Start by marking “Jellicoe Road” as Want to Read:
Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  26,482 ratings  ·  4,488 reviews
In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.

At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose
Published March 9th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jellicoe Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jellicoe Road

Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireWallbanger by Alice ClaytonOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungHopeless by Colleen Hoover
True Stand Alones Worth Reading
68th out of 586 books — 755 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Books I Stayed Up All Night Reading!
110th out of 573 books — 682 voters

More lists with this book...

Lora
Aug 16, 2011 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lora by: Lots of good people

There's a reason why books like Twilight don't receive those. They don't give those to just any book, and when you factor in excellence . . . well, a lot of titles just don't make the cut. But it is clear to me why Melina Marchetta's third tribute to YA literature received a Printz award back in 2009. It is because it is excellent, to the very meaning of the word.

If all YA contemporary writers wrote like Marchetta, I doubt I'd play in any other genre playground very often. She writes these beaut
Emily May
Jan 11, 2014 Emily May rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

There's a monster in my mirror with puffy bloodshot eyes because she stayed up most of the night, crying and reading On the Jellicoe Road. But it was worth it.

Melina Marchetta never fails to remind me why she is one of my favourite authors and, in my opinion, this is the best of her books I've read so far. It's very difficult to put into words how I feel about On the Jellicoe Road, all I can say is that my heart has been ripped out and shredded, my throat has sealed up with emotion and when I f
karen
i have got to stop being surprised when teen fiction is good. printz-award winning fiction (you know, the award for literary teen fiction that all the grown-ups read and say "this is for teens??"). australian teen fiction. complicated, multi-layered teen fiction.

this book is all of the above, and it is remarkable.

it has sex and drugs and rock and roll, it has violence and terrible crimes, it has shock and awe and guilt and terrible secrets and it opens with a death. this is my kind of teen ficti
Tatiana
Feb 19, 2014 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of realistic YA fiction
As seen on The Readventurer

I don't often give books 5-star ratings. Normally these are the books that either horrify me (Unwind, The Handmaid's Tale) or delight me with superb writing (The Queen of Attolia, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks) or awe me with imaginative world building (The Left Hand of Darkness) or make me cry (Before I Die). Jellicoe Road definitely falls into this last "made-me-weep" category.

Jellicoe Road is the location of a boarding school for kids that are oft
Nataliya
Jun 29, 2012 Nataliya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nataliya by: Emily May
Shelves: 2012-reads
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, did you?" This quote belongs to Stephen King, but it describes the soul of Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road perfectly.

Jellicoe Road is the story of friendships that form your world, friendships so wonderful that it's easy to fall to pieces when they break. It is the story of abandonment and loss and learning to deal with it. It is the story of love, intense to the extreme with the generous helping of teen angst. In shor
Maggie Stiefvater
I will preface this review by saying that I love this book. But not every will love this book.

I will also preface this review by saying that you shouldn't decide whether you belong in group A or group B before you get to page 125 or so. The first 125 pages are a confusing, emotional slog that seems to be about territorial "wars" between rival teen sects in Australia. But it's really brilliantly done -- because that is exactly what the main character, Taylor Markham, thinks of things. It's busy
Jo
God. This book.

-----

Note: I’m not sure where the words ‘On the’ went… I’m assuming it’s different for the British version and not that I have a defective copy.
Also… while I’m Note-ing: This review will be a lot shorter than other reviews because this book is best read knowing nothing about it.

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Breathtaking. I need to listen to the masses more.

High Points.
JONAH GRIGGS. Sorry, had to get that out there. Taylor Markham= New Soul Sister. Australia. Mystery! Nostalgia. C
Basuhi
Dec 27, 2013 Basuhi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, Everyone. Please don't ask me to make any sense now.
GAZILLION STARS.

179 books. And this is just the second one.
I cried. For the second time ever.

( Now that was when I first read this book, so let me re-phrase, 262 books, and I re-read this, and I cried again. This time the tears didn't come as a surprise but as a tacit affirmation of the emotional brilliance that this book presents. You can now continue with the original review, that is all I wanted to say. )

I can't write a review for this. No, I can't because its one of those books that you can
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Simply incredible. I cried way too much, but it was so worth it. Will review tomorrow when I can wrap my head around what to write.

*moves ahead a day in time*

After sleeping on it, I'm still struggling with how to write a proper review. There are some books which are virtually impossible to explain, and this is one of them. The GR book summary gives no indication what the book is really about, and truth be told, I'm not sure you'd want to know what the book is about before reading it.

