Start by marking “Love and Rockets, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Love and Rockets, Volume 1

Love and Rockets, Volume 1 (Love and Rockets #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,225 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The original, seminal Love & Rockets comic book series, which ran for 50 issues from 1981 to 1996, singlehandedly defined the post-underground generation of comics that spawned Daniel Clowes, Chris Ware, and so many others. Now collected into 15 volumes, Love & Rockets is a body of work that The Nation has described as "one of the hidden treasures of our impoverish ...more
Published October 1st 1985 by Fantagraphics Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Rockets, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Rockets, Volume 1

Bryan
Love and Rockets is the comics series closest to my heart. What is truly wonderful about L&R is that it is a comic in the old fashioned form. An ongoing storyline about a groups of characters that goes on for years and years. It isn't as enclosed as a graphic novel and was never intended to be. These are human stories, unfolding at the pace of life.

Which is why I prefer this 15 volumes of trade paperbacks over the current collected editions. First of all, the size is correct. The new collect
Lucy
I was all "HEY I SHOULD PROBABLY BECOME FAMILIAR WITH LOVE AND ROCKETS" and this book was all "YOU HAVE A DISTINCT FEELING THIS IS GOING TO BE INTERESTING AND WORTH YOUR TIME, BUT HERE IS A NOT TOTALLY AWESOME BUT STILL GOOD INTRODUCTION TO THESE STORIES." I am excited to read more, but saddened because I do not have infinite gift certificates with which to buy the other volumes.
Todd N
While my wife and friends were at a play (that I skillfully got out of attending) I spent two hours browsing at Bookbuyers in Mountain View. I exercised tremendous restraint by only buying two Love and Rockets compilations and one history book.

I love the Love and Rockets comics, and I completely admit that I slept on them in the 80s. But I intend to catch up on them now.
Bill
I was introduced to Los Bros Hernandez nearly 25 years ago. The impact of meeting the two touchstone characters: Maggie and Hopey, has had a lasting impact on my psyche. Maggie Chascarillo, a gifted apprentice “Pro-solar Mechanic” in the earlier fantasy-oriented storylines, and Hopey Glass, a feisty anti-authoritarian punk dykette, [who also happens to be Maggie’s on-again, off-again lover] they are the touchstones but Love and Rockets is more than a universe, its a multi-verse.

The story-lines c
Jim
This is the second "Love and Rockets" book that I've read. I read #3 first, because the library didn't have #1 or #2 on the shelf at the time.

I have become a huge fan of Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez's work. I loved this book.

Jaime's work is gorgeous and goes great with his story. His artwork is classical and reminds me of 50's and 60's serial strips like Steve Canyon, Tarzan and the like. The story line is right out of a 50's B movie. Loved it!

I know know why the books are called "Love and Rocke
D.M.
As the jacket blurb says: 'It starts with the first glimpse of Maggie and Hopey and ends with the first glimpse of Palomar.' Carter Scholz's 1985 introduction to this volume of Hernandez material from '81-'85 really speaks alot about the endurance of Love & Rockets. It's probably hard to imagine now, if one were to come to the material fresh (this is at least my third time reading the books, since the early '90s), the state of comics in the mid-'80s, but it was pretty bleak. There are VERY f ...more
D.M.
This collection of sketches, unpublished work, and errata came out early in the run of the original Love & Rockets comics (and books). It's divided between Jaime's & Gilbert's separate work, with a band-flyers section between the two. Jaime's section certainly shows more of a sketchbook quality, with pencil drawings and multiple rough versions of his eventual characters. Gilbert's has more full-page, completed work, and more unpublished strips (mostly quite clearly influenced by Heavy Me ...more
Chris
I don't think I'll bother to add them all, but the entire run of Love and Rockets, the seminal black and white comic from the Hernandez brothers, is great. Found these in high school, and the art and the stories are like nothing else, beautiful black and white line art and day in the life stories from the LA barrio or a Spanish-speaking country, with some other fantastic stories thrown in. The brothers have their own storylines and characters that they stick to, and follow their characters throu ...more
Raven Encinas
something I'm going to have to read again and again. I love the subtle science fiction parts. It normalizes it and doesn't is truly a world of its own.
Lindsay Eanet
Stunning artwork; liked some of the stories more than others. Overall a solid introduction to the series; definitely makes me want to keep going.
Alannah
Jan 15, 2008 Alannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: indie comics fans, Dan DeCarlo fans, anyone who loves amazing art and great storytelling
This is graphic novel is the whole reason I set foot into a comic book store. My friend John lent me his entire L&R collection and I read through them in a week or so. I then had to run out and buy my own copies & each new issue thereafter. My instant love of Jaime Hernandez's art made complete sense after I read an interview and found that his main influence was Dan DeCarlo (Archie comics). As a child/teenager, Archie was my favourite thing to read. Anyway, I don't think the Hernandez b ...more
Kimberly
This classic continues to re-surprise and re-vitalize.
I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did.
Barry
I was really disappointed with this book. In fact, I almost put it down several times--the only reason I plowed through was because of its reputation. Aside from two of the stories, the rest were pretty uninteresting. Sometimes the artwork was hard to follow as well. It definitely does some interesting things with gender and traditional expectations for comics, but it was so dry and pulpy that anything interesting was covered under layers of drudgery. And I was really excited about reading the w ...more
Jenn
Read the entire series, it's magic.
Osvaldo
I am reading Love & Rockets for an independent study as part of my PhD course work. I have never read it before, but it has been on my list for a long time and this seemed like opportunity to do it. How could I have slept on this so long? The art is fantastic and the stories are weird and all over the place, but I don't mind being made scramble a bit to understand what is happening. The BEM story arc is great and weird and the Mechanix epistolary portion with Maggie's story is a bizarre mash ...more
Lauren Levine
As one of the first comics from the alternative comics era during the 1980’s, it presents the urban, Latino California punk scene. The artistic style used in “Love and Rockets” was much inspired by Alex Toth, who worked on the Zorro comics for Disney, as well as popular “Archie” comics and “Betty and Veronica” stories. By mixing realism and an iconic drawing style, Hernandez creates an intricate world that Maggie and Hopey live in, giving the reader a chance to step inside and see themselves in ...more
Mari
Amazing graphic novel. There just isn't another one like it. Its very touching, and very funny, and never over the top. Although Fables has become my favorite comic read, this is still the second...and I only read two!
Lindsay
A classic book so I had to give it a shot. I loved half of the stories. Mostly the ones by Jamie Hernandez. His artwork style and sci-fi stories were more interesting to me. In all it was kind of a hard read. Very very wordy and I didn't totally understand the endings (which was actually ok) and they used some Spanish slang that I couldn't find explanations for even online. In all it was oddly entertaining but I had to force myself to read it. Won't stop me from book 2 though.
Kiera
The Hernandez brothers' styles are beautiful and nicely contrasted in this collection. This was my first taste of Love and Rockets and a good way into them. It certainly won't be my last.
Kaethe
My roommate loaned me his comics to try to bring my taste up-to-date. I didn't really get into the Hernandez series though. I had more luck later with Cerebus Book 01: Cerebus and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
William Clemens
I didn't make it through this book. While I found some of the weird stuff interesting, I just didn't care about any of the main characters. Perhaps they get better if you read more, perhaps I didn't spend enough time trying to understand the book or perhaps it's just not for me.

