Start by marking “Invitation to Valhalla” as Want to Read:
Invitation to Valhalla

Invitation to Valhalla

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Erika Lehmann. She is the Nazis' top spy. Code-named "Lorelei," she is the English speaking daughter of Hitler's old comrade and a member of the Fuhrer's inner circle. She is beautiful, athletic, and clever--the epitome of Aryan womanhood. She'll stop at nothing to accomplish her mission, including masquerading as a Jew. Joe Mayer. A prominent American metallurgist working ...more
Published January 4th 2004 by iUniverse Star (first published December 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Invitation to Valhalla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invitation to Valhalla

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
WWII Historic Fiction
185th out of 663 books — 549 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Winds of War by Herman Wouk
World War II Fiction
336th out of 751 books — 1,234 voters

More lists with this book...

Shazza Maddog
Sep 25, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it liked it
Tim
Mar 07, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: local-interest
I picked this book up for the local interest. It was written by an Evansville, IN high school teacher and a good portion of the story line occurs on the Evansville riverfront. The book is based on a true story during WWII. I was very impressed by the writing quality and the quick moving story line. I would recommend this book for any lover of the spy/thriller genre. The local landmarks and WWII history were simply an added bonus for me.
Sumi
Nov 06, 2009 Sumi rated it really liked it
This book was so interesting!! About a german spy in America during WW 2. Starts in Germany and then moves into the USA. So you learn about the spy training and the internal politics of Nazi Germany and then see how it applies as this person goes to America. Based on true events, so even better. I admit its closer to my heart because its set in Indiana, but still a great read!
Tamera
Apr 23, 2012 Tamera rated it really liked it
Have to admit, found this book to be an enjoyable read (WWII, German spy infiltrating the US, FBI, etc) but was even more impressed when I finished it and discovered that it was a true story. Would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of that genre.
Beverly
Feb 04, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it
Wonderful read. A local high school teach wrote this and although I'm not really into WWII novels, this one really caught me up. A lot of the appeal is that there are many locations mentioned in the book that were actually here in Evansville. In particular, the shipyards, the Trocadero and the Knotty Pine cafe.
Becky Rusie
Sep 08, 2015 Becky Rusie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating read if you are a Hoosier and like knowing more of the role of Indiana in WWII. Hitler sending a spy to Evansville, Indiana, is not something I had ever read before! But it is all true.
Jim
Sep 03, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
I read Invitation to Valhalla years ago, enjoyed it, and recently found out the story is now a trilogy and got the other books on Kindle. The second installment is entitled 'Blood of the Reich' and the third book is Return to Valhalla where Erika, the main character, returns to Germany during WW2. All three books are very good, with the last one -- Return to Valhalla -- my favorite. The author has a way of making you feel for the characters, even a female Nazi spy. And as a history buff of the W ...more
Jay
Dec 27, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
The story, the research, and the characters deserve five stars. I cannot get enough of Erika. It was great to see the point of view of someone on the very edge of Hitler's inner circle, and to see the training of Abwehr's competent spies (which, as I have learned, the spies in Ireland were not).

But the style was distracting. There's a little too much "As you know, [insert something for the reader's benefit that the character would never say]," and a little too much historical exposition at time
Judy
Jun 20, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Written by an Evansville man, it centers around a woman who was a Nazi spy in Evansville. We will have lunch with the author at the Dogtown Tavern. Hope the book's good!

I'll let my star rating suffice so as not to spoil the book for others.

Our lunch with the author was at the Dogtown Tavern, which figures prominently in the last chapters. Identifying specific locations in Evansville history (including the LST) encouraged us to plan to read the sequel, Blood of the Reich, for next month. Mike ha
Barbara
Aug 15, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Hmm.....well, I can honestly say that while I enjoyed this book the writing was horrible! Was an editor involved in the creative process at all because I read so many grammatical errors I lost count! A good storyline, historically intriguing but I just couldn't get beyond the poorly written dialogue and the lack of character development (Joe Mayer....zzzzzzzz). The ending was just too "30's/40's Hollywoood esq" and all I could envision was Leonardo DiCaprio as J Edgar Hoover! However, if you lik ...more
Natalie
Dec 02, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
Not the best written book in the world, but it takes place in my hometown (Evansville, IN) during World War II, and for that fact alone, it gets a star or two. It's supposedly based on the true story of a German female spy (ranked very highly in Hitler's cabinet) who ensconced herself in Evansville, which was a busy commercial center during that time, and busied herself with some Axis Power espionage til she realized the "error" of her ways and atoned. Or something. Really, it's not that great o ...more
Robert Sparrenberger
Dec 17, 2015 Robert Sparrenberger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent, excellent, excellent book! This is the second time I've read it. I wanted to read all three in a row but have not read the other two.

This book takes place in my home town of Evansville, Indiana. The author does a fabulous job of describing the local foods and places. I can see them all in my mind. Just fantastic.

It's well written and the action is fast paced with great descriptions of the characters.

