Start by marking “The Sandman: Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Sandman: Book of Dreams

The Sandman: Book of Dreams (The Sandman Book of Dreams)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  4,424 ratings  ·  129 reviews
The most successful, most imitated, and most honored adult comic of all time, "The Sandman" features moody, twisted tales that have made Morpheus, Lord of the Dreaming, an icon recognized across the globe. This long-awaited anthology features works by such luminaries as Clive Barker, Nancy A. Collins, Gene Wolf, and many others.
Published March 19th 1997 by Harper Voyager (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman

John Kirk
Like most anthologies, this is a mixed bag, i.e. some stories are better than others. However, even the best don't measure up to the standards of the Sandman comics, so I don't recommend it; at the very least, it's a book to borrow rather than buy.

My favourite story is "Splatter" (by Will Shetterly), set during The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists. It works well on its own merits, but it doesn't quite fit with the source material. (view spoiler)
PurplyCookie
For eight years, Gaiman mined this rich vein, only to stop at the height of the series' popularity, at a point in time when he felt the story he had in mind from the beginning had reached its natural conclusion. Gaiman's creations live on however, in DC's new series "The Dreaming", and in this anthology, written by several mainstream (i.e., non-comic book) writers.

Of Morpheus, from the Preface by Frank McConnell: "He is not a god; he is older than all the gods, and is their cause. He is the hum
Julia
This is a collection of 18 stories by various authors (not Gaiman himself) who have written their pieces based on Gaiman's great concept of the Endless and of Morpheus, the Sandman, the King of Dreams. I only found two of them to be compelling--hence the three stars. But the two stories themselves are 5 stars for each. These two were the only ones to really bring the Dreaming World into the tale.

Barbara Hambly uses Gaiman's Cain and Abel to compose a chilling story called "Each Damp Thing", whe
Olethros
-Buen intento, señores, aunque no se logre lo que los lectores esperaban.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de relatos, todos escritos para este volumen, basados en el mundo que Neil Gaiman creó en la serie de comics “The sandman”, con aportación gráfica de Clive Barker, prefacio de Frank McConnell, epílogo de Tori Amos (el mismo texto introductorio a “Muerte: el alto coste de la vida”) y comentarios introductorios a cada relato del propio Gaiman, interesantes en general por los di
Airiz C
I’ll be blunt—this is perhaps not the best anthology of short stories about Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman graphic novels. They are not on par with the quality of the original series, although that’s not saying this collection is totally unreadable. It's just...dominated with duds. There are some shorts that are so engrossing like “Each Damp Thing,” “Splatter,” (my favorite!) and “Stoppt Clock Yard.” I also liked Tori Amos’ epilogue about Death, although technically it’s more like a personal reflecti ...more
Heather
The best thing I can say about this collection of stories is that it makes the source material that much better in comparison.
Tara Hall
I have been a fan of Neil Gaiman since the 90s, and so when I saw this anthology of short stories based on his characters, I picked it up used. It took me a long time to read, as most of the stories were not ones that kept me on the edge of my seat. It also had been some time since I had read Sandman, and though I once had been familiar with the seven siblings Dream, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction, Delirium, and Destiny, remembering them took about half the book.
Anthologies are hard to rate
Izlinda
I don't know if the newer printed edition of this (paperback, and with a different cover) is in any way different from this edition (hardcover with a yellow and blue cover with a raven). But I don't think they are, and this was the only the library had available.

It is strange to read stories in prose based in this universe made by Neil Gaiman. I've read the Dreaming and Destiny graphic novels after finishing the series (and the two Death graphic novels and the one drawn by Yoshitaka Amano) so sw
Elizabeth Wallace
I recently grabbed this book off my shelf, intending to just reread my favorite story "An Extra Smidge of Eternity" by Robert Rodi. And somehow ending up rereading the whole thing. I'm AMAZED at how much I'd forgotten from the last time I read it, because they're certainly not forgettable. I think I had as much fun reading this as I did the very first time I read it.

"Splatter" by Will Shetterly is pretty disturbing, but it's wonderful for all of us who wanted to hear just a teeny bit more about
Kitty
Ho hum, ho hum, after the absolute power house that was The Sandman I find myself assured in my beliefs that no one but Neil himself should ever write for the series. Over all this was a very bland collection of stories hat at times had very little to do with any of The Endless that ranged from mediocre to down right painful for the most of the book. However there were a few good pieces in here that definitely made it worth while to drudge through the lesser parts.

Masquerade & High Water, A
Kris
A mixed bag, to be honest. There were some real winners, like Robert Rodi's "An Extra Smidgen of Eternity" and Delia Sherman's "The Witch's Heart". It was nice to see Susannah Clarke's story as well; I started reading her work because Neil Gaiman had said in an interview that she was an author he enjoyed. I didn't care for Lawrence Schimel's "Endless Sestina", but I don't, as a rule, like a lot of poetry. According to wikipedia, several other authors (including Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen, Charle ...more
Sara
Jul 05, 2008 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of neil gaiman, fans of short stories, fans of the endless, fans of dreaming
this collection of short stories based about and around neil gaiman's characters from his 'sandman' graphic novel series is actually pretty good. some better than other but after coming kind of late into the game with the sandman stuff i devoured everything that had anything to do with the series. i couldn't let it go yet. i was please and slightly relieved that i wasn't the only one.
these stories only gave proff to how inspiring sandman was. everyone wanted a crack at gaiman's storytelling mag
Leah
A very good collection of stories, bringing the Sandman world to life through the eyes of others.

