Drawing Autism

Drawing Autism

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The last decade has seen autism become a topic of conversation the world over. Knowing no racial, ethnic or social barriers, today the complex neurological disorder is diagnosed in one in every 150 children, with boys four times more likely to be autistic than girls. Known as a spectrum disorder, autism manifests itself differently in every diagnosis. From social deficits...more
Published November 15th 2009 by Mark Batty Publisher (first published 2009)

Ellie
Drawing Autism is a collection of art created by people who are on the autism spectrum. For some of the artists, art is the only way of communicating their experiences as a person with autism. But whether the art is highly sophisticated, emotionally powerful, playful, technically amazing or naive, the cumulative experience of this book is astonishing. There is an introduction by Temple Grandin describing how drawing became her entry into what became her very successful career and the book is the...more
Carol
I loved Drawing with Autism by Jill Mullin. What drew me to it was my brother who is several autistic drew wonderful pictures of trains as a child. He is very detailed minded and loves colors. So without even opening the book I knew that I was in for a treat.

Opening this book, I was delighted to find Temple Grandin wrote the first opening essay. She describes herself as visually oriented. She struggled with algebra but excelled at geometry just like me. Now I think I know why I am always excited...more
Jenny Earnest
One of my favorite quotes about choosing books comes from Tony Reinke's "Lit!" in which he writes, "For every one book that you choose to read, you must ignore ten thousand other books simply because you don't have the time (or money!)." I always keep that sentiment in mind when I'm selecting books to read, and I can honestly say that this book, Drawing Autism, is definitely worth the investment of both your time and money. I think it is so important to make an effort to understand one other, an...more
Lesli
An interesting collection of art and interviews. I found the majority of the pieces astonishing and exceptional. The interview answers seem so classic ASD -- I have an Autistic family member -- I couldn't help but grin fondly. The foreward, introduction, and biographies of the artists help inform the reader; but I think it also may influence readers unduly.

**This was an advanced reader copy won through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.**
Karen
I am so excited to have won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. giveaway. My son has mild autism and loves to draw. I plan on showing him this book in the future to give him inspiration to draw his own masterpieces. I received this book today and started it tonight. The pieces I have read so far are truly inspiring.
Crystal Johnson
A huge range of art and artists (from low functioning to non-verbal to aspergers). I work with a young man with ASD who'sobsession is also birds, so the front cover really grabbed my attention.

What the artists had to say or share about their work is very interesting. One artist that stood out for me was the one who made graphic collages/pictures out of construction paper. It look like it was made with a computer!

I love peeking into the autistic mind and highly recommend it to others.
Jayson Clark
Had the opportunity to spend this weekend enjoying this great book. Someone close tome is also Dx with Autism and he too is amazing with his art ability. So i also spent time enjoying the book with him also.
Lisa Mockus
Drawing Autism is a beautiful book of art that has the potential to open people's eyes to the intelligence and talent of those on the Autism Spectrum. A beautiful book.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
John Peoples
John Peoples marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Cathy Smith
Cathy Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kathleen Granger
Kathleen Granger marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kristen Mangewala
Kristen Mangewala marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Rachel Aloise
Rachel Aloise marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Andrew Shuping
Andrew Shuping marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Sigrun Hodne
Sigrun Hodne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
San
San marked it as to-read
Debra Wagenecht
Debra Wagenecht marked it as to-read
Darlene Cruz
Darlene Cruz marked it as to-read
  • The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game
  • There's a Boy in Here: Emerging from the Bonds of Autism
  • George and Sam
  • USA Noir: Best of the Akashic Noir Series
  • Unmentionables
  • The Depths
  • Back to Normal: The Overlooked, Ordinary Explanations for Kids# ADHD-, Bipolar-, and Autistic- Like Behavior
  • How to Talk to an Autistic Kid
  • Reasonable People
  • Infinity Blues
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Abortion & Life
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes: Harnessing Our Power to Change the World
  • Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
  • Chris Ware
  • Chris Will... The Story of a Boy and Autism Unawareness
  • Forever Different: A Memoir of One Woman's Journey Living with Bipolar Disorder
  • Letters to a Young Artist