Burning Up (Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling, #0.6; Iron Seas, #0.5)

Burning Up (Psy-Changeling 0.6)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  5,126 ratings  ·  398 reviews
Passion runs as hot as a fever dream in these all-new stories by four New York Times bestselling provocateurs of the paranormal...

In Angela Knights's Blood and Roses, a vampire warrior and his seductive captor join forces to stop a traitor from unleashing an army of demonic predators on their kingdom.

New in Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series is Whisper of Sin, in which a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published August 3rd 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Burning Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Up

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
181st out of 1,185 books — 10,702 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
18th out of 224 books — 681 voters

More lists with this book...

MelissaB
Review for Whisper of Sin:

Whisper of Sin is another great Psy/Changling story by the oh-so-awesome Nalini Singh. Ria and Emmett are a good couple, I loved having a Changling hero again. It's a short story but Nalini still sets up characters that you like and care about. I would have loved a longer story but I really enjoyed what we got - a hot, sexy story about the human Ria and her sexy leopard Changling Emmett.

Here There Be Monsters - 4 stars
Dina
*** NOTE: This rating is for Nalini Singh's WHISPER OF SIN only! ***

If you're a fan of the Psy/Changeling series, you'll want to read this novella. It shows how Ria, Lucas' assistant, and Emmett, her husband, met and fell in love. Very good!
 ~V~
My 4star rating goes for Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling story..if you're a fan of the series, you won't want to miss this one! :)

I Originally bought this book strictly for the Psy/Changeling story, which i read when it was released, back in August of 2010..the little "blurb" at the top was all i had written at the time...and i've decided to keep it where it is...i still stand behind my 4 star rating for that story..it was great and i really enjoyed it.

Now, i've come back to this book, almost a ye...more
Carolyn F.
Better than average anthology. I'd buy the book just for the Meljean Brook story which is set in the same period and with some of the same characters as The Iron Duke.

1. Whisper of Sin by Nalini Singh. I'm so sick of the Psy that it was really nice to see a story without them as one of the main characters. This is the story of how Ria met Emmett. The only part of the story I disliked is when they're making out in the car, she sees a spider, screams and now his ears are bleeding, he's weak and c...more
Patricia
So, in between books I like to read Anthologies, to freshen up my mind, (I tend to continue to think about the book I finished in the days that follow), and to discover new reads and new authors. It works for me this way.

In "Burning Up" we have a very good start with "Whisper of Sin".

The story is set in Chinatown and we have the story of Emmett and Ria.
Ria comes from a traditional family and is attacked by order of a gang because her family denied to pay "protection".
Emmett is part of the Dark R...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
**Meljean Brook's Here There Be Monsters 4 stars ~ read April 10, 2011**

Before I get into my review, I would highly recommend that if you are interested in reading this series, you check out her website to get some needed information. Here's a great page to go to:

WOW...I'm really shocked at how much I liked this story. This is my first taste of "steampunk" and while that was certainly weird....I really liked the romance! It was refreshing to read something so differ...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Sep 06, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance or steampunk
I liked all four novellas, but I really loved the Nalini Singh story. As soon as I finished the book, I went right back to the beginning for a second read of that one. The only things that kept this anthology from the top rating were the predictability of the plots, and the lack of sufficient world-building in some of the stories. Some of that is the limitations of the novella, but not all.

I'm so glad I bought this new instead of waiting for the library to give me a turn at it or for a secondhan...more
Melindeeloo
Burning Up offers a great line-up of popular paranormal authors, but there are a few surprises in store. While authors Nalini Singh and Virginia Kantra come through with stories connected to their established series, Angela Knight leaves her Mageverse - but not her vamps and witches - with her medieval fantasy offering and MelJean Brook introduces a new universe with her steam punk prequel.

"Whisper of Sin" - Nalini Singh's Psy-changeling contribution brings in a more than quickie romance as a n...more
Audrey
For the two stories that I read, I averaged out the overall rating to 4 stars. I don't keep up with either of the other two authors, so I didn't read them or include them in this review. The Takeaway: Should you have the opportunity, check this out, if only for the Meljean Brook story set in the Iron Seas steampunk world.

Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling novella "Whisper of Sin": Pretty standard Psy-Changeling fare with a strong alpha male Changeling from DarkRiver, Emmett, falling hard and fast for...more
Dee
Of the four authors who were published in this anthology, I'd only read one prior to this (Nalini Singh), but I will definately be checking out the other three in the future.

