Start by marking “Story of General Dann and Mara's Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog” as Want to Read:
Story of General Dann and Mara's Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog

Story of General Dann and Mara's Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog (Mara and Dann)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Guidato dalla sua inesauribile sete di avventure, il giovane Dann decide di intraprendere il cammino verso le Montagne di Ghiaccio che delimitano il confine meridionale di Yerrup, a nord di Yfrik; giunto in cima a una scogliera, contempla l’ineffabile, remoto candore del paesaggio naturale, e sfida gli elementi. Nel suo destino c’è un laborioso percorso di conoscenza, dura ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Story of General Dann and Mara's Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog

Patricia
This book takes place with Maura and Dann grown up. Maura dies (off camera) in the first 10 pages. Dann is General Dann and he lives in the Centre where many refugees come, fleeing wars and drought. Griot, his friend, manages everything while Dann wanders off on a journey. When he wanders back, Griot has a whole army ready for General Dann to command. Does Dann do that? No he mopes about.

Do you ever read a book and it just goes on and on and you wait for the big thing to happen and you realize
Coquille Fleur
Mara and Dann is my favorite book of all time. I just re-read it and had to follow it up with another read of this book, its sequel. It was hard to see Mara and Dann end, so I love this book for being there to continue the journey. The beginning is awesome, aside from Mara's death, which is so hard since she's one of my all time favorite literary characters. Dann reaches the edge of Yerrup as the ice falls away in massive sheets, yearning to see what lies beneath. Seeing the world through his ey ...more
Chris
The frequent description “future fable” just exactly describes this wonderful novel, a richly detailed tapestry of lives and themes and meditations on the world as it might well become. The tale of the young man Dann, who had experienced and accomplished so much in a preceding novel, is both deeply sympathetic and sad, and this reader, any reader in fact, does not need to have read the prequel to make connections with his character.

The story is set some millennia on from now, at a time when a th
Adam
I honestly picked this off of the library's "new" shelf because of its title. What the heck is a "snow dog"? Reading the descriptives in the book flap, I found it even more interesting, with promises of survival and new civilization rising from the ashes of our contemporary society, set far into the future. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, and as it turns out, Doris Lessing writes about it (and just about anything else she tries her hand at) better than most.

To my detriment, I hadn't read an
Cat
This is one of those books I finished reading because I was hoping that it would be worth it in the end.

It wasn't.

I LOVED Mara and Dann, and was looking forward to continuing their story, but this book just doesn't come close to Mara and Dann. It's sorta meandering, infused in futility, and emotionally flat where it's not whiny. When it ended abruptly without resolution (which I think was probably the point but that doesn't make it good to read), I wanted to throw the book across the room.

Despit
Kelly
Where Mara and Dann is more concerned with survival in a post-second-Ice-Age world, this sequel focuses on the preservation of information --what little of it remains-- against losing odds.

Lessing's stripped-down writing style leaves me wanting more sometimes in this novel (which makes it a slightly-less-great read than its predecessor), but by the book's end I wondered if it was meant to mimic Dann's shy attempts at storytelling.

Roberto
I have found again the post-apocalyptic world, nearing the end of the next ice age. Dann suffers from the Ulysses syndrome and can not stop at the farm with her sister and her new companions. We discover that he founded a small (but not so small for that world) army, but he leaves it in the hands of his lieutenant to venture into what remains of the Mediterranean Sea, drained by glaciers. Wandering the wastelands of a world beyond recognition, he meets new people.
The second part of the novel see
Mikael Kuoppala
A sequel to “Mara and Dann: An Adventure,” “Story of General Dann and Mara’s Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog: A Novel” begins basically where its predecessor left us, at the dawn of a slowly unifying culture in a far-future Africa virtually destroyed by climate change.

I felt that “Mara and Dann,” while a good read, was a bit too long and unfocused, too “adventurous” as opposed to analytical and somewhat lacking in psychological depth. This sequel rectifies all that: it’s compact, streamlined, d
Mel
This book felt more like a long epilogue than a sequel. It was only about a quarter or at most a third the length of the original book and had a much smaller scope, but nonetheless I enjoyed it almost more than the first book. The book focused on Dann, and the first half of the book was from his perspective. It was a lovely description of his visit to the melting ice caps and life with the island people. He came across as much more emotional when the story was from his own perspective and I thin ...more
Deb
I read this book in one day. It is not a page turner, but has some gentle redeeming qualities. The picture is painted of a future world after an ice age and as the ice melts to refill the seas. The hero is a wanderer who can never accept his position as leader of his people. The most interesting character is the boy soldier who grows up to idolise him and want great things of him. In the end the boy soldier, Griot, creates a better world for them all, but could not do it without Dann the hero as ...more
Justin Howe
I think it’d be impossible to write a sequel to a book like Mara and Dann, at least one as good, and I don’t think this is as good as Mara and Dann, but I still think it’s a great book despite a lot of the comments in the one and two star reviews below. In fact I think it’s a great book because of those very things people are complaining about.