The art was good for the most part, but I didn't really like the hyper-sexualized way all the females were portrayed and nothing beyond that really stood out for me.
Fábio Fernandes
Love and Rockets helped shape my generation. Reading it now after so many years (I remember I first heard of it when I was in university, back in 1988 - how time flies!!), I can't help but feel nostalgia. Those were the days.
Summer
This book is an interesting one - it seems so different in tone from Los Bros's later works, but the artwork is so solid, and a lot of what makes them great is visible - Jaime's punk rock aesthetic and keen character building, Beto's zany sci-fi weirdness and great world building. It's a little depressing seeing how the latter brother has deteriorated in art and writing skill, though.
Steve
The artwork is fan-freakin-tastic and the "Mechanics" story/diary is great. The "Somewhere in California" story seemed weak in comparison. I like the Sci-fi element in this. It's kinda what I imagine the future would look like if the future took place in 1982. I'm definitely on board for the rest of this series.
Dan Wilson
This is the first Love & Rockets book. I liked the art, and I know Love & Rockets was a big deal in terms of making room for indie cartoonists, but I did not find the stories all that compelling. I intend to read a few more L&R books to see if they either get better or start to grow on me. I hope so.
Becka Robbins
I was warned, but didn't listen when Eli told me that this book was just a beginning, that there wasn't much story cohesion, and that I should have started later in the series. I do want to see how the characters and plots come together later, though. Lesbians, robots, gods and superheros, oh my!
Kirsten
This collection was more than a little hit-or-miss for me, but since a lot of people have recommended Love & Rockets to me, I'm going to give the next few volumes a try. I did really love the artwork, but the lack of any real overarching plotline left me a little befuddled.
Ian
This is the first "Love and Rockets" collection... and it's not very good. The one thing that redeems it is a short Palomar story from Gilbert Hernandez at the end. If you have ever thought of getting into Love and Rockets, do not start with this book.
Rebecca
Love Jaime Hernandez's line work and characters. Found in 1987/1988 sometime. Very different than any other comics that I had read up to that point. Was a big Archie's fan and this was more realistic/surrealistic. Odd but a good combination.
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 7: The Death of Speedy
  • Funny Misshapen Body
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • X'ed Out
  • Hey, Wait...
Gilbert and his brother Jaime Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".

Gilbert Hernandez, born in 1957, enjoyed a pleasant childhood in Oxnard, California, with four brothers and one sister. In Gilbert’s words, they were “born into a world with comic books in the house.” His childhood enthusiasm for the medium was equaled only by his appetite for punk rock.

Initiated by ol
More about Gilbert Hernández...

Love and Rockets (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 2: Chelo's Burden
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 8: Blood of Palomar
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 9: Flies on the Ceiling
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 10: X
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 11: Wigwam Bam
Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories Heartbreak Soup Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 Sloth Love and Rockets: New Stories #3