The first 15
Kat Kennedy
You gut me, Marchetta. Absolutely gut me.
Flannery
Feb 09, 2011 Flannery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for good YA
Recommended to Flannery by: All my GR friends
A lot of people think that Henry David Thoreau* went to Walden to live a solitary life. I felt like that until I actually went to Walden Pond. Imagine my surprise when some friends and I decided to go for a hike, go for a swim and check out the scenery--we left Boston around 9...and we got there by 9:30. Yeah right, HDT, I could live deliberately in the woods, too, if I knew my transcendentalist cronies would bring me a Cinnabon and some pumpkin ale once in awhile.** Nevertheless, Thoreau’s idea ...more
Kristin (KC)
5+ Stars! Gorgeous...

Books like this make me realize just how insignificant words become when attempting to convey raw emotion. On the Jellicoe Road is more than just a book; it is a hauntingly beautiful journey towards an unexpected destination where tragedy and despair become the bridges to the greatest of friendships.

And life goes on, which seems kind of strange and cruel when you're watching someone die.

This story is told in alternating perspectives of both the past and present which, at fi
Vinaya
This book is so fucked up. Completely, totally fucked up. Everybody in it is fucked up, and living their lives is fucked up, and by the time you're done with it, you're fucked up, but you can't tell because your head is cloudy from all the tears you've shed getting through this fucked-up book.

I hate On The Jellicoe Road. I hate books that make me cry, and this book made me want to weep tears of blood for all that lost youth and promise, and the pain of loss and the promise of the future. If som
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
“He’s the most beautiful creature I have ever seen and it’s not about his face, but the life force I can see in him. It’s the smile and the pure promise of everything he has to offer. Like he’s saying, ‘Here I am world, are you ready for so much passion and beauty and goodness and love and every other word that should be in the dictionary under the word life?’”

Sometimes, guys, simply reading a book once is not enough.

You find that reading it a second time offers you a whole other reading exper
Ana Rita
On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is remarkable.

I finished reading this book yesterday afternoon and after a good hour of crying I spent my night thinking about it. It's without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read.

This is a complex story and like some reviews have already stated, in the beginning it can be confusing. I was warned by my friends and kept reading (thanks Ash and Kim♥) and I'm really glad I did because this book is incredible.

That said, you should consider it a cha
Janina
I’m at a loss for words. This book has made me cry and laugh out loud. It has made me fall in love with its characters, no matter how small their role. It is a book that I’m not likely to forget at any time.

Jellicoe Road deals with death and loss, with abandonment, drug-addiction and suicide. Each character has her or his own terrible past to come to terms with, and sometimes I wondered: How do these people manage to live on when even I almost can’t cope with what they’ve been through?
But abov
K.D. Absolutely
May 13, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 version)
Every Filipino who loves his country must read this book.

Reason: On April 13, 2012, North Korea's long-range rocket launched, failed. Reuters is now saying that, embarrassed by rocket crash, North Korea may now be thinking of trying nuclear test.

Check the path and the trajectory plan of that failed rocket launch:
northkorea
Do you see that tail-end of the yellow line? That's Luzon, the biggest island in the Philippines. That's where Manila is. That's where I live!

But why should we read this book?

Here's wh
Nomes
I first read 'On The Jellicoe Road' in 2006. I had been DYING for it's release ~ and can still remember how tingly and giddy I felt as I walked home with my copy. Back then, I had 3 kids under 5 and couldn't wait for them to get in bed so I could curl up and savour my new Melina Marchetta.

On The Jellicoe Road is notorious for people finding the beginning confusing ~ and I have seen lovers of the book urge people to persevere to find it's magic.

It was not like that for me. From the first chapter
Kim
First of all: many thanks to my friends over at The Corner, for making me want to read this book. ♥

I'm really glad I struggled through the first few chapters, even while feeling like an idiot because it was like standing in the middle of a group of people who were speaking a language I couldn't understand.

But then the fog cleared up and things started to make sense. And then...

This is the hardest review I've had to write so far, because I don't know what to say about this book. I can lean back
Arlene
Aug 18, 2014 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Pretty much everyone on the Street Corner, especially Alexa
"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More…

Well, it’s been over twelve hours and I still don’t know how to start to review this book. I thought I gave myself enough time for a better perspective and drier eyes, but hot DAMN I’m crying again! I don’t like to cry, and I don’t do it very often because I can’t stand how it feels. But would I trade the emotional experience of this book for steadier breathes and calmer emotions? Not a chance
Bethany
Some books, you just can't describe. Some books, you just have to tell people to read, if they want to know. This is a book like that.

I had no idea what was going on for the first, oh, 150 pages? When I hit page 100 and I still wasn't into it, I thought about how some people have a 100 page rule--read the first one hundred pages of a book, and if you still don't like it, you can put it down. I actually considered putting Jellicoe Road down.

I didn't, though, because I had to have something to r
Ariana
It took me 113 days to write a full review.. I counted.

