Start by marking “Sacred Stone (Oregon Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sacred Stone (Oregon Files, #2)

Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  6,592 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
Clive Cussler debuted his new series, The Oregon Files, with the incredible adventure of Golden Buddha. Now he follows that triumph with Sacred Stone, a rollicking new tale featuring the enigmatic captain of The Oregon, Juan Cabrillo.

In the remote wastelands of Greenland, an ancient artifact possessing catastrophic radioactive power is unearthed. But the astounding find pu
Audio CD
Published October 5th 2004 by Brilliance Audio

Christine
NOt up to par with Cussler's usual work; I was confused at the start (and repeatedly throughout the book) as to who was who with the huge cast of characters. Several times one of the bad guys would be in an obvious trap only to reappear elsewhere with no description of how he got away. I really enjoyed the first Oregon files book, but this one made me look to see who Cussler co-authored with. Is he going the way of James Patterson (who I no longer read as his co-authors write abysmally). Guess I ...more
Muzaffer
Apr 17, 2013 Muzaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read two Oregon Files by Cussler and Jack du Brul before and they were awesome. This one cowritten by Craig Dirgo unlike the rest of the series except Golden Buddha. And you see the difference obviously between two co-writers. Jack Du Brul does a much better job. Still a Cussler book. Joyful, thrilling, lots of knowledge about spying, aviation, sailing, etc.
Anna
Apr 23, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"- Head and shoulders - said King by radio.
- Shampoo? - asked Adams.
- No - King replied - I'm gonna shoot this bastard there. In the head and shoulders."

Good part but here's too little of Cabrillo, who's I personally love. Big pluses for Elton John concert and his lines, and Hotel California by The Eagles - who read the book knows what I mean ;)
Giuls
Dec 25, 2016 Giuls rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo è il primo libro di Cussler che leggo dove il protagonista non è Dirk Pitt.
E devo proprio dirlo: mi è mancato.
Juan Cabrillo non mi è sembrato un protagonista all’altezza di Pitt (probabilmente ha a che fare con il fatto che Pitt sia stato il mio primo book-crush, o come si dice, e figura ancora nella lista degli uomini che vorrei fossero reali). L’ho trovato, come dire… meno d’impatto, più spento. In alcuni punti come se non ci fosse.
E poi mi sono mancati i continui riferimenti al mare, a
Carol
May 12, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all 11 of the books in the Oregon Files series and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one. This was a reread and I have to say the fast-paced action of this story, the crew of the Oregon, and the details the authors pay to the historical and factual settings make this one of my absolutely favorite series. On a lighter note…. something that rather amused me was that at the beginning of the book, Eric The Red needed two men to lift the meteorite when it was first discovered. Centuries l ...more
Brenda H
May 14, 2016 Brenda H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit concerned when I started this as many of the reviews commented on it being disjointed and hard to follow due to the large number of characters but I actually found that it worked well. The storyline was structured with multiple discrete episodes that each was pulled into the main storyline as needed.

the story itself was a fun, easy read with spy action and thriller components. I am looking forward to getting to know the crew of The Oregon better as I definitely see the people, and th
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient natives find a meteorite and build a shrine, a possible pathogen could be released from the destruction of said meteorite that would consume the oxygen in our air (and a really cool lab experiment gone awry that discovered that) seems to be a page turning premise as far as I'm concerned. Sprinkle in some middle eastern intricacies, some rocking cool military turned private contractors and it seems like story with something for everyone.

Alas, if the author could have blown up a few more t
Eadie
May 10, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This is the 2nd book in the Oregon Files and was a very enjoyable read. It is easier to follow the plot and more interesting than the first book, The Golden Buddha. The only problem I had with this book was that some of the incidents seemed a bit unrealistic. Even with this problem, I would have to say that the book still is a great adventure read. The characters are unique and the plot is exciting. I will definitely continue with this series and look forward to reading the next installment.

4.25
Jose
Aug 26, 2012 Jose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cussler-clive
To be honest i kind of liked the idea of someone in the world trying to make a terrorist attack to the muslims... although and don't get me wrong... I think it will be something wrong to do... and not all muslims are terrorists.. but it was kind of fun to think about it at least... Other than that I feel that the book is better than the first one and it had better plot. The only thing that gets me is how they win all their fights... maybe in future books they will have some upsets... this series ...more
Kevin Marsh
I did not care for this book much. I found the writing style strange and the plot not up to the usual Clive Cussler standard. At times I found the quality of writing poor with words repeated regularly in the same paragraph. It reminded me of a badly written self published book in need of some serious editing.
I usually thoroughly enjoy reading Clive Cussler books, especially featuring Dirk Pitt so I won't let Sacred Stone put me off.
Denise Matysek
The action was fast as promised. However, it distracted from the development of the main characters-- especially those in the corporation. The plot was sloppy toward the end and I did no longer believe that it made sense. There was so many characters that it was hard to keep track of everyone. It did help that the author had a list and explanation for each character. I would have liked to have known more about main character, Juan Cabrillo .
Randy
May 02, 2016 Randy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book I've ever read, 54 plus different characters is a few to many. Sometimes he would change characters four times on one page. I stayed confused the whole book. The best part about the book was the very beginning and when I finished it. All of the other Clive Cussler books I have read have been good books, but I was disappointed on this one.
Mar 03, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one as well as the first, but still a good read.
Alexis Stephenson
Good book. can be quite a page turner during action sequences. However too many characters to keep track off. Also goes into POV and backstories of characters the are not needed. For example, the drunk guy who lends him a snow vehicle.

