Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #4)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,415 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The world tour is over. It ended abruptly and tragically, with deaths and hard decisions. After returning home to Westchester, the X-Men attempt to continue on, bringing normalcy back to their lives as best they can, opening the school to students once more. However, just as everything settles back to the mundane, Jean Grey's life shifts towards the bizarre. Her mental bar ...more
Published October 11th 2006 by Marvel (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4

Sesana
Jun 22, 2016 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Somewhat disjointed. There aren't really any good stories, so much as there are good partial stories. I'm thoroughly bored with the tension between Cyclops and Wolverine in any universe, so that was a bit boring to me. Including Kitty livened up the story a bit, and it was certainly needed. The Hellfire Club shows up, very briefly considering that the name of the group is the title of the volume. And they're fine, but I could have done with more of them. I am, however, interested in seeing where ...more
Kimberly
Jun 30, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
As an ongoing series, this has been quite the ride so far. There are parts of these storylines that are so familiar to me that were presented in completely different ways. Definitely love the Ultimate versions of these characters. I wish there was more Rogue and Gambit though to be honest. But what can I say? I'm a 90's X-Men fan. And if the 90's was anything, it was the age of Rogue and Gambit.
Tym
This is one of those times where you realize how much art really does contribute to the story in graphic novels. The artists on this book are very different. Adam Kubert is an artist that goes for a fairly realistic style with sometimes a bit cartoony or at least low-detailed panels however part of this was done by another artist (their name escapes my mind) and their art reminds me nothing more than a bad saturday cartoon, and the colorist for the artist did nothing to help with almost no shadi ...more
Kenne Morrison
Apr 30, 2010 Kenne Morrison rated it it was ok
As a portion of the Ultimate X-Men collection, this is important to read. However, it's not one of my favorite. The art changes in the middle, and while I'm okay with art changes, not to the extreme of this one. The two art styles are totally different and jarring. As individual issues of the comic, it might not have been such a big deal, but when reading this as a whole story, it totally takes you out of the story.
Kris Morris
Jul 09, 2015 Kris Morris rated it it was ok
boring. and they take one of the best x villain groups and just...ugh. by far the worst ultimate book ive read outside of ultimates 3.
Josef Turner
Jan 31, 2016 Josef Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-marvel
The artwork really let's this one down, making an already somewhat flimsy story probably the worst of Millar's run. Oddly enough, the quality of the story matches the artwork, all the story beats when Kubert isn't pencilling are quite a bit weaker.

Here we get the Ultimate Hellfire Club (for about 2 issues) and the proper introduction of Ultimate Phoenix. The Hellfire Club aren't mutants or strippers this time round, which is something I don't particularly mind, though it's a bit sad to see Seba
Edward Cheer
Apr 25, 2016 Edward Cheer rated it liked it
I'd give this a close second best to "World Tour", but I'm still surprised how much Millar has been recently repressing his annoying Millar-isms. Don't get me wrong, the dumb jokes are still there, but they've been significantly reduced and his character-writing has greatly improved.

I liked the new focus on Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean and their further development. Hell, I even liked the almost gag-story for Beast, that ends on a very sour tone for him. I liked the discussion on the X-Men's eth
Hima-chan
Sep 21, 2015 Hima-chan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, x-men, marvel
Personalmente me ha gustado mas que los anteriores. Me parece estupendo haber visto que los X-Men no son tan infalibles como se presentan habitualmente. Especialmente el Profesor X y Bestia, ya que son estos dos los que "mas daño" se llevan.

Por un lado esta el Profesor Xavier que despues de lo ocurrido en la gira mundial se siente un fracasado y de alguna manera decide dejar "libre" a Magnegto, mas que nada para que las cosas vuelvan a un status quo (sin Magneto de por medio la historia no es qu
Kiersten
While I think the story is decently interesting and certainly well-played-out, and the artwork is generally fabulous, I'm not all that pleased with some of the character paths they're choosing to take...namely, Cyclops is way too spastic emotionally to be even close to the same character, Storm's flat-out whiny (neither she nor Cyclops really show any kind of leadership ability even though they're sort of next down the chain of command after Xavier), and...what about Professor X? There's definit ...more
Feather Mista
Oct 12, 2011 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor y la serie.
Recommended to Feather by: Completismo
Y finalmente termino la famosa etapa de Millar en Ultimate X-Men y el resultado es... Normalucho, como todos los otros tomos. Quizás este me haya gustado un poco más que el promedio, pero tampoco es tan distinto. Como tya leí el tomo siguiente, sé que el supervillano recontramalo y resentido que aparece al final de este va a terminar fracasando ooootra vez, pero hay que reconocer que la escena de su regreso está bastante buena. Yendo a la historia de este tomo en sí, la premisa de Fénix como fue ...more
Charles
Yves
Jun 22, 2014 Yves rated it really liked it
Shelves: bd, superheros, x-men
Les problèmes qu'avait Jean Gray lors de son adolescence sont en train de revenir. Elle a des hallucinations et se sent près de perdre la tête. Ceci fait l'affaire du Hellfire club qui attend le retour de Phénix qui se réincarnerait dans Jean Gray.

