Start by marking “Letters from an American Farmer” as Want to Read:
Letters from an American Farmer

Letters from an American Farmer

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Written by an emigrant French aristocrat turned farmer, the Letters from an American Farmer (1782) posed the famous question: "What, then, is the American, this new man?," as a new nation took shape before the eyes of the world. Addressing some of American literature's most pressing concerns and identity issues, these Letters celebrate personal determination, freedom from ...more
Published July 22nd 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1782)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from an American Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from an American Farmer

Ben Hallman
No, I would never have read Letters From An American Farmer had it not been assigned reading for an English class. No, I never plan on reading it again. But I might as well be pleased that I did read it. I just need a few minutes to figure out why.

The historical significance of this book is much greater than its literary merit. It’s not much of a story, after all, but more of a report on the nascent American nation, with Crevecoeur taking up the thin disguise of Farmer John to send letters to th
Ben
As a primary source document from the immediately pre-Revolutionary War period, this book is naturally of interest to history buffs, but - speaking as a member of that tribe myself - I did not love it. The letters have a very desultory character, describing the history of Nantucket, the character of Charleston, and local hummingbirds and snakes, to give just a sample. There is no attempt at a comprehensive study of the American colonies in any sense, and those topics upon which the author alight ...more
Abbyjay
Crevecoeur, at least compared to his contemporaries, is sort of a realist, and it's interesting to see a realist's perspective on The New World. I took this for survey of american literature class, and it was refreshing after reading so much unbearable puritan literature. letter 9 was the best.
Ananya
don't know why it's given such a low average rating. I liked what is an American
J. Alfred
Probably more up the sociologist or historian's ally than my own, this is still an interesting collection of letters from the eponymous American farmer immediately preceding and during the Revolution. The letter(s) dealing with slavery (the author regards northern and southern slavery to be two very different animals) and the last, after the fighting has started, are the most worthwhile for a casual reader.
Trevor
Oh hell yes. I love this guy's style. He asserts that basically all Nantucket dwellers were morphine addicts. Crazy 18th century loose relationship with the truth, but I'm sure half of what he says is somewhat valid and it's all pretty compelling stuff. Who doesn't want to know about life on the American frontier before it moved so far west.
Ladygwen
These were an interesting contrast to other views of early America, especially in regards to the revolution. The debate over its fictionalization vs. biography is intriguing.
Calvin Funk
As far as early American fiction goes, I thought this was pretty good. I like it for it's literary qualities and it's commentary on early American life.
James Violand
Jun 29, 2014 James Violand rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American history buffs.
Shelves: own
A Frenchman in pre-Revolutionary America up through 1782 farms in New York and corresponds with an Englishman by letter. Very enlightening.
Rob
had to read this in college. I never finished it. It was too hard to get through.
eliza
awesome follow-up to a summer studying sustainable agriculture.
€l!na
θελω η σχολη μου να κατεδαφιστει!!γινεται??????????
Rachel
I guess this is where that American Dream thing came from.
André Tavares Marçal
Read Letter III - "What is an American?"
Sannie Hald
Letter III: What is an American?
Skittle Booth
An interesting peek into the past
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Nisha
Nisha marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Patriot Eats!
  • Notes on the State of Virginia
  • Two Years Before the Mast and Twenty-Four Years After (Harvard Classics, #23)
  • The Machine in the Garden: Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America
  • Young Patriots: The Remarkable Story of Two Men, Their Impossible Plan, and the Revolution That Created the Constitution
  • Patriotic Gore: Studies in the Literature of the American Civil War
  • Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
  • Poems of Phillis Wheatley
  • The Epic of America
  • Mary Chesnut's Civil War
Michel Guillaume Jean de Crèvecœur (December 31, 1735 – November 12, 1813), naturalized in New York as John Hector St. John, was a French-American writer. He was born in Caen, Normandy, France, to the Comte and Comtesse de Crèvecœur (Count and Countess of Crèvecœur).
More about J. Hector St. John de Crèvecoeur...
Letters from an American Farmer and Sketches of Eighteenth-Century Ameri Letters from an American Farmer and Other Essays Lettres D'Un Cultivateur Americain Adressees a Wm S...On, Sketches Of Eighteenth Century America (Notable American Authors Series - Part I) Lettres D'Un Cultivateur Americain: Ecrites A W.S. Ecuyer, Depuis L'Annee 1770 Jusqu'a 1781. Volume 1 of 2