Start by marking “Halo” as Want to Read:
Halo

Halo

Washed ashore as a baby in ancient Greece, Halo is discovered by a family of centaurs. Although her true identity remains a mystery, she is loved as one of their own. But when Halo is dragged away by fishermen, her wild adventure begins . . .

Halo soon realizes that if she is to survive then she must live in disguise - as a boy. A violent war is threatening to erupt and Hal
Published February 4th 2010 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Halo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halo

Alanna by Tamora PierceTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldEon by Alison GoodmanIn the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
Girls disguised as Boys
73rd out of 497 books — 637 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Modern Adaptations of Greek Mythology
120th out of 244 books — 346 voters

More lists with this book...

GOURI
Mar 27, 2014 GOURI rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! and I really love the fact that the book was written by two people,I don't know why!

(view spoiler)
Tsura
Jul 27, 2010 Tsura rated it it was amazing
Girl power! Glad I was born in a world where woman can at least do their own thing. I would have done the same if I were Halo.

Though classified as a book for youth I realy enjoyed it. The plots were well thought out and the book kept flowing and building up.
Abigail Yow
A woefully underrated tale of a young girl who is on a quest to find her place in the world. As Halo's story unravels, we are exposed to the trials and dangers of being a lone girl in Ancient Greece. Halo soon realise that to survive is to masquerade as a guy.

War is brewing among the Greeks. First, they fought the Persians as one. When that was over they started to wage war with their fellow neighbours for dominance; though they claimed it was for the sake of defending their nation. When Halo fi
Dani
May 26, 2012 Dani rated it really liked it
Shelves: greece
OK, so technically this is probably a kid's/young teens book. But I really liked it! OK, so the writing is a little simplistic, OK so maybe a few too many coincidences happen for it to be believable, but I loved it all the same :)

Set in Ancient Greece - little Halo is brought up by the centaurs who find her washed up on the beach. When she's about 12 she gets stolen into the world of man and there's a huge adventure in trying to escape, trying to find out who her parents are...Stuff :)

But, I rea
Yiwen
Jul 08, 2010 Yiwen rated it it was amazing
pliplop
Sep 11, 2011 pliplop rated it it was amazing
amazing-i love cross-dressing adventures-no offense!
Anastasia aka Taurendil
Dec 30, 2015 Anastasia aka Taurendil rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to read about a girl living amongst ancient Greek laws, and her Odysseu
I'm still processing all the thoughts this book has given me. First of all, I was amazed at how much I came to like the writing, its characters and the plot line. Maybe it tells something, that I desperately want to read more. But I know there are no sequels. I can't leave my friends now! Oh, sweet Apollo, dear Athena, Poseidon, and Artemis. You won't tear me away from Halo and Arko, (view spoiler) will you? I... just.. can't.

Some things about the marked shelves. I was
H
Jul 26, 2010 H rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2010, supernatural, ya
Don't see the 2-star rating and go all "Whoa" cause this book isn't that bad. It's just that I see it was ok and only that is what it's going to be.

You know how a book just pulls you into it whether you really like it or not? It happens. It happened to me several times when I didn't even like the book but I couldn't tear my eyes from the text.

It was something like that but I at least enjoyed reading it.

Something was still missing.

I don't really get it: I love reading about Greek mythology and hi
Johanness
Apr 01, 2011 Johanness rated it really liked it
Shelves: different
I was mesmerised, plain and simple. I've never read a book set in the Greek times before with no magic involved so this was a first experience for me and I'm glad. It was a good read their was some parts that I felt was to short and some parts felt to lost to me, the locations were odd to follow, but I got the main gist of it all. I loved Halo, Arko, Leonidas and Arimaspou the most out of all the characters, the interaction between these characters were just epic(entertaining).
Gosh the moments
R. L. Snowe
This book was a tad boring at times but overall a exciting, adventurous romp for middle aged children to teenagers. The romance was simple and sweet, it didn't go very far (No kissing or such) but it was nice. I really liked Halo by the middle of the book for she was very strong and determined and didn't just give in and be what other people wanted her to be when she wanted to be something different. A couple things didn't make sense, just little things that I was like what? and the plot was not ...more
B.m
Dec 27, 2011 B.m rated it really liked it
Though I think this book was aimed for a younger audience, I absolutely loved it. I grew to care about the main character - Halo - much more than I though I would as I followed her through a great journey which always kept me interested. There was a big GASP! Moment which I did not see coming (which I love!)
Sienna K
Apr 21, 2014 Sienna K rated it really liked it
'Until you know who you are, you're no one...'
'Halo' is one of the best books I have ever read. It always had me on the edge of my seat(or in this case, bed!) throughout the whole book. Definitely something I would read again.
Rosie
Mar 10, 2011 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome! Couldn't keep my nose out of it, a complete must read! I recommend this book to 12-15 yr olds. I think this book is really amazing!
Maxmiriam
Dec 02, 2012 Maxmiriam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
It was an awesome book. I've read it about 3 times now and I want to read it again. XD I love greek mythology sooo.... yeah. XD
Vicky
May 18, 2012 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Book of the Millenium!!!! People who are lucky enough to have this book, you are holding a future classic in your hand!!!
Kai Shen
Oct 02, 2013 Kai Shen rated it it was amazing
Can halo survive her tough and painful adventures??? READ it to find out!!!
Aisha
Jan 25, 2013 Aisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Laila Jamila
Recommended to Aisha by: me
I really like this book but I think the end left you wanting more. l like the authors books
❤Rose (◕‿◕✿)
It was amazing, even the second time round :D
LOVED IT!!!!!!
Shojo_otaku
Feb 14, 2015 Shojo_otaku rated it it was amazing
HOLY GRACAMOLIE
i loved this book .

