Start by marking “Sweet Enemy” as Want to Read:
Sweet Enemy

Sweet Enemy (MacFadden Romance #179)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Wholesome Maggie Kirk had always been wary of commanding cowboy Clint Raygen. So if her best friend's forbidding older brother rubbed her the wrong way, how come she'd chosen his ranch to recover from a broken heart? She knew the dangers that her foe posed...yet every time she crossed paths with the hard-edged cattle rancher, her pulse would race out of control. Maggie sec ...more
Published August 2009 by Harlequin (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Enemy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
This is by far the meanest Diana Palmer hero, and that's saying something. I wanted to get out my extra-large titanium shovel to brain this jive turkey with. I don't think I've ever given a Diana Palmer book a C and hope never to again, other than this book, which is a C-. My dream ending would be for Maggie to walk into the sunset with a better man, and certainly not Clint.

I love you Diana Palmer, so I'll forgive you for this one that you wrote earlier on in your career.
Cdee
I love quick and easy romance novels. I usually read them when I'm in a slump and picked this one up this morning. Really cute story about a girl and her best friends brother. Really fast paced and has definitely made me want to read some others like it.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Well, heck. This guy was a jerk, supreme, but damn he is one alpa male. The jerk!

What you would expect in the genre during the 80s and from an earlier Diana Palmer: virginal heroine; alpha jerk hero who despises women but has secretly loved the younger heroine since she was even younger yet has NO problems sleeping with beautiful women while he works out his commitment/fear of the "L"-word issues. The "other" L-word. Think 80s not 2000s.

It was kinda funny!

A fast, fun, sensual (no sex scenes!) re
Shannon
I'm not sure how I ended up with this book. But I am very glad that I did not go out and actually pay money for it. The hero is an arrogant, emotionally abusive jerk. He spends the entire book being cruel to the heroine and making her feel stupid with the mind games he plays with her. I don't understand how she could love this man after all he put her through. I also don't understand how the readers at the end were supposed to be happy for this couple when her reveals his love for the heroine. A ...more
Lost
Apr 15, 2014 Lost rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diana Palmer Fans, Readers who want a break from Paranormal and mainstream genres
Yes Diana Palmer books can be a little repetitive at times but I really love her stuff. Call me crazy or it could be the fact that I haven't read anything by her in months but I loved this story. Its nice to take a break from all the vampire romance and murder mystery novels and read something like this. I really don't understand why people are being so harsh about this book. It was written in 1979. Thank about it people. That's 32 years ago. If you went back in time just ten or fifteen years th ...more
Mandy
This is one of her -- sort of -- darker books. The male mc is very alpha and has a habit of sniping on the female mc. He verbally abusive at one or two points.

Frankly, if it had been me, I would have taken a 2x4 to him and told him to shove it.

There was one point where it had a minute paranormal event with the female mc and a man named Duke. I liked him and was sad at what happened.

It was an okay read but not one of my favorites.
Kay
Mar 01, 2012 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
Another emotional roller coaster ride! Maggie's loved her best friend's brother since she was a child who stuck to him like glue. Clint adored the child, but when the child was becoming a woman, he became uncomfortable with her adoration. Scaring her away was easy, and becoming enemies proved the best way to stay at arms length. At Clint's sister's waggling, Clint agrees to let Maggie stay at the ranch while she heal a broken heart. Sparking Maggie to life comes easy to Clint but dealing with hi ...more
Desiree reilly
this is new series that i am reading and it great book here a 17 year friend and family
friend love the main man and why not he a hunk but can be a idiot two. Maggie is going
to the ranch to work for couple of week for Clint the owner and older brother of her best
friend. Well the love is in the air and now she is older and mature she still have love
for Clint and he has f or her but he wont say why or how come. Well maggeie does leave
and then accident happen and Clint has to rescue her and then do
Amanda Sheila
I kind of like it. :)

Maggie and Clint's like cat and mouse. They've been fighting and arguing since forever. But after Maggie's engagement is being hold because cheating fiancé, she's forced to go back to her hometown and meet Clint. But then her feeling's bloom. And towards Clint.

I like it. Mostly because the angst and the way Clint treated Maggie. I always love that kind of relationship. :)

Especially when he hurts her feeling. Gah! I loved it. :)
Jenny
This is one that is very much a formula that the author uses a lot. Main girl is in love with her best friend's brother and has been since childhood. I know I've said this before but I'll say it again...this is also a case of the main character is too young to make this story believable. In a "where are they now" update I don't think these two characters would still be together.
Jenifer
This was a quick read, but a good one. I read this book completely in one sitting.

I liked both Maggie and Clint, but especially Clint. He was the perfect cowboy and then still a man. Loved it. I could feel the words surround me and actually felt my heart leap as if I were Maggie.

I really liked it.
Anya
This is an average, highly formulaic romance. Super cad incapable of recognising his own feelings vs virginal ingenue who is supposedly feisty but can't really make up her mind all set on a prosperous cattle ranch complete with devoted house keeper. A quick pleasant read but not much more.
Art Coakes
It's a modern day Ranch . Only to have a rich owner to run it with my way attitude.Very controlling and cold as ice with the ladies on the Ranch. Then an accident occurs and the reality of emotions set in .Good easy read
Melanie
Very much enjoyed it, although the hero was more cruel than normal.. Seemed like he was repeating the same cycle over and over again!! And I wish that Duke Masterson could have had his own book!
Michelle
I love alpha males. Let me say again I love alpha males and no one does them better than Diana Palmer. Maybe I need a cowboy in my life.
Season
Cute, quick read. I kind of felt like I had read it before, but I think it just reminded me of other stories I have read.
Robinah
it was predictable though i liked the Masterson character. He was a nice change to the story
Andrea
I really enjoyed this book. I cried, laughed, and sighed. It left me feeling good.
Liska De Freitas
Me molestó mucho la actitud tan estupida de Clint.
Erotic Horizon
Sweet Enemy by Diana Palmer (2002)
Curly Q
I love book that is funny and lovable.
Crystal Stewart
Crystal Stewart marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Meg Myers
Meg Myers is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • The Greek Tycoon's Runaway Bride
  • Response
  • A Savage Betrayal
  • Falling for Trouble
  • Captive in His Bed (Knight Brothers, #2)
  • No Way to Begin
  • The Kouros Marriage Revenge
  • Frustration
  • The Unrequited Dom
  • Double Take
  • Return to Santa Flores (Loveswept, #40)
  • Dealing Her Final Card (Princes Untamed, #1)
  • Powerful Greek, Unworldly Wife (Innocent Wives #1)
  • Fair is the Rose
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Bull Rider's Twins (Callahan Cowboys, #3)
  • The Greek's Innocent Virgin (Kouros Brothers Duo #1 & Greek Tycoons #2)

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's liberation movement many years before it became fashionab
More about Diana Palmer...
Lawless Heartless (Long, Tall Texans, #36) Lawman (STP - Mira) Fearless (Long, Tall Texans, #35) Renegade