Start by marking “Valhalla” as Want to Read:
Valhalla

Valhalla

As everyone knows, when great warriors die, their reward is eternal life in Odin’s bijou little residence known as Valhalla. But Valhalla has just changed. It has grown. It has diversified. Just like any corporation, the Valhalla Group has had to adapt to survive. Unfortunately, not even an omniscient Norse god could have prepared Valhalla for the arrival of Carol Kortrigh ...more
Published May 3rd 2001 by Orbit (first published June 1st 2000)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
545 books — 83 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Alternate England
375 books — 295 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark Cain
Jul 29, 2013 Mark Cain rated it really liked it
A wonderfully cracked book about the afterlife, a la Norse mythology. Eternity turns out to be so boring that watching paint dry is a popular activity among the inhabitants of this silly Valhalla.
Monk
Aug 17, 2007 Monk rated it liked it
I read this as a follow-up to break into Holt after having completed The Portable Door. It has an amazing concept, but the problem lies in execution.

The concept revolves around the thorny situation of the Afterlife. When you die in battle, the Norse Pantheon says you're theirs. Some people like it, most don't and some people REALLY like it - to the point where they must be restrained.

The problem is, Lin Kortright's daughter is in Vallhalla - and it's not her fault. As a matter of fact, she's onl
Kiri
Jun 07, 2012 Kiri rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sf
The idea behind this book has a lot of merit and it could have been a very good book, unfortunately the plot dragged and Holt's normal comedic writing style seemed to have vanished. I persevered to the end of the book, which required a lot of will power, only to find a rather lacklustre conclusion and some loose ends. Normally I get frustrated by loose ends but I just couldn't bring myself to care about these particular ones. None of the characters or situations appealed to me and there was very ...more
Dave Higgins
Sep 25, 2012 Dave Higgins rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Copy of my Launchpad review from 2001:
In this latest comic novel, Holt returns to his trademark fusion of the modern world and Germanic myth; this time it is the Norse Warriors’ afterlife that benefits from his touch.
As with so many of his books, several (apparently unconnected) different characters take leading roles, and slowly intertwine.
Without spoiling the plot, Holt has produced a consistent explanation for what Valhalla is, and how it works, which in turn leads on to the human reaction t
Medha
Nov 02, 2015 Medha rated it it was ok
This was my first Tom Holt, so I went in with a blank canvass. I wouldn't say its a bad book. Its a very interesting concept about Valhalla and how it might be. But there were so many unconnected stories that I was confused till the very end. Only when you reach the last chapter can you actually understand the story.
Nae
May 17, 2016 Nae rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny
2.5 confused stars
Trevor Polcyn
Jan 06, 2017 Trevor Polcyn rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful, yet bleak, articulation of the afterlife. Loved it!
Nathan Dehoff
Apr 24, 2016 Nathan Dehoff rated it liked it
I was looking forward to this one, as I enjoy humorous works on classical mythology, but it was a little disappointing. It largely centers around Lin Kortright, an agent for supernatural beings, who had previously appeared in Paint Your Dragon. It's an amusing idea, and I like the explanation of Kortright's job and his conversations with various gods, but the main plot doesn't go much of anywhere. One of the main themes is tailoring the afterlife to what people think they want or deserve, so is ...more
Megan
Apr 10, 2013 Megan rated it it was ok
There were one or two glimpses of humour and cleverness in this book, but they were buried very deep among plodding repetitiveness and uninspired characters. I'm not quite sure what this book was about, even though I've only just finished it. The afterlife, sure, but I'm sure there was some social commentary or great truths that was supposed to be conveyed but really just fell flat.

I've read other Tom Holt books that I've liked well enough even if I've never found them spectacular, but this one
Cj
Aug 24, 2013 Cj rated it really liked it
Tom Holt has a deep understanding of role-playing games (RPGs) and brings to life the general drift of all RPGs: Oops, you died, better luck next round, OK ready or not the next time around starts Now! But it's really happening this time. Howard wanted the escape from real life that an RPG affords, or did he? And Carol, a cocktail waitress, is definitely not at all happy about being dead and in Valhalla.

You will never look at a painted wall the same way again after reading Valhalla.
Mewie Kitty
Apr 25, 2010 Mewie Kitty rated it liked it
This is the first Tom Holt book I've read, having heard that he can be a good read for people who like Terry Pratchett's works. I must admit I was disappointed though. I think it started okay, but after a while, it began to feel to me like he was just repeating over and over what had already been said earlier in the book.
Lynn
May 02, 2008 Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: holt
I am a fan of Tom Holt so this volume was a big disappointment. Most of Tom Holt's books have received five stars from me. Measured against all books this one rates three stars, but rated against Mr. Holt's other works it only rates two stars.
Eileen Hall
Jan 03, 2016 Eileen Hall rated it it was amazing
Tom Holt writes some brilliant, very funny books!
This is no exception.
His stories are always set in the present day.
His characters are more than believable!
Another author that I re read very often!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
One of the funniest Tom Holt book I've ever read! As usual, the characters are as wacky as can be (Attila is just irresistible!), there are non-stop gags, the storyline is very original... I loved it all! A very good Tom Holt:)
Anthony
Sep 15, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it
Very funny, well worth picking up if you see it. Especially liked the ideas that Old Gods get old.
Fwenx
Jul 01, 2012 Fwenx rated it it was ok
The story was a bit too muddled for me. The hilarious gems here and there are a bit drowned in flawed storytelling. I liked another book by Tom Holt, Flying Dutch, better.
Rajiv Perseedoss
Aug 25, 2013 Rajiv Perseedoss rated it it was amazing
Tom Holt is one of the best british writers, in my opinion! It's so hilarious, wild beyond imagination and had me reading this even when i was in my holidays - it's that good!
Dirk
Jun 28, 2012 Dirk rated it liked it
a very different kind of vahalla, definitely not the one you heard or read about, adventures of Carol Kortright and other clients provided by Odin, hilarious, good entertainment
Sabrina
Huh?

This book was so confusing I still have no idea what happened or why. Good writing. But I truly don't get the point of it. Wish I'd spent my money on something else.
Paul Squires
Paul Squires rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Ben Hortop
Ben Hortop rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Simon Cook
Simon Cook rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Nicholas Young
Nicholas Young rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Mariam Ridley
Mariam Ridley rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Colin Kirkham
Colin Kirkham rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Tryggvi
Tryggvi rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2012
Tudor Nadal
Tudor Nadal rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Kashmira
Kashmira rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
  • Web Site Story
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...