Start by marking “Fantasy in Death” as Want to Read:
Fantasy in Death

Fantasy in Death (In Death #30)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,250 Ratings  ·  786 Reviews
Bart Minnock, founder of the computer gaming giant U-Play, enters his private room, and eagerly can’t wait to lose himself in an imaginary world, to take on the role of a sword-wielding warrior king, in his company’s latest top-secret project, Fantastical.

The next morning, he is found in the same locked room, in a pool of blood, his head separated from his body. It is the
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy in Death

Felicia
Mar 15, 2010 Felicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Flannery
Can someone really say that a plot felt formulaic when it is the THIRTIETH book in a series? I don’t really think so. *facepalm* Okay, well we’re back with badass Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her Irish billionaire stud of a husband, Roarke. This time, Dallas and Peabody are doing their thang in the homicide-detecting world and the victim in one of the founders of a video game design company. Normally, Nora Roberts/JD Robb is rather informative about the occupations of her characters and we get tons ...more
Mrs. Badass
Feb 23, 2010 Mrs. Badass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

What a wicked frosty book :P

It was more police procedural than epiphany of Eve and Roarkes relationship, we don't see as much Feeney, and no Charles and Louise (still on honeymoon) A short scene with Mavis and Nadine, but it's still an interesting read.

Some of Peabody's lines really cracked me up. I enjoy Peabody and Eve's dynamic.

I was glad to see the usual banter was back, I felt it was missing in Kindred, but that could have been because of the case itself, a sixteen year olds Rap
Lynsey A
Another wonderful In Death book by J.D. Robb. This story was an interesting concept and definitely kept me entertained. I spent the whole day reading this story. The "who dun it" was kind of easy to figure out but it didn't take away from enjoying the novel. I liked the epilogue too.

The imagery Robb brings to these stories was evident in this new story. I could imagine Eve and Peabody sparring verbally (all in fun) with each other and saw it all in my mind. It never fails that the back and fort
Vanessa
Aug 01, 2011 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Nora Roberts Fan and those who like a strong female cop or detective character.
Shelves: own, series, mp3, j-d-robb, keep
Okay, I really loved this latest installment. A lot of the secondary figures were included. It had a lot of great humor, and Eve seems to be mellowing some as she reflects on friendships and other personal matters. There was actually less sex in this one, and more romance. Eve and Roarke share a lot more intimacy, and it wasn't overdone.

The mystery was interesting and kind of techie, but since my daughter is a fiend for video games, I found that part interesting. It also gave Feeney and McNab a
William Bentrim
Feb 07, 2011 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy in Death by J. D. Robb

The not too distant future is the setting for Lt. Eve Dallas and her adventures. The entire series I have read so far is focused on homicide and the mystery that surrounds each murder. This book focuses on rpg. (role playing games) A group of loveable geeks is on the verge of paramount geekieness when they are beset with foul play.

Bart Minnock’s murder strikes a chord with Dallas, I suspect due to his naïve disposition and his vague similarity to Roarke. Roarke, on
Sarah Stegall
Jun 13, 2013 Sarah Stegall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Fantasy in Death" returns to the exploitation of scientific ignorance we saw in "Purity in Death". This time, it's a game developer found dead in a locked room, who was playing a computer game at the time. Once again, a metaphor is misunderstood: Robb treats "virtual reality" as if the emphasis were on the second half of that phrase, not the first. "Virtual reality" is not reality, light does not follow the physics she lays down, and her solution to this locked-room mystery is about as implausi ...more
Darcy
Another great story with Eve, Roarke, and company!! This time around the crime is an unusual one. A gamer guy is killed in his locked holo room with no breeches. Looks like we might finally have a murder that stumps Eve. With the nature of the crime Eve brings Roarke in right away to help and as always things don't go smoothly between them. The nature of this crime has Eve looking deeper at her life and the relationships she has built in her life in the past couple of years. Eve seems a little s ...more
Bigd_041555
Mar 18, 2016 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not being a real "gamer" myself, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. The bantering between Dallas and Peabody was just hilarious at the first of the book - all about ginnies and penis's - laughed out loud (again) during this scene!

