Start by marking “Dead End Dating” as Want to Read:
Dead End Dating

Dead End Dating (Dead End Dating #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,234 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
BITING IS SO LAST SEASON.

Published August 29th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead End Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead End Dating

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

Who am I trying to fool? Why would I even try this? I got to 2% and am marking it as "not-for-me." There's nothing wrong with this book. It's just me. But, one thing that did put me off was we are dealing with a 500 year old vampire who acts like she is an immature 19 (not trying to offend 19 year olds). What is up with authors writing old vampires and not having them talk and act like they were born in another time? At least that is one thing Anne Rice got right.

I'm a single, hot, happening vam
Tara
2.5, another upbeat it was ok. I think the thing that really turned me off to this book is that fact that the narrator was not the kind of person (or Vamp) I like spending time with and since she's the voice of the story. I really don't follow clothes and fashions and so the constant interjections about what people were wearing started to get really old, really quick. Plus, it was hard to root for her to get the guy when I really didn't like her, and dreaded the thought of hearing their interact ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I was a bit reluctant to start on this endeavor, for the back cover description sounded a bit too cutesy for me. Also, I enjoy male vampires with female humans as the main characters, but I of course was curious about this one and am as addicted to series as vamps are to the red stuff. Pleasantly, this book was very different, focusing basically only on vamp-vamp relations, involving humans to a lesser degree, and injected so many unusual and new twists to vampirism that it was almost like readi
steen
Jan 14, 2009 steen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
So the narrator is a little bit too much of a Valley Girl, despite aristocratic French roots. So she talks obsessively about designer goods. (Which I'm not entirely opposed to, by the way.) Still, I found myself interested in the book. It puts a slightly different twist on the whole vampire lore while still being pretty funny. Honestly, the storytelling style kind of reminds me of the Jen Lancaster books --- which you must read if you haven't.

All in all, the book can be a little annoying at time
Anamarija
I spent 1/4 wishing I'd like the maim character
1/4 thinking that she should set up Francis with the w widdow
1/4 re-writing it
1/4 enjoying it
and then it ended
why are there 3 more books? seems unneccessary. not sure if i wanna read them but google wont tell me the plots :(
Kathleen Burket
May 22, 2009 Kathleen Burket rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead End Dating (DED) the kind of book to which I turn when I know that I need to laugh or need something to make me smile. DED is a lighthearted paranormal that pokes fun at fashion mavens, glam girls, and entrepreneurial business people through its over-the-top heroine, Lil Marchette. As silly as Lil can be sometimes, she stills manages to win you over with her efforts to reach out to Francis, a geeky 1,036-year old born vamp, and Esther Crutch, a robust-figured made vamp who was turned shortl ...more
Wendy Peoples Moore
The perfect summer fun read. This is one of those rare books that makes you laugh out loud. Simplistic plot, lots of silliness, and light romance. Definitely a strong start for what may just be a really great series.
If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt from the book:
...He was a vampire.
That was the first thought I had when I saw the man standing in the doorway of Dead End Dating. Okay, so that was't actually my first thought. Numero uno? My lace Victoria's Secret thong had crawled into a r
Anita
May 19, 2008 Anita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yuck! I recommend against reading this novel. It's chicklit paranormal romance, which I like, but it's poorly done. The characters are not particularly loveable, the fashion references seem extraneous, and there are enough inconsistancies in the book to think that it desparately needs a good editor. The plotline was fine, and I liked the concepts behind most of the characters, but MaryJanice Davidson this author is not.

Basic idea: Barbie doll type vampire chick sets up dating service for all ty
ZOEY
This was a really good book. Reminded me a lot of The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant.
Lil and Fred would make the cutest couple ever.
Definitely going to read more books in the series. A pleasant change from all the sexy/sultry paranormal fiction these days.

