Start by marking “Lady of the Roses” as Want to Read:
Lady of the Roses

Lady of the Roses

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  35 reviews
During her short time as a ward in Queen Marguerite's Lancastrian court, fifteen-year-old Isobel has had many suitors ask for her hand, but the spirited beauty is blind to all but Yorkist Sir John Neville. It is nothing short of a miracle when the Queen allows Isobel's marriage to the enemy, albeit at a hefty price. All around Isobel and John rages a lawless war. It is onl ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Lady of the Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of the Roses

gia
It's a time frame-- during the Wars of the Roses-- that doesn't see a lot of attention. I had read Worth's novel The King's Daughter before I learned about Lady of the Roses; the former takes place one generation after the latter.

That said, I think that The King's Daughter is a slightly better book. Lady of the Roses is primarily about a woman who is almost impossibly perfect-- beautiful, kind, clever, all that stuff --who winds up marrying for love, and then she sits at home and watches all sor
Ana T.
I’ve been hearing lots of things about Sandra Worth and when the opportunity came to read this book I couldn’t let it pass. Especially as it is set during the Wars of the Roses which is a period in the history of England that I like to read about.

Lady of the Roses is about Isobel, a young heiress who grows up a ward of the crown – the crown being Queen Margaret of Lancaster – but falls in love with John Neville, a member of the House of York and brother of Warwick the Kingmaker. For a while the
Lauren
Lady of the Roses is yet another novel set during the Wars of the Roses and the tumultuous reigns of Henry VI and Edward IV. I had previously read Sandra Worth's Richard III trilogy. It wasn't amazing, but was readable enough and decided to follow up with Rose of York.

Anyhow, Lady of the Roses was an interesting read for two reasons. First, it is from a different perspective from most other novels in this period than I have encountered. The main character is the the little known Isobel, wife of
Heather
I found that this book started like a romantic historical fiction, which I tend to avoid, preferring as much history as possible without too much lovey-dovey sympathizing.
I became pleasantly surprised once Isobel gets her wish to marry John as I found the story became more about what was happening at the time and how it affected their lives, and this I found much more entertaining. Worth does a wonderful job of filling in historical details beyond this point, in my eyes.

Written very clearly, yet
Abigail
I read this 'cause I'll be playing Queen Margaret in RICHARD III in July, and I want to start getting a hold on this time period. But this book bored me---the author seems to have a following, but I didn't really get drawn in to her story or characters. Oh well.
Elaine
What a deightful and emotional read. Set in the Tudor era, Isobelle falls in love with the gallant knight, John (Ok, that makes it sound rather like a fairytale!) The novel follows their lives together, their trials and tribulations-but what shines through is their undying love for one another-and their rather large family,their children, and extended family at large.

If I have any criticism, it would be to suggest that the two protagonists were rather stylised, and "perfect". Isobelle's patince
Wendy Dunn
Silent words fell from my heart, and, bartering with the Fates, I sought a gift and made a promise. Lady of Roses.

Historical fiction author Sandra Worth is a modern day troubadour. Through her meticulously researched work, she sings the stories of kings and queens, knights and their ladies, bringing to the fore people of the past to speak to us today. In her latest lyrical novel, Worth recounts the story of Isobel Ingoldesthorpe, a ward of Marguerite of Anjou, and John Neville, the man Isobel lo
ZaBeth
Sandra Worth has written a compelling tale of love and war in England in her Tudor novel, Lady of the Roses. The heroine, Isobel, is a passionate and headstrong girl who enters the playing field because of her land-rich inheritance. Ward of Queen Marguerite of Anjou, Isobel sees up close the pressure and madness that comes with the crown. Everyone at court has their own agenda and Kings and Queens must put aside their own desires in their bid to hold on to England. Everything and everyone is a p ...more
Rebecca Hill
When I first started this book, I wasnt sure that I was going to enjoy it. But as I got into the book deeper I had a greater appreciation for Lady Isobel.

