Start by marking “FBI Girl” as Want to Read:
FBI Girl

FBI Girl

From an evocative new voice comes the touching childhood memoir of an Irish Catholic girl struggling to connect with her enigmatic FBI agent father.

Young Maura Conlons dad is a secret agent. And Maura knows what that means: chasing cars, jumping over buildings, handcuffing bad guys, just like on The FBI, her favorite TV show. But no matter how many times Maura asks her fat

Published June 13th 2007 (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about FBI Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FBI Girl

fleegan
Aug 13, 2007 fleegan rated it really liked it
This was a memoir. And it was very good. It's about this girl who grows up in California with her family in the '60s and '70s and her dad is an FBI agent. She loves her dad. Her dad though, seems a little weird to me. He rarely talks. I dunno. She would ask him a question and he wouldn't acknowledge her. She was all, "Well, that's my dad. I knew he was talking to me in code." and I'm thinking, "No honey, he's just an asshole."

The girl reminds me of me. She was all into Nancy Drew and baseball an
Michelle
May 08, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
This book was the beginning of my enjoyment of non-fiction reading. It reads like an eloquent novel. It tells the story of a family -- a girl growing up and coming to understand her parents' relationship, her extended family and the joy of having a Downs Syndrome sibling. Maybe I enjoyed this book so much because I am similar in age to the author and I recongnized a lot of the cultural icons she writes about. The detail is vivid and the people interesting and complicated ... and best of all -- ...more
James Carmichael
Mar 31, 2008 James Carmichael rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Charming, warm, witty memoir of growing up in the late 1960s with an uncommunicative father who works for the FBI, a Down Syndrome brother, and a mother holding the family together. That probably sounds like the setup for a memoir, but the whole thing is really carried by Conlon-McIvor's very straightforward but graceful writing and the depth of feeling she consistently conveys: her own for her family members, her mother for herself and her siblings, and even her buttoned up father.
Michele Vallor
Jul 03, 2014 Michele Vallor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I am sure in part due to the similarities I share with the writer. My dad was in the FBI, my parents moved from the east coast to the west coast, we were a large Catholic family. I used to pretend that my Barbie dolls were FBI agents. I was so fascinated with my father's job, just like Maura Conlon. And I laughed when she wrote about her sizzler dress with matching undergarments. I hadn't heard "sizzler dress" since junior high. Fun read!
Oct 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Maura's memoir is an easy read and even if you can't relate to the specific challenges she and her family encounter you can't help but relate to some of the underlying issues the family experiences along the way. It's a story about discovering yourself, loving your family through the ups and downs and learning, as you grow, that your parents are just real people too.
Emily
May 10, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I'm in the minority here. To me, this book sounded more interesting than it turned out to be. The writing was beautiful but that was the book's only saving grace (in my humble opinion). The journey we take with the protagonist just didn't feel like much of a journey at all. Not recommended by me, but obviously it's very popular with others.
Kaitlin
Oct 20, 2008 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
It was really good!! I had to read this for English for a choice novel and it had to be nonfiction. So I chose this book. It taught me about love, the character learns to love her little brother that has Down Syndrome then most of all she learned how to love her father more. Very good!!!!! My kind of nonfiction!!!
Tasha
Feb 10, 2009 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much.has Story of Daughter of an FBI agent. The difficulties growing up with a father that barely communicates with his family. A touching tale of their family through a shy girl who loves them, loves her down's syndrome brother, admires her mother's strengths, and adores her father and tries to decode his silence.
Lori
Aug 08, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
To me the description on the book made it sound much more exciting than it really was. I was looking for a murder at the beginning of the book and more excitement. But, beyond that, it was a good memoir. The author's writing was very descriptive and I loved hearing about the her life growing up. Just change the book cover to accurately describe the book. Good book! Bad cover description!
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
Conlon-McIvor's memoir shares stories of growing up as the daughter of a reticent, mysterious FBI agent.
Marie
Apr 11, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Funny, quirky memoir of a girl growing up in the 60s/70s as the daugher of an FBI agent and the sister of a Down's syndrome boy.
Jessie
Jan 22, 2016 Jessie rated it liked it
Gwennie
Feb 05, 2008 Gwennie rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, poignant love story...about a family, and a father and daughter's love for one another, which they both find difficult to express, and so they do in code. I cried.
Denise Lamonte
Denise Lamonte rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2012
S
S rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Lizzie Bennet
Lizzie Bennet rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Zear Gestrix
Zear Gestrix rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2007
Corine
Corine rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2011
Jessica Hill
Jessica Hill rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Emily Scarborough
Emily Scarborough rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Kristine
Kristine rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2014
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
May 21, 2011
Mara
Mara rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014