Start by marking “Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan, #5)

Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan #5)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  668 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Kate Brannigan isn't just having a bad day. She's having a bad week. The worst week of her life, if you really want to know. Her boyfriend's death notice is in the newspaper, her plans to capture a team of heartless fraudsters are in disarray, and a Celtic neo-punk band under siege want her to rescue them from the saboteurs who are trashing their posters and their gigs. As ...more
Published 1999 by Harper Collins (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Genes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Genes

The Cats Mother
I took a break from this series, but do want to finish it, and enjoyed this one more than the last couple. As before, Kate investigates a few unrelated cases and solves a personal dilemma at the same time, solving the murder of a fertility specialist who has been treating her best friend Alexis, helping out a punk band whose gigs are being sabotaged by Mancunian organised crime elements, and finding a new partner when Bill falls in love with an Australian and decides to emigrate. The book came o ...more
Emma
Feb 14, 2009 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like Val McDermid in general but this one is the only Kate Brannigan's book I've read so far, and I wasn't too impressed. I really prefer the Tony Hill series or the books outside any series.
Maybe because I haven't started with the first book in the Brannigan series, and it left me with the feeling of missing some inside jokes/references.
Mary Vermillion
Nov 24, 2012 Mary Vermillion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While trying to find a new business partner, Kate tackles three cases: a fly-posting scam, a burial scam, and a murder case involving a murdered fertility specialist. This last was particularly interesting to me since my own Seminal Murder also features such a scientist. McDermid's scientist, however, is more ambitious than my fictional one, creating female babies with the X chromosomes of two women!

In the acknowledgments to this 1996 novel, McDermid writes, "What is outlined in this novel is mo
Esther
I picked this up because we were fans of the TV series Wire in the Blood and I was mildly concerned the murder might be a little gory and dark.

Imagine my surprise when I found myself laughing out loud. Ms McDermid has a very English, more-than-slighty-snarky turn of phrase which I found most amusing and was the main reason I liked this book so much and would be happy to read more.
The story was a science-based mystery but she didn't drag us into too much excruciating detail. There were some good
Victoria
This was a quick, fun read, centering around the theme of In Vitro Fertilization, with a subplot involving music/band promoters. This is the first Val McDermid book I've read, and I will probably read more. The detective, Kate Brannigan, is another one of those "tough-talking female private eye" stereotypes (yawn), but McDermid writes with a great, snarky sense of humor.
Kathy
Aug 01, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first Val McDermid I've read, and I am willing to try her again (particularly because I gather her fans don't think this her strongest book). The running of three mysteries in one was at first a positive for me, but towards the end...well, it gave a scattered, breathless sort of approach to it all. Can't fault her for being superficial when dealing with grave matter, because most of the mysteries I read are (I mean, they start with someone dead, and what could be more grave than that ...more
Sylvia
Feb 11, 2014 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than average private eye book. The plot is creative and moves along well. I have now added a new author to my favourite mystery writers.this is McDermid,s first novel starring pi Kate brannigan. Now she has written several about this pi, some of which have been filmed for television. I love mysteries set in London/ England.
Claire Chat de bibliothèques
J'ai beaucoup aimé cette histoire de détective privée qui part dans tous les sens, avec un bon rythme et beaucoup d'humour!

Lillian E.
Oct 22, 2012 Lillian E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Boyle
Jul 29, 2015 Roger Boyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jolly good romp with many place and street names you can visit for real. Unusual racy style with no gaps. Rather too many preconditions for success.
Shehab El-Hariry
Not my cup of tea
the book is divided into 3 cases that happen at the same time without any connections between them
I was not very entertained by the style of writting or the subject discussed
Erin
Jul 30, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left me seriously curious about in vitro fertilization and the possibilities thereof. As McDermid says in her forward, the subject of the mystery is something that science could probably do and just hasn't yet. It's funny because this book is well over ten years old, so you'd think the science would sound like even more of a reality today...but I think we're still hamstrung by those same ethical issues that the mystery in this book surrounds.

In any case, this was another great entry in
Rach
Sep 08, 2014 Rach rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get into this at all so could t finish reading it. Maybe one day I will try again.
Joan
Apr 21, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Kate Brannigan mystery set in Manchester:)
Richard Thompson
Oct 28, 2011 Richard Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A Kate Brannigan mystery.