Ce n'est pas le meilleur tome de la série mais c'est quand même très bien. J'aime bien les dessins de la série sauf quand c'est Kaare Andrews qui dessine car je n'aime pas du tout son style plus enfantin.
Davy
Dec 20, 2014 Davy rated it it was ok
Mark Millar's attempt on the Phoenix-storyline is really dissapointing. The script is not original (Hellfire Club, Phoenix growing inside of Jane). While in the classic story of Dark Phoenix all goes wrong, the Phoenix in this story just seems to be a kind of illness happening to Jane, (too) easily dealt with. Only the online "dating" between Beast and the Blob is really funny and has a dramatic end...
Chris
Feb 06, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Leila Anani
Talyseon Talyseon
One of my least favorite of the Ultimate X-Men because they waste The Hellfire Club. Ah, well. Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men Volume 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
Annette McIntyre
Jan 30, 2016 Annette McIntyre rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Life is always a battle if you have mutant powers, and Kitty Pryde discovers that even those at Prof. Xavier's school for the gifted is no different
Kzee Mikols
May 08, 2012 Kzee Mikols rated it really liked it
What a good volume. I never really know anything about the Hellfire Club before reading this. I knew that Shaw was part of it because of X-Men First Class but that's pretty much it so it was cool to see that whole thing introduced. Too bad that was it for old Sebastian Shaw. I've also never read anything with Kitty in it and she's kind of fun.There was so much going on there at the end that I just had to finish it. I knew Magneto was coming back eventually but still scary stuff. I really think h ...more
Winston Durant
May 13, 2015 Winston Durant rated it really liked it
Two words: Kitty Pryde
Matej
May 07, 2016 Matej rated it liked it
The fourth volume of Ultimate X-Men is, like the previous volumes, not bad, but not great either.
This volume feels like an in-between volume, the plot is split between the aftermath left after the last volume and preparation for the next one, and that is the main reason I haven't rated it higher.
The art is still great and fits the story and the mood rather well.
I am kinda disappointed by this series and this may be the last volume for me.
Nailmouth
Dec 27, 2012 Nailmouth rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've read any 'superhero' comic-books, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading this and subsequent volumes.

With interesting writing and good artwork, the 2001 reboot does an adequate job of providing an artful retelling of the X-Men origin saga, without tarnishing the memory of the original.

Recommended for old fans or newcomers to the story, definitely a fun read.
Ben Nealis
Dec 19, 2012 Ben Nealis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
hmmm a good book but the way they displayed beast when he was chatting online with blob was just plain WRONG! i will tell you now that are going to be spoilers galore.first of all bringing back Sebastian Shaw in the hellfire club and then giving jean grey/marvel girl the phoenix force is just 1 this was just a great book i would recommend this to all x men fans. WOLVERINE out.
Zach Danielson
Boo. The art's pretty bad and the writing isn't much better. The Phoenix and Hellfire stories pale in comparison to their main-continuity counterparts.

At least it gets better in the next volume: Ultimate X-Men Vol. 5: Ultimate War
Alberto Carlos
Probablemente lo peor de la etapa de Millar... y la inclusión de Ultimate War me ha extrañado ya que lo suyo hubiera sido juntarlo con El Retorno del Rey (que me parece una saga más que decente) aunque supongo que habrá sido cosa de paginación.
Jeff Raymond
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 22, 2016 DeAnna Knippling rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some of the parallel-universe storylines are too close to the originals and feel tired. This was one of them...not a huge fan of the art, either. A different title, maybe. Just felt weird here.
Jedhua
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate X-Men issues #21-25.

{2.5/5 stars}
Michael
Jun 05, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is one of the better arcs so far. Jean's Phoenix is dangerous and dark, but not fully explored like it should be. Still, this has been the best, so far. I hope to read more like this.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 9: The Tempest
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People