The collected authors seemed to respect Gaiman's world and rules, and this sometimes felt like a constriction, that more liberties could have been taken, more stories told or invented, rather than just the same ones expanded upon. Susanna Clarke, whose story I bought this book to read, shines brightly in this respect. Her story, The Stopp't Clock Yard, is totally her own, using Morpheus and the Drea
Miles Ford
The Sandman: Book of Dreams

Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Book of Dreams is a collection of the graphic novels by the name The Sandman. They are about a being named Dream. He is the master of dreams and can change anyone’s dream as he sees fit. He faces struggle when he is drawn from his kingdom and help captive for one hundred years by an organization wanting power. A side effect to Dream being held captive is that some people never wake up from their dreams.

I enjoyed the character Dream, or Morpheus,
Martin Kurniadi
Truth be told, this mixed short stories doesn't scream to me. For the first reason, I never read any of The Sandman volumes, so I wouldn't have an inner idea about what the story is about.

I'm not saying all stories are bad, there are some stories that stick to my head. There are five of them, in fact. Let me just list it down for you:

1. Masquerade and High Water
2. Stronger than Desire
3. Seven Nights in Slumberland
4. The Writer's Child
5. Valosag and Elet

Another reason, is perhaps I was dragged to
Matt
In the end, not nearly as good as reading something by Gaiman himself, but there were a few good stories in this collection. Mostly it felt like people were trying too hard to be _like_ Neil Gaiman and write something dreamy or dreamlike – what happened was generally more like someone relating a dream to me, which I almost never enjoy. Maybe just a personal pet peeve? If there's a Gaiman book you haven't read, skip this and read that.
Hilary
Didn't finish this one; am not counting this as being read this year for that reason.

I like the Sandman universe very well, I just wasn't feeling it too powerfully under other people's direction. Might be my problem, rather than a problem with the stories directly as I didn't read them all.

Oh well, at least there are some graphic novels I haven't read in the series.
Jake
This was only so-so. All of the stories are based on the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, which I think is brilliant. Interestingly, the only stories I really loved in this collection took place in the periphery of pre-existing Gaiman stories. It raises an interesting chicken-and-egg question, but I can't say that I really valued the experience of reading this collection.
Nicole
I really couldn't get into this book. I realize all the characters were symbolic of different things in life and I realize each story had a theme. Most of the stories, I would get half way through and just give up. I couldn't develop a connection with any of the stories which is a shame because by reading the description of the book, this should be right up my alley.
Jamie
This is basically fan fiction. I stopped reading as soon as I had another book in my hand. I love the Endless, but stories about the Endless are best in graphic novel form, and written by Neil Gaiman.
Courtney
Some of the stories were amazing, other fell a little flat. I enjoyed the stories that had the Endless in them more prominently more so. Glad to have an extra taste of the Sandman universe, though.
Kimberly Carpenter
I was expecting so much more! Some of the stories were neat and wished they were longer, others couldn't end quick enough. Overall it was good, but did not meet my high expectations!
Velvetink
Just found this on my shelves again. Must read it again. I had not heard of the Sandman before this. Once tasted fully addicted.
Vasil Kolev
I've been reading this for a while, some of the stories in it are good, but a lot are just tangled and unreadable.
Caroline
Good, but didn't enjoy this as much as I did the actual Sandman series. I didn't really care for the medium change.
Springtxman
Book of short stories, probably better as graphic novel than short story
Aries
La grandezza di un autore si vede, ovviamente, anzitutto da come scrive e dalle sue idee.Ci sono autori che sfornano una sola grande idea e poi non riescono più a replicare il primo grande successo, ce ne sono altri che probabilmente scriverebbero qualcosa di simile ad un capolavoro anche facendo la lista della spesa.Ma un altro aspetto della grandezza di un autore si misura quando personaggi frutto della sua mente e delle sue idee riescono a prendere vita propria ed a continuare a vivere anche ...more
Mary-Beth
This is the first book I read with Gaiman's name on the cover. Big mistake. I used to enjoy picking up books of short stories because I figured it gave me a glimpse into lots of potential authors I could end up reading and liking. So it's not that I minded that there doesn't seem to be a single story by Gaiman in this collection (as far as I remember - I sold the book to a used bookstore ages ago).

No, what bothered me is that these stories were all about Gaiman's fictional world. Now, I've belo
Maiya
Eh. It's an anthology, with everything that implies. A few are great, most are not. I'm glad I read it, but it largely served as a reminder that as much as I adore Neil Gaiman's writing, I don't generally agree with his tastes.

Disappointed that Clive Barker didn't have an actual *story* in this. That would have made it all worth it (and it was 90% of the reason I bought it--I need to pay better attention to what I buy).
Helen
I never saw the original graphic novels so I only know the Sandman through these stories and mentions elsewhere. If you don't know the characters, I can't explain them, but these stories are written around the seven Eternals: Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delirium. One of the stories, Seven Nights in Dreamland, involves all of them but most deal with only one or two. A fascinating book.
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Borderlands 3
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall (Fables)
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture (The Sandman, #0)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Præludier (The Sandman)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives  (The Sandman #7)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“Rules and responsibilities: these are the ties that bind us. We do what we do, because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves. I will do what I have to do. And I will do what I must.” 114 likes
“I don't know. I had to be something, didn't I?” 50 likes