Reading one of Marchetta’s stories should be one of the “10 things to do in your lifetime”. Seriously, this woman is one of the most creative people alive, one of the most amazing writers I came across and I wish I could put into words the awesomeness of this book, but I feel at a loss for words once more.

In fact, I should invent a new language with a dictionary full of ways to praise her talent.

Because Melina Marchetta doesn’t only write b
SheWunders
So I just don't get what others love about this book. It's a Cybil's Finalist and a ALA Printz Award Winner. So people LOVE Jellicoe Road and I usually follow popular librarian opinion, but I just can't get on this bandwagon.

I felt like the writing was very, very confusing. For the first 100 pages I really couldn't tell what was going on. Don't get me wrong - dramatic and interesting things were happening, but I couldn't even begin to see how they were related. The character development is very
Tom
5 just isn’t enough stars for this book. It is the kind of book that if 5 is the top rating makes me rethink all my other ratings because if this is a 5, I have some 5 star books that might be 3’s. I haven’t been this passionate about a book since Sempre and although I can pimp that book out to a wider range of people, this book has surpassed it as my favorite YA romance book ( not even sure if YA romance is the right description for it).

This is a story of friendship, growing up, hurt, love, lo
Ronyell
5.5 stars!

After reading “Saving Francesca” and hearing so many good reviews on this book, I had decided to pick up another one of Melina Marchetta’s young adult novels and I came across “Jellicoe Road” (some versions it is called On the Jellicoe Road). “Jellicoe Road” is a Printz Award winning book and I was absolutely blown away by how emotional and exciting this novel really is!

Taylor Markham was eleven years old when she was abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road. Now seventeen years old,
little machines
Jun 02, 2012 little machines rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every living thing on this planet.
Recommended to little machines by: Many Goodreads friends of mine. <3 I thank you for that, guys.
I'm suddenly questioning if Angelfall really was the best YA book I've ever read.

How in the world am I supposed to come up with a review worthy of this...masterpiece? It's not even a book. It's a fucking masterpiece. Any review I come up with will never do it justice. Ever.

Excuse me while I repeatedly stab myself for not reading it sooner.
Greg
I can't be the first person to see this connection, but I didn't notice any of my friends mention this so I'll use it as the starting off point for my review of this book.

Jellicoe Road is the novel equivalent of Arcade Fire's debut album Funeral. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" was used super-effectively in the trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are", but it's a song cut from the same cloth of this book, if there ever is a movie it, I'd think this song would have to be dusted off for another trailer
Eh?Eh!
I don't know how to pick apart the mechanics of writing so I'm not sure how she does it. How does she present a selfish teen who is special, popular, and loved and not make me dislike her? I think this is what Special Topics in Calamity Physics tried to be but failed for me. I think. I'm not good at the literary but YA provides steps instead of a sheer cliff face so it slowly guides me to something, something I can believe without losing me. Marchetta is terrific at this. The stories of two grou ...more
Rollie
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

My reading of this book took me sixteen hours to finish.

I counted, of course.

It started last month. One of the busiest months I ever had where I’d become a walking robot because of the workloads I had. I was eager to read this book because most of my bookish friends raved about it, and I’m glad I was able to start reading with this book. I remember asking, “What is waiting for me ahead of this story?”, and they said, “Rollie, my friend, when you go there, you’ll see,” and that w
Aaron Vincent
May 12, 2012 Aaron Vincent rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron Vincent by: Chachic
Originally posted here.

Why? Why did I read this just now? I bought my copy a long time ago upon recommendation of people I thought my friends. If said people are real friends, they wouldn’t just recommend it, they should have tied me in a chair and forced me to read this. I reckon they don’t have to tie me in that chair too long because it only took a couple of pages before I fell in love with this amazing book. I frequently tell people that if only I could I would marry Paper Towns, but that ha
YA Buddy Readers'...: On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta- Restarting October 11th 2014 50 100 Oct 18, 2014 05:59AM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Jellicoe Road - Aliya Baig 1 3 Oct 17, 2014 06:35AM
About the Epilogue, About Webb 15 340 Sep 19, 2014 12:10AM
On the Jellicoe Road Dream Cast 2 35 Sep 12, 2014 08:44PM
confused: Webb and Fitz?? 15 692 Jun 01, 2014 03:19PM
Wild Things: YA G...: February 2014- On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta 5 27 Feb 15, 2014 04:03PM
  • Raw Blue
  • A Little Wanting Song
  • Good Oil
  • This is Shyness (This is Shyness, #1)
  • Friday Brown
  • Wildlife
  • The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Ashbury/Brookfield, #4)
  • Life in Outer Space
  • Preloved
  • The Storyteller
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Black Juice
  • The White Darkness
  • Girl Defective
Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the ...more
More about Melina Marchetta...
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) Saving Francesca Looking for Alibrandi Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) The Piper's Son

“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.” 1024 likes
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.”