Christmas Cake

Christmas Cake (Hope Springs #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With the holiday season drawing near, the ladies of Hope Springs, North Carolina, are making plans for a cake cookbook—a project that will hopefully lift the spirits of a beloved member of their close-knit quartet. But Margaret Peele is downhearted and uninspired now that her cancer has returned. All she wants this Christmas is to visit her mother's Texas hometown . . . an...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Cake

Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Margaret, Jessie, Beatrice and Louise have been great friends forever. As members of the Women’s Guild of Hope Springs (North Carolina) Community Church, their current project is a Christmas Cake Cookbook and recipe contest. Beatrice has promised a big prize, but so far, hasn’t been able to deliver.

When Margaret discovers that her cancer has come back, her friends rally around her and vow to help her realize her final dream. They’re joined by their good friend and former pastor Charlotte, who ha...more
Melissa
While the writing was not fabulous and felt rushed to me at times, I liked this heartwarming tale of five friends who met through a church cookbook committee. I have not read the original book, The Friendship Cake, or the other two in the series, but I will be doing so just to find out how these women got started on their loyal, tight-knit friendships.

Set in a small town in North Carolina, this novel takes the women on an emotional journey when one of the group has a reoccurance of her cancer t...more
Elaine
#4 in the Hope Springs series

Of all the vehicles for the ladies to drive to Texas in! Margaret, Louise, and Beatrice are about to drive to Texas where they will meet their friend Charlotte whom they hadn't seen in a few years or so. Worrying about not yet having a prize to offer for the best cake recipe that she had announced, Beatrice forgot to see about renting a van for the trip. She's had other stuff on her mind as well. Louise and Jessie have been there for her to help her through something...more
I Would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the previous books first.
The cake recipes were fantastic, I copied every single one and am making it my personal mission to bake each one.

Long time friends take their dying friend to Texas for one last time so she can see her hometown and see where she came from. Along the way hilarity and adventures ensue.

You really need to read the previous cake book to get to know the characters, itherwise it can be a little confusing.
Judy
This is the 4th installment in Lynne Hinton's Hope Springs series. This inspirational fiction book again features the cookbook committee of the Hope Springs Church as they put together a cookbook of Christmas cake recipes. The project is therapy as the group comes to grip with the terminal illness of one of its members. The book also includes many yummy sounding cake recipes.
Nikki
Nov 29, 2009 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends amd family
Recommended to Nikki by: coworker/friend
This was a great holiday book. I enjoyed the recipes at the beginning of each chapter. I've never read any of Lynne Hinton's books before but now I want to read The Friendship Cake by her, as well as some of her others. She has realistic and likable characters. I am also looking forward to her next book, The Wedding Cake. Great story about the beautiful bond among friends.
Jaime Miller
This book was a slow start. Once I got into it, I really enjoyed it! diverse characters and heart warming/witty conversations. My only complaint is that the ending seemed to be forced and quick. She spent the entire time building up to the end, and then it was over within a few pages. It felt forced. But I don't regret the read and would read this author again.
Cindy
Apr 01, 2010 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shannon, Aimee, Michelle, Jerry
My friend Lynne Hinton has finally written about the "cake women" of Hope Springs. Reading about the friends is like wrapping up in a worn afghan. As usual there are high jinks as Bea is accused of grand theft auto! And as in all the series, there is sadness, but friends pull together to make the hard times bearable. A quick, great read with lots of recipes.
Connie
Once again the ladies of the Hope Springs Cookbook Committee have an adventure. While the story is humorous at times, it also deals with more serious issues such as death, depression and domestic violence.

Hinton's books always leave me with a warm, wonderful feeling; I hope that someday I will be able to travel to New Mexico to meet her.
Kathleen Smith
I am suppose to review it for The Library Thing. It is an ok story, but kind of cookie cutter. Just with a different group of women. I am only half way through so we will see. After finishing it and finding out that the Author is actually a minister. I realized the strength of its message. Made me want more. So I read Wedding Cake....
Sandybear76
Jul 29, 2011 Sandybear76 marked it as to-read
I loved this book. The cookbook committee is at it again this time finding cakes recipes for Chirstmas. Bea starts it but passes it to Louise. Margaret receives unhappy news. Charlotte loves her new job in New Mexico. The committee drives to Texas.
Chelsea
A well-written story about old friends helping one of their own make her last days joyous around the Christmas season.

The books has a lot of fun recipes for various cakes and each recipe has a part in the story. I copied a few to try someday.
Donna
Lynne Hinton's series from Hope Springs, North Carolina, are heartwarming and funny. The four friends face difficult and sometimes funny situations are they work this time on a Christmas Cake book. They model whagt true friendship is all about.
Nancy
I really like the Hope Springs series but it was a bit strange to have so much time pass between this book and the previous one. Margaret's cancer has returned and it sets off questions about mortality that are very well handled.
Carrie
The best thing about this book is the recipes. There are some yummy sounding cakes that I can hardly wait to try. Most are Southern recipes so the ingredients seem offbeat to my Pacific Northwest granola and wheat germ palate.
Heather
I enjoyed this book because I liked the friendship and unity and compassion shown with this group of women. So because I liked the theme, I liked the story. I also am interested in trying a few of the recipes as well.
Barb Harris
Another of the hope springs series....a bit more predictable than the others, and seemed a bit formulaic...like the author wanted to do a holiday book in order ot buy more presents...
Elizabeth Bass
Cute book. It kind of reminded me of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with more mature women. I enjoyed how they came together as friends to deal with trials.
Holly Barrett
Fun read about the friendships of women. Loved these women and how they interact and take care of one another, as well as how they reach out to younger women.
Kate
I really liked this book and discovered it's a series. It's the story of friendships, loss, forgiving and life. Oh yeah, and the cake recipes, too!
Angela
Not terribly interesting, so I stopped halfway through. The recipes in the book look yummy, though, so I am going to try some of those.
Peter
My wife was outraged by the recipes in this book. So here is her one sentence review:

"Who would ever use margarine when baking a cake! "
Kim
The end of life story of one woman, while others learn to go on living. And cake recipes. I'd read more by this author - this was my first.
Karen
I love good books with great stories and recipes too. This was amazing and made me want to read the rest of the series.
Brandy
Loved it! As an added bonus, I'll be making all of the cakes from the recipes provided. They look fabulous!
Diane Mason
Again, wonderful book, heart wrenching ending. Hope the next in the series is more cheerful!
Barb Bennett
Loved it. Great story about friends and how strong the bonds of friendship can be.
PWRL
Jan 07, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
Large Print
Melody Gaidrich
Melody Gaidrich marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lynne Hinton is the pastor of St. Paul's United Church of Christ in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The author of numerous novels including Friendship Cake, Hope Springs, Forever Friends, Christmas Cake, and Wedding Cake, she lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
More about Lynne Hinton...
Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1) Pie Town The Arms of God The Order of Things The Things I Know Best