Love the scene where Eve slaps Peabody up the side of her head about her comment about Roarke - way too funny!

Roarke and Eve having a little "spat" made for a tense moment or two - finally Roarke came to his senses :)

Like this book more each time I read it - a killer
Wayland Smith
Jan 24, 2016 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would think I'd get sick of this series, thirty books in. But I'm not. I continue to enjoy the adventures of Eve Dallas and her band of crime-fighters. Each book is like a chance to look in on old friends. There's a vague similarity to the books, you could argue, but then I've read all of Louis L'Amour and Agatha Christie, and they are masters, but you know what you're getting before you even open the cover.

One of the things that keep me coming back to these are the criminals and their plots.
Lyndi
Feb 28, 2016 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew who the murderer was and how they did it right away. I tried to keep reading, but I couldn't get into it because the investigation seemed pointless when I already knew the ending. So I skipped ahead to like, 75% or something, and managed to catch things at just the right time to pick things up with a second victim, a motherfucking sword fight, and solving the case. Totally awesome ending with physical and emotional ass-kickings.

I regret that I skipped over 50% of the book only because Rob
Sue
Solid 4.25, narration 4.5.

This was a story about Eve and her understanding friendships and how it can disguise envy and hatred. While solving a crime that involves 4 friends, Eve delves into her own understanding of own friendships. Dramatic ending.

It made something that seems impossible, possible. Or so it seems.
Jo
May 24, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
30th in the series. As anyone who follows me knows, I love this series. I don’t really connect with the books the author writes as Nora Roberts, but I love the characters and the character development in this series by J.D. Robb. While the last book in the series focused more on the crime, than on character development, this installment shows a lot of Eve’s growth as a wife and as a friend. Some of Eve and Roarke’s discussions about their relationship positively melted my heart (to the point whe ...more
Venus Blancia
I'm going back to five star rating! Fantasy in Death is one difficult case for Eve since the nature of the crime is of her line. I like the end then especially the epilogue part where justice is served and Eve and Roarke's realization of Friendship to Love, and thus far established themselves the Love to Friendship.

So much with the solving of the crime, I noticed that this series is somehow very police operation-plot and I barely encountered personal subplot. What is very entertaining and note-w
Reen
I'm not a gamer myself but I still really enjoyed this book. Interesting story even though the concept doesn't really compute and I had it down to two suspects and then one but Robb still kept me second guessing myself. Peabody and McNab and their trip to the Gamers Fan show was hilarious. So was Eve and Peabody's penis discussion. Indulgence in Death is next!
Kate
Apr 08, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the "In Death" series for a bit of brainless fun, but it shouldn't be this brainless. As a sci fi geek, I found this book predictable and kind of boring. By page 20 I was pretty sure I knew what had happened, which is very unusual for me since I actively try to avoid solving the mystery so I can just enjoy the ride. I only finished the book make sure I was right before I complained too hard. I was right. When a romance author writes a mystery with a heavy sci fi theme, the result is a plo ...more
Kathryn
Apr 17, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting addition to the series, certainly fantasy. It's all about friendship and what happens when that friendship is betrayed and used for ulterior motives. The whole gaming thing was interesting and a little scary!
Thenia
Feb 21, 2015 Thenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, sci-fi, r-ab, 2015
Another bizarre case for Eve, who manages to get to the truth with the help of her team.

The secondary characters are great, especially Peabody who is hilarious and adds an element of comic relief to the story, while Roarke plays the role of "superb manflesh", to quote Trina, to perfection.

Eve has grown a lot as a character throughout the books, but she remains an excellent detective. I look forward to her next case in Indulgence in Death.
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

This one simply did not work for me because I have absolutely no interest in video games/gaming technology. As much as I tried, even the magic of my favorite series couldn't pull me into a storyline where fantasy gaming was the focus. If it weren't for the series staples (fabulous characters, witty dialogue, and tying in history from previous books) being firmly in place Fantasy in Death would have only gotten 2 stars.

