Start by marking “Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses” as Want to Read:
Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses

Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,748 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Few novelists today write with the power to move our hearts, quicken our souls, and enrich our lives like Luanne Rice. In "New York Times" bestsellers such as "Dance with Me, BeachGirls, " and "The Secret Hour," she vividly captures the dramas that make all the difference in love and families. Now, revisiting the remarkable characters introduced in her bestselling"Summer's ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses

Rebekah
The story of a woman who has taken her daughter and left an abusive husband to start a new, secret life in Nova Scotia. Only now her mother's health is failing and she must take the risk of returning home, meeting her husband, and encountering the detective who is still out to solve this missing persons case. This would make a great addition to the Lifetime, Stories for Women channel. But I never watch that channel. The whole time I was reading I felt like I was wearing rose-colored glasses. Too ...more
Kristy Trauzzi
May 06, 2011 Kristy Trauzzi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably no one
Ruthie
the conclusion of Summer’s Child… i already read this last year, but decided to read it again after i finished Summer’s Child.. everything in the book made sense now after reading the first part.. i used to skim this book to find explanations for some events mentioned but can never find one.. it’s so nice to finally understand the whole story after so long..

Lily Malone, with her daughter, Rose Malone, and new found love, Liam Neill, returned to Hubbard’s Point to care for her ill grandmother, Ma
Julie Barrett
Summer of Roses Book 2 by Luanne Rice
Lily and her friend Liam are back in Hubbard Point, CT at her grandmother's house after she left to go to the hospital.
They arrived from Nova Scotia where Lily had hidden out for over 9 years.
Patrick Murphy is the detective who found her and informed her of her grandmother's illness.
Lily is afraid her husband, Edward will find out and come get their daughter from her.
Love reading about familiar treasured things: moonstones, flowers, sea life, sounds from the
Julie
I thought it was a little cheesy. A woman flees to Canada to hide from her husband. You don't find out why until you are 3/4 through the book. What are the chances that another woman also is in hiding from the same man, lives in the same town? A little too much whale watching and Gaelicness for me.
Brandie
very cheesy...if you love the over-the-top lovey dovey stuff...this is for you!
Kin
Read: March 28- April 1, 2014
7.5 Hours
"It's no use comparing yourself with others. Not just in height, but in life. It's how you grow inside--how you try and how you learn from your mistakes--that counts. That's all that matters, sweetheart."

Summer of Roses is about the irrevocable love of a mother, healing a heart that once had been broken and opening it to love again.
Rice has the power to weave words and make it into beautiful prose. The way Rice connects two things, nature and human love, was
Chris
this review is from another reviewer
The story of Lily and Rose was good. It was interesting, I liked hearing about her relationship with Edward. I liked the warning that was put in there. So many people have these little nagging doubts when in a relationship or before marriage - and they ignore it. It's just best not to. I liked her "escape", I liked her return.

Then you toss in Marissa. Ok, fine. While she might be a somewhat part of the story . . . Just - not really. I mean, what are the odds
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was a great sequel to Summer's Child...I enjoyed finding out where the characters had come from in more detail and what happen to them after-the-fact. Not as much psychological tension as I had expected but there were several things that I felt were very real and true to life from day-to-day.

Coming from a totally abusive relationship of 28 years, I know what it is like to feel trapped in a place where there seems to be no home. Only if I would have had someone to help me or had provision en
Wei Cho
My first Luanne Rice book. Lovely, endearing, warm.

Book in context: This is the sequel to her story Summer's Child. Many recommend reading Summer's Child first before attempting to comprehend the complexity of Summer of Roses, which I didn't do. That said, this is the first book I read out of my comfort zone (fantasy and Classics), and to be honest, I enjoyed every page turn.

This book addresses the delicate issue of domestic violence and the emotional scars it leaves. Luanne Rice centers her mes
Jennifer Wardrip
SUMMER OF ROSES is the perfect sequel to last year's SUMMER'S CHILD. The relationships that began in that first book--that between Lily and Liam; the health of young Rose; the fleeing of Marisa and her daughter, Jessica; the culmination of former detective Patrick's search for Maura; the ending health crisis of Maeve; the horrors rendered by abuser Edward Hunter--are all beautifully brought to a conclusion.

