Bipolar Kids: Helping Your Child Find Calm in the Mood Storm

Bipolar Kids: Helping Your Child Find Calm in the Mood Storm

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Once considered an adult illness, bipolar disorder (manic depression) is one of the fastest growing categories in child psychiatry since ADHD, touching the lives of an estimated one million children. But often it goes misdiagnosed, and children can be prescribed medication that only worsens their condition. Parents are desperate for someone to guide the way through this di...more
Published February 26th 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bipolar Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bipolar Kids

Angie Haden
Jan 27, 2011 Angie Haden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of bipolar children
One of the best bipolar books I have read so far. It described so many things that my son has experienced or we deal with daily, that I never tied to the bipolar. It easily explained things with a bit of psychiatry and reasoning, but in a way that is easy to understand without the medical mumbo jumbo. I would definitely recommend to any parent of a bipolar child.

I also loved the section at the back that broke down the most common medicines and their pros and cons. Very helpful!
Audra
Decent... I like The Bipolar Child better overall, but this book did have some great suggestions on how to help children, as well as a nice focus on all the other things that can come along with bipolar disorder (e.g., an inability to shift set, sensory sensitivities, etc.) I felt this book also did a great job at showing hope, even as they emphasize that stability is a temporary state, by focusing on strategies families found and ways to be successful.
Joy
Very focused on the medical side of things. I liked how this book talked about the difference between the presentation of bipolar in children and adults, but was frustrated by the continual discussion of medication and therapies. I would have liked to have seen more about coping skills for other family members, accommodations in the classroom, and mood-awareness-building for the children themselves.
Julie
An extraordinarily helpful book with clear explanations and straight talk. I highly recommend this to anyone whose child is newly diagnosed. Serves as a wonderful reminder that not every child with bipolar experiences the same symptoms, but that treatment IS possible.

Martha Treder
This book has some really great information for families with kids who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Very informative and I would recommend reading it. Answers some really important concerns.
Denise
Very enlightening about the illness of being bipolar. Still not so sure if I could identify a person with this, however, the book has helped me to define the illness.
Gina
Jul 21, 2007 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a bipolar child!!
Shelves: bipolar
Excellent book! Gave me some great insights into my son's behavior and helped me to FINALLY get him a diagnosis that makes sense.
Kate
Explained a lot! Glad I picked up this book!
Angela
Angela added it
Jul 24, 2014
Nancy K
Nancy K marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Feb 13, 2014
Wendy Lukert
Wendy Lukert marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Sharona
Sharona marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
Cassie
Cassie is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2013
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Rain
Rain marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Candise Jackson
Candise Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 04, 2012
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Secrets in the Suitcase: Stories My Mother Never Told Me When Acting Out Isn't Acting