So on to the next..........a little disappointed but certain my faith in the s
Kara-karina
Sep 14, 2015 Kara-karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the most futuristic book in the series so far. :)
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
This was a very interesting crime.

The victim is a gaming prodigy. A young man who has a growing company devoted to video games and such. He is close to releasing a new never before seen type of holographic video game and takes a copy of the game home to test it out and ends up decapitated in his locked holo room. How did the killer get in and out without being detected?

Having 3 boys who love to play video games I fond this whole concept to be equal parts terrifying and intriguing. Eve is a bit o
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
The whole premise of this one just makes me totally smile. Nerdy gamers, cutting edge technology, and as always, Roarke and Eve growing. It's like one of my old Star Trek the Next Generation daydreams (of holodecks) mashed up with a murder with SWORDS! Yeah, buddy, pulling out the oldschool weapons on this one.

For me, I was pleased as punch with this installment of the series - I ended up picking it up directly off the coattails of the previous 'In Death' book. What can I say? I'm addicted. Betw
Kathy Davie
Oct 12, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gamers and gadget-lovers would enjoy this one; twisty, twisty, twisty...another good read.

First read August 2, 2010 and again May 12, 2011
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Fast & Fun! This time a really nice, smart guy is killed in the most horrible way and the team gets to work. Fantasy is a small mystery oppose to most of the others in this series that call in the entire police force. There are some seriously funny moments when Peabody worries about her butt, what shoes should she wear to a party and what body parts think about sex. It is just the kind of thing real people do and it makes this story pop.I love to watch authors change and grow. You may grow b ...more
Caz Malpas
3.5 - 4 FRIENDS TO THE END STARS!

If memory serves me right this is only the second book of the amazing In Death series that I haven't rated a solid 4 and above stars. I still really enjoyed it, but unfortunately the stortline focused on and around a subject that doesn't float my boat (me being technically challenged in all aspects of the gaming stuff!).
However Peabody, Nadine, Feeney, McNabb and the rest of Eve's newfound family more than made up it!

Roarke....?
Well it goes without saying he nev
Tesrin
Virtual Reality - Holographic Games - Real Play 5 stars

Eve Dallas never fails to amaze me. Her quest to find justice for her victim at all cost has always made me love her. In this book, she goes all out to find the killer who'd kill without a thought and leave devastation behind his havoc.

The story unfolds from the point when the leader of the U-Play goes home to play the latest game in development and comes out the other side dead. He's death does not make sense because there's no clue as to
Alli
Mar 09, 2010 Alli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2010
Connie
Mar 09, 2010 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it gets a five because it's still my favorite series. and i love how she cranks them out for me.

however...i'm not sure what's up...is someone helping her crank them out? or have the last few installments been off the track a little? not sure, but the banter conversation was a lot better in this one than the last few. there were more humorous moment when they're working the case and getting on each other's nerves...which is how they're supposed to be with each other.

and i love observing the deepe
Tina
" I didn't do anything!"

"Is that so? Maybe Bart would disagree. Maybe he'd have a little something to say about that. If he wasn't dead." She flipped open the file, spilled the crime scene photos out. "But it's a little hard to get the words out when your head's across the floor from the rest of you."

Roland took one look at the photos, went a very pale green. He said, fairly clearly: "Gah." then his eyes rolled up white as he slid to the floor.

"Well, shit." Eve blew out a breath and fisted her
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Fantasy In Death (Apr. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 30 15 Apr 22, 2015 10:00AM
J.D. Robb : Fantasy In Death (Spoiler Zone) 36 111 Jan 23, 2014 12:44PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publish Date Missing [Fantasy in Death] 2 12 Mar 25, 2013 12:28PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Veil of Night
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Do you think the penis ever gets tired?"

Whose?

Anybody's. I mean anybody with one. Does the penis ever just think: for God's sake pal, give it a rest? Or is it all: Woo-who!! Here we go again!”
178 likes