Start by marking “Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe: 25 Years of Travel Tales from America's Favorite Guidebook Writer” as Want to Read:

This guide is an armchair tour of the author's favorite European travel experiences. In a series of personal vignettes, Steves tells of the Swiss schoolteacher who risked Steves's life to show him an edelweiss he couldn't pick, the Seina native who still bears a medieval grudge against Florence, and the Parisian who took a deep whiff of moldy cheese and sighed, "It smells ...more
Published January 29th 1999 by Rick Steves

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe

Meg
Feb 05, 2011 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
I enjoyed Rick's review of some of his favorite places and how he started his travel company. The early background information was fascinating. What I didn't care for was his seeming lack of regard for the effect his publicity has on a place. And also, Rick is treated like a king, but guess what: we wouldn't be :-)
Daniel
Jul 22, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Known primarily in his role as Europe travel guide through his TV series Travels in Europe, and through his series of guidebooks, Rick is, at heart, just another traveler who fell in love with Europe and has made his life around traveling to see his mistress. In Postcards, Rick treats us to a candid memoir of a trip through Europe, following the itinerary of one of the tours his company offers. This, however, is Rick the traveler, not the guide, and what we get from his pen are personal thoughts ...more
Akshata
Apr 20, 2013 Akshata rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
He claims at the very beginning that this is a conversation between him and you on a canal side cafe in Venice sharing a carafe of wine and with endless time to spare, and that's exactly what it turned out to be (although I'd prefer coffee in maybe Paris). His ten stories took me through ten beautiful places seen from the eyes of one who is there to soak in everything local - rueful about modernization and glowing about people and things that haven't changed. Each story needs to be read slowly, ...more
Kate
Nov 04, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Rick Steves actually wrote this book in 1999, but the paperback I bought (I think it was a deal on his website or something) had a postscript about some of the people and places he talked about, ten years later. The next best thing to traveling the world is a good armchair traveler read. If you're a Steves fan, you'll enjoy this one. It gives a hint here and there of a more irreverent guy - not the PC, white bread Rick of the PBS series. But, it's still very much in the Steves mode. Instead of s ...more
Leslie Jenison
Oct 05, 2011 Leslie Jenison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who plans to travel in EU
This was a captivating book of short stories about Rick Steves' wanderings throughout Europe. I have skimmed a few of his travel books from time to time but have never read extensively. I do like his style of travel. In the book he admits that, due to his travel recommendations, some of the places he loved because of the "unspoiled" nature of the place become somewhat less-so after his readers find out about them. Still, his observations are so well-written and his desire to know the people and ...more
Shannon
Jun 27, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
The chapter on Munich made me terribly homesick. But the constant self-aggrandisement was terribly off-putting, especially in his chapter on France. In the end, I kind of felt like this was a 200 page ad for Rick Steves (TM). This is a shallow set of tales with no particular insight into the cultures, the places, or much else, really. I was disappointed, having read some of his travel essays in other anthologies before.
Kathy Moberg
Two stars means "OK", and that's what this is. We listened to the audio version in the car on a trip (which seems appropriate, altho we were not in Europe!), and it helped while away the time. I am a big fan of Rick Steves' travel guides and heartily recommend them. I've enjoyed his TV show. These travel tales leave a lot to be desired, however. For this kind of writing, Bill Bryson is the author you want.
Will Todd
Nov 21, 2011 Will Todd rated it it was amazing
If, like me, you've been armchair-traveling with Rick Steves for years, either via his guidebooks or his PBS television show, this book presents a nice biographical accompaniment as to how it all came about.

Not too much else to add - same breezy style, same "backdoor" travel philosophy - and a chance to learn how it all developed.

A well-paced, "footloose and fancy-free" journey.
Scott Kellicker
May 13, 2012 Scott Kellicker rated it did not like it
Rick Steves writes very useful guidebooks. I like his philosophy of travel. I like him when I hear him on the radio.

But as a travel writer, I find this book boring and without any insight into the places he visits.

Lisa
Feb 11, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
After watching so many episodes on PBS, it is nice to fill in more details of Rick's travel life and even his philosophy. This isn't a guidebook, but it is serving as a good reminder that we each travel for different reasons. I like the Back Door philosophy!
Monica
Sep 28, 2009 Monica added it
I know it looks like I've been reading this book for a while. That's because I have! This is my "keep in the car in case I have to wait for someone" book so I only read it while I'm in my car waiting for someone!
janet Burke
Sep 26, 2011 janet Burke rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I enjoy travelogues and Rick Steve's surprised me with his occasional irreverence!
Gayle
Jan 16, 2015 Gayle rated it it was amazing
Having had the opportunity in my youth to travel all over Europe, reading this book made me feel young again. Although the author is my age, I relished in his stories, which stirred my own memories.
Jim Blessing
Oct 05, 2014 Jim Blessing rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
During our recent travels to Europe, we have used Rick Steves' guidebooks which have been quite helpful. This was a good book in explaining Rick's background and how he got into this business.
Jules
Jul 15, 2013 Jules rated it liked it
Shelves: main
914.04
Jonathan Perry
Jonathan Perry rated it really liked it
May 11, 2007
Karie
Karie rated it really liked it
May 23, 2010
Sam Cox
Sam Cox rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Anna Reese
Anna Reese rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Katherine Van Dam
Katherine Van Dam rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Joni
Joni rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Kimba
Kimba rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Kate Mcpherson
Kate Mcpherson rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2009
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Chris Gray
Chris Gray rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Paris: The Collected Traveler
  • Into a Paris Quartier: Reine Margot's Chapel and Other Haunts of St. Germain
  • The Best Place to Be Today: 365 Things to Do & the Perfect Day to Do Them
  • Paris Tales
  • College of One
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • The Medieval World (Great Courses, #8280)
  • Fighting for Life
  • National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • Way Off the Road: Discovering the Peculiar Charms of Small Town America
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...