Start by marking “The Excellent 11” as Want to Read:
The Excellent 11

The Excellent 11

The Excellent 11 are the qualities that children and students embody when they are passionate about learning -- and about life.

After publishing the New York Times bestseller Essential 55, award-winning teacher Ron Clark took his rules on the road and traveled to schools and districts in 49 states. He met amazing teachers, administrators, students, parents -- all kinds of p

Published August 10th 2005 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Excellent 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Excellent 11

Heather
Mar 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Ron Clark. If every teacher in the country could get half as inspired and passionate as him, our future would be so BRIGHT! This book has wonderful tips for teachers and parents. Anyone with kids or going into teaching should take a look at this book.
Carol
Dec 28, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very inspirational, but the one thing I kept thinking was: "I would so do that if I only had 30 kids instead of 140!" Most of the ideas in this book are just unrealistic for middle school and high school teachers. We teach only one specific subject to dozens and dozens of different students each day. Some of the ideas could be adapted to fit into our classrooms, but most cannot (unless you have hundreds of free hours and dollars at your disposal).

Great ideas for elementary teachers though
Kathleen
Feb 06, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
More anecdotal than evidential but it is a motivating guide to being a top-quality teacher. "The Excellent 11" qualities - enthusiasm, adventure, creativity, reflection, balance, compassion, confidence, humor, common sense, appreciation, and resilience - are as applicable in the business world as they are in the classroom.
Tracy Knierim
Apr 11, 2009 Tracy Knierim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right when I'm burned out and not loving teaching, this book lifted me back up and gave me new ways to approach my students and what I'm teaching them.
Savanna Moore
Feb 24, 2016 Savanna Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-resource
Great book for teachers and parents. Goes over 11 topics to help in the classroom and be successful. It is a good book to refer to when needing advice.
Kate
Jul 24, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More anecdotal than 55, still lacking some cultural awareness.
Rachel Nobel Fields
Apr 30, 2007 Rachel Nobel Fields rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New teachers
Finally, a "teacher memoir" book that actually contains useful suggestions and advice without talking down to teachers!
Connie
Jun 11, 2017 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will not be disappointed when you read this book. Ron Clark reminds you why you became an educator and how to rejuvenate your classroom.
Wayne S.
May 31, 2015 Wayne S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Ron Clark became a teacher in 1995, teaching first in North Carolina and then in Harlem, NY, and won the Disney Teacher of the Year Award in 2001. Since then, he has traveled the United States speaking to teachers, PTAs, and school boards across the country where he met amazing teachers, administrators, students, and parents. His first book, The Essential 55, shot onto the New York Times bestseller list following his appearance on Oprah. The excellent eleven qualities, drawn from his own ...more
Sue
Aug 02, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, education
I would give this 3.5 stars, if possible. The practical ideas make it more than a 3. Although Ron Clark's hyperdrive approach to teaching as life is not one I can fully pick up at this point in my life, he has many good ideas in this book that can be used or adapted to fit into my teaching, and his examples are usually inspiring. Learning that he sometimes he takes days 'off' where he does the minimum to recharge was really good for me to find out. I would give this three stars

Teachers, I would
Ronnie
May 22, 2011 Ronnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to the audio book version of this one. After reading The Essential 55-- and then being fortunate enough to visit the Ron Clark Academy this past spring--hearing Ron narrate was just another way to pretend I was still there and soak up all the "Ron Clark-edness" that I could. This second book is surprisingly still full of good advice (especially, I thought, his piece on the incorporation of vocabulary), and I plan to listen to the third when it comes out in July as well ...more
Krisanne Stewart
The reason I gave 3 stars to this book is because I didn't get as much out of it as I thought I would. He has some good ideas (field trips are a big thing of his, and he's right-sounds too big for me to even attempt) and some terrific success stories, I just didn't find myself highlighting or underlining a thing. Not a thing. Now, in the book's defense, I had come off of a fabulous book (The Everafter) and the next book after a great book suffers a little in the rating department. So perhaps my ...more
Jessie
Mar 07, 2013 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for an education course. It was a quick read, and as far as "textbooks" go, it was conversational and easy to get into. I loved the ideas that Ron Clark shared, and felt inspired by his example, and encouraged to do better. I left with practical ideas on how to improve my teaching. Some of the ideas were impractical to me. Mr. Clark has a larger than life personality. While he may jump up on his desk and rap about a historical event. I know I would never do that myself. There were so ...more
Jill
Jun 07, 2011 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I really enjoyed this author's book, The Essential 55. This was another teaching book that focused on qualities parents and teachers have that help students succeed.