“I could run, too, but my feet hurt. It's tough being a fashion vixen.”
Gina
It's the first time I read Kimberly Raye, and it won't be the last! Her main character, Lil Marchette, is hilarious! She doesn't do anything in a simple way.

And Ty... (sigh)... I wouldn't mind meeting him, if he was real.

The rest of the cast just makes up for a really good story. The plot, as well as the characters, was funny, quirky. Definitely different from your average vampire novel. I'm definitely hooked!
Rating: 4.5 stars
Yodamom
Jan 17, 2012 Yodamom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Started Dead end Dating by Kimberly Raye got to 30% and am dropping it ! It reads like a silly copy of the Undead series by MJDaivson. (a series I enjoyed in the early books)The main character is fashion/labels/looks obsessed, she turns into a pink bat ?!? I found myself skipping paragraphs, forcing myself to turn the page, time to quit. Just a big fat DUH from me.
Amber
May 24, 2007 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
cute, vampire love story. Hey if I am going to read chick lit, it might as well be cute and sassy. A little more "pop culture" than I'd ideally like, but I will read the second in the series. Finished in a couple of hours.
Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick
Aug 15, 2009 Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pink
I couldn't finish this book, but I'm not going to give it a rating. I thought I would try chick-lit, but I just can't do it. So, I can't really say anything about the quality of this book in particular.
Virginia
It was kind of fun, although she's really going for a series so there was no romantic resolution in the end. That has prevented me from picking up any of her other books.

Aymee
Nov 06, 2007 Aymee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire and humor lovers
This was one hysterical book! I laughed and laughed! If you're a fan of Charlaine Harris or Mary-Janice Davidson, I highly recommend it!
Alisha
Mar 06, 2013 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Kind of cheesy and silly, but very funny. Reminded me of the Mary Janice Davidson "Queen Betsy" series.
Yoru
Apr 04, 2015 Yoru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bit-lit, romance
It's was quite funny ! I really like it! easy book to read and enjoy during little pause on the garden or at Café waiting for someone ^^
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book some time ago. It's a vampire story with a twist of humour. It was entertaining.
H Hardy
Jan 19, 2017 H Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Lil is a super cute vampire that IS all that. She is funny and charismatic. She opens up a matchmaking service and tries to make matches for her clients. She is a born vampire and they don't mix with made vampires, however, she has the hots for Ty, a made vampire bounty hunter. Sparks fly every time they are together. Lil is also into fashion, so if you like all of the above, you will like this book. I really did have a hard time putting it down.
Sarvh
Jan 25, 2017 Sarvh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How to say ... this book make me laugh and I liked it, the main character is really girly and also funny.
Well this is definitely not a very thorough reading nor a deep story but it's relaxing.
I recommend it for a light reading, but very enjoyable.
Cassandra
Jan 24, 2017 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Plum meets Rebecca Bloomwood in the vampire dating industry. It's the best way I can describe this book. The characters were entertaining to keep reading the rest of the series.
Cornelia Franke
Inhalt:

New York, Manhattan: Gräfin Lilliana Arabella Guinevere du Marchette, von ihren Freunden kurz Lil genannt, entstammt einer alten und respektablen Vampir-Familie. Um dem Drängen ihres Vaters zu entgehen, der sie am liebsten als Mitarbeiterin in seiner erfolgreichen Copyshop-Kette sehen möchte, beschließt Lil eine Dating-Agentur zu gründen. Doch ihre Klienten sind keine gewöhnlichen Sterblichen, sondern einsame Vampire, liebestolle Werwölfe und andere übernatürliche Wesen. Da kommt eines Ta
Mimis Bookworld
Jules und ich haben gerade so einen kleinen SuB-Destroyer-Plan am laufen, da ich immer Bücher kaufe und in Mengen...
Jedenfalls lost sie mir 5 Bücher aus, die ich lesen muss und dann darf ich erst wieder eines kaufen. Und tadaaaa das hier war eines davon. Und da ich mich ja so einigermaßen an Abmachungen halte, war ich ganz brav und habe es am Wochenende gelesen.

