Start by marking “Jeremy Cabbage and the Living Museum of Human Oddballs and Quadruped Delights” as Want to Read:
Jeremy Cabbage and the Living Museum of Human Oddballs and Quadruped Delights

Jeremy Cabbage and the Living Museum of Human Oddballs and Quadruped Delights

Jeremy Cabbage is an orphan stuck at Harpwitch’s Home for Mean Dogs, Ugly Cats, and Strey Children, where the dogs are treated better than the kids. And things aren’t much better on the outside: the city is ruled by the arrogant and foolish Baron Ignatius von Strompié, whose Wisdom Wagons ride the streets blaring out gems like “Ignorance is bliss,” and who’s on a campaign ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Jeremy Cabbage and the Living Museum of Human Oddballs and Quadruped Delights

Andrea
Jun 24, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! So many great moments of wisdom shown through a young boy in here! It is a wonderful way to generate discussions on stereotypes and treating people differently just because of the way they look in a classroom. I am excited to start next year with this as my first read aloud!
Kate
Mar 14, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
So far I am really enjoying the alterna-world Jeremy lives in. I love the idea of "cloons". Now, that is awesome!! I also love that Tiny was not all bad, I sometimes get so sick of one dimensional characters. So, thank goodness for that! Super cute book!
Joanne
Sep 18, 2010 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, whimsical book for young adults.
Karen
Aug 28, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a youth book, very cute and deep. Amy, you should read it.
Charlyn
Polly pulled the baby from a cabbage-filled box stamped "Jeremy" so she named him Jeremy Cabbage. She cared for Jeremy and several other stray children staying inside one of the libraries the Baron had closed. Jeremy felt safe and happy there until they were raided by the PatPats. He had no idea what happened to Polly, but he ended up in the Harpwitch's Home for Mean Dogs, Ugly Cats, and Strey Children where there really were no cats , but both dogs and children were sold.

At age 11, Jeremy wa
Lizzy
Sep 19, 2010 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Jeremy's society, there's a disease that changes regular people into cloons. What's the difference between a clown and a cloon, you ask? Well, to quote my friend Sam, "A clown is a person underneath, and a cloon is a cloon underneath." Due to the Baron Ignatius von Strompie, cloons are ostracized in Jeremy's community. In fact, there are some who want to run them out altogether.

This is quite honestly the most unique book that I've ever read. I'm not even really sure how to review it, because
Matthew Winner
Feb 16, 2009 Matthew Winner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sure this is an absolutely excellent book. I am sure readers will love the Baron character and the mysterious disease causing you men and women to transform into clowns (complete with round, red nose and big feet). I am sure there's a lot here to love, but it just takes a little too much time to pick up.

There will be an audience which this book is perfect for, but for the reluctant readers... for the students who need to be able to love a story from the first chapter... for the students to
Pat
Jul 28, 2009 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ages 8-12 - Quirky book that defies genre classification - it is the story of a young orphan boy named Jeremy who is desperately looking for a way out of Harpwitch's Home for Mean Dogs, Ugly Cats, and Stray Children. He lives in a world where books have been taken away and trees, flowers, and grass have been replaced with plastic (looks nicer). The country is ruled by a foolish tyrant named Baron von Strompei who wishes to get rid of anyone who looks different or speaks his mind. After a couple ...more
Andi
Elliott’s book thoroughly mixes different creative elements to come up with the perfect blend; it is an adventure story with excellent characterization and it deals with social problems on an individual scale. What really stands out about this book, however, is the vivid and witty descriptions that begin on the first page and continue until the last. Elliott’s use of creative metaphors and similes makes the imagery jump from the page. The author also has clever phasing, which often leads to subt ...more
Erin Sterling
Jeremy Cabbage is stuck at Harpwitch’s Home for Mean Dogs, Ugly Cats, and Strey Children, where kids are treated worse than dogs. In a world ruled by an intolerant baron and his horrible wife where people are imprisoned on a daily basis and real trees are being replaced with plastic trees, Jeremy finds a family in the bustling life of circus people, or cloons as they're otherwise known. The book is funny and clever and has the winning combination of a fast-moving plot and head-strong, take-charg ...more
Gwen the Librarian
Jeremy Cabbage is an orphan named for the barrel of cabbages in which he was found as a baby by the kind, but also orphaned child, Polly. When the Baron's evil raiders break up their enclave of abandoned children, Jeremy and Polly are separated and Jeremy is sent to a series of dreary and unkind foster homes. Jeremy is eventually adopted by a circus, where he is much happier, but he never gives up his search for his beloved Polly. Nefarious plots by the stupid, evil, and egotistical Baron lend u ...more
Karyn The Pirate
I could not get into this book. It probably is timing but I found the beginning a little too confusing. It starts with a child being sold to a woman who looked at him "like she was picking out an item at a store that she had to have but didn't much want." Not a lovely sentiment. I will probably give this book a second look at a future time. Maybe it gets better in the middle.
Erin
Jun 05, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
I thought this was just going to be stupid, but it was really cute. It felt like a good read-aloud choice (like Tale of Despereaux), and I can definitely see it appealing to fans of Lemony Snicket and The Mysterious Benedict Society. It's silly, but it also has a lot of heart and tells a great story about family, love, and fitting in.
Lupine
Well, I am giving it a rounded up 3 stars because I can see how it is an appealing book and I wish I could have finished it. Somewhere around the middle I just could not make myself pick it up again. That being said, it does have a quirky humor that I generally like and I was really hoping to enjoy it more...maybe I couldn't get past the clowns?
Suzanne Eastman
Quirky adventure story about a young boy who ultimately finds the true meaning of family. Unusual characters embelish this simple story line that takes place in a world run by a crazy dictator. Good simplistic example of how ineffective a dictator can be for society. This book reminds me of Roald Dahl story telling.
Amy
Mar 31, 2009 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Booklegger review book for 5th/6th grade. I wanted to like it, hoping it would appeal to boys--- I thought the Oliver Twist scenario might just be the ticket. However, the fairy tale twist with the bizzare clowns/ "cloons" just didn't hook me. I've never been a fan of clowns though.
Jaden Oliver
This book is da bomb!
Daria
Jan 27, 2009 Daria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a ton! The ending is a bit too tidy but the story grabbed me - I read it quite quickly.
Rory
Jan 15, 2010 Rory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think it is boring
Beth
Oct 23, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Beth by: The Allen County Public Library's Mock Newbery reading list
I love this book more than I can put into words. Read it. Right now. Right this very minute. Go!
Peg
Oct 20, 2008 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting characters and premis
Catherine
Madcap, absurd, a touch Dickensian. I liked the writing and appreciate that the author didn't hold back on using wordplay and the occasional high vocabulary word.
Maggi Rohde
Mar 30, 2009 Maggi Rohde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Really fun and strange! There are too many plot holes, but it was different and I really enjoyed that.
Caroline
Jan 24, 2009 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a great book.
Keara
May 21, 2011 Keara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it but it was a bit confusing at times.
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Colby
Colby rated it did not like it
Dec 22, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2017
SCLS  Youth Services
SCLS Youth Services rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2009
CuriousLibrarian
CuriousLibrarian rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...