Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #4)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,100 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The world tour is over. It ended abruptly and tragically, with deaths and hard decisions. After returning home to Westchester, the X-Men attempt to continue on, bringing normalcy back to their lives as best they can, opening the school to students once more. However, just as everything settles back to the mundane, Jean Grey's life shifts towards the bizarre. Her mental bar...more
Published October 11th 2006 by Marvel (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4

Tym
This is one of those times where you realize how much art really does contribute to the story in graphic novels. The artists on this book are very different. Adam Kubert is an artist that goes for a fairly realistic style with sometimes a bit cartoony or at least low-detailed panels however part of this was done by another artist (their name escapes my mind) and their art reminds me nothing more than a bad saturday cartoon, and the colorist for the artist did nothing to help with almost no shadi...more
Kenne Morrison
As a portion of the Ultimate X-Men collection, this is important to read. However, it's not one of my favorite. The art changes in the middle, and while I'm okay with art changes, not to the extreme of this one. The two art styles are totally different and jarring. As individual issues of the comic, it might not have been such a big deal, but when reading this as a whole story, it totally takes you out of the story.
Hima-chan
Personalmente me ha gustado mas que los anteriores. Me parece estupendo haber visto que los X-Men no son tan infalibles como se presentan habitualmente. Especialmente el Profesor X y Bestia, ya que son estos dos los que "mas daño" se llevan.

Por un lado esta el Profesor Xavier que despues de lo ocurrido en la gira mundial se siente un fracasado y de alguna manera decide dejar "libre" a Magnegto, mas que nada para que las cosas vuelvan a un status quo (sin Magneto de por medio la historia no es qu...more
Kiersten
While I think the story is decently interesting and certainly well-played-out, and the artwork is generally fabulous, I'm not all that pleased with some of the character paths they're choosing to take...namely, Cyclops is way too spastic emotionally to be even close to the same character, Storm's flat-out whiny (neither she nor Cyclops really show any kind of leadership ability even though they're sort of next down the chain of command after Xavier), and...what about Professor X? There's definit...more
Federiken Masters
Oct 12, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor y la serie.
Recommended to Federiken by: Completismo
Y finalmente termino la famosa etapa de Millar en Ultimate X-Men y el resultado es... Normalucho, como todos los otros tomos. Quizás este me haya gustado un poco más que el promedio, pero tampoco es tan distinto. Como tya leí el tomo siguiente, sé que el supervillano recontramalo y resentido que aparece al final de este va a terminar fracasando ooootra vez, pero hay que reconocer que la escena de su regreso está bastante buena. Yendo a la historia de este tomo en sí, la premisa de Fénix como fue...more
Charles
Yves
Les problèmes qu'avait Jean Gray lors de son adolescence sont en train de revenir. Elle a des hallucinations et se sent près de perdre la tête. Ceci fait l'affaire du Hellfire club qui attend le retour de Phénix qui se réincarnerait dans Jean Gray.

Ce n'est pas le meilleur tome de la série mais c'est quand même très bien. J'aime bien les dessins de la série sauf quand c'est Kaare Andrews qui dessine car je n'aime pas du tout son style plus enfantin.
Chris
Talyseon Talyseon
One of my least favorite of the Ultimate X-Men because they waste The Hellfire Club. Ah, well. Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men Volume 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
Kzee Mikols
What a good volume. I never really know anything about the Hellfire Club before reading this. I knew that Shaw was part of it because of X-Men First Class but that's pretty much it so it was cool to see that whole thing introduced. Too bad that was it for old Sebastian Shaw. I've also never read anything with Kitty in it and she's kind of fun.There was so much going on there at the end that I just had to finish it. I knew Magneto was coming back eventually but still scary stuff. I really think h...more
Nailmouth
It's been a long time since I've read any 'superhero' comic-books, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading this and subsequent volumes.

With interesting writing and good artwork, the 2001 reboot does an adequate job of providing an artful retelling of the X-Men origin saga, without tarnishing the memory of the original.

Recommended for old fans or newcomers to the story, definitely a fun read.
Ben Nealis
hmmm a good book but the way they displayed beast when he was chatting online with blob was just plain WRONG! i will tell you now that are going to be spoilers galore.first of all bringing back Sebastian Shaw in the hellfire club and then giving jean grey/marvel girl the phoenix force is just 1 this was just a great book i would recommend this to all x men fans. WOLVERINE out.
Zach Danielson
Boo. The art's pretty bad and the writing isn't much better. The Phoenix and Hellfire stories pale in comparison to their main-continuity counterparts.

At least it gets better in the next volume: Ultimate X-Men Vol. 5: Ultimate War
Alberto Carlos
Probablemente lo peor de la etapa de Millar... y la inclusión de Ultimate War me ha extrañado ya que lo suyo hubiera sido juntarlo con El Retorno del Rey (que me parece una saga más que decente) aunque supongo que habrá sido cosa de paginación.
Jeff Raymond
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Molly
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Michael
This is one of the better arcs so far. Jean's Phoenix is dangerous and dark, but not fully explored like it should be. Still, this has been the best, so far. I hope to read more like this.
Steven Laverty
An interesting twist on the classic Phoenix character. Great to see more focus on character as it adds more weight to the infrequent (but inevitable) action sequences.
Orrin Grey
This is about the point when Beast drops off the (very short) list of "characters in this series that I don't want to punch in the mouth."
Shaun
This was a good read. I had read the first three volumes of Ultimate X-Men and this was a pretty good continuation of the story.
Coty
Though I loved the introduction to The Phoenix the change of art in the middle completely ruined the story arch for me.
sixthreezy
Not the best volume, but still pretty good. The Ultimates vs. The X-Men next!!!
Aaron Swensen
The art is bad and the stories were boring.
Declan
Weak introduction of the pheonix.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 9: The Tempest
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus...more
More about Mark Millar...
Superman: Red Son Kick-Ass Civil War Wanted The Ultimates