Start by marking “Emotionally Engaged” as Want to Read:
Emotionally Engaged

Emotionally Engaged

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  28 reviews
For most brides, the elation of engagement is accompanied by a cocktail of unexpected emotions: Anxiety about making a lifelong commitment. Sadness about leaving their single life behind. Confusion when even simple decisions?should we serve chicken cordon bleu or beef Wellington bring them to tears. Worst of all, since everyone around them expects them to be happy, few bri ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Plume Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Emotionally Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotionally Engaged

Renada Thompson
Helpful and encouraging. I appreciated the advice to clarify my expectations of how I "should" feel at various stages and then give myself permission to feel many different emotions. Not always happy ones! A book that is both clear-eyed and cheering.
Lacey Louwagie
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm so glad this book exists. As I've been planning to (obsessing over) getting married, I've found myself frustrated that there are books out there about EVERYTHING to do with planning and pulling off the wedding, but virtually nothing that speaks to the emotional experience of preparing for the life-change that marriage will bring. This book, thankfully, fills that void.

Allison Moir-Smith focuses her therapy practice on counseling brides, and this bo
Melanie
I just finished "Emotionally Engaged: A Bride's Guide to Surviving the 'Happiest' Time of Her Life" by Allison Moir-Smith. While some of it was a little over-the-top for me and some of the dialogue in the examples of situations given seemed a bit juvenile, it was a good book to read when I needed a little bit of de-stressing time. It helped to know that it wasn't abnormal for me to be down and depressed some days even though I'm planning for one of the happiest days of my life. It encourages you ...more
Liz De Coster
Reassuring if mostly reliant on anecdotes.
Katie
really recommend this book!
Michelle Plass
A fabulous read for any bride-to-be it talks about the transition between being single and getting married. Just like The Conscious Bride, only without some of the patronizing language and mythology. A very easy and engaging read the encourages all women to feel their feelings and that just because they may have questions or confusion about marriage doesn't mean there is anything wrong with their relationship. A must read for all the engaged ladies out there!
Beth
Jul 14, 2008 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: future brides
I may be unduly harsh, but I feel like I've been a real nightmare throughout our engagement. I've purchased many books, attempting to find some solace that this is a temporary condition and that I'll be back to my old self in no time.

The search is over! This will be a frequent gift to future brides. This book was a lifesaver. Some of the suggested activities were hokey. Very hokey, hence the withheld final star, but still strongly recommended.
Cornelia Schiller
I recently read this book and it really helped me at the time. It is well structured, direct and at times no-nonsense, but written with a very light and humorous tone. Kind of makes you feel like you are talking to the author in a friend-setting. It was an easy read and I probably finished the thing in about an hour. The first self-help book I've ever read and would definitely recommend to all bride-to-bes out there!
Kate
A much more engaging read now that I've start planning my wedding, as opposed to previously when I had no idea when the wedding was going to be. The book really does make you think about your emotions and what could be causing various different feelings, and really did give me some insight as to what might be going on in my head.
jessica ann
Sep 14, 2008 jessica ann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the engaged.
Recommended to jessica ann by: my fiance.
This is a good book for anyone that's about to get married. It explains the emotions besides happiness that you might feel during your engagement and, most importantly, why! It also delves into the way your relationships change with your family and friends during your engagement...an important thing to understand. Ok, go read.
Hawley
I highly recommend this to any and every bride who desires not only to make the most of her engagement period but her marriage, to think more holistically than simply of the day of the wedding. It is fantastic and really helped me to realize the full potential of my engagement period and to prepare for marriage. It's awesome!
Noelle
This is a must read for the engaged or newly married bride. I just recently got married and had gone through a lot of changes that I was unaware of from being engaged. This book helped clarify the emotions that went along with the engagement and the life changing committment I was about to make. Excellent book!!
Amelia
I read this in the early days of my engagement. I learned so much from this, and a lot of the book has stuck with me. I've recommended it to all of my engaged friends. Getting married should be a deliberate choice for your future, not something to get caught up in.
Alia
Jun 28, 2009 Alia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alia by: Kristian
A really interesting and thought-provoking take on what women actually go through emotionally during their engagements. Probably would be more helpful to me if I were engaged while reading this, but hopefully I'll be able to use the information when I do get engaged.
Kati
This book was very helpful and full on insight. You go through a lot of emotions when planning your wedding and during the engagement this guide helps you not feel so crazy and to realize what your feeling isn't too far from the norm.
Jessica
Jul 17, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who are getting married
Recommended to Jessica by: MSN
A book you must read if you are getting married! It explains and makes sense of why everyone in your life gets so crazy around weddings. It also offers good advise on how to be calm and enjoy your wedding day.
Dustie
This book is like a good slap in the face from your best friend! :) Sometimes we all just NEED it! This book is HIGHLY reccommended to anyone needing to take a CHILL PILL over their wedding!
Claire
Surprisingly cool, relevant book about learning how to commit to another person and building a family with them. I especially liked the family map exercises.
Jennakeeven
Since my awesome friend Kati bought me this book, I decided I should read it. Had some fun information...some of it was a bit dramatic for my life.
Jessica
A very good choice for the mood I was in at the time. Finished it, feel better about my planning and am trying to keep things in perspective...
Danielle
interesting thoughts for people preparing to get married. Helped me deal with the myriad of emotions that come with being engaged.
Jen
Aug 31, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brides who can't get off their butts to plan the wedding
Recommended to Jen by: Lavina
I learned two very important things:

1) More people feel like me than don't feel like me, thanks
2) Everything will be fine
Brie Klein-fowler
My favorite of all the books I have been given as a bride-to-be! A definite must read for engaged girls!
Kerry
Should say currently re-reading. This has been great to return to throughout the planning process!
Samantha
I was afraid it might be hokey, but it really did help.
Elise
Every engaged woman should read this book.
Walker
A must read for the newly-engaged!
Angela
A must read for any bride-to-be.
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Taking an Opportunity Partners in Peace and Prosperity: A Premier and a Governer in Bermuda, 1977-1981 Life Of An Optimist