Start by marking “Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries #6)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,348 ratings  ·  58 reviews
In her sixth engrossing outing, Jane Austen employs her delicious wit and family ties to the Royal Navy in a case of murder on the high seas. Somewhere in the picturesque British port of Southampton, among a crew of colorful, eccentric, and fiercely individual souls, a killer has come ashore. And only Jane can fathom the depths of his ruthless mind....

Jane and the Prisoner
Published March 25th 2009 by Crimeline (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House

Title: Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mystery #6)
Author: Stephanie Barron
Read by: Kate Reading
Publisher: Books on Tape
Length: 10 hours and 9 minutes

Source: MP3 Audio through Wisconsin Public Library Consortium – Overdrive on my Droid
In the winter of 1807, Jane Austen, her sister Cassandra, and her mother are living in Southampton with Jane’s brother Frank and his new bride Mary. Mary is expecting and so Frank has agreed to stay ashore, although he wants to be out fighting the F
Francesca Morelli
Mi è piaciuto molto!
Ai precedenti libri, sopratutto l'ultimo, di questa saga, ho fatto una recensione
che rasentava la noia, tra merletti, cappellini, guanti, balli, te e pasticcini e tante
tante chiacchere inutili.
Questo libro si è riscattato.
Lo stile vittoriano è sempre lo stesso, ma questa volta l'autrice in 300 pagine
si è limitata ad un solo ballo e ad un teatro, due eventi molto importanti per lo svolgimento
della storia.
Ho cercato di capire chi fosse l'autore del complotto e di tanti efferr

Sesta indagine di Jane Austen.
Sothampton, 1807. Jane si sta annoiando nella cittadina marittima, aspettando che la casa nuova sia pronta e la nascita di un nuovo nipotino, quando suo fratello Frank le confida sconvolto che un suo grande amico rischia di essere impiccato per un omicidio avvenuto in mare. Jane decide di aiutarlo, recandosi nella prigione di Wool House, dove i marinai francesi sono tenuti rinchiusi in attesa di essere scambiati. Tra loro c'è un uomo colto, il medico di bordo, che p
Georgiana 1792
Jane e la Royal Navy

Nell'ottobre del 1806 Jane Austen si trasferì con la madre e la sorella a Southampton, a casa del fratello Frank, che aveva appena sposato Mary Gibson. Nel febbraio 1807 la famiglia si trovava ancora in alloggi provvisori: si sarebbe spostata a Castle Square solo a marzo. Cassandra era a Godmersham quando Jane fu raggiunta dall'amica che la scrittrice considerava come una seconda sorella, Martha Lloyd, di dieci anni più grande di lei. Le Austen e Martha potevano così tenere c

Jane, her mother, her sister and their friend Martha Lloyd have removed to Southampton to live with her brother Frank's bride Mary. Frank is on shore too, hoping for the Royal Navy to grant him a fast ship. Frank's wish is about to come true - he will soon be granted command of the Stella Maris. Unfortunately, the promotion for Frank comes at the sacrifice of his friend, Captain Seagrave, who is under arrest for murder of the French captain whose ship the Stella Maris had overcome.Captain Seagra
I'll admit it. I groaned a little to myself when I read the book sleeve's description of Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House. Royal Navy? Yuck. Murder on the high seas? Blech. I was fully prepared to dislike the book on the whole and have to force myself to trudge through it's nearly 300 pages.

But . . . I was wrong. The book was fast-paced and so not over my head with naval details, terms and settings. Furthermore, for the first time in reading Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mystery series, I wa
In the winter of 1807, we find Jane Austen in the seaport of Southampton living in hired lodgings while her brother Francis Austen’s new residence is made ready for them at Castle Square. The Austen women (Jane, sister Cassandra, their widowed mother and a dear family friend Martha Lloyd), will all be residing together under her brothers kind graces. He is at present a landlocked Royal Navy post captain anxiously awaiting his next assignment, and his first child.

News has reached Frank of a possi
I really love this series. Jane Austen travels to Southampton to visit her brother. She finds him troubled by the arrest of his closest friend who is charged with the murder of a French captive after he had surrendered. Jane gets busy trying to find out what really happened. This series blends truth with the fiction of the story and makes a great story.
3&1/2 stars. Entertaining audiobook. It's the first book in this series that I've read (listened to,really) Probably wouldn't have liked it as much if I'd actually been reading it but the narrator was very good and it kept me occupied while I was doing tedious work. I also learned a little about British Naval History.
In the 6th installment of Stephanie Barron's Being Jane Austen historical mystery series, Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House, Jane returned in another gripping mystery that rocked her world. When Jane stood beside her brother Frank, who was a post Naval Captain without a ship, and the best prospect was the "Stella Maris", a frigate that his friend Tom Seagrave commanded. Tom was charged with violating the Act of War and murdering the French captain after he surrendered his ship. Now he faced co ...more
a pretty good yarn! I learned quite a bit about English Maritime history of that period and Barron really does carry off the Jane Austen characterizations and period details and mannerisms very well. After sort of avoiding the series for quite some time, somewhat convinced of its in-authenicity, I find now I was quite wrong and have really been enjoying it, enough in fact to have picked up another one... Jane and the Stillroom Maid, although I am finding that I'd be better off reading #1 first, ...more
Addicted to the vocabulary pronounced by Kate Reading in the audio version. The closest language style to J. Austen's I've found.
It started slow, but once it got going I couldn't put it down!
I've liked this one best so far and thought it merited a few lines of review. The naval and maritime period details are marvelous--The researcher in me continues to be tickled by the idea of all those fine academic studies of obscure British history and Austen biographies providing the raw material for historical mystery like this. I haven't read the whole series yet but I think I like the ones without Sir Harold better--I find him a bit too unreal in comparison with the other factional characte ...more
I find the Jane Austen mysteries to be dear, if historically inaccurate, combinations of two of my favorites: murder mysteries and Jane Austen. This particular volume also deals with the seaside and the Royal Navy, so it had a nice nautical twist.

