Start by marking “The Continual Condition: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Continual Condition: Poems

The Continual Condition: Poems

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A volume of never-before-collected poems from America’s most imitated and influential poet

In the literary pantheon, Charles Bukowski remains a counterculture icon. A hard-drinking wild man of literature, a stubborn outsider to the poetry world, he has struck a chord with generations of readers, writing raw, tough poetry about booze, work, and women that speaks to his fans
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about The Continual Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Continual Condition

Caris
Today is the last day of the world. My Internet just got turned back on and birds are singing outside my window. The kid’s asleep, so I’ve finally got some quiet. I’m expecting the flames to hit the Earth at any moment. I’ve taken my number. I’m waiting my turn.

Last night, we celebrated. My wife and I sat on the couch and watched a Bukowski reading from 1970. It seemed like a good way to go out. The old bastard was in good spirits. And even if the tape faded in and out and the sound wasn’t exact
Kelly Thompson
Apr 04, 2011 Kelly Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry readers, Bukowski fans, new readers of his work
Recommended to Kelly by: Sara Lundquist
Bukowski’s newest collection is one that dwells in the mind of an aging man, even though the poems span his career. While the bitter genius that lends itself to the poet’s reputation is still very much present in The Continual Condition, as a set of poems, it also speaks to Bukowski’s ability to provide deep philosophical musing in just a few words — whether about his own particular bad habits, or of those around him. The longer poems, such as “This Flag Not Fondly Waving,” and the reflective an ...more
Kacey
Actual rating more like 3.5 stars. Good of course but not as impressed as I was with his other works.

"contentment between agonies is the elixir of existence."
Sydney Scott
This book opened up the poetry world to me. I've never been interested in it, just because of the different ways you can interpret it. Then after reading if I had a conversation with someone about it and they have a different view, I feel cheated and wrong.

But upon reading this, I felt like that was okay. The way these poems and stories made me feel, it didn't matter anyone else's opinion.
Carlos Pelay
This also is one of my favorite lines: “3-year-olds will have computers/and everybody will know everything/about everybody else/long before they meet them/and so they won’t want to meet them” (“This Flag Not Fondly Waving”).

This line seems prescient - I was trying to track down when this particular poem was written but wasn't successful. [this line also resonated because at the same time I was also reading "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forster (written in 1903?) - a dystopian tale where everyone l
Jon Cone
This isn't great Bukowski, but even mediocre Bukowski is worth looking at and he continues, even in death, to give substantial pleasures to those readers who are open to his brand of unadorned, plainspoken poetry. (Is it even poetry? Who cares.) If you are new to Bukowski or if you find yourself within the turmoil of an early Bukowski infatuation, you should skip this book for now: there are many other collections, especially from the early 70s, that provide the reader greater examples of Bukows ...more
Tuck
2.5 but i liked this one for its true-to-life
the strange morning

it had never happened before and one doesn’t
know why such things
happen.

it was about 11 a.m. and I had stepped
outside the bar for some air.
Danny walked up and I started talking
to Danny.
then Harry walked up and joined us.

then two other men started talking
to each other a few feet away.

“let’s go back for a drink,” I said to
Danny and Harry.

“no, it’s nice out here,: said Danny,
“let’s gab a while.”

so we did.

then I noticed some other men
sta
Anas Almansuri
Another great collection, Bukowski keeps blowing my mind over and over again.
Danny Daley
My relationship with Bukowski's writing is a strange one. On the one hand, I am continuously struck by how, despite his massive popularity, his writing is really quite dry and lifeless. And on the other hand, I constantly feel drawn to read more of it.

The poems themselves are hardly poetry, but for the fact that they so look like poetry. In fact, they look almost too much like poetry, as though Bukowski was looking to constantly exaggerate the form. But the language is as anti-poetic as it gets.
James Goertel
I had not read Bukowski in some time after reading him intensively for years - he is a Rosetta Stone for me in terms of my introduction to poetry. He showed me not what poetry was, but what it could be. This collection stands up with the best of what I have read by Charles Henry Bukowski. Most striking are the poems scattered here and there which reference his mortality. "Moving Toward Age 73" and "Bayonets in Candlelight" are stunners.
Cathleen
I knew Bukowski was a macho asshole when I bought this collection. I bought and read it anyway. There are some gems here, though, mostly the poems dealing with a mortal's grudging acceptance of the ticking of the clock and his regrets and triumphs in the face of that. I wonder if he'd cringe at some of the poems published here, which perhaps aren't ones he would have wanted public. Definitely a mixed bag.
ej cullen
Bukowski has what only the best writers have: Voice. What he's missing is range and felicity, but it goes to show that, in literature, a true and unique Voice keeps us reading and ultimately trumps all else.
Kent Winward
"all my words ... do they create
laughter through the flame?"

