Start by marking “Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)” as Want to Read:
Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)

Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy #13)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,811 ratings  ·  68 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Feline fanciers and mystery mavens alike will be glad to hear that bestselling author Rita Mae Brown has teamed up with her feline coauthor, Sneaky Pie, for another cunningly plotted, pet-assisted investigation. In this 13th Mrs. Murphy Mystery, miracles and malice are entwined with local legend.

Under a lot of stress this Thanksgiving, Mary Min
Published January 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Eyewitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Eyewitness

This is the transition book between Harry's days as postmistress and the next phase in which she remarries Fair. The mystery seems to take a backseat here to the personal relationships of the characters. I loved the line, "In an ideal world you fall in love with the person, not the wrapping paper." I tried reading one of the later books and couldn't get through it. The tone seems different and less enjoyable to me so this book becomes the last in the series for me.
I kept waiting for the mystery and sleuthing to begin....instead it was a lot of religion and angst about relationships. Then there was the "big reveal" that BoomBoom is gay -- and everything thinks it's great and the women all now think their marriages are safe because the town siren comes out as gay. Seriously? The cats were, as usual, entertaining.
The blurb sounded interesting (kinda like 'Ms Marple wih cats') but unfortunately the book was boring and predictable. I knew immediately the murderer had to be Brother Mark, and was hoping for some genius plot twist that would reveal it was NOT him after all... in vain.
Also, too much talk about cars, and why would animals care about humans' religion, fashion or marriages?
Also, people who wear chinchilla furs and go fox hunting shouldn't call themselves 'animal lover'...
My first Rita Mae Brown book with talking animals as well as humans. What seems like a fluffy mystery to read turned out to have lots of religious, philosophical and religious opinings which I found intrusive. I won't become one of Ms. Brown's faithful readers.
Great story! Harry's furry kids deserve all of the credit for solving this mystery!

Ironically, my furry kid kept nugding me during a mishap of the critters. I asked him, "Do you really know what I'm reading, and you wanted to be a part of it too?"

In this latest entry in the Sneaky Pie Brown mystery series, many of the residents of Crozet, Virginia are at a crossroads in life. Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen has quit her job as postmistress because her two cats - Mrs. Murphy and Pewter - and her dog, Tee Tucker, are no longer allowed there. As she tries to decide what to do next, Fair, her ex-husband, proposes for what he says will be the last time. Harry's best friend Susan, has problems of her own, including a secret she has kept buried fo ...more
I'm ashamed to even admit that I read this book as an adult, so you can imagine I'm even more ashamed to admit that now that I've finished it I actually miss the characters.

The last I read Rita Mae Brown was some 15 years ago. She likes making her pets real characters that have conversations with each other, although the humans can't understand these conversations. As someone who is gaga for my pets (seriously, I cook all my dog's food and let her sleep under the blankets in my bed), the talkin
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great li
Paul Lunger
What do a statue of the Virgin Mary crying blood tears, a monastery & murder have in common? Quite a bit in this installment in the Mrs. Murphy mystery series. In "Cat's Eyewitness", we visit the monastery at Mt Carmel where the statute of Blessed Virgin Mary begins to cry tears of blood. When a monk is found dead worshiping the image at first all seems normal, but when a local reporter also turns up dead then things get interesting. Brown actually does a better than normal job with trying t ...more
Kelley Ross
Unlike the other novels in this series, I feel like Cat's Eyewitness was actually a decent murder story. So for once, I wasn't reading just because I like the idea of talking cats. (Well, that was part of it...)

Call me judgmental, but I was expecting the religious subject matter to be too heavy-handed. Fortunately Brown knows how to write a mystery involving monks while sitting on the fence between pious and skeptical. I think Brown knows her characters so well that when I do read one of them qu
Honestly, the fact that an author would list her cat as a co-writer kind of appalls me, as much as I love cats (Sneaky Pie is a cat, in case you didn’t know), so when I went for another car listening book, this time for the ride down to my parents’ in Virginia, I was surprised to pick this one up. But it’s set near where my parents live, so . . .
Turns out that I really enjoyed it. The mystery isn’t that galling, although it’s well-written, but again, the characters are great. . . and I should ha
Normally I love Mrs. Murphy adventures, but I felt this one was more a political statement than a Mrs. Murphy adventures. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it felt there was some serious author's bias in the book, and at time, the author's agenda was being pounded into the reader. Some of the pounding felt out of character for the characters, and some of it just felt that the author needed to voice her opinions and this was the way to do it.

I'm not giving up on Mrs. Murphy because I love t
While visiting the grounds of the Mt. Carmel, Mary Minor "Harry" Harristeen notices the statue of the Virgin Mary is crying tears of blood. This is only the beginning of strange occurances on the property.

