Start by marking “The Excellent 11” as Want to Read:
The Excellent 11

The Excellent 11

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The Excellent 11 are the qualities that children and students embody when they are passionate about learning -- and about life.

After publishing the New York Times bestseller Essential 55, award-winning teacher Ron Clark took his rules on the road and traveled to schools and districts in 49 states. He met amazing teachers, administrators, students, parents -- all kinds of p

Published August 10th 2005 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Excellent 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Excellent 11

Heather
Another great book from Ron Clark. If every teacher in the country could get half as inspired and passionate as him, our future would be so BRIGHT! This book has wonderful tips for teachers and parents. Anyone with kids or going into teaching should take a look at this book.
Tracy Knierim
Right when I'm burned out and not loving teaching, this book lifted me back up and gave me new ways to approach my students and what I'm teaching them.
Rachel Nobel Fields
May 23, 2007 Rachel Nobel Fields rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New teachers
Finally, a "teacher memoir" book that actually contains useful suggestions and advice without talking down to teachers!
Sue
I would give this 3.5 stars, if possible. The practical ideas make it more than a 3. Although Ron Clark's hyperdrive approach to teaching as life is not one I can fully pick up at this point in my life, he has many good ideas in this book that can be used or adapted to fit into my teaching, and his examples are usually inspiring. Learning that he sometimes he takes days 'off' where he does the minimum to recharge was really good for me to find out. I would give this three stars

Teachers, I would
Kathleen
More anecdotal than evidential but it is a motivating guide to being a top-quality teacher. "The Excellent 11" qualities - enthusiasm, adventure, creativity, reflection, balance, compassion, confidence, humor, common sense, appreciation, and resilience - are as applicable in the business world as they are in the classroom.
Carol
It was very inspirational, but the one thing I kept thinking was: "I would so do that if I only had 30 kids instead of 140!" Most of the ideas in this book are just unrealistic for middle school and high school teachers. We teach only one specific subject to dozens and dozens of different students each day. Some of the ideas could be adapted to fit into our classrooms, but most cannot (unless you have hundreds of free hours and dollars at your disposal).

Great ideas for elementary teachers though
Krisanne Stewart
The reason I gave 3 stars to this book is because I didn't get as much out of it as I thought I would. He has some good ideas (field trips are a big thing of his, and he's right-sounds too big for me to even attempt) and some terrific success stories, I just didn't find myself highlighting or underlining a thing. Not a thing. Now, in the book's defense, I had come off of a fabulous book (The Everafter) and the next book after a great book suffers a little in the rating department. So perhaps my ...more
Ronnie
I really enjoyed listening to the audio book version of this one. After reading The Essential 55-- and then being fortunate enough to visit the Ron Clark Academy this past spring--hearing Ron narrate was just another way to pretend I was still there and soak up all the "Ron Clark-edness" that I could. This second book is surprisingly still full of good advice (especially, I thought, his piece on the incorporation of vocabulary), and I plan to listen to the third when it comes out in July as well ...more
Mom
Inspiring book for teachers and parents. Nice to read a book addressing education written by someone actually in the trenches who knows what he's talking about.
Holly
Ron Clark has some wonderful and helpful ideas for helping kids to learn and grow. He makes sure to include helpful tips for parents, teachers, and administrators.
Jessie
I read this for an education course. It was a quick read, and as far as "textbooks" go, it was conversational and easy to get into. I loved the ideas that Ron Clark shared, and felt inspired by his example, and encouraged to do better. I left with practical ideas on how to improve my teaching. Some of the ideas were impractical to me. Mr. Clark has a larger than life personality. While he may jump up on his desk and rap about a historical event. I know I would never do that myself. There were so ...more
Jill
I read this book because I really enjoyed this author's book, The Essential 55. This was another teaching book that focused on qualities parents and teachers have that help students succeed.

