Start by marking “Double Take: One Fabulous Recipe, Two Finished Dishes, Feeding Vegetarians and Omnivores Together” as Want to Read:

2.55 of 5 stars 2.55  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
100 recipes that feed vegetarians and omnivores together.
Published February 17th 2010 by Harvard Common Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Double Take, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Take

Rachel
I gave it this review based on no pictures (minus the cover) and very basic not very creative recipes. I would only make about 4 recipes in this book.
Steven Peterson
The concept here is pretty intriguing. I am getting more pressure for vegetarian dishes from my family. This book looks like it might be a nice way of linking vegetarians to more traditional meat eaters. The book's purpose is laid out early (Page 1): "'Double Take' is a book in which all the recipes... are for one master dish, but you end up with servings for both meat-eaters and vegetarians. . . ."

One example. I just made the "Mighty Mac and Cheese" recipe. First off, it was tasty. Second, I ha
Robert Beveridge
Jeremy Holt and A. J. Rathbun, Double Take: One Fabulous Recipe, Two Finished Dishes – Feeding Vegetarians and Omnivores Together (Harvard Common Press, 2010)

My family is, culinarily, about as dysfunctional as it gets. I am a pescetarian who'll eat pretty much anything. My daughter is a vegetarian who doesn't eat most exotic vegetables. My wife is an omnivore, but a picky one. Family dinners are, to say the least, a hassle, not to mention generally unhealthy (since the only commonality is pasta,
Ana Mardoll
Double Take / 978-1-55832-424-4

I really wanted to like this cookbook, but I just can't. Even my vegetarian friends who love cooking and are always eager for new cookbooks just didn't like this one at all.

1. No pictures. This is a huge deal for me - I've gotten to the point where I almost won't buy a cookbook if it doesn't have pictures of at least a third of the recipes. "Double Take" has no pictures at all. This isn't just an issue of wanting to flip through and find something appetizing - it'
Kristi
It can be difficult to get people to agree on a meal, but when you put vegetarians and omnivores together, it is near impossible at times to please everyone. Double Take attempts to bridge the gap and bring common meals for both in one recipe. With just a couple substitutions, dishes can be prepared for both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. From appetizers to soups to entrees, A.J. Rathbun and Jeremy Holt bring both of these lifestyles to the table.

Full review at: http://booksyarnink.blogspot.
Rhiana
Feeding meat eaters and vegetarian's at the same table is always a dilemma. This book has an excellent solution with recipes that are pleasing to both palates

Read more at Suite101: Double Take by Rathbun and Holt: A Vegetarian Cookbook That Works for Meat Eaters Too http://vegetarian-cookbooks.suite101....
Manintheboat
Relies heavily on fake meat.
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Debabrata Dutta
Debabrata Dutta marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 02, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Charles Morton
Charles Morton marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2011
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 25, 2011
Brandann
Brandann marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2011
Luscious Liqueurs: 50 Recipes for Sublime and Spirited Infusions to Sip and Savor Good Spirits: Recipes, Revelations, Refreshments, and Romance, Shaken and Served with a Twist Party Snacks!: 50 Simple, Stylish Recipes to Make You a Popular Party Host Ginger Bliss and the Violet Fizz: A Cocktail Lover's Guide to Mixing Drinks Using New and Classic Liqueurs Party Drinks!: 50 Classic Cocktails and Lively Libations