Start by marking “Battle for Las Vegas: The Law vs the Mob (True Crime)” as Want to Read:
Battle for Las Vegas: The Law vs the Mob (True Crime)

Battle for Las Vegas: The Law vs the Mob (True Crime)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Battle for Las Vegas From the 1970s through the mid-1980s, the Chicago Outfit dominated organised crime in Las Vegas. This book relates the story of the fight between the tough guys on both sides, told in large part by the agents and detectives who knew they had to win. Full description
Published January 1st 2006 by Huntington Press

To ask other readers questions about Battle for Las Vegas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle for Las Vegas

Hugh McBride
Dennis Griffin does an excellent job of bringing this turbulent time in Las Vegas's history to life, providing a who-what-when-where historical record and infusing it with glimpses into the motivations and personalities of men & women on both sides of this battle.

For most folks with a passing familiarity with Las Vegas, mentions of the mob are likely to prompt thoughts of iconic crime figures like Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel. But Griffin's account of the decline of the Mafia's control ove...more
Chuck Thomas
If you enjoyed the movie Casino starring Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci, then you'll probably enjoy reading this book. Covering the period from the post World War II era through the late 1980's, Griffin goes into detail about the Mob's influence on Las Vegas casinos and their various organized criminal activities in the desert valley. Griffin focuses heavily on Tony "The Ant" Spilotro and his Hole In The Wall Gang crew, and to a lesser extent discusses Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal. Spilotro, as the Chic...more
Jeff
The great thing about this book was that it goes in detail about the history of Law Enforcement Officials who fought and won the Battle for Las Vegas. The Sheriff, Sheriff Deputy’s, Police Officers, the FBI, the Judges, the District Attorneys the Federal Justice Department Officials and the print and TV news media finally brought in the open the fact that most of Vegas was controlled by the mob.

It does get into the lives of some of the criminal elements and what illegal activities they were invo...more
Joshua
Dec 26, 2008 Joshua rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Soprano's Lovers/Mobster fiends
Recommended to Joshua by: Gambler's Book Shop in LV
Shelves: nevada-my-apex
The reason this book works is because it's concentrated in a great fashion. During the "glory days" of Vegas Vs. the Mob there was so much unaltered criminal activity going on that it's surprising all hell didn't break loose. This book looks at the rise and fall of Tony "The Ant" Spilotro in Las Vegas from the late 70's to his death in the early 80's. The movie Casino is basically this story although providing more of a spotlight on Lefty Rosenthal (who escaped death from a carbomb).

This book i...more
Myth
Historical Non-fiction is not among my favorite or prefered genres, so I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this book.

I picked it up on a whim while in Las Vegas at the Stratosphere. I love Las Vegas and it was fun to learn about it. I was most interested in the mob activity mentioned in the book. I thought it slowed a bit in the middle and with the chapters that focused mainly on the police politics. It was still interesting to know, but it did make me end up taking more time than I would'...more
Sassafrass
This was actually quite good. It kept my attention. I think it helped that I was listening to this on audio. The Narrator (Michael Taylor) did an excellent job of adding voices to the interviews and such so I was able to add a personal aspect to the story.

I was amazed at how recently the mob had ties to Las Vegas. I guess I figured all of that was before my time, but it wasn't. And this also helped me realize that I just really don't have the balls to be a criminal. It's a simple as that. I coul...more
Frances
Very interesting history of Vegas. Loved it!!
Dan Richter
If you've seen the movie "Casino" then you've read this book. Casino consistently makes my top ten list of movies of all time, so reading this was pleasurable, but not necessarily novel in content. I was in Las Vegas when I read this, so it kind of put things in a different context, raising my interest in this book. If you haven't seen Casino, then check this out. If you've seen it and don't care for it so much, then pass this up. If you really like it and don't have anything else to read that t...more
Nate Niesen
Lots of good information in here. The author does his homework thoroughly, getting interviews from the important players, court documents, newspaper articles, and whatever else he can get his hands on.

It's not tremendous writing, and the author does give the law enforcement the benefit of the doubt for some very unsavory tactics, but overall it's a nice read.

Recommended for people who loved the movie "Casino" and want more background on those events that transpired - apparently about 95% of th...more
Terry
This book is rather interesting. It ties the glory days of Vegas to the modern era. The mob cancer that developed and how it was rooted out has been the subject of movies and folklore. The same corruption can get started anywhere without the vigilance of dedicated law enforcement and a citizenry that will not tolerate it. Read and learn. This is a recommended book!
Brandon
Apr 14, 2012 Brandon is currently reading it
This book so far is a vivid account of the whole story behind the activities surrounding Las Vegas when it was first built and how it was conquered by the Chicago Mob.It is actually the real events that took place which are portrayed in the movie "Casino".So far it is interesting and I don't plan on stopping as I continue to get further into the book........
Megan
Interesting view of the law versus the mob in Las Vegas. It truly only hones in on one mob figure (Tony Spilotro) while other well-known mobsters are on the fringes. There's also VERY little talk about celebrities and their connections to the mob. Not a bad read, but I wish there was more about other figures and how the law handled them.
Ryan
Being a Las Vegas native and having grown up knowing two of the law enforcement people mentioned in the book I had to read it. It didn't let me down. What a great story and I loved learning more about the people I grew up with. I think if I'd known this much about them earlier on, I probably would have gone into law enforcement.
Brent Dyer
A great history of Las Vegas and the organized crime that built it. It can sometimes get a little dry, and better exposition of some of the pivotal characters is needed, but those are minor blemishes on an otherwise gripping book.
Irene
audio -- I lived this time in Vegas and knew these people or of them.
not a historical piece but it just gives the background of a city that was before Steve Wynn.
Tori Scharadin
non-dramatic account of the before, during, and after of Las Vegas' mob days, specifically the skim. Easy to follow web of events, intriguing display of information
Jason Firth
Pretty interesting, especially the parts about my neighborhood, the Las Vegas Country Club
David Magnenat
OK, but a bit ponderous, especially for a "mobbed up Las Vegas" book.
Mark Giordano
Pretty average story all around. Nothing new or shocking.
Jim Cramer
This book was a rehash of the movie "Casino"
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Cyn
Cyn marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1994, after a 20-year career in investigations and law enforcement in New York State. I began writing my first novel, The Morgue, in 1996. In 2000, I started work on a Las Vegas-based trilogy of mystery/thrillers. Killer In Pair-A-Dice was followed by One—Armed Bandit. The third book, Vegas Vixen, was published in November 2008.

In 2001 I turned my attention to non...more
More about Dennis Griffin...
Surviving the Mob: A Street Soldier's Life Inside the Gambino Crime Family Cullotta: The Life of a Chicago Criminal, Las Vegas Mobster, & Government Witness (True Crime) Rogue Town Vegas Vixen Killer in Pair-A-Dice