Start by marking “The Beautiful Game? Searching for the Soul of Football” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Game? Searching for the Soul of Football

The Beautiful Game? Searching for the Soul of Football

An outstanding, thought-provoking study of the state of modern professional football.
Published January 2007 by Yellow Jersey Press (first published 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Game? Searching for the Soul of Football

Gregg
Jul 25, 2009 Gregg rated it it was amazing
Excellent but worrying for any real football fan
Martin Rouchmann
Sep 28, 2012 Martin Rouchmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a book for everybody who have a real interest in football and what mechanics, economical and emotional, that drives people to the beautiful game.

If anybody thought that rich people's interest in football started with the oligarchs and sheiks this book proves them wrong. Rich people have always invested in football, some because they thought it was a good investment, others for the love of the game. Unfortunately most of them failed and drove the clubs into economical despair.

The book i
Richard O'Brien
Mar 25, 2011 Richard O'Brien rated it really liked it
Top read which covers a selection of chapters which aim to show the current plight (as of 2005) of English football & how some of the happenings in todays game can be put into perspective with incidents from the past.
The chapters bearing the connections between Glossop NE and Arsenal where quite enlighting & the ones concerning Sheffield Wednesday & Mr. Richards shed no light as to what I already knew about very own club.
But also a great read about clubs I knew little about like York
Jak
Sep 11, 2008 Jak rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any football fan
I liked and hated this book in equal measure. I liked it because it’s a well written expose on the mismanagement, duplicity, foolishness and out right corruption of how badly football and it’s individual clubs are governed. But having my cynical worst fears confirmed was saddening and made my blood boil.

This book is a must for any true footie fan.
Tim Evans
May 21, 2012 Tim Evans rated it it was amazing
A must for any football fans. Covers all the disgraces from the formation of the Premier League, MK Dons, York, Bury, Hillsborough and, of course, the Woolwich Wanderers move up north. Conn is a god.
Simon
Mar 08, 2016 Simon rated it it was ok
It had some slow parts, and went over a lot of what I read in Broken Dreams about how the Premier League is ruining football in England. I liked when he went into depth on a few clubs and how they were either ripped off by a rich jerk or run well.
Sean
Jun 12, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it
I didn't truly understand the incompetence of the game's governing bodies, the greed of the clubs' shareholders, or more encouragingly, the love (and sheer bloody mindedness) of football supporters up and down the country until I had read this book.
Andrew Moore
Andrew Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2010
Below
Below rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Christopher Jay
Christopher Jay rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Ben Erwin
Ben Erwin rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Bobby
Bobby rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Javier
Javier rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Steve Shaw
Steve Shaw rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2016
Gavin Black
Gavin Black rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Jon Arnold
Jon Arnold rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Hugo Saye
Hugo Saye rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Lewis Appleby
Lewis Appleby rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Ctmc87
Ctmc87 rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Peter Bone
Peter Bone rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Regan
Regan rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Jake Harrison
Jake Harrison rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Eddie
Eddie rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Markcini
Markcini rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Simona Tassinari
Simona Tassinari rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2015