Start by marking “Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll” as Want to Read:
Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll

Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll

Completely updated with new entries and extensive revisions of the previous 1,800, The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia Of Rock & Roll is the authoritative volume on the world's music makers—from the one-hit wonders to the megastars.

In 1983, Rolling Stone Press introduced its first Rock & Roll Encyclopedia. Almost two decades later, it has become the premier guide to the
Paperback, third edition, 1136 pages
Published November 8th 2001 by Touchstone (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll

Kozmo Kliegl
The particular volume I'm refering to is the original 1983 edition. A marvelous introduction to who's who's in this genre of music and is one of the few tomes of this (the later ones were too big, no intimacy) covers right up to the time Jacko released Thriller. The 2nd of the vital trilogy of Rolling Stone Magazine (The red-cover Record Guide & Rock of Ages being the others)
Jeff
Jan 31, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Mom

1st Read: April 9, 1991 - November 2, 1991

When this fascinating book about music arrived in our home in the autumn of 1983, I was beside myself in happiness! Music was a huge part of our upbringing as children, and to this day, aside from two of my sisters, all of us listen to music more than we watch television.

I was twelve years old when this book was published. At that point in time, I had been listening to a broad spectrum of sounds. Many of the people my age group were grooving to the
C. Hall
May 02, 2009 C. Hall rated it really liked it
Though weakened by Rolling Stone's propensity for snobbery and an occasionally sketchy definition of the term "rock & roll," this weighty tome is nevertheless a golden reference volume. It's a satisfying time-killer as well: flip to virtually any page, and odds are you'll learn something you didn't know. Terrific fun for any would-be rock scholar.
Peter
Dec 16, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: Ist Love
Shelves: hobby
My search to own this book finally comes true. Now I don't have to go to my local library whenever I want to do my research. At last I could afford to buy this as new encyclo; at cheap dirt price.Contain rich information. Bravo. Will never finish reading this book. Date I own this book. December 2008
kate
Jul 19, 2010 kate rated it really liked it
I like the rating system (stars and bullets!) of the Rolling Stone Album Guides, which this book doesn't have. That's why it's an encyclopedia...
Zacaharias Jensonius
very good compilation of a wide variety of bands. it also is has some good information on each listing. best part is all the discographies.
Antoine
Feb 08, 2008 Antoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original copy of this book is completely worn out. I have replaced it with a copy of the 2001 Edition, but I find I still go back to this one, for bands that didn't make the more recent cut.
Carla
Sep 06, 2012 Carla rated it really liked it
I usually buy this book for my very closest friends that have great taste in music for birthdays, Christmas, etc..
Pete Kelly
Jul 30, 2008 Pete Kelly rated it it was amazing
The definitive volume on Rock and Roll. Great articles and a real understanding of the music and its role in modern culture.
Jessica
Dec 01, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-that-i-own
Okay yeah I didn't read this book cover to cover but it's like the bible to me. I use this book so much for my music research and projects and they're good to collect too
Chris Gager
Nov 10, 2011 Chris Gager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read a book that did the same thing but came out in the 70's. I can't think of the name of it though so this one will have to do.
Jeff Gossett
Jeff Gossett rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Phil Melton
Phil Melton rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Mary Grace
Mary Grace rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2015
Marcy Austin
Marcy Austin rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Guy
Guy rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Erick Wessels
Erick Wessels rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2012
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
J.R. Miller
J.R. Miller rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Rahul Dhavale
Rahul Dhavale rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009
Connie Harkness
Connie Harkness rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
Malcolm Pinch
Malcolm Pinch rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Benn Allen
Benn Allen rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos
Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Bill Whittaker
Bill Whittaker rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
David Garboski
David Garboski rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2009
  • Rolling Stone Album Guide: All New Reviews (The Definitive Guide to the Best of Rock, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Blues, Country, Soul, Folk & Gospel)
  • Before I Get Old: The Story of the Who
  • 1000 Record Covers
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (1,000... Before You Die Books)
  • She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop & Soul
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution
  • Record Collecting for Girls: Unleashing Your Inner Music Nerd, One Album at a Time
  • AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World’s Greatest Rock-and-Roll Band
  • Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored
  • The Story of Music
  • Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!: The Story of Pop Music from Bill Haley to Beyoncé
  • The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun
  • The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience
  • Midnight Riders: The Story of the Allman Brothers Band
  • Blood Struggle: The Rise of Modern Indian Nations
2198241
Rolling Stone is a U.S.-based magazine devoted to music, politics, and popular culture that is published every two weeks. Rolling Stone was founded in San Francisco in 1967 by Jann Wenner (who is still editor and publisher) and music critic Ralph J. Gleason.
More about Rolling Stone Magazine...