Start by marking “Love and Rockets, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Love and Rockets, Volume 1

Love and Rockets, Volume 1 (Love and Rockets #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,520 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The original, seminal Love & Rockets comic book series, which ran for 50 issues from 1981 to 1996, singlehandedly defined the post-underground generation of comics that spawned Daniel Clowes, Chris Ware, and so many others. Now collected into 15 volumes, Love & Rockets is a body of work that The Nation has described as "one of the hidden treasures of our impoverish ...more
Published October 1st 1985 by Fantagraphics Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Rockets, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Rockets, Volume 1

Lucy
Jun 24, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was all "HEY I SHOULD PROBABLY BECOME FAMILIAR WITH LOVE AND ROCKETS" and this book was all "YOU HAVE A DISTINCT FEELING THIS IS GOING TO BE INTERESTING AND WORTH YOUR TIME, BUT HERE IS A NOT TOTALLY AWESOME BUT STILL GOOD INTRODUCTION TO THESE STORIES." I am excited to read more, but saddened because I do not have infinite gift certificates with which to buy the other volumes.
Bryan
Love and Rockets is the comics series closest to my heart. What is truly wonderful about L&R is that it is a comic in the old fashioned form. An ongoing storyline about a groups of characters that goes on for years and years. It isn't as enclosed as a graphic novel and was never intended to be. These are human stories, unfolding at the pace of life.

Which is why I prefer this 15 volumes of trade paperbacks over the current collected editions. First of all, the size is correct. The new collect
Todd N
Apr 22, 2009 Todd N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While my wife and friends were at a play (that I skillfully got out of attending) I spent two hours browsing at Bookbuyers in Mountain View. I exercised tremendous restraint by only buying two Love and Rockets compilations and one history book.

I love the Love and Rockets comics, and I completely admit that I slept on them in the 80s. But I intend to catch up on them now.
Karen
May 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read these in the late 1990's. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now. I don't understand the high marks for these books. I won't be reading any more from Gilbert Hernandez. Overated.
Bill
Jun 16, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Los Bros Hernandez nearly 25 years ago. The impact of meeting the two touchstone characters: Maggie and Hopey, has had a lasting impact on my psyche. Maggie Chascarillo, a gifted apprentice “Pro-solar Mechanic” in the earlier fantasy-oriented storylines, and Hopey Glass, a feisty anti-authoritarian punk dykette, [who also happens to be Maggie’s on-again, off-again lover] they are the touchstones but Love and Rockets is more than a universe, its a multi-verse.

The story-lines c
Jim
Apr 05, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the second "Love and Rockets" book that I've read. I read #3 first, because the library didn't have #1 or #2 on the shelf at the time.

I have become a huge fan of Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez's work. I loved this book.

Jaime's work is gorgeous and goes great with his story. His artwork is classical and reminds me of 50's and 60's serial strips like Steve Canyon, Tarzan and the like. The story line is right out of a 50's B movie. Loved it!

I know know why the books are called "Love and Rocke
William Clemens
Jul 09, 2012 William Clemens rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't make it through this book. While I found some of the weird stuff interesting, I just didn't care about any of the main characters. Perhaps they get better if you read more, perhaps I didn't spend enough time trying to understand the book or perhaps it's just not for me.

The art was good for the most part, but I didn't really like the hyper-sexualized way all the females were portrayed and nothing beyond that really stood out for me.
Arsnoctis
Dopo aver letto diverse pubblicazioni che lo citano con entusiasmo e dopo averne sentito parlare per anni, riesco finalmente a prendere in prestito questo volume in modo da poterlo leggere a mia volta:

