Start by marking “El mercader y la bruja” as Want to Read:
El mercader y la bruja

El mercader y la bruja (Knights Templar #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The Knights Templar

They had all joined taking three vows: poverty, chastity, and obedience…for they were monks: warrior monks, dedicated to theprotection of pilgrims in the Holy Land -- until stories spread by anavaricious king who wanted their wealth for his own destroyed the order.

There was one knight, however, who escaped the stake, vowing justiceas he watched his innoc
Published February 2003 by Martinez Roca (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about El mercader y la bruja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El mercader y la bruja

Maria
It was a good read but I didn't have the time to immerse myself in the story properly only finding time to read a couple of pages a night rather than reading it during a holiday or rest period and for that reason I found the book very bitty rather than flowing but I honestly feel that could be down to me not connecting fully with the characters. My favourite period of history is the Tudors&Stuarts and also the victorian period so I'm still connecting to the historical period of the novels bu ...more
LJ
THE MERCHANT'S PARTNER (Historical Mystery-England-1300s) – G+
Jecks, Michael, 2nd in series
Headline, 1995- Paperback
Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford Castle, and Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, are called to investigate the murder of midwife and healer Agatha Kyteler. Suspects include a young farmer, but others maintain he could not have done it, and the son of a nobleman, who cannot be found.
*** The two main positives, to me, are the characters and their relationships with ea
Ed
Nov 10, 2014 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Medieval murder mystery fans.
This, #2, in the Knights' Templar Series, is a most enjoyable, well researched, medieval "who-dunnit".

The story opens with the brutal murder of Agatha Kyteler, who the villagers accuse of being a witch. As Sir Baldwin and his visiting friend, Bailiff Simon Puttock, are investigating the first killing, an unlikable merchant, Alan Trevellyn, is also brutally murdered in a similar fashion. The plot proceeds from there as the two try to solve the crimes and see if there is a connection from the past
Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This is a book I can return to now and read for pleasure.
It all worked for me. The period, the weather, and the characters. I was aiming to produce a novel that would have felt like a medieval Sherlock Holmes, and perhaps I failed, but I think that Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and the Bailiff Simon Puttock get on well enough that the comparison with Holmes and Watson works. It's a cozy crime story, but with the history interwoven seamlessly with the plot.
Karen
Nov 29, 2007 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in historical mysteries
This is one of a series of books that I really enjoy. When I have a few spare moments I like to unwind with Michael Jeck's mysteries. They're humorous, interesting, and accessible. They take place in Medieval England and appear very historically accurate. This one is great and I really want to finish, but I'm stuck 2/3 of the way through just because I fall asleep before I get a chance to read!!!!
David Serxner
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Marisa
A great medieval mystery. i plan on reading more books in this series. there humor in the book, but not so much as to take away the suspense.
LeslieVA
Reread this mystery. Still enjoying the series.
Sandra Strange
It took me a bit to get into this historical mystery set at the end of the Crusades, with protagonists a "retired" Knight Templar and a castle bailiff. The background will educate you about how Medieval people lived and their patterns of thinking. And the mysteries are well drawn, capturing the brutality of living in that particular society. Good puzzles, engaging characters, a good novel--but adult, dealing with adult issues, both violence, abuse, and sex, though nothing explicit. I like the fa ...more
Jen
For some reason this particular book took a lot more effort to climb into than Jecks's books usually do, but it was worth it. The characters are always very vivid and believable, even the fringe ones who don't have quite as big a role. And this remains my favorite medieval mystery series because of the effort he takes to explain the life around the cases. It's not just mysteries that happen to be set in the medieval era; the time intrinsically influences the crimes and how they are solved.
This o
Nancy Ellis
No self-respecting series of medieval mysteries would leave out a book about the death of a witch! This second Knights Templar mystery takes care of that issue in this installment with the brutal murder of Agatha Kyteler, acclaimed by the villagers to be a witch, followed by the similar brutal murder of a universally-disliked merchant. Bailiff Simon and his friend Sir Baldwin investigate and uncover the link from the past between the two, and of course, solve the crimes. Although not as well-wri ...more
Text Addict
Great historical fiction, set in medieval England. Excellent characterization, real understanding of trade and economics of the time, and a plot that hangs together pretty well. A bit like a police procedural, really, except for it being medieval and all. I think I have the first volume around here somewhere, but didn't get around to reviewing it. I'll definitely look for more.
Brian Abshier
This was by far my favorite Knights Templar mystery so of the series so far. I have read up to Stickle Path Strangler at the moment. The beginnings of the books are not always the quickest to become ensnared in, but I always assure myself that after a few chapters it will become engrossing and immensely enjoyable. I haven't been wrong yet. Great book!
Dorothy
This is the second book of the series. I read it first but it didn't matter. Great story about solving a murder mystery in the 1300's. The knight Baldwin and the bailiff Simon team up to solve the crime. If you like historical fiction you will enjoy this feudal period mystery story.
Dawn
I guess it might be a bit of a bad sign that I can barely remember this story and I only read it a couple months ago.
So far this series is a standard, run of the mill, medieval mystery. Easy to read, good mystery and likeable characters.
Susan
Excellent `who done it' in medieval times, history brought to life within it's pages.
All characters portrayed so no sudden new arrivals at the end to put you off balance but never knew to the last pages who the worst culprit was.
Wendi
The Knight's Templar series follows a predictable formula of lots of people getting killed and the 2 main killers using their wits to solve the crimes. However, I enjoy the historical aspect and following the characters.
K.l.
very good. I definitely think tho earlier books in the series are better! Poor Baldwin got his heart bruised, and Simon and Meg appear ti be expecting their first baby:-) Edith?
Kate
When I entered this the pop up about recommendations recognized this as a fantasy. It isn't. It is a mystery set in the middle ages in England.
Joea
2nd in the series and you can see that the author is hitting his stride with the characters. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #2 - The Merchant's Partner.
Rosalind Hoenig
This book seemed a little shallow. I had to force myself to finish. It did not captivate me. An ok read.
Cynthiaj
3 1/2 stars. Wish I could. I likes this one more than the first, but I don't think it is up to 4 stars yet.
Kellyann
This is the worst book I've read in some time.

The author can't even punctuate properly.
Will
A solid, enjoyable entry in this series.
Teddy
Good story but slow.
Miss Mouse
May 26, 2009 Miss Mouse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Templar #2
Jerry Ide
Jerry Ide marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5) The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)