Start by marking “From the Library of C. S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
From the Library of C. S. Lewis

From the Library of C. S. Lewis

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Discover great truths from C. S. Lewis’s mentors

C. S. Lewis was perhaps the greatest Christian thinker of the twentieth century. He delighted us in The Chronicles of Narnia, intrigued us in The Screwtape Letters, mystified us in The Space Trilogy, and convinced us in Mere Christianity. His influence on generations of Christians has been immeasurable.

But who influenced C.
Published February 19th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published November 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about From the Library of C. S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Library of C. S. Lewis

Sheila
C.S. Lewis didn’t become famous and influential in isolation. His writing was fuelled not just by his thoughts, but also by his reading and the thoughts of others. James Stuart Bell’s compilation gives readers access to those volumes and authors beloved and well-read by Lewis. It’s an interesting collection covering centuries of writing and a fascinating breadth of philosophies and belief.

The excerpts are all short, few covering more than a page, and each is tagged with the name of the writer an
logankstewart
From the Library of C.S. Lewis is a reference book filled with selections from C.S. Lewis’ personal library. This book, compiled by James Stuart Bell and Anthony Dawson, is broken into eighteen sections. The primary focus of the book is to highlight works (and writers) who influenced Lewis’ spiritual journey, as Lewis is regarded as one of the finest Christian thinkers of the 20th Century. There are a few other sections that are not dedicated to religion (such as a section on fantasy & imagi ...more
booklady
A friend and I were going to read this book together. Indeed this is an excellent book for that purpose! It is an anthology of authors and writings which most profoundly influenced the great Christian apologist, C. S. Lewis and as such is doubly rich. First, each of the selections can be read and appreciated for and on its own merit and secondly, it can be viewed from the perspective of the influence it had on Lewis and his works.

From the Library of C. S. Lewis consists of almost 200 selections
Margaret
Dec 31, 2012 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: WaterBrook Multnomah Blogging for Books
I am in love with the concept behind the From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey books compiled by James Stuart Bell. Wouldn't you love to enjoy the same works of authors that influenced C.S. Lewis?! Well with this one book you can save a lot of shelf space and still enjoy inspiration writing that may indeed have inspired the ultimate inspirer in C.S. Lewis. Whether you use this as a daily devotion or just research, it is interesting and enjo ...more
Leah
C. S. Lewis is one of the greatest and most popular Christian thinkers and writers of the 20th century. He is best known for The Chronicles of Narnia series, but he also wrote such great works as The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity.

James Stuart Bell along with Anthony P. Dawson put together a collection of work from the library of C.S. Lewis. These are the writers, the thinkers, the people, the works that inspire Lewis. Bell writes in the introduction, "Yet, except for the scholars doing
Erin Cataldi
Understanding theology and philosophy of religion is a daunting task. Thankfully this compilation of prolific writers, saints, and theologians is tactfully cut up into bite size portions that the average person can digest and understand. James Stuart Bell takes the most significant passages from Christian writers and thinkers that influenced the masterpieces of C. S. Lewis and puts them all together in this great work. Bell even goes so far as to write a short biography of each individual quoted ...more
Donna
C.S. Lewis was a masterful writer. Who were the people who influenced his life? What books and authors would you find in his library if he were alive today? In his new book, James S. Bell, with Anthony Dawson, answers these questions and more.

C.S. Lewis was a prolific writer of such classics as the "Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Screwtape Letters." His Christian beliefs ran deep and he used writing as a way to express himself. But, givers must also find resources for their own strength, and C.S
Coyle
So... this book took me a lot longer to get through that it probably should have (sorry publishers and Blogging for Books!), though in my defense this book is long (402 pages) and a bit of a slog.

From the Library of C.S. Lewisis a collection of quotations and passages from the books that were on C.S. Lewis's shelves or mentioned in his works. In runs the whole spectrum, ranging from ancient to modern and Protestant to Catholic to Orthodox (I don't remember there being any major non-Christian sou
Keith
There is one way to get behind the genius and the character of a man: look at this library. Granted, you assume that he's read everything that's there. But even if half of the library is half-read, you've got something to go on. I have profited spiritually and intellectually from this book. There are tidbits upon tidbits from the authors that Lewis read and marked/remarked about. I chose to read it "devotionally," that is, just a page or two at a time. I'm glad I did. It took me longer but I pro ...more
Joel
It is difficult to appreciate these types of anthologies for what they were created for. Well, now that I think about it, I guess they were--primarily--created for money-making endeavors not necessarily to offer words of wisdom.

Anyway, while the selections included herein are pertinent and, at times, powerful they lack the build-up that the original authors created. It's like reading the punch-line of a joke without the context; it just doesn't work.