The story and the voice weren't as lively as they had been in earlier books in the series, though. It may be that Barron is imitating an older Jane Austen writing style; I hope it's not that she's getting tired writing the books!
Okay, got sucked into this on the Jane Austen line and ended up enjoying it. The language was very true to Jane Austen and the story was interesting. It was a mystery of Jane Austen's brother's friend accusted of murder. Had characters of Austen's real-life and characters displaying traits of her novels. Got a kick out of it. A few twists of the plot were plausible and the ending a surprise but not far-fetched.
The very first paragraph states, "Had I suffered the misfortune to be born a man, I should have torn myself early from the affections of my family and all the comforts of home, and thrown my fate upon the mercy of the seas." Who knew that Jane Austen left behind loads of material to be turned into detective stories from her past. Crazy. I am going to read all these books now.
Excellent! The best so far, by far. I was guessing at the outcome toward the end and was completely taken in. I love that. Jane was awesome, as always, and what fun to have her brother Frank in the adventure, too.

And Etienne . . . le sigh. Sorry, Lord Harold, but since you weren't in this book, I had to swoon over someone else. And what a someone he was!
I think Barron borrowed from authors besides Jane Austen for this book, which annoyed me a little, but the story was interesting. I was glad to have a book without Lord Harold; I enjoy him well enough, but he's a ridiculous plot device. This felt much more believable, which much less mixing outside of the Austen family's class.
Elizabeth S
These books each get a little better as the series goes on. And they were pretty good to start with.

This one involves a lot of naval customs and such. Knowing what a post captain is or what a midshipman is, and knowing a little about how naval wives operate is helpful. But I don't think the knowledge is required to enjoy the book.
In the sixth book of the series, Jane must discover how to prove the innocence of her brother's friend. He was accused of killing a French captain, after he had surrended. Instead Jane finds out all this intrigue and that it had nothing to do with the "Monster", Napoleon, as first thought.
Sixth one....loved it.....I love the relationship with Jane and Lord Harold. These are such great simple reads that they keep me coming back for more. I'm hooked on this series...will I ever read a classic again? I need to get back on track but while I'm derailed I'm having a lot of fun.
Kristi Thompson
I thought the Jane series had gotten tired, but I quite enjoyed this one. Perhaps I merely needed a vacation from them.

Plot wandered - my patience for plot twists and red herrings in mysteries is not infinite - but characters and period details more than compensated.
Aside from scuba reading, I finished Jane & The Prisoner of Wool House in the last couple of days. It inspired me to pick up an actual 19th-century novel. It's a little denser than the mysteries, so we'll see how far I get in the next couple of weeks.
Barron has the Austen era language down pretty well. Seemed to be historicall accurate, though I'm not a student of history and may not know better. It was fun to imagine Jane Austen engaging in everyday occurances and out of the ordinary events.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Reading Stephanie Barron’s Jane Austin sleuth is always a breath of fresh air. The reader gets quality writing and quality editing, a great story, murder without graphic details, and creativity that permits you to use your imagination.
Very good. I think Barron's Jane has really grown over the books and taken on a life of her own. This particular mystery involves naval matters and is full of lots and lots of period tidbits to please those fans of ships and battles.

i am retarded and didn't realize it was the 6th in a series when i grabbed it off the shelf, but now i have a lot of catching up to do which is fine by me. I'v managed to read the inkspell books out of order and still grasped the plot.
Figured out the killer as soon as s/he was introduced. I didn't like the fact that Jane wasn't as active with this case so she had to rely on having her brother tell her about his interviews. Still a good read.
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • The Darcy Connection
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Lady Vernon and Her Daughter
  • None But You (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #1)
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?

Stephanie Barron was born Francine Stephanie Barron in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls
More about Stephanie Barron...

Jane Austen Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)
  • Jane and the Genius of the Place (Jane Austen Mysteries, #4)
  • Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
  • Jane and the Barque of Frailty (Jane Austen Mysteries, #9)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • Jane and the Canterbury Tale (Jane Austen Mysteries, #11)
Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2) Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3) Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5) Jane and the Genius of the Place (Jane Austen Mysteries, #4)

“'s burdens may only be overcome by a summoning of inner resources: by a dependence not upon others, but upon the qualities of spirit and mind.” 1 likes