For Bukowski, the answer is always yes.

Reuben
I've never been a fan of poetry, but damn. I might be now.
Andy
It's Buk. Though many of the themes are old, good old Bukowski has a way with words. Some of his poems were written as he is an old man looking back. As always, even his self-reflection does not escape his bittersweet approach. His exuberance of the mundane, and his castration of sacred cows always are insightful. What can you say... its Buk. Certainly a delight to read though the concluding poems seem laden with an unresolved lament. Unlike the earlier Bukowski. Still... worth the read!
Víctor Blanco
Me ha gustado como iniciación al poeta. Es curioso que mucha gente me dice que descubrió a Bukowski como adolescente; yo me alegro de habérmelo encontrado siendo un poco más mayor, creo que me ayuda a comprender algunos de sus pasajes.
Moe Weimer
"I never consider a man insane when he disagrees or acts contrary to the few things I believe have value. I then only consider him to be a dull and dumb fellow more to be avoided than to be attacked."
Esthër
Me quedo con este poema o fragmento de poema. Bukowski tenía y tiene más razón que un santo:

"hoy todo son ordenadores y más ordenadores
y pronto todo el mundo tendrá uno,
los niños de tres años tendrán ordenadores
y todo el mundo conocerá todo
lo relacionado con los demás
mucho antes de que lleguen a conocerse
y por eso nadie querrá conocerse.
nadie querrá conocer a nadie
nunca jamás
y todos serán
unos solitarios
como lo soy yo hoy"

Cierto es que este libro baja un poco de nivel e ironía. Aún así la esencia
Shinayde Meyerson
Bukowski's attention to the simplicity of a complex subject is a motif in all his poetry, but especially so in the anthology of 'The Continual Condition' which even as a title says a lot about himself and his selfish writing as an art form. This was the first I had ever read of Bukowski and since then I have fallen thoroughly in love with his style. His words are relentless, raw, and seemingly limitless- each of them, written filthily on a single line, illuminates his ceaseless struggle between ...more
Amanda
For a man who died in 1994 at the age of 73, Bukowski is still a prolific writer. Released in 2009, The Continual Condition is the newest book containing never before published poems.

Not being a poet, my gauge of how well I like a poetry book is based on how many pages I dogear to go back to and re-read. While I did really like the majority of poems here, I didn't dogear to many. Although it might just be my mood because I seemingly just picked the darkest poems as my favorites.

This Kind of Fire
Pollopicu
Although not one of his best works, it was still comforting reading work created by Bukowksi.
Larissa
Sad guy- good poems, especially "let's have some fun"
Joshua Baize
Crude and pointless for the most part.
Howard
Selected by John Martin at Black Sparrow Press this collection from 2009 seems to be the most recent posthumous collection of Bukowski. I just love this guy, especially his poetry. I'm always telling people to read his poetry not just his prose. Unpretentious, full of reflection, insight, joy and sadness. Elegant, short pieces which communicate so much. I'd probably give 5 stars to any book of his poetry I guess, but I do think this a particularly joyous collection. 10 quid for an hour's reading ...more
Anthony R CG
Bukowski nunca decepciona!
Mike
i miss this old man very much.
Chris
Wow....Charles Bukowski. Nothing can be more whimsical and serious. Nobody can talk about booze and hookers better than Bukowski. Being one of his first major works I've read completely, I am very impressed. His contemporary tone lets this all flow like water and nothing can stop tho barrage of wordplay, wit and whim. A book of poetry worth remembering and recommending for the rest of my life.
BTW my personal favorite is as Buddha smiles
Michael
Segundo libro de poesia de Bukowski que leo. El primero me parecio (Como on in!) mejor. Sera que su estilo ya no es novedad, o que estos poemas fueron unos que el no hubiera publicado (fueron publicados despues de su muerte). Sus temas, recurrentes: alcohol, sexo, soledad. No se si una imagen 100% real de el, o una que el, conscientemente, creo. En todo caso, poesia facil de leer
  • Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski
  • The Last Time as We Are
  • The Complete Poems
  • Kids Pick The Funniest Poems: Poems That Make Kids Laugh
  • Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
Post Office Ham on Rye Women Factotum Love is a Dog from Hell

“when I was a boy I used to dream of becoming
the village idiot.
I used to lie in bed and imagine myself the
happy idiot
able to get food easily
...and easy sympathy,
a planned confusion of not too much love or effort.

some would claim that I have succeeded.”
31 likes
“now it’s computers and more computers
and soon everybody will have one,
3-year-olds will have computers
and everybody will know everything
about everybody else
long before they meet them.
nobody will want to meet anybody
else ever again