Kate has a lot on her plate in this one: her business partner is selling his share of the agency and moving to Australia, her lesbian friends are expecting a baby, a sleazy couple are running a scam selling non-existent headstones, and someone is sabotaging Dan Druff and the Scabby Heided Bairns.

I am really enjoying this series. Unfortunately, this the last one of the series in the local library so I will have to resort to inter-library loans for the other three.
Jasmiina F
Mar 29, 2013 Jasmiina F rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Blue Genes is a crime novel about Kate Brannigan who is a private investigator. I think this is the fifth book about Kate. It bothered me a bit that I hadn’t read the previous parts, but I think this can be read seperately too. I liked the themes in Blue Genes, even though some topics made me a bit uneasy... The life of Kate seemed nicely real in a way and I enjoyed the different characters. But now I miss Manchester again!
Suzan
Aug 19, 2012 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book this month I've wanted to give a 3.5 - it's better than my light summer reads, but not up to Val's usual standard. Kate Brannigan's investigation was a bit all over the place and the pieces shouldn't have fit quite as easily as they did. A few nice twists, and again well written but just not my favourite. (Most of her Tony Hill series would get a 5* from me. And usually Kate would get a clear 4*).
Lidia
May 01, 2013 Lidia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the author and Kate but this time the plot is a bit "extreme" ,so if the theme of infertility is serius , that envisaged in the book is pure sci-fi, in contrast the other two misteries that are simple. Must also admit, that first few pages have upset me,
this I must give credit to the skill of the writer for how knows "mislead" the reader.
Beckett
Not as compelling as the other Brannigan novels. The plotlines felt a bit unbalanced, with none of the investigations feeling like it was the main focus. Plot developments came out of nowhere, and the resolutions felt a bit truncated. However, Val McDermid's wry style makes any Brannigan novel a pleasure to read. Blue Genes just isn't her best.
Kui
Jan 25, 2014 Kui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her strongest but still a good one. Felt like it was a bit slow on the beginning..but the plot gets better as the book winds down.
Anne
Jun 20, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only McDermid I've read so far is this series and I'm just starting the last one. I'm not crazy about them but they pass the time. Too dated now, for one thing, plus so much slang/jargon that is local and not easily "gotten" by someone from California. I look forward to reading her other works.
Grania
Dec 09, 2013 Grania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amoralists
Read this while travelling, and it was marginally more diverting than staring out the window at clouds. In future I would rather poke out my eyes than read another Val McDermid. I have tried to remove the one star from this review, as it's overly generous.
Jen
Sep 05, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick and easy escape from reality book - nothing too deep but enough suspense and plenty of humour
Wendy
Apr 13, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous and enjoyable. Very different from her tony hill novels
Amanda Patterson
Aug 03, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one for some reason?
TJ
Tracy Kelly
Feb 28, 2009 Tracy Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Patrick Miller
Patrick Miller rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2016
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Crow Stone
  • Fatlands (Hannah Wolfe, #2)
  • The Fast Track Detox Diet
  • Perfectly Correct
  • The Promised Land
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • Harry's Game
  • The Oxford Murders
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • The Dain Curse, The Glass Key, and Selected Stories
  • The Smoke
  • The Second Mouse (Joe Gunther #17)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)
  • The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)
  • Blood Hunt (Jack Harvey #3)
Val McDermid is a No. 1 bestseller whose novels have been translated into more than thirty languages, and have sold over eleven million copies.

She has won many awards internationally, including the CWA Gold Dagger for best crime novel of the year and the LA Times Book of the Year Award. She was inducted into the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards Hall of Fame in 2009 and was the recipient of the CWA Cart
More about Val McDermid...

Kate Brannigan (6 books)
  • Dead Beat (Kate Brannigan, #1)
  • Kick Back (Kate Brannigan, #2)
  • Crack Down (Kate Brannigan, #3)
  • Clean Break (Kate Brannigan, #4)
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)

“Sometimes, the only things that make you feel good are the same ones that worked when you were five. Yes, I slammed the door” 5 likes