Once the word gets out, large numbers of town residents with the news cameras in the lead, trudge up the mountain to witness this strange event. When a monk is found dead at the foot of the statue, it is at first written off as death by natural causes. After the news reporter who covered the s
In all fairness I'm updating my list in 2014 but read this in 2009. I made a note on my hand-written list, "didn't finish, didn't like". From that long ago, I can't remember why!
Jeannine Stewart
I enjoy the Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries, all of the characters and the setting in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains in the charming town of Crozet. I do get a little tired of Harry's constant angst but I put up with it.
Another good, fast mystery. The characters continue to grow and I'm interested to see what trouble they'll get into next.
This one had to do with a religious scam. It was ok, especially if you've decided you like this series.
I read this book several years ago, so the review I'm writing pertains more to the whole series (or at least the ones I've read) rather than this specific installment. Rita Mae Brown is one of my favorite mystery authors. The way she incorporates the protagonist's animal friends is simply delightful, especially because I'm an animal lover. Also, the way her stories develop are almost always novel and gripping. Finally, her characters are thoroughly lovable and though they might fit certain myste ...more
Phyllis Gauker
I always enjoy the stories about Harry and the cats and dog, her friends, and Virginia horse country. Maybe it's because I grew up in Virginia.
Another interesting ride with kitty mysteries. Intriguing questions on faith.
Harry, Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter are at it again. Along with Susan for human company, the group is out to solve another murder in Crozet County.
Added to this particular mystery is the life decisions Harry has to deal with, giving her more than just a murder to solve.
I enjoy this series and the personalities of the characters. Also the images of Crozet and its residents. Reading Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie's books, takes me on a vacation without leaving the comfort of my own home.
Pearl Drolet
This is another great book in the Mrs. Murphy mystery series. Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown never disappoint. It is a cozy, but not a lightweight. The characters have depth and the plot development is interesting. Mary Minor Hairsteen is not your typical ditzy heroine who sticks her nose in where it doesn't belong. She is a well-fleshed-out character who gets involved because it makes sense, and her animals are an integral part of her life and the mystery.
Nov 15, 2007 George rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Another "Harry" Haristeen and her two cats and Welsh corgi mystery set in rural Crozet, Virginia. With the help of her pets, Harry manages to unravel another mystery this time involving murders relating to a Catholic monastery and tears coming from a statue of the Virgin Mary there. Story also moves forward relationships and lives of the various recurring characters in the series.

A pleasant read with some humor, colorful characters, and a good mystery.
Sean Kennedy
Although it's interesting that things are changing in Crozet, what with Harry leaving the post office, Boom Boom starting a lesbian affair, and Blair selling his farm, this isn't one of the better Mrs Murphy mysteries. In fact, a certain preachiness seems to be setting in, especially in regards to religion. I guess seeing the book deals with miracles of faith that's to be expected, but I just hope the next entry in the series is a little better.
This author was recommended to me as "a great mystery writer". I was totally disappointed and won't read another one. Presumably the characters are thinly disguised characters from the real town that the author uses to lecture the reader about religion, sexuality and how nice it is to be wealthy. Not a believable story line.

I'm glad I borrowed this from the library and didn't actually pay for it!!
One of the things I love about these books is the thing many people hate - the talking animals who know more than the humans. Having 4 cats myself, or should I say '4 cats' who own me, I have no problem believing they speak to each other other than snarling. I love the critters more than the human characters. Not a mysterious mystery, but I still enjoy them all tremedously.
so far this is stupid, I love my pets and do talk to them but the books assumes they are talking? Talking pets and silly gossipy humans was just too much. Lots of silly stereotypes so I decided it was a waste of time and deleted it from my MP3 player. When I went to review it on they let me return it for credit since I didn't like it.
Maybe I've read too many cat mysteries lately. This one was a bit disappointing, but then I didn't like it when Harry left the post office. The romances started pushing aside the mystery in this one, at any rate. Ok, but not as much fun as the earlier ones. Or maybe I just don't like change!
OK, I think I've had enough of these thin, dirivative cutsy-animal talking Sneaky Pie Brown books. Rita Mae Brown seems now just to be churning out Lillian Jackson Braun-level mush to keep her critters on Afton Mountain in feed. What's worse is that she can be--and has been--a brilliant writer.
Again a nice story and some revelations I never thought of.
It shows again, that you don't need a massacre to make a good story.
I love the dialogs of the animals although they are sometimes a bit childish. This edition has some nice drawings which make the story much more adorable...
  • The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who... #22)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)