Singh continues her psy-changling series with a changling/human pairing - Ria is a half-american-half-chinese who is being stalked by a gang that is trying to take over a section of her town, Emmett is the changling who saved her life. Wow, talk about an explosive combo - i was fanning myself a few times - loved the secondar...more
Leah
BURNING UP - 3 STARS

"Whisper of Sin" by Nalini Singh - 5 stars

Up until this point, I'd never really given much thought to Ria and Emmett. Ria was Lucas's assistant and Emmett, well, I don't think he even comes into the series, physically, until this novella and then Play of Passion. However, I now love them to pieces and this was such a cute story. Like with Nate and Tammy, I like that Singh went back a few years and gave us Ria and Emmett's story because it was nice to see their mating and get...more
Leigh
Only read Meljean Brooks' short, Here There Be Monsters.

4.5 stars!! I really, really loved it! Fabulous short story and great introduction into the world of the Iron Duke series. The steampunk genre is very neat, and I really enjoyed the way that Brooks created this steampunk world and added in some uberhawt, steamy romance to go with it. Eben was a fabulous hero, and Ivy an even more fabulous heroine! I loved that he was so taken with her from the get-go, and that he never gave up on finding he...more
Kaleigha
Anthologies are darn hard to review, for the most part. I am not really a fan of them, but when one of your favorite authors has a story from one of your don't-miss series in one, you pretty much have to have it. Such is the case with Burning Up. I love Nalini Singh, and I was so excited to get Emmett and the oft-mentioned Ria's story. The other three stories? Not so much. But I did read all four of the contributions, so here goes...

Nalini Singh's Whisper of Sin. As stated above, I am a fan. HUG...more
Sandra
For an anthology this one was pretty good.

Whisper of Sin by Nalini Singh is Ria's story. Ria, a human admin assistant to Lucas Hunter, alpha of Darkriver pack. She first comes to the attention of Darkriver enforcers, particularly Emmett, after being attacked in pack territory by a group of human thugs trying to oust the changelings. Writing as always is excellent.

Blood & Roses by Angela Knight is not a Mageverse story, but still includes Vampires and is set in some distant past. Quite good.

S...more
Torzilla
This rating is only for HERE THERE BE MONSTERS by Meljean Brook. I will adjust the rating as I continue reading the other stories.

5/5 Stars for HERE THERE BE MONSTERS by Meljean Brook

I'll admit that I only bought this book to read Meljean's new Steampunk series. I read a snippet of it probably a week before the release and HAD to know more!

HERE THERE BE MONSTERS is amazingly well written. Considering that this is my first time reading anything within the Steampunk genre, I must say that Meljean...more
D.G.
This 4-star rating belongs only to 'Here There Be Monsters' (the Iron Duke prequel) which was simply outstanding. Amazing world building, great plot focusing almost exclusively in the hero and heroine (which were a great couple), lots of sexual tension and an interesting conflict. Kudos to Ms. Brooks for packing all this seamlessly in 110 pgs. Now I'm really looking forward to The Iron Duke.

Regarding the rest, I only read the Psy-Changeling one (I'm not reading any of the other series.) 'Whisper...more
willaful
Not wanting to start any new series at the moment, I only read the Nilani Singh story, which is pleasant, and the Meljean Brook story, which is outstanding. The steampunk elements made more sense to me here than in The Iron Duke and the romance was unique. And the ending -- what a blast. A very touching and clever story.

11/22 Reread Brook's story, preparing to read the story in Wild & Steamy. It still rocks.
Monique
Reread (Jul 13, 2014)

I love everything Nalini writes. I could read all of her books over and over, including her short reads. I loved reading prequels of the couples who have been mated for a while.

Ria's grandmother still cracks me up.

Originally read (Apr 12, 2013)

This was a short and sweet read. I love Emmett and Ria together! They have been mated for so long so it was very sweet to read their story.

And Ria's family are so highly entertaining to read, especially her grandmother.
Autumn
review and rating for whisper of Sin

So we finally get the story of the snappy Ria! I was happy to read the hearing incident that was mentioned in a conversation in book4. I liked the story because it was sweet,and it always give us a glimpse of characters that are mentioned throughout the series.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

The Meljean Brooks story, Here There be Monsters, was awesome; 5/5 This woman writes a fabulous novella.

