Matters of Mortology
read book

Matters of Mortology

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  14 reviews
[Softcover Edition] Alone in a crumbling manor, an aging undertaker recounts a horrifying episode from the early days of his career. When an unspeakable monster trespasses the border between life and death, the undertaker finds himself in a struggle to save the village he has sworn to serve - even if it means sacrificing his own family and faith in the process.
Paperback, First Paperback, 105 pages
Published December 4th 2009 by Aurohn Press (first published October 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Matters of Mortology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matters of Mortology

Katy
Aug 28, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love horror or beautifully written books
Recommended to Katy by: Coral Russell
Book Info: Genre: Horror
Reading Level: Adult

My Thoughts: First of all, thanks to Coral Russell, who runs the blog Alchemy of Scrawl, for the giveaway in which I won this fascinating book; and thanks to the author for providing a signed copy of his book for this giveaway. If there is one thing I love to collect, it is signed copies of books!

This book is very strange. As I read the book, I wondered where it was supposed to be set – my final thought on that matter is that while the world is very s...more
Craig
This was a refreshing read. Camp's storytelling is at times reminiscent of the great macabre masters such as Poe, creating a mythology that is both philosophically engaging and original. This book is a poetic outlier, and transcends many of the trite conventions found in so many of its contemporary monster or horror genre counterparts with deeper themes including explorations of love, faith, and alienation.
Randolph Carter
Great book by an author that should be more widely known and more than self-published.
Dark
Beautifully written and a wonderful tale of death and life.
Liz
I received my copy of this through the Goodreads giveaway.

*spoiler warning!*

This was an interesting read, and I very much appreciated the writing style, macabre without being overly so, and nicely descriptive without getting flowery, though it did seem to veer in that direction sometimes.

The first few chapters consisted of flashbacks and descriptions, loosely related, that served as a set-up for the background and mood, and honestly, I still would have liked the book if had simply consisted of...more
Rae M.
I got this through goodreads giveaways, thanks!

There are well rounded and fascinating characters contained in the pages of this novella. The main character is in seclusion from all women of "bearing-age" due to the fact he's the caretaker of the village dead, and is thought to be able to corrupt them.

It all starts going down hill when Mason's dog turns up dead in the cemetery, and a foreigner's grave is robbed. His sister who he hasn't seen in over ten years and makes his meals falls in love wit...more
Ashley  Chamberlain
I received Matters of Mortology from a goodreads giveaway. Its about a undertaker who has to struggle to save his village from a creepy dark undead monster. Nice short story, very interesting and written very well, reminds me of an Edgar Allan Poe novel. Filled with a few unsuspecting twists and well developed characters who actually make you concerned for their situation, which is a hard thing to do in a novel with less then 100 pages. The only thing im confused about is why more people are not...more
Dan Wilson
An excellent novella, but I have to admit I wanted more. Once the plot really kicked in, it seemed to rush to the ending. Camp is a skilled writer and I wanted to spend more time with this world.
BigJohn
Jan 16, 2012 BigJohn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to BigJohn by: JP Harvey
Shelves: audio-books
Wow, what a great story. It takes a special talent to write in a formal style of bygone days. Though the specific timeframe isn't mentioned, it's clear that the story takes place in a gentler age. T. M. Camp's writing style is refreshingly quaint, and his narration of the book is perfect.

This book came recommended and I was able to fit it in while on a small break from a much bigger book. It was a great surprise, and I'm looking forward to reading more of Camp's work.
JP Harvey
This is an incredible story told incredibly well. TM Camp presents us a very fresh, believable and humble account of a very old and traditional fiend. The audio version is definitely worth listening to. Mr. Camp does this as a self-read. It's a quality recording, very well edited, and he has the perfect voice to accompany the story. Definitely take the time to give it a read and listen.
Bobby
I have had this book for quite awhile and now in retrospect perhaps I was savoring it. In the style of H.P. Lovecraft this is a well written distressing tale. Wonderful use of the vernacular and good period vocabulary.
Britty
I absolutely adored this story. It's a little strange..a bit eerie. But ultimately there's a beautiful undertone. For someone like me,who sees beauty in what some consider strange or obscure,this was a delightful read.
Megan
Pretty decent little vampire novella. Wish it was a little more clear about when exactly it's taking place, though.
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
John Baker sr.
John Baker sr. marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2012
Shawn Fairweather
Shawn Fairweather marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2012
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012
Grampy
Grampy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
As a child, T.M. Camp spent most of his time in a dreamworld. These days, he spends most of his time trying to get other people to join him there.

He is the author of the novels "Assam & Darjeeling", "Matters of Mortology", "The Cradle", and the forthcoming "The Red Boy".

T.M. lives in Michigan with his excellent, lovely wife and an indeterminate number of cats and children of variable age and i...more
More about T.M. Camp...