Yes, Mara dies off stage early on. Yes, Dann mopes for much of the book, doing nothing except wallowing in self-pity. So did Achilles. These aren’t probl
Rachel
Well I started this book last night and found myself in another post-apocalyptic world. After reading The Road, The World Without Us, and several Terry Brooks Books I was wanting to take a break.. I was expecting something closer to the last Doris Lessing Book I read which was The Summer Before the Dark. I guess I can't escape it.. this book seems to be about a world several generations after global warming has hit in a big way. None the less I am hooked and enjoying the world of General Dann an ...more
Gabi
Cheryl
This is the second book in a very interesting series about a brother and sister in a post-apocalyptic world, thousands of years after global warming has caused Africa to be the only inhabitable continent. [return][return]This book begins with Dann and Mara choosing a place to settle down, and concentrates upon their relationships and struggle to build a better future with (and for) their friends and family. [return][return]As with the previous book, the characters are complex and interesting. Th ...more
Charles
OK, I didn't actually read this book. I read its predecessor, Mara and Dan, which was a pretty good novel(three stars, as it were). I picked up this sequal the other day with the intention of reading it. However, after Dan (an overall tough nut who, in the first novel, survived a trek from one end of Africa to the other, facing all manner of danger, denial, and degradation) wept for the fifth time in as many pages and "understood" how a woman's lactating breast was painful to her, I threw the bo ...more
Nick
Mara and Dann was one of the few english books I had while I was living in Japan. I reread it several times and would probably give it five stars. When I saw there was a sequel, I snatched it up at the library. I read it quickly, but without much joy. Things happen, but it was all kind of...marshy...in that they didn't have a lot of substance and kind of passed back into the book without being memorable. I wish I could give this book more stars, but I was sad at how superficial it was.
Nick
This is the third book that I've read from Doris Lessing, and the least demanding from my point of view. This is one novel that (I am guessing) continues adventures from another book (about Dann and his sister, Mara) - an original adventure that I haven't read myself. I believe that this story was written for the child in us: It has many observations and detailed explanations that lack in Love, again, for instance. I personally liked it (it's very easy to read).
Brian
So this is the first Doris Lessing book I've read and I can safely say that if you haven't read any Lessing, don't, and i mean DON'T, make this your introductory book into her works. The Washington Post said it best with this short line:"...its title outweighs its contents". That is so true! I do love the title; I've read it hundreds of times. I should have stopped there. I would have been satisfied...
Tricia
There is a book I should have read before this, so I started a little less informed than I would have liked. A distopia like Atwood's...a future world where we have lost much of our technology and learning. This writing felt a little spare and at times, wooden. I had a difficult time really connecting to the protagonist. Perhaps not the best book for my first read of Doris Lessing.
Foxthyme
I know someone who's read the first book and loved both it and this one. Dropping in on this second one without knowing the characters and settings was difficult. I also found the writing style was one I didn't mesh with well. Too bad.
Monica
This book/fable/adventure tale is amazing! You must read the equally wonderful Mara and Dann first. I loved both of these books. I found the futuristic layered society quite timely. Both of these books stay with you.
Coral
The overall tone of the novel was too whiny, many of the descriptive passages were exceptionally repetitive, and Dann has been reduced to a mopey shell of a person. Although it was a quick read, it felt like it took forever.
Anggia
A great, imaginary, and genius story in only a chapter.

it's a story about a time when ice melted and flooded lands. Cities were drowned with their civilization, culture and knowledge.

Suzanne Auckerman
I read the first one when it came out. Second book, in a futuristic series: I think you are to get a deep meaning from this, but I don't.
Jann
Not nearly as interesting nor well crafted as Mara and Dann. But if you read the first one, you will want the closure of this book.
Sep 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Started to read this and realized that this was a sequel to Mara and Dann. Put it down to read after reading Mara and Dann.
Rob & Liz
A book about what we may be faced with in the future. I found that the story petered out at the end.

Liz
Martha
Completely bizarre book. Make sure you read Mara and Dann first.
Carmen
Una historia de ciencia ficción maravillosa.
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Weather of the Future
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • Into the Storm: Violent Tornadoes, Killer Hurricanes, and Death-Defying Adventures in Extreme Weather
  • Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Noise
  • Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change
  • A Throne of Bones (Arts of Dark and Light, #1)
  • A Vintage From Atlantis (Collected Fantasies, #3)
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • Fire on the Mountain
  • Cloud and Ashes: Three Winter's Tales
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
Both of her parents were British: her father, who had been crippled in World War I, was a clerk in the Imperial Bank of Persia; her mother had been a nurse. In 1925, lured by the promise of getting rich through maize farming, the family moved to the British colony in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Like other women writers from southern African who did not graduate from high school (such as Oliv ...more
More about Doris Lessing...
The Golden Notebook The Fifth Child The Grass is Singing The Good Terrorist The Memoirs of a Survivor

“Little Tamar, forget the long ago. We are here and we are now, and that is all. We are making a new start.” 6 likes