The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet: *All You Need to Know to Crochet *The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Crocheters *Comprehensive Guide to Crochet Tools and Techniques *Packed with Hundreds of Tips and Ideas

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This is a comprehensive reference book on all aspects of crochet. This book provides a reference for all methods, including Tunisian, filet, intermeshing, broomstick lace, bruges lace, and freeform crochet. Includes step-by-step instructions for all the basic stitches and swatches of 100s of stitch patterns with complete instructions. Also provides instructions and pattern...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Creative Publishing int'l

Sherry Lee
OMG! I love this book! It's the best thing since sliced bread! Super easy instructions with lots of ideas and projects. Bright, colorful photos that just make me wanna go into Super Crocheting mode and crochet my whole entire family a complete wardrobe! So now my only problem is having to take it back to the library!
Grace
As a beginner of crochet, this book is absolutely amazing. It has more stitch variety than I've encountered before. There are directions for every stitch type that are easy to follow. There is even the occasional pattern for a project using a stitch pattern previously described.

My favourite feature of this is the pictures. I can get an idea how the stitch looks without having to do it myself first. There is so much for me to explore in this book that I really can't decide where to start.

The on...more
Lindsay
It seems great, but since I don't know how to crochet, I'll have to work with it more in-depth to know for sure. I'm am avid knitter, so it will be fun to pick up a new skill. The introduction goes over a lot of basic steps, and it seems like everything else is very detailed.

This book was also given to me by a friend who works for the publisher, but this review is my own opinion.
Katharine
I really like this one. As a beginner, the directions and photos are very easy for me to follow. I've tried several crochet books from the library and I keep comic back to this one. The only thing I'd change is the size. It's big and I have to set something on the book to hold it open. I'd really prefer it around 8" tall with a spiral binding so it would be easier to carry around.
Lisa
Apr 05, 2011 Lisa added it
I'm trying to teach myself how to crochet, so I can't really rate this book in good conscience (I stink at trying to teach myself anything from a book -- others might fare better than me). I think anyone who has the basics down will find this book inspiring, as there are loads of pretty stitches to try and lovely motifs to make. Lovely pictures.
Lil' Grogan
Interesting stitches and techniques that I haven't yet seen in books (but have seen online). CHARTS!! and written patterns, lovely big photos. Seems quite comprehensive in presenting different stitches.

However, would have liked more about the finishing details, mechanics, etc.. on crocheting.

Great book to have as inspiration for projects.
Medungan
This books seems like the crochet encyclopedia. The pictures aren't as helpful as in Chicks with Sticks but is more whole in what it offers. There are so many stitches and patterns that I'm sure this will be my go to book for questions or new projects.
GoldenjoyBazyll
May 04, 2013 GoldenjoyBazyll added it
Shelves: craft
Borrowed this book from a friend and have probably held on to it a little 2 long because I am constantly using it. Easy to read directions and interesting stitch patterns! Learned to make a 4 leaf clover and other neat motifs!
Darlene
I didn't exactly read this marvelous book. More/less just looked at the great illustrations. But I loved it and wished I had it in my own personal library. Too bad it is due back now and I couldn't renew it.
LibraryLady
Excellent resource for all things crochet. Great photos of the stitches with clear explanations of how to execute them. Nice introduction to the craft and tools needed for various types of crocheting.
Jen
Sep 26, 2011 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
This is a fantastic crochet book! LOTS of stitches and projects in this book. I've learned a couple of things and I hope to learn more from it.
Carol
Teaching myself to crochet. I searched many many books to find one clear enough for me to learn from. This one looked the best. Love it!
Nikki
I love this book. I began crocheting again and this book helped me learn to read patterns, new stitches, etc.
Jec
wonderful book...excellent stitch descriptions...beautiful photos...clear concise instructions....a keeper
Dana Wright
This book has great photos and how to's to take you anywhere you want to go in crochet. :) Loved it!!!
cecilia
i love it the book shows patterns and what the abriasions i recomend it to anyone that whats to crochet
Hilary
I am learning to crochet using this book. Lots and lots of pictures, and directions are pretty simple.
Melanie
GREAT BOOK with lots of photos! Considering buying this one. Got it from the library.
Ilene
Excellent reference book for novice to advanced crocheters. Must add to your library!
Mona
Great book with clear pictures, written directions and charts
Kcastro
Jul 21, 2011 Kcastro marked it as to-read
Shelves: crochet
page 225, 119 and more
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Elya
Elya marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Cathyd
Cathyd marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet  (Leisure Arts #15906) (Donna Kooler's Series)
  • Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Scarf Style
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • Embroidered Effects: Projects and Patterns to Inspire Your Stitching
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Creative Doodling & Beyond
From her Ravelry Profile: I have been knitting and crocheting forever. I am a mother and grandmother, and a great grandmother. I design, teach, and write books. My first book was published in 1978, and I just completed my 19th book In addition to the books, I have 2 independently produced video’s/dvd’s, and 3 self published entrelac crochet patterns. My flicker name is MHDesigner. I love it all!

I...more
More about Margaret Hubert...
The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting: *All You Need to Know to Knit *The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Knitters *Packed with Hundreds of Crafty Tips and Ideas *Step-by-Step Instructions and Photos for 200 Stitch Patterns Plus Size Crochet: Fashions That Fit & Flatter Hooked Scarves: 20 Easy Crochet Projects Hooked Bags: 20 Easy Crochet Projects