However, with included authors like Barfield,
Meghann
I bought this book to get a better idea of the authors who influenced C.S. Lewis and to find some new authors to explore beyond this book. I still think that is the best way to use this book. I am always afraid that by reading just a small excerpt from a work that I am going to take things out of context or not understand the author's true intent. That being said, the book contained some very interesting excerpts from books, essays and poems of various authors. But it is just a jumping off point ...more
Susie
Since I love C.S. Lewis in all forms, I thought this would be an interesting book. It has one-two page excerpts from writers he admired and who (presumably) played a role in his literary and philosophical development. For the most part, the pieces and writers are well chosen, although much of this is not light reading. It is a good book to dip into a few pages at a time, which leaves time to reflect on the writer's comments before moving on.
Kelli
This is nice enough. It is very scatterbrained and seems just different people quoted slightly at random. CS Lewis was a prolific writer, so the people he read had to have been very prolific as well...and they were. Their is a variety of quotes, in this book, of great theologians and scholars. Its not a book to read straight thru. It would be very heavy if one did that. But it is nice from time to time to look into it.
Bryan
Mar 06, 2012 Bryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, Spiritual Seekers, C.S. Lewis enthusiasts,
I was able to read the first quarter or so of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've taken it off my shelf simply because I don't see myself being able to come back to it within the next year or so.

It's a collection of page-long quotes from a plethora of amazing people who gave us great examples of how to serve God in the name of Christ. I loved it, and if you get the chance I'd recommend taking a look through.
Green Lyons
I thought the book was incredible. the only objection i have is that now i have a long list of other authors i need to read extensively to even begin to grasp some really intense theology that was touched upon in these excerpts. so its not actually an objection at all, just going to be tough on my pocket book. regardless, this book make me feel excited and humbled. thank you for compiling, james bell!
Ted
I was reminded of how brilliant Lewis is at taking difficult concepts and making them accessible and intuitive. Many of these excerpts were difficult for one reason or another - but I could see the gem that Lewis pulled out of each, polished, and presented to his lucky readers.

Perhaps I'm lazy, but I think I'll continue to rely on Lewis, rather than spending a lot more time on his sources!
Shelley
Jun 27, 2008 Shelley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the writings of C.S. Lewis
Recommended to Shelley by: Dawn Thompson
I gave it four stars because I couldn't give it five since a good portion of this book took a lot of brain power for busy shelley! It was well worth the energy I put out! If I could comprehend the brilliant things some of the authors were writing it would most surely get a five star!! I totally loved running into the writings of the wife of C.S. Lewis...we could've talked over a cup of tea!
Matt
It introduced me to some good authors, reminded me of others I already liked, and in a couple instances gave me some forgettable pages. The selections were sometimes not the most representative, and the section titles were a little obscure. It is a little heavy on sanctification perhaps.
Peter Walton-Jones
This is a collection of assorted classics which influenced the writing and thinking of C S Lewis. The writings are snippets i.e. short so are designed to be introductions to classical spiritual thought and/or as devotionals to be meditated on over time rather than simply read through.
Lara
What we read shapes our thoughts-- How intriguing to read what a great mind like C.S. Lewis read. I loved the selections chosen to sample his library. Favorites were articles that no one really reads or talks about anymore. I love the antiquity of this collection--
Rachel Fontenot
I am using this book as a daily devotional for this year. It's an amazing book. It is filled with writtings from all the old spiritual greats of history. Timeless. Classic.
Ron
Selected readings from writers Lewis admired and referred to. Some a bit opaque, but most interesting in their own right.
Brian
Excellent! By reading bits of those who influence Lewis my appetite is whet with dozens of new authors to read.
Chrissy
A snapshot into the literary world of such a man is quite a treat.
Stephanie Wells
Wow! I love the way these authors love the Lord!
Timothy Davis
If you like C.S. Lewis, you'll like this book.
Amanda Patchin
Could have been so much more...
Jay Ben
Jay Ben marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Theiceman2012
Theiceman2012 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hope of the Gospel
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Teresa of Avila: An Extraordinary Life
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: A Monk's Guide to Daily Life
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Markings
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment

James Stuart Bell, Jr., was director of religious publishing at Doubleday, executive director of Bridge Publishing, and executive editor at Moody Publishing. He has written or consulted for more than a dozen other Christian publishers. At present he is the owner of Whitestone Communications, Inc., a literary development agency. His roles include writer, editor, compiler, packager, publishing cons
More about James Stuart Bell Jr....
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters: Real-Life Stories of Supernatural Events A Cup of Comfort Women of the Bible Devotional: Daily Reflections Inspired by Scripture's Most Beloved Heroines The Spiritual World of the Hobbit Heaven Touching Earth: True Stories of Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters