Start by marking “A Sherlock Holmes Handbook” as Want to Read:
A Sherlock Holmes Handbook

A Sherlock Holmes Handbook

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Here in one convenient book by a noted Sherlockian scholar is everything needed for the study and enjoyment of the Holmes canon: information on the stories and their publishing history; an assessment of a century of illustrators; a biography of Arthur Conan Doyle and a bibliography of his other writings; commentary on the films and plays about Sherlock Holmes; synopses of ...more
Published July 25th 1993 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Sherlock Holmes Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sherlock Holmes Handbook

An Odd1
Feb 13, 2012 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sherlock Holmes Handbook" by Christopner Redmond. Excerpt
4* More readable than the average text-reference. Starting with the books, delving into minutiae, 12 pages extremely small print index fortifies the reference usability. I picked a few books to follow up, besides Laurie King. Sections detail author, characters, setting, themes, film, radio, cartoons, fans, games as early as 1904, music as early as 1897 Scottish Students' Song Book. In youtube video, check out the illustrations, her shirt
Bob
May 17, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing
“A must for any Sherlockian library” and similar phrases seem to appear a bit too often. The Canon can be enjoyed without 100 accompanying books next to it on your shelf. However, there are a few books that stand head and shoulders above the rest and really should be read to greatly increase your Holmes experience.

Christopher Redmond has written one of them. The Canadian, who maintains the internet’s leading Sherlock Holmes website, Sherlockian.net, is a well-known Sherlockian and Baker Street
William
May 31, 2016 William rated it really liked it
Well-researched and nicely written examination of the character in various media, especially the original canon. It's been a few years since I spent any time with my Complete Sherlock Holmes; this book makes we want to revisit the stories.
Portia Costa
Mar 20, 2011 Portia Costa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Sherlock Holmes studies
I very much enjoyed the early part of this book, which contained a lot of interesting material about the actual Sherlock Holmes stories, characters, settings and background, as well as an overview of late Victorian era in which the stories are set.

But I must admit to skimming a very great deal in the later part of the book, which covered the cult of Sherlock Holmes, and was more about Sherlock Holmes clubs and societies, and the books and studies written by their members.
Rozonda
Oct 07, 2010 Rozonda rated it it was amazing
This is a source of pure enjoyment for all Sherlockian freaks like me. A comprehensive guide to everything Holmes-related up to the 1990s-history, society, characters, pastiches, movies,plays...and an extense, serious biography of Conan Doyle. Seriously and intelligently written, I would love a new edition that gets to the Internet era, with all its valuable sources.

Edited October 2010- I have found out that such a new edition exists and I'll be sure to get it ;)
Julia
I skipped some sections that were not of interest, but overall, I quite enjoyed this handy reference to all things Sherlock.
Chloe
Chloe added it
Jun 30, 2016
Catia
Catia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Przemekw
Przemekw is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Deniz
Deniz added it
Feb 03, 2016
David Ruffle
David Ruffle rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Chloe
Chloe added it
Oct 26, 2015
Tim Symonds
Tim Symonds rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Tasha
Tasha added it
Sep 30, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
dawna
dawna added it
May 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Tinneal
Tinneal is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Abby Squire
Abby Squire marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014