Start by marking “Tea Culture: History, Traditions, Celebrations, Recipes & More” as Want to Read:
Tea Culture: History, Traditions, Celebrations, Recipes & More

Tea Culture: History, Traditions, Celebrations, Recipes & More

Pour a cup, open the covers....this is your cup of tea! Tea for two, tea for three...tea for more! Hot or cold, sweetened or black, alcoholic or herbal, caffeinated or decaf: the drink may be ancient, but tea culture is trendy. More and more people are discovering the elegance, versatility, downright good taste, and even the health benefits of this delicious beverage. And ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Imagine (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tea Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea Culture

Joseph
Sep 19, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, food
Tea Culture: History, Traditions, Celebrations, Recipes & More by Beverly Dubrin is a very readable and informative book on tea and infusions. Dubrin gives a history of tea along with its mythology. Unlike coffee houses in Europe that seemed to equalize the population, tea, on the other hand, separated the population between the rich and poor. Tea, however, did seem to create a unifying factor in the American colonies as several "tea parties" happened in prerevolutionary America. It was also ...more
☼♄Jülie 
Oct 27, 2015 ☼♄Jülie  rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tea lovers.
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Self.

Everything you wanted to know about tea and tisanes, from the history of tea drinking and its sources to the many ways of making and drinking it.
This is a really informative and enjoyable book with beautiful pictures, both historical and recent, and many recipes for making teas and tisanes.

Included with each of the various tisanes is a brief description of the beneficial health qualities (or remedial effects) assigned to them and recipes for making your own.
There are also some lovely recipes fo
Kristen
I really wanted to like this one, and, in a lot of ways, I did. Visually, it’s a lovely book, with lots of photographs and illustrations of tea and tea-related subjects. And though the writing could have used a bit more polish (it gets a little clunky at times), the author’s enthusiasm for her subject really shines through, making for an interesting read and some tasty-sounding recipes. However, I felt that the facts in this book were sourced rather poorly.

Given her love of tea, I’m more than wi
Amanda Wilson
Aug 10, 2014 Amanda Wilson rated it it was ok
Shelves: tea-themed
It's Sunday, that means it is time to crack open a tea book for review. Of course I have a cup of tea to sip while writing this (and while reading it) I am on steep number four of some Da Hong Pao and getting a bit tea drunk. Tea Culture: History, Traditions, Celebrations, Recipes & More by Beverly Dubrin is a fairly short book with lots of lovely photographs and little nuggets of tea information.

Sadly I am unable to show lots fun photos of me reading this book because I checked out a digita
Teri-k
Sep 24, 2015 Teri-k rated it liked it
The best part of this book is the photos. That's not a put-down, just an acknowledgement that the pictures are awesome! Many of them are historic, they include the ethnicities discussed in the text, and thankfully are included in the e-book so everyone can enjoy them.

Unfortunately this book about tea felt rushed and didn't include nearly enough detail to satisfy me. Why just mention a tea related legend and not actually tell it? Why try to cover historic events in a few sentences instead of givi
Odette Cortés
Sep 27, 2015 Odette Cortés rated it liked it
As a tea lover I was quite excited to get my hands on this book. Tea Culture is an introduction to the world of tea. From its history and the legends that surround it to modern day rituals.
I wished the book had more direction. The world of tea is quite large and the book tires to cover as much terrain as it can, it would have been nice that it wasn't as superficial. Just a small introduction to a a ceremony and then it moves to the next. I wish it had had more content in that sense.
The edition,
S.J. Francis
Nov 24, 2015 S.J. Francis rated it it was amazing
I love a good cup of tea, or as some English would say, a cuppa. I like to drink it when I’m ill. I like to drink it when I relax. Aside from an alcoholic beverage, nothing says relaxation like a good cup of tea. There’s something comforting about a good cup of tea.
Want to learn all about this fascinating beverage that keeps tea drinkers coming back for more? I did and that is why I read this book. It is also why I am writing this review to share with you now. As the description so aptly puts it
Melissa
Sep 26, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arc, cook-book
This is an interesting little book on tea. It's a good overview of the different types of teas and includes some brief history of tea.

