Start by marking “Bollywood” as Want to Read:
Bollywood

Bollywood

Ashok Banjara is one of India's mega-movie stars, a man of great ambition and dubious morals. With irrepressible charm and a genius for satire, Tharoor portrays the Indian film world in all its Hollywoodesque glitz and glamor as a metaphor for Indian society. Onscreen fiction and offscreen reality intertwine to weave a tapestry of power and privilege, seduction and betraya ...more
Unknown Binding
Published July 31st 2006 by TusQuets (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Bollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bollywood

Jo-Ann Murphy
Aug 05, 2014 Jo-Ann Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know very little about India or Bollywood so I was happy to win this book through the Goodreads giveaways.

I was a little confused in the beginning of the book due to both the style and my lack of knowledge of India but became intrigued by the story. It was not long before I caught on. It was an enjoyable read with a surprise ending that I never expected.

The characters are well developed and interesting. It is a well written very realistic story about a self absorbed man who gives no real thoug
Bharati
Mar 17, 2013 Bharati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply brilliant. A must read for all Bollywood fans. Sarcasm and humour galore...Tharoor at his best.
Krittika Mittal
Nov 06, 2015 Krittika Mittal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Shashi Tharoor novel. I liked it so much, I must have suggested it to atleast 20 people after me. I just love his style of writing. I would recommend people to read this.
Chaitra
Feb 15, 2007 Chaitra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A major let-down after the Great Indian Novel
Saad
Oct 11, 2015 Saad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tharoor's Show Business gives an interesting composition of the Indian entertainment industry's links to society and politics. The book reflects the old saying that what you get is not what you want and what you want is not what you get. The book indeed delivers some very strong messages of integrity and what greed and indifference and disloyalty can bring to one's life. While songs are selling features in Bollywood movies, I am not sure how much the transliteration of songs in the movie narrati ...more
Durga
Jul 28, 2015 Durga rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Of all the books of Shashi Tharoor's , this one definitely seems like the worst. The book lacks a good narrative - in fact there is absolutely nothing that holds one's attention. The plot is very contrived, seems like inspired from the lives/gossip we hear about so many of the popular Bollywood actors that you predict the story in most places. I used to regularly read his opinion columns - and they were usually well written even if I dint agree with his arguments. This has left me wondering whet ...more
Sherry
Jan 11, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Written by an Indian national, it has the resonance of that culture, which to me is unique. The story is all about Bollywood and young film-star, Ashok, who seems to happily stumble into just about everything in his life -- he goes to Bollywood, and becomes a star, and eventually also has a political career. The book combines styles, including film play format. I laughed out loud at descriptions of Ashok's movies. At the end I was left with a lot to ponder. Tharoor's subtle sa ...more
Ray
Feb 15, 2016 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A crazy laugh out loud satirical take on the underbelly of BOLLYWOOD. I could not stop laughing at the obvious comparisons to MOGAMBO (craftily called GODAMBO here) and ASHOK BANJARA's wild antics among other minor characters make this book a pleasure to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a giggle at the inane workings of BOLLYWOOD and how fickle the entertainment world can be. 5 STARS!!!!!!!
Vikram Prasad
Jul 31, 2015 Vikram Prasad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bollywood movie buff, Metaphorical reads
Allegorical tale of a Bollywood superstar who struggles to enter the film industry of india, faces failure, gets few a break and then makes it big. Seems combination of life stories of some well known bollywood stars ( not divulging the names here). For readers familiar with Tharoor's style of story telling/writing fiction, can enjoy this. But actually reading now, it seems a bit stale and boring. Go ahead if you love Shashi Tharoor's command of language and style.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure if I would like this book, because I am really not into reading entertainment news. However, I found this book very enjoyable. The writing style is very interesting and alternates between the actors' lives, scenes from movies they are filming, stories from a gossip column, and monologues about their feelings. The ending was actually very surprising. Although, there probably are Indians that would criticize the author for creating characters as Indian stereotypes.
Kaitlin
Dec 02, 2015 Kaitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An amateurish portrait of a one-dimensional man who becomes a huge Bollywood star, gets married and tries politics. Most of the story was scenes from his films. These were entertainingly absurd. The rest was awkward monologues from people in his life and his own musings, essentially "how did I get here?"