I loved SUMMER'S CHILD, but was sometimes irritated at the slow pace of the storyline sta
Kris
4 STARS

"On the windswept coast of Nova Scotia, two friends and their young daughters have found refuge in the rugged community of Cape Hawk. Lily Malone and nine-year-old Rose are making a new home with a man who will do whatever it takes to protect them. Marisa Taylor and young Jessica are beginning to recapture the music that once filled their world with joy. But now a stranger from faraway New England has made his way to Cape Hawk, bearing secrets from the past and news of an uncertain future
Gina
I have read many of Luanne Rice's books and I am not sure if it was because I was listening to this as an audio book or if it was because it seemed to be a second book in a series and I was definitely missing some giant pieces of information. This book just wasn't up to par with what I am used to reading by Rice. Like I said, I feel like I was missing huge chunks of the story even though it doesn't say it is part of a series. No matter what, there are far better Rice novels out there and I would ...more
My mom left this book for me, having finished it while at my house. I don't normally go for mysteries, but she said she thought i'd like it. Set in Nova Scotia, as was previous book, The Birth House, i felt like a temporary Canadian resident for the month. This book was a suspenseful tale of a woman faking her death and leaving her horribly abusive husband. Set nine years later after giving birth to his baby who is now nearly nine, Rose is the love of her life. She meets a new freind with a frig ...more
Susie
Light romance with a dark side. Women and the people in their lives unite against a psychopathic ex husband. Beautiful descriptions of coastline from Ct and RI to Nova Scotia.
Toni May
a book worth my time reading. i really like the authors' way of writing.
Jackie
Love this book and the first one also.
Amy Johnson
Better than Summer's Child.
Sally Gibson
Really enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down. Very good book.
Heidi
I had read Summer's Child by Luanne Rice a while ago. While my mother had given me this book, I had not realized it was a sequel to Summer's Child. It was nice to be back in Cape Hawk with Lily and Marisa....Liam and Patrick....Rose and Jessica. This book is a story about the strength of woman who can overcome even physical or emotional abuse. It is a story about mistrusting love and learning to trust it once again. It is a story about endings and new beginnings. It is a story that in the end, r ...more
Leigh
Summer of Roses was a good book that I enjoyed, but it is just a little too idyllic. One of the author's books was made into a mini-series for the Hallmark channel and that's what this felt like too - everything was just too perfect and all the characters were either amazingly talented, perfectly good people, or totally evil. It's almost nauseating how much they all loved each other. A nice story, but I probably won't be checking out this author's other books.
Carla
Nov 05, 2007 Carla rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not a soul on my friends list
The short story is, I could not and did not finish this book. I was looking for light reading. I got hooked from an on-line readers service that feeds you portions of a book daily for five days. I picked up where I left off when the emails ended but half way through the book, I truly did not care about any of the characters or the story. It seemed maudlin and trite. If you are a Rice fan, I respect you but she is not for me.
Ceecee
Sue
This is a sequel to Summer's Child. Lily returns to her childhood home to care for her Grandmother. However she may be putting her daughter at risk when she returns. Lily's past and present collide as she determines she is a stronger person now and will do everything she can to protect her daughter, the man she loves and the life they have.
I liked this book but felt that it was pretty simple. It dealt with some big issues and seemed to simplfy them too much. It seemed to only touch the suface of abuse and the effects of it. The romance in the book is nice but I never really identified with the characters so I really didn't care that much that they got together.
Terri Tinkel
This book is the sequel to Summer's Child. It helps tie up some of the storylines from the original book. I enjoyed it as much as, if not more than, the original story. Lots of drama and revelations of old secrets. Both of these books are perfect to be read together on a long beach vacation. I am sure you will enjoy both stories.
Wanda Troupe
Good summer read - or in between book. I can't read these feel good, Hallmark books all the time but sometimes I just want a good story that warms my heart and is easy to read. These last two books did the trick for me. I know some readers will give this one a "corny" rating but I guess I was in the mood for corny. LOL
Karen Burck
On the windswept coast of Nova Scotia, two friends and young daughters found refuge in the rugged community of Cape Hawk. One women and her daughter are making a home with a man who will protect them from no matter what. Each women will be faced with choices that will irrevocably shape their lives forever.
Cindy
I might have liked this one better if I had read Summer's Child first. Also, I thought it was truly bizarre that two American women, both married to and abused by the same man, ended up in the same remote town in Nova Scotia and became friends. That seemed a bit far-fetched for my liking!
  • One More Sunrise
  • Summer by the Sea
  • Prospect Street
  • The Painter's Apprentice
  • Playing with Matches: A Novel
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home Firefly Beach The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine

“The music never leaves. Once you have it, you can't lose it.” 11 likes