*just go and read it*
Deborah
May 13, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
Loved this book it had a very new and old idea's. i loved some of the charecter and the ending.
Annett
Nov 01, 2013 Annett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch weckte mein Interesse zunächst aufgrund der Zentauren, dann aber auch aufgrund des vielversprechend klingenden Klappentextes. Halo ist ein junges Mädchen, dass schon im Babyalter seine Eltern verliert. Glücklicherweise wird sie von einem Zentauren gefunden, der sie sogleich mit nach Hause nimmt. So lernt sie nur dir Welt der Zentauren kennen und findet Menschen andersartig und abstoßend - obwohl sie ja selbst einer ist.

Der Autor hat das sehr gut angelegt. Denn gerade durch diese abge
Sharon Tang
Jul 03, 2014 Sharon Tang rated it really liked it
Halo by Zizou Corder

Halo is a baby girl who was found and raised by centaurs. One day she is taken and thrust into the world of men where she finds out that she has to pretend to be a boy in order to survive the war raging in the lands. While trying to keep her gender a secret, she meets many friends and enemies as she tries to find out about her past.

I couldn't relate to Halo's situation very much because she is pretending to be a boy in a country ravaged by war. Though some of her problems alo
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
ok im just warning you that this review will prob just jump from one thing to another because i cant be bothered writing a proper one :P

i really enjoyed reading this book - there were a couple of things that got annoying like halo praying which sometimes went on for a long time and was pretty repetitive, plus the author went into to much description on the buildings also the NAMES! OMG how am i even suppose to pronounce them let alone remember them, so the characters got a bit confusing but othe
Temuri617 Mtvralashvili

This book was written by Zizou Corder and it is classified in myth and adventure category.
The book is about a girl named Halo and how she travels around Greece disguised as a boy looking for her parents. She encounters many adventures as she travels. The main characters are Halo, Arko, the slytherin tribe and the centaur tribe. The story took place in Greece.
To me the book was very interesting and action packed. I enjoy read books about Greek Mythology and I definitely enjoyed this book. The sto
Christine Van der Westhuizen
Mar 27, 2014 Christine Van der Westhuizen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
A childhood favourite. I read it like ten times and loved it each time. I haven't read it recently but (spoilers)
it's about this girl who is raised by centaurs and one day to save her stepbrother she gets captured by humans who take her to their town and sells her when no family members came to claim her and she gets taken across the seas and eventually she ends up being taken to Sparta disguised as a boy-slave by a really hot boy who knows her secret... It was fun, well written and memorable.
Sep 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. This was my favourite book for many years. Has action, tragedy, romance, etc. Is not too violent, but there are some parts where its a little sad (spoiler: theres a huge plague and at that point it's very depressing). I've read this book several times, I'm not sure how many, and I usually don't like re-reading books so you can tell its that good (to me anyways).

Note: Not sure when I read this book, don't take the date seriously.
Caitlin
Oct 27, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
i absolutely loved this book. i think its great how it also has facts in it about the ancient Greek gods and cities. i dont like books that have the female characters that always need a guy to come rescue them. this book wasnt like that at all. halo fought for herself any didnt let anything stop her. 5/5
The Intrepid Fox
Oct 25, 2014 The Intrepid Fox rated it really liked it
This book is awesome!!!!!

But, back to the point. My real rating is actually 4.5 - only problem being the word 'OK', I just don't think it would've been in Greece back then, and it just kinda irked me. Otherwise, it was a really great read!
Simon
Dec 05, 2014 Simon rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining story with a feminist slant. It’s full of interesting information about Ancient Greece, especially Sparta. The hero Halo is brought up by centaurs, but is soon separated from them and thereon embarks on a dangerous adventure disguised, for her safety, as a boy.
Gabby
Nov 29, 2011 Gabby rated it really liked it
Halo is about a little girl who had to pretend to be a boy to grow up.
In the beginning, Halo was found washed up on a beach by Centaurs- half human and half horse.
But she is captured and brought to shore to work as a slave.
i enjoyed reading it.

• Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Apartment 255
  • The Whisperer
  • Kill the Possum
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • The Silver Donkey
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • Pieces of my Heart
  • Running Wild
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Girl Stuff: Your Full On Guide To The Teen Years
  • Bird Girl & the Man Who Followed the Sun: An Athabaskan Indian Legend from Alaska
  • The Diamond Girls
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Black Brothers: A Novel in Pictures
Zizou Corder is Louisa Young and Isabel Adomakoh Young, whose names are too long to fit on the front of a book.

Louisa is a grown-up and has written five grown-up books; Isabel is a kid and has written mostly schoolwork.

The original Zizou is Isabel's lizard, only he spells it Zizu. They Have written five books together: the highly acclaimed Lionboy trilogy, Lee Raven Boy Thief and Halo.

They live in
More about Zizou Corder...