Das Cover konnte mich mal so gar nicht für sich gewinnen. Es erinnert mich auch ein wenig an die Betsy-Taylor-Reihe. Aber gut, man soll
Brandy
Jan 08, 2017 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Really cute, fast read. I'm not a huge fan of the ditzy, in-love-with-designer-clothes thing Lil has going on, but the story line was good and it was engaging enough to make me forget it.
Robin
Sep 10, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, that was enjoyable for the most part. The author puts her own spin on vamp mythology, with two classses of vamps, born vamps and made vamps, who do not intermarry. Born vamps can have children with their eternal mate, and when choosing a mate they don't consider love or feelings. A female looks for a mate with a high fertility rating, and a male looks for a mate with a high OQ - orgasm quotient - as the more orgasms she can have in a single session of love making, the more eggs she ...more
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
I didn't like this series.

Lil is annoying- she doesn't seem to actually do anything to sort her problem, in multiple books she's got a huge problem looming and instead of facing it straight on she messes about and does something that kind-of-might-possibly-help-a-bit for most of the book and then in the last 10% something will happen (usually not helped by her efforts) and the problem will be magically sorted- and the thing she's been doing for most the book is a pointless waste of time. Her de
Megan Scott
I was a tad bit worried going into this book, what with the heroine seeming like a cross between Lily Munster and a Valley Girl just from the summary on the back. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find I actually took to Lil Marchette from the very first page. She seemed sassy from the get-go, and so unlike your typical lady vamp. I mean, sure, she can seem shallow, conceited, and materialistic at times (what did I say, Valley Girl), but when it comes down to it, she has her priorities stra ...more
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

BITING IS SO LAST SEASON.

A vivacious vampire with a flair for accessorizing, Lil Marchette is unlike most of her kind. She prefers lively shades of pink to dismal black (soo not her color), plus she’s a hopeless romantic. In need of a steady paycheck to support a compulsive cosmetics habit, Lil starts Dead End Dating (DED), a Manhattan-based matchmaking service that helps smart, sophisticated singles like herself find eternity mates–and may even help her stake a claim to her very own Count Right
Jody
Oct 16, 2011 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, vampire
Anica
Jul 07, 2009 Anica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy, this book started really promising...and went down the drain really quick. *sigh*

Maybe it was predictable since I am not a huge fan of woman who only think of shoes, brands, clothes, brands, how awesome they look, brands...oh and have I mentioned brands?
Seriously, did this author get money for mentioning every possible fashion designer, make up label, shoe designer and what not? I believe so.

Well, I could have deal with it if at least the story was halfway decent, but it was NOT. As I me
  • Real Vampires Have Curves (Glory St. Clair, #1)
  • High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1)
  • Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire (Broken Heart #2)
  • Bitten & Smitten (Immortality Bites, #1)
  • Fangs for the Memories (Young Brothers, #1)
  • Tall, Dark  &  Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1)
  • Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)
  • La Vida Vampire (Oldest City Vampire, #1)
  • Date Me, Baby, One More Time (Immortally Sexy, #1)
  • 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Hex #1)
I've always been an incurable romantic. While I enjoy reading all types of fiction, my favorites, the books that touch my soul, are romance novels. From sexy to thrilling, sweet to humorous, I like them all. But what I really love is writing romance--the hotter the better!

I started my first novel back in high school and have been writing ever since. To date, I've published over thirty novels, one
More about Kimberly Raye...

Dead End Dating (7 books)
  • Dead and Dateless (Dead End Dating, #2)
  • Your Coffin or Mine? (Dead End Dating #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • Just One Bite (Dead End Dating #4)
  • Sucker for Love (Dead End Dating #5)
  • Here Comes the Vampire (Dead End Dating, #6)

“While I had no intention of hooking up with him, I still wanted him to want to hook up with me.
It was the principle of the thing, after all.”
6 likes