Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces (Commanders)

Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces (Commanders)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The third in an extraordinary series of nonfiction audiobooks by the number-one-bestselling author -- a look deep into the art of war, as seen through the eyes of one of America's outstanding commanders. The training, resourcefulness, and creativity of the Special Forces soldier make him capable of jobs that few other soldiers can handle, in situations where traditional ar...more
Audio, Abridged
Published February 4th 2002 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 2001)

Jerome
Fairly interesting but unfocused,superficial, and poorly researched. This book apparently has three authors, that should give you fair warning.
Supposedly a history of US special operations forces, this book is pretty much a dry biography of Carl Stiner, and not very substantive. It is also splattered with huge maps, bulleted lists and what appear to be massive interview excerpts.
Some portions are poorly researched;he calls CAS "combat air support" while the correct term is "close air support." H...more
Katie Cross
This book was all right, but very unfocused.

Supposedly it was about the Special Forces, but it should probably be re-titled as a loose biography on Carl Stiner. His time in the SF teams/groups was limited once he promoted out, and from there, it's more of a detailed, historical narrative on several major battles since then.

Overall, I was not impressed. This book in no way achieved the objective it claimed over Special Forces. Maybe if the aim was altered to something more like an overall SOF foc...more
Tom Schulte
This book ends basically on the eve of the The War in Afghanistan, so it may seem out of date. However, as a work of history it is interesting and enlightening. Clancy and insider Steiner take us through the history of U.S. special forces from inforomal, one-off Jedburgh teams of WW II to increasing formalization reaching an acme in the Vietnam War with Rangers and Green Berets. Marginalized and continued to be seen as adjuncts to regular infnatry, etc., these units lose ffectiveness, prepararat...more
Bookworm Amir
Too detailed later.

It really runs more like General Carl Stiner's personal autobiography in more ways that once.

Yes eh talks about the military but most of the time there are no special forces talk (such as when talking about Lebanon - I was expecting him to give a more deeper account of what happened on that day when the Marines got bombed), but no, it was just a story about him and some politics of Lebanon.

The beginning of the book was alright, it talked about the history of the Special Forces...more
Blain
This is one of those cases where I wish I could give half a star for 2 1/2 but that not being the case it gets two. As a historical record this book is fine as a historical narrative it leaves much to be desired. In a well justified effort to pay homage to the people who lay much on the line for the protection of the USA Clancy mentions those people he can when he can, but shows no editing skills, mentioning almost anyone and everyone who may even enter the room for a moment, leaving the reader...more
J.D.
Supposedly a book about the Special Forces, this is really more a military biography of General Carl Stiner. Stiner's spent a lot of time commanding SF, but also a lot of time in the "regular" Army, and there are long stretches of the book that concern his non-SF experiences, particularly in Vietnam, Lebanon and Panama. Still, he's led an interesting career, and there are some good insights into how military command and operations function and the things commanders have to think about, both in a...more
Dan
Shadow Warriors is the best Tom Clancy book I've read yet. It provides amazing input into how the Special Forces we have today came to be the way they are. It also has a lot of personal information on the inside of the Special Forces- provided by Carl Stiner. It starts with the very first Special operation in World War II and tells stories up through history like Panama, Lebanon, and the Gulf War. You won't get a this well written book about Special Forces anywhere else.
Jarred
Tom Clancy's Shadow Warriors: Inside The Special Forces is a really good action book, for all yall Tom clancy fans out there. The is about 53 Americans that were being held captive, and a special team of agents (know as the shadow warriors) go to a different country to find the hostages, and make sure that the enemy does not use this special type of oil that could be used to destory America.
Johnny
May 09, 2007 Johnny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: military and history
This non fiction account of the birth and growth of the "black ops" folks is an eyeopener for anyone.

While we have all heard of the Green berets, we often don't understand the full scope of their work, which is less bullets and more about beans.

What was most interesting was the creation of "talking points" during the Gulf War. Sound familiar Fox News fans?
Quaid Matthews
I thought it was very interesting book, but it was a slow read most of the time. I always enjoy reading a good Tom Clancy book to learn about war, he just gets it when it comes to describing war zones. His details are also very graphic. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the special forces of our country and what they do.
Darren Sapp
While Tom Clancy has achieved success for fiction, this work of non-fiction is deserving of the same kudos. This is a very good overview of the special operations idea but is fairly specific to army special forces mainly due to co-author and former special operations general, Carl Stiner. Delta Force and Green Beret fans will love it.
Craig
The book was very honest, in that the generals and other officers in it admitted their mistakes. However, I found myself a bit bored reading it... aside from some of the training and combat sequences, there was a lot of emphasis on planning and politics that could have probably been better shown rather than told.
Dio Aufa Handoyo
SF journey from formation by Bill Yarborough to integration with USSOCOM, with heavy focus on Gen. Carl Stiner's experiences. Not very streamlined, but still an interesting nonfiction to learn about SF roles in Panama and the Gulf War. Wish it's possible to give it 3 1/2 stars.
William
I picked this up to learn a bit more about Special Forces, in light of the Bin Laden raid. This is a pretty good introduction to Special Operations/Forces, with enough history and exmples to make it an interesting read.
Brian Rast
You thought he just wrote fiction. This is non-fiction that presents what's clandestine ops really are about. You need to understand why this is important in this age, if you don't know already. Good read.
Cortino
A great insight into the operations of Army Special Forces. Gave me understanding that their operations were much more than guts and glory. Much politics and planning go into each operation.
Dave
This non-fiction book gives a very good history of the various special operations units of the US Armed Forces. There is also a good narrative of actual operations and what went wrong or right.
Colleen Crocker
My dad is mentioned briefly in this book, and I can't help but love it because it's true and good account of the lives of SF ops and keep his memory alive. It makes me so proud of his work.
Albert
All my ideas about special forces turned out to be wrong. Very informative although the story is told from a historical perspective. Do not expect too much technical details.
John Moss
This book opened a whole new world of unconventional warfare and military history to me. A really great book on special forces from WWII and beyond.
Adam
Factual reading. Interesting details. Not a life changer. If you are into military history and especially special ops its worth a look.
Dan
This was a cool Tom Clancy because it is non-fiction and all about the history/job of the US special forces. They are bad-a.
Brad Waldmsith
I'm currently re-reading this book. It's one of my favorite non-fiction books that Tom Clancy ever wrote.
Rae
Special Forces. Hoo-rah et al. But way too much detail for me. Otherwise OK.
Bryan Bridges
Good primer on America's Special Operations Forces.
Cimuchowski
Tough work. I will stick to preaching and teaching.
Gabriel Joseph
informative. for any military enthusiast.
Michael
An excellent picture of the special ops services
Rod
interesting...bit too in depth
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • American Soldier
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • The Night Stalkers
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • War Made New: Technology, Warfare, and the Course of History: 1500 to Today
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero : The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Steel My Soldiers' Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • Operation Dark Heart: Spycraft And Special Ops On The Frontlines Of Afghanistan- And The Path To Victory
  • Day of Wrath
  • Terror and Consent : The Wars for the Twenty-First Century
  • The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany 1944-45
  • Ripples of Battle: How Wars of the Past Still Determine How We Fight, How We Live & How We Think
From www.loc.gov: Best-selling author Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College and he had a dream of writing a novel. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984). He has since written more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and r...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)