As a young woman she was blinded by love for Sir John Neville, but knows that nothing can ever come of it, especially since they are different sides of the war, the Lancastrians and the Yorkists. Somehow Queen Marguerite de Anjou finally agrees to the match of Lady Isobel and Sir John.
Their love story is one of the greats, a true love of each
Thalia
I quite liked this as it came across quite believable and seemingly well researched and depicted. The last parts of the "War of the Roses" (Pre-Richardian) are depicted here with Isobel, married into the Nevilles (ie Warwick) being the main character so it's told from her viewpoint. I think I liked The King's Daughter a bit better and actually I would recommend reading that one first if you're a newbie to this time period like I was. But back to this book. The writing was sound, the story was in ...more
April
This book was painful to read. It was so depressing. I sat and cried when I was done with it. People have called it a love story, but I call it a depressing one.
Despite that, this book was well written and I have loved all of Sandra Worth's books! It was just so painfully depressing to me! I found myself thanking God that I live now instead of back then.
I wish I would have read this one before I read her three books on Richard III. This was a recap of a lot that was covered in the Richard books,
Peggy Whyte
We'll researched, but also quite romanticized. A good read.
Minerva
An enjoyable mix of history and love story, bringing to life John Neville and his wife Isobel. A bit too over the top at times in its description of their love, slightly cringe worthy in fact, but otherwise it flowed well. It's worth a read to learn more about John Neville, although the reader has to beware that there is little actual history here and more interpretation of events, and so there is much more fiction than perhaps you might find in other historical fiction books.
Chandra
Lady of the Roses is set in late medieval England, during the Wars of the Roses, more specifically, the period leading up to the dynastic changes. The story is deftly crafted and meticulously researched. Most importantly, Worth takes great care not to stray from the historical record in her novels. This is a real page-turner which I give pride of place on the shelf next to my other favorite historical fiction authors!
Wendy Hamstra-smith
I love historical fiction-in particular about the English monarchy. I just started delving into the War of the Roses (Lancaster/York civil war) because I was so stuck on the Tudor period.

This book was good but not very meaty. It was mostly the love story between Lady Isobel and Sir John Neville (York camp). It didn't capture my interest as much as other books of this genre have.
Taylor
Yes it's a romance. Yes Isobel and John are too good to be true. No it's not historically accurate. Yes some of the scenes are beyond ridiculous. But in the end I gave it five stars because, more so than most books written about this period, it really conveyed the anguish, despair, anxiety, and horror of the times. Well done.
Charis
Well written, far more detailed than most historical fiction I have read. However, while the context is the War of the Roses, the story is primarily a love story. It is also clear where the author stands on York vs. Lancaster. Read with the understanding that a lot of liberties are taken!
Amanda
Meh. The story follows Isobel from the time she is 15 to her 30s; however, there is little character development. She may have well remained 15 for the entire book. I didn't want to leave the book unfinished, but I couldn't wait to get to the last page so I could start something else.
Renae
Jan 06, 2010 Renae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers
Worth is a wonderfully talented writer. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel and went back to the book store for more of her books. I am now a big fan of historical fiction and curious to learn more about the periods of history she writes about.
Stephanie
I really enjoyed it, even though it may be a bit too much "romance" for some people. It was interesting to get the story from the neville side. John would be someone I'd like to read about more in other books. I do enjoy a little romance once in a while!
Sharon
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. A little bit of a history lesson (probably a VERY little bit) but it made me interested in reading more about that particular period in history. Engaging story and characters, too.
Samantha
Great look at the Wars of the Roses. The book showed the trying times for the wife of a knight. I enjoyed this book and look forward to supplementing it with some nonfiction, now that my interest has been piqued again.
Marilyn
This is my favorite Sandra Worth historical novel. I loved it from start to finish. I couldn't put it down then I did a speed reading again. This one grabbed my heart! Koo-dos! to Sandra Worth
Abigail
Decent hist-fic. It wasn't great, but it was enjoyable. I didn't get much out of the main character, rather 2 dimensional, but the details were accurate and interesting.
Carissa
I hadn't read much about John Neville before this book. Isobel is a great character. Nice to see this period of history from a different perspective than usual.
Julie
Not a deep thinking book, but well written and entertaining. I learned a lot about this period of history and enjoyed the fictional side of the story as well.
Christi
I might be becoming obsessed with English monarchies. I wish I would have read this one before "The King's Daughter." The King's Daughter was definitely better.
Bea
This book was ok. It was a different time period than I usually read so that was interesting. It was a bit repetitive and overwrought though.
The book is enjoyable, however it is a constant list of events. The author, Sandra Worth needs to learn how to show and not tell.
Carlina
I enjoyed reading this book. I could hardly put it down. English history is amazing!
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • Harlot Queen
  • Treason
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Queen of Last Hopes: The Story of Margaret of Anjou
  • Daughter of York
  • The Reluctant Queen: The Story of Anne of York (Queens of England, #8)
  • Blood Royal
  • The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3)
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty
  • The Queen's Pawn
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Virgin Widow: England's Forgotten Queen
  • The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
Sandra Worth is the author of six historical novels chronicling the demise of the Plantagenet dynasty in England and the rise of the Tudors. She is the winner of numerous awards and prizes, including three Reviewers Choice Awards. For more info, visit sandraworth.com
More about Sandra Worth...
The King's Daughter. A Novel of the First Tudor Queen (Rose of York) The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1) Pale Rose of England The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2) The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)

“More than any of us, she had written her own story; yet she could not wash it out with all her tears, return to her victims what she had torn from them, and by so doing, save herself...” 12 likes