Nalini Singh, Whisper of Sin, 3.5/5

Virginia Cantra, Shifting Sea, 4/5

Angela Knight, Blood and Roses, 3/5
Aoi
The rating is for the pure awesomeness that is Nalini Singh and Meljean Brook. The chemistry was scorching hot and I RACING to get to the next ones..
Katie(babs)
Meljean Brook's story blew me away. Hot, steamy and so much awesomeness that I ask, please ma'am, may I have another?
Iva
Huge 5 stars for Whispers of Sin by Nalini Singh! She should write more novellas for this series.
Jan
Originally read Oct 1st 2010.

Reread two of these yesterday. Singhs story was good, although very typical Singh. Liked the heroine and her family a lot (and like the heroine a lot in later set books as well), but the hero was a bit bland and regular Singh Changeling. Still, even a regular good Singh romance is delicious, so definitely 3 stars.

The real gem of this novella is Meljean Brooks story. Amazing heroine and hero, and the Iron Seas setting is sooooooooo amazing. It blows my mind every time...more
Jess the Romanceaholic

2/4 ain't bad!

"Whisper of Sin" by Nalini Singh - 5 Stars
But let's face it, I'm a huge Nalini Singh fan so she would've pretty much had to fill a hundred pages with the technical manual from her new DVD player for me to not like it ;)

This is a prequel of sorts to her Psy/Changeling series, starring Ria and Emmett and how they got together. I admit sometimes I kept forgetting it was a prequel and kept getting confused as to where the hell Sasha was ;) No seriously though, set around the time the D...more
Cindy
Good read. Multi author anthology. Whisper of Sin is a stand-alone Psy/Changeling story. Here There Be Monsters is a steampunk story related to her Iron Duke book. I believe The Shifting Sea is related to her Children of the Sea. Angela Knight's Blood and Roses seems to be a stand-alone vampire story. All of them are excellent, an anthology that does not disappoint.

*** BLOOD AND ROSES by Angela Knight pairs a vampire warrior and his seductive captor in a battle against demonic predators.

*** WHIS...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Read only the Singh and Brook shorts.

"Whisper of Sin" (Psy-Changeling) When I first read this one, I had no idea it was a prequel, so it took me a bit of reading before I could place it in the timeline. This is Emmett and Ria’s story. If you’ve read any of the novels, you probably know Ria as one of the humans of the Dark River pack –and as Lucas’ human assistance. Here we find out that she was first exposed to the pack when she was attacked and nearly raped by the member of a human gang, hoping...more
Angelc
(note: this review is only for Meljean Brook's story, not the entire anthology)

'Here There Be Monsters' by Meljean Brook

Ivy, a blacksmith, desperately needs to get out of London-her life depends on it. So she accepts passage on Mad Machen's ship, against her better judgement. Mad Machen, or Eben, is well known as a ruthless pirate, notorious for his ill treatment of prisoners and even his crew. Ivy escapes Eben immediately, but she knows she can't hide from him forever. He'll be back to make su...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Nalini Singh- 4.5 stars
This was my first time reading Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series, and I am absolutely hooked. I have the whole series loaded to my Nook now, and I can't wait to find out more about Dorian. I guess I never knew this series was about Shifters.

Angela Knight- didn't read, don't care for her writing

Virginia Kantra- 4 stars
I like her Children of the Sea series, but her novellas have been Historical PNR where her full-length novels are contemporary PNR. But it's all in the sa...more
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1)
  • A Gift for Kit (Psy-Changeling, #5.5)
  • The Magical Christmas Cat (Breeds, #17; Murphy Sisters, #2; Psy-Changeling, #3.5)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
Angela Knight is an American author of mostly erotic fantasy. She was a reporter for ten years and a comic book author. She lives in South Carolina. First published under Red Sage, she was able to write romantic fiction for the first time in 1996. She published several short stories in their Secrets anthologies. Editor Cindy Hwang brought her to Berkley Publishing and has helped her become a best...more
More about Angela Knight...
Shifter (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #2.5; Breeds, #15; Children of the Sea Prequel) Beyond the Dark (Includes: Tale of the Demon World, #5; Breeds, #13) Master of the Night (Mageverse, #1) Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #3) Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)

“You‟re my mate. Think you can handle that?”
It was hard to speak with her heart bursting open. “Think you can handle me?”
“So long as you're gentle with me.”"
Emmett to Ria - Whisper of sin”
8 likes
“Frustrated, Ria threw down her napkin and rose to her feet. "If he's that great, you marry him. I will not marry a man who hasn't even attempted to French-kiss me the entire year we've been 'dating.'"

Her parents yelled her name, but Jet's incredulous voice drowned them out. "Seriously? Not even a little tongue? You're right-- dude is lame.”
5 likes