Overall, I was a bit surprised that so many different tea cultures were overlooked in a book that seemed present itself as covering everything. I was missing all of the Middle East, India, and Eastern Europe. I was also a bit confused by the term "blue tea." I've been an oolong drinker for years, buying it online and in stores and I've never once heard it called
Deanna
Nov 03, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it
This a really beautiful book. The pictures are stunning.

This book has a lot of information on tea. It includes information on the processing, health benefits, and the differences between teas. It was a really comprehensive book on tea.

I love tea. I enjoyed learning about all the different kinds of tea, and the recipes were delicious. I especially liked learning about how to make tea smoothies from fruit. This book made me want to be little more creative with tea.

This is a must have book for pe
Arlian
Nov 24, 2013 Arlian rated it liked it
I give this book 3 stars, but it if wasn't for the recipe section (which is actually pretty tasty) it would only get 2.

Some of the information in this book is incorrect, and a lot of the photos are captioned incorrectly (for example, a photo that displayed a bunch of herbal tea leaves labeled camomile tea as rose hips). It's also quite short, I read it in an afternoon.

It was a acceptable way to pass a lazy, rainy, Sunday afternoon but no more than that.
Leyla Johnson
Oct 21, 2015 Leyla Johnson rated it it was amazing
What a lovely little book, it make a very interesting and easy read, which includes the history, traditions, explains the type of teas - what makes them white, blue, black, green or yellow. It includes information on herbal teas, with recipes and finally how to host a tea party with sandwich and small cake recipes. A very comprehensive book on tea. Very well presented, with lots of photos and information which is very interesting even if one is not a tea lover.
Polly Krize
Oct 29, 2015 Polly Krize rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Mmmmmm, mint tea julep, just by adding green tea! Oops, got sidetracked. Please read this fascinating history of tea, written by Beverly Dubrin, with a cup at your side. You will find it a satisfying read. From tea ceremonies to tea bag design to all the variations in type, color and flavors of tea. A well researched book, and recommended.
GONZA
Nov 10, 2015 GONZA rated it really liked it
Well written, clear, full of explanations and pictures and in the end even of recipes, best book about teas I read so far.

Ben scritto, chiaro, pieno di spiegazioni e fotografie e alla fine ci sono anche delle ricette, probabilmente il miglior libro sul té che abbia letto fino a questo momento.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND CHARLESBRIDGE FOR THE PREVIEW!
Ali
Apr 13, 2015 Ali rated it liked it
I picked this up thinking it would be a quick rehashing of all things tea, but was really surprised at the thought and research put into making this book. I learned brief histories of big tea companies and a few tea processing details, in addition to the rehashing of all things tea.
Cindy Norton
Mar 15, 2016 Cindy Norton rated it really liked it
Beautiful book - includes the history and traditions of the tea industry. Explains the different types of teas and even includes some wonderful recipes using teas. Also includes health benefits of the different types of teas. It is very informative yet a pleasure to read!
Sean Talbot
Sep 25, 2015 Sean Talbot rated it it was amazing
a very informative look about teas. it is candid about benefits and dispels some of the myths that have sprouted up about teas

I love the recipes as well and they give a lot of ideas of what you can try
Sep 27, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I loved this book and want it for my bookshelf. The pictures were beautiful and the recipes look scrumptious. Huge thank you to NetGalley for providing the eBook for review.
Sabrina Smith
Aug 25, 2013 Sabrina Smith rated it liked it
This book was interesting and had some nice photos. I think the book would make a good coffee table piece.
Cat
Apr 07, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it
An slim but interesting book. I enjoyed the historical photographs, and information. The recipes are interesting, as well, and seem very doable.
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Olivia Stransky
Feb 04, 2014 Olivia Stransky rated it it was ok
Not very much information or history in the book.
Marie Finnegan
Marie Finnegan rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2010
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Sammy
Sammy rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
This was a quick one-day read; good, but not quite what I expected.
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013