Also not a fan of how he likes to start chapters without identifying the character until a few paragraphs in. Also enjoys finishing early chapters with a reference to the ending. "little did he know that it would be his downfall". "he didn't know the next doctor he
Emilia
Jun 07, 2017 Emilia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining adventure and it was written in a way that almost made it feel like watching a film. This was apparently the second book of a series, but I had no problem following the plot or the characters even tough I sort of jumped right into it.
A nice in-between-books book to read something different for a change.
Kate
May 16, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading stories by Clive Cussler. This is the second one about Juan Cabrilla and the Oregon Files. There are several interrelated plots that come together in the end. This is a story worth reading. I got this book from our local library!
Jrs
Jun 15, 2017 Jrs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had less than 100 pages left in the book and gave up on it. L had no interest in how it ended.
Sue
Mar 01, 2017 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the others I have read.
Barbara Pelosi
Disappointment

Of all the Cussler books I've read, this is a major disappointment. There are way too many characters. The plot line...actually there were two plot lines...was so boring that the book was overflowing with "filler text". i.e., pages upon pages of dreary scene descriptions. etc. I make a point of finishing every book I start, and that was a hard rule to follow with this book...but I did finish it. Yawn.
Darren Lott
Mar 19, 2017 Darren Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent fast paced story.
Chris Mcgowan
(Audiobook Feb 2017) - The first in this series held my attention much better. Maybe the hijinks and impossible jams are getting old? I do find it interesting to see the Oregon team make on the fly adjustments to adapt and correct and get the job done. I think part of the issue was the narrator seemed to use similar inflections for multiple characters which I think I just lost track of at times on my commute. Perhaps I need to give it a month or two before I re-visit the next in this series.
Fred Hughes
Dec 14, 2011 Fred Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book in Clive Cussler’s Oregon Files series we find the Corporation up against an antagonist who seems to have unlimited funds, world wide resources to draw on, and connections in multiple key nations throughout the world. Has the Chairman Juan Cabrillo met his match ?

STORY ATTRIBUTES:

ORIGINALITY (standard, high, stellar) – HIGH – the twist and turns are epic

ACTION (none, some, lots) – LOTS – catch your breath if you can because the characters are non stop on the gas from start to
Jake Chinitz
Oct 24, 2012 Jake Chinitz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up the Clive Cussler book Sacred Stone, I was sure that I would enjoy it. I had every reason to: I had read another series by the same author and loved it. This book was not at all like the ones I had previously read, though. The premise was similar, with a man saving the world from a sort of, but not quite realistic danger. In many cases, the villains possess a particular object to carry out destruction. The books were full of action, adventure, and mystery. This book, however, wa ...more
Kara Jorges
Aug 04, 2011 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clive Cussler retains his title as the grandmaster of adventure fiction in the second installment of the Oregon Files, stories of the adventures of the covert organization, the Corporation. While the plot was more complex than in Golden Buddha, the first Oregon Files book, we have less of a glimpse into who our protagonists are. The book is nonstop, high-adrenaline fun, however, as our Corporation friends anchor off Reykjavik, Iceland, on assignment to protect the Emir of Qatar, when a call come ...more
Edwin Kort
Jun 05, 2016 Edwin Kort rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, audioboek, 2016
Tweede deel uit een serie van elf boeken in de Dossier: Oregon serie.

Dit boek is nogal verwarrend, en zeker niet een van Cussler's beste werken.

De Oregon is een state-of-the-art oorlogsschip vermomd als een oude stoomboot. Niemand zou ooit denk dat het bemand is door voormalige militaire en special forces agenten, die bekend staan als The Corporation, onder leiding van Captain Juan Cabrillo.

Een meteoriet land na een miljoenen jaren durende toch op Aarde en wordt in het 1000 door Eric de Rode in
Sarah Muckerheide
 Olivermagnus
Sacred Stone is the second of the Oregon Files novels. The Oregon is a state-of-the-art warship disguised as an old tramp steamer. No one would ever guess that it's manned by former military and special forces operatives, who are known as The Corporation, headed by Captain Juan Cabrillo.

The story starts in Greenland in the year 1000 when Eric the Red discovers a radioactive meteorite that tragically affects his group. A thousand years later it's rediscovered by an archaeologist, which sets off a
Michael
Jun 05, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

" Sacred Stone" By Clive Cussler is an action sci-fi realistic fiction book in which we witness the expedition of a pilot of the "Oregon" as he and his team try to retrieve an ancient meteor from falling into the wrong hands of both a terrorist group and an evil organization. The story is confusing for a reader of my level, which I believe should have been done better as for more readers to want to read the book. The plot is brilliantly told but some of the locations are fake and really off. The
Andy
Nov 14, 2013 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first Oregon Files stories, the writing is still fresh and the style a bit different - presumably due to the co-author. A lot going on in this one… maybe too much for one book. If this story idea would have come come up later, I bet it would have been made into 2 books. Anyway, we have a terrorist trying to blow up London and a terrorist trying to destroy important Islamic sites. The terrorists trying to blow up London are your garden variety fundamentalist extremists. They, of course ...more
William
Feb 09, 2011 William rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Again, this is a Clive Cussler book that is not written by Clive Cussler, but by Craig Dirgo. Dirgo needs to study Clive's method more carefully, and learn to focus on one set of main characters, and not fifteen; more action; slightly more plausible plot. Hey, I can accept Cussler's often asinine plots, but this one just had so many holes in it that I thought I was reading a piece of Swiss cheese. The heroes / villains alike would formulate these incredibly elaborate plans to accomplish a goal t ...more
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Dark Justice (Sean Dillon, #12)
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • Clive Cussler
  • The Soldier Spies (Men at War, #3)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

The Oregon Files (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1)
  • Dark Watch (The Oregon Files, #3)
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)
  • The Jungle (The Oregon Files, #8)
  • Mirage (The Oregon Files, #9)
  • Piranha (The Oregon Files, #10)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)