I'm only giving this 3 stars because I thought it was a lot of fluff and not a lot of instantly applicable ideas or strategies. The book reminded me of when I do a crappy job on homework - just writing and writing to fill up pages. I think he meant well, and it was a nice motivational book, but it wasn't his
Jessica
Ron Clark is an educational genius when it comes to making students feel involved, important, and successful in their education. His personal stories throughout the book remind us as educators that, though we know we should be all of these traits, sometimes it is not always so easy. This book does a great job giving advice on how to handle different situations with students, colleagues, administrators, and parents. Don't get me wrong, it's not only for educators! It's for parents, too! Definitel ...more
Elizabeth Finney
Fun stories, but ideas to try as well.
Collin
This was a collection of stories, suggestions, and anecdotes from Ron Clark. It was an easy read and was pretty insightful for what it could be like as a new teacher dealing with students,faculty, administrators, and parents. He also gave exmaples of what has work and what has not worked in the classroom for him. He is very enthusiastic about teaching and truely loves to teach. These facts become extremely obvious throughout the book. Many of the ideas seem more geared towards an elementary clas ...more
Stuart Elliott
I enjoyed reading about Ron's experience in the classroom and his advice on many points was helpful. I think some of what he had to say was limited and applicable only to teachers in similar positions has his. However, the excellent 11 can and should be applied in some way by every teacher. It certainly got me thinking and even gave me many ideas for lessons and setting up the classroom environment for my 6th grade class.
Betsy
Nice, inspiring read to start the school year. Clark points out or reminds us of several (11, to be exact) basic principles for having better success with students, parents, and co-workers. My faculty read "The Essential 55" a few years ago and used it as a school-wide study for character education. We really enjoyed it and our kids benefited from it as well.
Cryss
Apr 10, 2010 Cryss is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this book as an assignment for my alternative certification. However, I had already bought the book before I knew about the assignment because of many recommendations from friends and teachers! It is wonderful so far! Great insight. Many of these are common sense, but Ron Clark creates a certain perspective that allows for reflection and application.
Marcia
Aug 28, 2008 Marcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new teachers
Shelves: grown-up-books
I was looking for some insightful advice to make me a better teacher and only found common sense. As a National Teacher of the Year I thought he would have profound insights to share, but the things he mentions seem very superficial. Painting your classroom electric blue???Without permission???? I'm sure the children thought he was a blast.
Trista
This was very inspirational and energizing to read, especially right before the beginning of the school year. It's so important that we are excited about our subject matter and that we value children for who they are and the potential they have to become bright, caring adults. Parents should read this book, too.
Cheney
Sep 01, 2010 Cheney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Cheney by: Principal Anderson
I really didn't have any "oh my gosh I am so trying that!" moments but I will say that it did give me the enthusiasm and motivation that I needed to get back into the swing of things. I enjoyed reading this book and the way he told stories of some of his experiences.
Jeremy Stephens
This was yet another book I read to broaden my understanding of the teaching process. While it does present a lot of good advice for aspiring teachers, I only gave it 3 stars because of its touchy-feely nature. I want information, not motivational harangues.
Jessica
I loved this book. As a soon-to-be teacher, I found it inspiring and motivating!!

I'm not sure what made other people assume it was full of strategies, that caused them to give it a lower review, because it says nothing about that anywhere on the book.
Mendy
Jan 04, 2009 Mendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: get-to-later
Let's see how many books I can get going at one time! I am really just reading a chapter at a time to motivate me to motivate my kids. I must be doing something right, I am on the second quality and I do both so far! Who knew being crazy was a good thing!!!!
Liz
Ron Clark offers some good suggestions for teachers in inspiring and motivating learners. While not all of his suggestions are realistic for or applicable to every classroom, good teachers can modify them to work in their own environments.
Michele
Every teachers should read this book. A lot of his general ideas are commen sense for teachers, but he has a lot of really good ideas to use in the classroom. It also has a section on tips for principals, parents, and superintendents.
Lindy
I saw a somewhat low-budget TV movie about Ron Clark (The Ron Clark Story) and loved it! He is an excellent educator and I thought his book was great for teachers of all kinds. He motivated me to be more creative in Anya's "lessons."
Tracey
This book got me all fired up and reminded me why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place...the kids! Must read for any NEW teacher or even an experienced teacher wanting to re-kindle the passion for teaching they had as a newbie.
Meg
Same enthusiasm, but isn't it interesting that in order to be the teacher he aspired to be, he had to start his own school and leave public education. Doesn't that say something about the public schools?
Caitlin
This book is full of wonderful anecdotes and tips for teachers and parents alike. As someone who works with kids, it helps to revitalize you after the bad days and feeds the enthusiasm on good days.
Excellent 11 points to ponder 1 5 Apr 10, 2010 10:31AM
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management From a Softy who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America
  • Craft Lessons
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
Ron Clark has been called "America's Educator." In 2000, he was named Disney's American Teacher of the Year. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose book, The Essential 55, has sold over 1 million copies and has been published in 25 different countries.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more
More about Ron Clark...
The Essential 55: An Award-Winning Educator's Rules for Discovering the Successful Student in Every Child The End of Molasses Classes: Getting Our Kids Unstuck: 101 Extraordinary Solutions for Parents and Teachers The Essential 55 Workbook: Essential 55 Workbook Surviving the Emergency Room: Expecting the Unexpected Move Your Bus: An Extraordinary New Approach to Accelerating Success