Can't recommend enough.
Yasi
Dec 15, 2015 Yasi rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, favorites
The best thing about this book is honestly the depth of research done to convey such a weaving story. Erika Lehmann is also the best protagonists I have ever had to meet. Honestly speaking, the only weakness of the book is the author's way of writing, which can sometimes become distracting and impractical. However, sometimes the plot of the story is so strong that the writing does not really matter at all.
Susan
Feb 27, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Fascinating story, supposedly based on true events, about a WWII German spy who infiltrates the Ohio River shipyard in Evansville, IN. The fact that it is set in Evansville leads me to think it's true - it's is not exactly the first locale that comes to mind for a spy story - but the Hollywood ending makes me doubt just a little bit.
Lesley
Dec 05, 2007 Lesley rated it really liked it
This is actually a really neat book. I'm not usually a fan of spy novels, but this one takes place during WWII (learn a lot about the Nazis!) and in Evansville, Indiana - which made it a lot of fun for me to read since I can picture the places. Not the best book I've ever read, but interesting enough.
Holly Shoulders (Panozzo)
Sep 14, 2009 Holly Shoulders (Panozzo) rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. not one for history, i was mildy apprehensive when this book was recommended, but it really is more of a mystery than a historical read. great story, and i thoroughly enjoyed the part of the story including evansville during that time. i highly recommend it to everyone.
Jonathan Tomes
I liked everything about this book, but what I found amazing was the wealth of detail about the training of spies (as a former Army military intelligence officer I found the training spot on), the research on improving weapons and LSTs, and, most of all, the details of the home front. A great read!
Maureen
Feb 14, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great spy story about a German spy during WWII. She is in America to find military secrets. In this book, it is hard to determine who to route for. We should want the FBI to catch the spy, but she is such a great character, you want to route for her also.
Steve
Sep 09, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Outstanding. Had me hooked from about page 20 HARD. couldn't see the ending coming. Was told about this somewhat obscure book and out it on my to-read list for a year. Wish I had not waited. Currently on book 3 of this trilogy straight through.
Lacey
Nov 10, 2010 Lacey rated it really liked it
this was really great. lots of action and a great plot. I've read several WWII books from the Jewish perspective or sentiment (Book Thief, Suite Francaise) but this was so different since it's told mostly from the Nazi perspective. highly recommend this.
Maura
Jan 26, 2015 Maura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Invitation to Valhalla is in my top 5 of favorite books we've read in book club. I could not put it down and thought about it forever. The last scene...did she or didn't she? I believe she most likely did! Read it and answer for yourself.
Adam
Oct 23, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A great Nazi spy novel. The book's primary focus is on a female double agent who socializes with Hitler. It makes for a very interesting read, and throws some real facts into the mix for context. If you like spy novels, definitely read this.
Peggy
Aug 12, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Great WWII spy novel from a German perspective, and a woman's. Interesting also because much of it takes place in in this area. Its always a plus to read a book and be able to visualize the settings because you've actually been there.
Ruth Dean
Mar 31, 2016 Ruth Dean rated it really liked it
This was a compelling historical novel which takes place in Indiana during WWII. I had to put it down early because of the heinous " interrogation " techniques of the gestapo. Once I began again I could hardly put it down.
Edna
Jun 05, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it
I was enthralled by this book, but I like mysteries, spy novels. This one has the added benefit of being based on fact .... spy games during WWII right here in the Midwest.

Very enjoyable Read
Libby
Jan 30, 2011 Libby rated it really liked it
I really liked this book once I got into it. It written by an Evansville author and a lot of the story takes place in Evansville during the Nazi era.
Carrie
Jul 16, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing

Loved this book. Historical fiction of WWII espionage. It was exciting and a quick read. I'm still questioning how much of it is fiction vs fact.
Steve Hanmore
Oct 18, 2011 Steve Hanmore rated it it was amazing
Moved to the top of my favorite books! Although I am sure it would not do the book justice this would make a great movie.
Amy Blanford phillips
Aug 26, 2012 Amy Blanford phillips rated it it was amazing
Loved that this was a book based in Evansville, IN. Really enjoyed the book!
Dec 10, 2010 Sarah added it
Historical Fiction aboout a Nazi spy in Evansville, Indiana
  • Baja Florida
  • Wicked Break (Noah Braddock, #2)
  • Blood of the Reich
  • Hitler's Peace
  • The Berlin Deception
  • Night Over Day Over Night
  • The Company of Strangers
  • The Other Half of Life: A Novel Based on the True Story of the MS St. Louis
  • Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • A Line in the Sand
  • The Rules of Silence
  • Wolf Hunt: The Burning Ages
  • The Muslim next door : the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing
  • Etta
Mike Whicker is a Colorado native. He now resides in the Midwest. Whicker is the author of the Erika Lehmann WW II spy trilogy, Invitation to Valhalla, Blood of the Reich, and Return to Valhalla. Whicker also authored the novel Proper Suda.
More about Mike Whicker...