In poche parole questo volume è coraggioso e arrabbiato, proprio come un adolescente preso nel suo momento peggiore.
La storia non è uniforme, anzi è frammentata in diversi episodi con diverse protagoniste; l'unico filo conduttore del volume è che al centro delle vicende troviamo sempre delle figure
D.M.
Apr 29, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the jacket blurb says: 'It starts with the first glimpse of Maggie and Hopey and ends with the first glimpse of Palomar.' Carter Scholz's 1985 introduction to this volume of Hernandez material from '81-'85 really speaks alot about the endurance of Love & Rockets. It's probably hard to imagine now, if one were to come to the material fresh (this is at least my third time reading the books, since the early '90s), the state of comics in the mid-'80s, but it was pretty bleak. There are VERY f ...more
D.M.
May 22, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of sketches, unpublished work, and errata came out early in the run of the original Love & Rockets comics (and books). It's divided between Jaime's & Gilbert's separate work, with a band-flyers section between the two. Jaime's section certainly shows more of a sketchbook quality, with pencil drawings and multiple rough versions of his eventual characters. Gilbert's has more full-page, completed work, and more unpublished strips (mostly quite clearly influenced by Heavy Me ...more
Summer
This book is an interesting one - it seems so different in tone from Los Bros's later works, but the artwork is so solid, and a lot of what makes them great is visible - Jaime's punk rock aesthetic and keen character building, Beto's zany sci-fi weirdness and great world building. It's a little depressing seeing how the latter brother has deteriorated in art and writing skill, though.
Dan Wilson
Jul 11, 2015 Dan Wilson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
This is the first Love & Rockets book. I liked the art, and I know Love & Rockets was a big deal in terms of making room for indie cartoonists, but I did not find the stories all that compelling. I intend to read a few more L&R books to see if they either get better or start to grow on me. I hope so.
Fábio Fernandes
Jan 08, 2014 Fábio Fernandes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Love and Rockets helped shape my generation. Reading it now after so many years (I remember I first heard of it when I was in university, back in 1988 - how time flies!!), I can't help but feel nostalgia. Those were the days.
Chris
Mar 24, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I'll bother to add them all, but the entire run of Love and Rockets, the seminal black and white comic from the Hernandez brothers, is great. Found these in high school, and the art and the stories are like nothing else, beautiful black and white line art and day in the life stories from the LA barrio or a Spanish-speaking country, with some other fantastic stories thrown in. The brothers have their own storylines and characters that they stick to, and follow their characters throu ...more
Raven Encinas
May 17, 2014 Raven Encinas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
something I'm going to have to read again and again. I love the subtle science fiction parts. It normalizes it and doesn't is truly a world of its own.
Lindsay Eanet
Stunning artwork; liked some of the stories more than others. Overall a solid introduction to the series; definitely makes me want to keep going.
Alannah
Jan 15, 2008 Alannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: indie comics fans, Dan DeCarlo fans, anyone who loves amazing art and great storytelling
This is graphic novel is the whole reason I set foot into a comic book store. My friend John lent me his entire L&R collection and I read through them in a week or so. I then had to run out and buy my own copies & each new issue thereafter. My instant love of Jaime Hernandez's art made complete sense after I read an interview and found that his main influence was Dan DeCarlo (Archie comics). As a child/teenager, Archie was my favourite thing to read. Anyway, I don't think the Hernandez b ...more
Mark
May 22, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So as a catch-all for he entire series, this is one of the greats.
Kimberly
Nov 19, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This classic continues to re-surprise and re-vitalize.
I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did.
Barry
I was really disappointed with this book. In fact, I almost put it down several times--the only reason I plowed through was because of its reputation. Aside from two of the stories, the rest were pretty uninteresting. Sometimes the artwork was hard to follow as well. It definitely does some interesting things with gender and traditional expectations for comics, but it was so dry and pulpy that anything interesting was covered under layers of drudgery. And I was really excited about reading the w ...more
J. I.  Rogers
Aug 15, 2014 J. I. Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read the entire series, it's magic.
Osvaldo
Jan 01, 2011 Osvaldo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading Love & Rockets for an independent study as part of my PhD course work. I have never read it before, but it has been on my list for a long time and this seemed like opportunity to do it. How could I have slept on this so long? The art is fantastic and the stories are weird and all over the place, but I don't mind being made scramble a bit to understand what is happening. The BEM story arc is great and weird and the Mechanix epistolary portion with Maggie's story is a bizarre mash ...more
Arf
Mar 20, 2016 Arf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
es un mundo extraño...
Lauren Levine
Oct 11, 2013 Lauren Levine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
As one of the first comics from the alternative comics era during the 1980’s, it presents the urban, Latino California punk scene. The artistic style used in “Love and Rockets” was much inspired by Alex Toth, who worked on the Zorro comics for Disney, as well as popular “Archie” comics and “Betty and Veronica” stories. By mixing realism and an iconic drawing style, Hernandez creates an intricate world that Maggie and Hopey live in, giving the reader a chance to step inside and see themselves in ...more
Mari
Jan 17, 2014 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing graphic novel. There just isn't another one like it. Its very touching, and very funny, and never over the top. Although Fables has become my favorite comic read, this is still the second...and I only read two!
Ra7vindra
Nov 28, 2015 Ra7vindra is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
jj
Lindsay
Nov 11, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantagraphics
A classic book so I had to give it a shot. I loved half of the stories. Mostly the ones by Jamie Hernandez. His artwork style and sci-fi stories were more interesting to me. In all it was kind of a hard read. Very very wordy and I didn't totally understand the endings (which was actually ok) and they used some Spanish slang that I couldn't find explanations for even online. In all it was oddly entertaining but I had to force myself to read it. Won't stop me from book 2 though.
Kiera
Mar 28, 2014 Kiera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hernandez brothers' styles are beautiful and nicely contrasted in this collection. This was my first taste of Love and Rockets and a good way into them. It certainly won't be my last.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My roommate loaned me his comics to try to bring my taste up-to-date. I didn't really get into the Hernandez series though. I had more luck later with Cerebus Book 01: Cerebus and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 7: The Death of Speedy
  • Frank, Vol. 1
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • The Bradleys
  • Local
Gilbert and his brother Jaime Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".

Gilbert Hernandez, born in 1957, enjoyed a pleasant childhood in Oxnard, California, with four brothers and one sister. In Gilbert’s words, they were “born into a world with comic books in the house.” His childhood enthusiasm for the medium was equaled only by his appetite for punk rock.

Initiated by ol
More about Gilbert Hernández...

Love and Rockets (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 2: Chelo's Burden