This was available at the Dollar Tree for a reason.
Comelibros
No está mal. Conocer ese mundo cinematográfico de la India; lleno de contrastes y situaciones tan desconocidas para los que vivimos en este lado del mundo. Me gusto este libro, considero que el autor shashi Tharoor es un buen escritor te mete dentro de la cultura de este gran país.

Sourabh Jaiswal
I dint like the book that much. Its did not meet the expectation that I have from shashi Tharoor.
This book talks about an actor's life, his ups and downs. How mean he has been in his entire life even though he never meant any of those.
Dint find anything commendable in this book.
Viju
Oct 10, 2013 Viju rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is surely a fun and indulgent read, especially when you can attach real faces to the characters, which Tharoor ensures don't stray away from being not-so-obvious. It oscillates between a scintillating Page 3 read and a real biography. And pretty well at that.
Anandh Sundar
Oct 20, 2013 Anandh Sundar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like other Shashi Tharoor books, this one blends fiction and real life seamlessly. Some may say Ashok Banjara is BigB in terms of politics, accident, 'rumoured affairs' etc, but there are cases for and against it. Certainly a one time read but a really explosive ending
Prateek Phadke
Mar 10, 2016 Prateek Phadke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Avoid on all accounts...

This is a heap of carelessly drawn characters, drowning themselves in utterly cheap dialogues and crap story. I am even feeling ashamed to donate to a library or somebody else. This is surely going to a trash bin. :-(
Aviral
Nov 21, 2012 Aviral rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beauty lies in the details. Thankfully the details aren't all that deep and it's a fun read.
You will especially enjoy this book if you are aware of Amitabh Bachhan's life story. There are parallels but Shashi Tharoor exercises enough creative liberty to keep you hooked.
Gautham
Sep 29, 2015 Gautham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-stars only for Shashi Tharoor's wit and satire.The way he connects politics,religion and cinema is too good.
Joseph
Nov 06, 2016 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you like Indian fiction and want to read a book from a former minister this is a good one to try
Aathira Jim
Aug 07, 2014 Aathira Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! My detailed review here
Jamal Khan
Jamal Khan rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Debarati
Debarati rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Rajani Kumar
Rajani Kumar rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2013
Pooja T
Pooja T rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2014
Root
Root rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2008
Mayurica
Mayurica rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Christiane
Christiane rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Soumya
Soumya rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2011
  • Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India Are Reshaping Their Futures—and Yours
  • We Weren't Lovers Like That
  • On Balance, an Autobiography
  • The Death of Mr. Love
  • King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan and the Seductive World of Indian Cinema
  • The End Of Innocence
  • India's Unending Journey: Finding balance in a time of change
  • Superstar India: From Incredible to Unstoppable
  • The Atlantis Dialogue: Plato's Original Story of the Lost City and Continent
  • Planet India: How the Fastest Growing Democracy Is Transforming America and the World
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • AIDS Sutra: Untold Stories from India
  • The Great Mutiny: India 1857
  • 4000 Miles
  • Joker in the Pack: An irreverent view of life at IIMs
  •  The Story Of My Assassins
  • Capital: The Eruption of Delhi
  • Cirkus
Shashi Tharoor is a member of the Indian Parliament from the Thiruvananthapuram constituency in Kerala. He previously served as the United Nations Under-Secretary General for Communications and Public Information and as the Indian Minister of State for External Affairs.

He is also a prolific author, columnist, journalist and a human rights advocate.

He has served on the Board of Overseers of the Fle
More about Shashi Tharoor...