I'm only giving this 3 stars because I thought it was a lot of fluff and not a lot of instantly applicable ideas or strategies. The book reminded me of when I do a crappy job on homework - just writing and writing to fill up pages. I think he meant well, and it was a nice motivational book, but it wasn't his
Collin
Dec 07, 2009 Collin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a collection of stories, suggestions, and anecdotes from Ron Clark. It was an easy read and was pretty insightful for what it could be like as a new teacher dealing with students,faculty, administrators, and parents. He also gave exmaples of what has work and what has not worked in the classroom for him. He is very enthusiastic about teaching and truely loves to teach. These facts become extremely obvious throughout the book. Many of the ideas seem more geared towards an elementary clas ...more
Jessica
Dec 20, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ron Clark is an educational genius when it comes to making students feel involved, important, and successful in their education. His personal stories throughout the book remind us as educators that, though we know we should be all of these traits, sometimes it is not always so easy. This book does a great job giving advice on how to handle different situations with students, colleagues, administrators, and parents. Don't get me wrong, it's not only for educators! It's for parents, too! Definitel ...more
David Pierdomenico
I read this back when I was still in the teaching field and it's a truly valuable resource. Ron Clark is an award winning teacher, made famous when he entered a failing school in Harlem and completely turned things around. His book is filled with anecdotes that are interesting, entertaining and and most cases inspirational. It's a definite must read for anyone in the field, especially those new to it or college students about to enter it.
Stuart Elliott
I enjoyed reading about Ron's experience in the classroom and his advice on many points was helpful. I think some of what he had to say was limited and applicable only to teachers in similar positions has his. However, the excellent 11 can and should be applied in some way by every teacher. It certainly got me thinking and even gave me many ideas for lessons and setting up the classroom environment for my 6th grade class.
Roxanne
He has very good ideas for teachers how to make their classes and classrooms great. But since he is not in the trenches teaching with these teachers some of his ideas only work in a small class size. Also money is tight and the teachers cannot even get what they need to teach with. Class sizes are very large now and hard to manage. In my state school closed early due to no more money. His idealism is wonderful but not practical.
Trista
Aug 21, 2007 Trista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacherreads
This was very inspirational and energizing to read, especially right before the beginning of the school year. It's so important that we are excited about our subject matter and that we value children for who they are and the potential they have to become bright, caring adults. Parents should read this book, too.
Sidney
Mar 07, 2015 Sidney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
This is a relaxing motivational book to read for inspiration before heading back to school or as a pick-me-up in the middle of the year. As a lover of inspiring words, my favorite part was the quote introducing each chapter. It might be a good book to share with those who think teaching is an easy profession.
Cryss
Apr 10, 2010 Cryss is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this book as an assignment for my alternative certification. However, I had already bought the book before I knew about the assignment because of many recommendations from friends and teachers! It is wonderful so far! Great insight. Many of these are common sense, but Ron Clark creates a certain perspective that allows for reflection and application.
Amanda Gilles
Aug 31, 2015 Amanda Gilles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a chapter at a time and I think ALL teachers/school personnel/parents should read it, as Ron offers bits of advice and realizations we can all benefit from-which is why it is a great book to read a chapter every so often or when one feels stressed/lost in teaching....really worth the read:)
Marcia
Aug 27, 2008 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new teachers
Shelves: grown-up-books
I was looking for some insightful advice to make me a better teacher and only found common sense. As a National Teacher of the Year I thought he would have profound insights to share, but the things he mentions seem very superficial. Painting your classroom electric blue???Without permission???? I'm sure the children thought he was a blast.
Betsy
Jul 20, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, inspiring read to start the school year. Clark points out or reminds us of several (11, to be exact) basic principles for having better success with students, parents, and co-workers. My faculty read "The Essential 55" a few years ago and used it as a school-wide study for character education. We really enjoyed it and our kids benefited from it as well.
Michele
Aug 24, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every teachers should read this book. A lot of his general ideas are commen sense for teachers, but he has a lot of really good ideas to use in the classroom. It also has a section on tips for principals, parents, and superintendents.
Liz
Sep 30, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Ron Clark offers some good suggestions for teachers in inspiring and motivating learners. While not all of his suggestions are realistic for or applicable to every classroom, good teachers can modify them to work in their own environments.
Jessica
Dec 03, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. As a soon-to-be teacher, I found it inspiring and motivating!!

I'm not sure what made other people assume it was full of strategies, that caused them to give it a lower review, because it says nothing about that anywhere on the book.
Cheney
Aug 14, 2010 Cheney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Cheney by: Principal Anderson
I really didn't have any "oh my gosh I am so trying that!" moments but I will say that it did give me the enthusiasm and motivation that I needed to get back into the swing of things. I enjoyed reading this book and the way he told stories of some of his experiences.
Lindy
Jun 03, 2009 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw a somewhat low-budget TV movie about Ron Clark (The Ron Clark Story) and loved it! He is an excellent educator and I thought his book was great for teachers of all kinds. He motivated me to be more creative in Anya's "lessons."
Excellent 11 points to ponder 1 5 Apr 10, 2010 10:31AM
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • There Are No Shortcuts
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • The First Days Of School: How To Be An Effective Teacher
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!
  • Craft Lessons
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management from a Softy Who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Teach With Your Strengths: How Great Teachers Inspire Their Students
  • Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • The Daily Five
Ron Clark has been called "America's Educator." In 2000, he was named Disney's American Teacher of the Year. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose book, The Essential 55, has sold over 1 million copies and has been published in 25 different countries.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more
More about Ron Clark...