Start by marking “Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds” as Want to Read:
Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds

Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Brooklyn 1977. April Lundquist lives in Dyker Heights, a neighborhood populated by the Mafia. Three hit men live on her block:
Francesco "Frankie the Crunch' Consiglione, Vincent "Gorgeous Vinny" Persico, and Salvatore "Soft Sal" Luciano. When Soft Sal approaches April and her best friend, Brandi Rinaldi, for a favor, well . . . the girls can't refuse.

But does the favor, al
Published March 10th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds

Lindsay
I LOVED this book!! Every chapter created a vivid image in my head. I think the author did an amazing job with this book. Just to warn you it does end in a cliffhanger.
The main character (April) is telling the story from her point of view.
"I awoke with a start and realized my mother was in Matt's room screaming at the top of her lungs."
The fact that the author and the main character have the same name was actually an accident. She used her name to get in touch with her inner fourteen year old
Rebecca
Brothers, boyfriends and other criminal minds is about a girl named April, unfortunatly she has a cuple of serious prblems going on right now. April ( ape, monk or chimp how her old brother calls her) is totally in love with Dominick a bad boy, but her best frien Brandi sets her up with a dude named Bert that she has never seen in her life. And also a man who's in with the mob (they are neighiboor) he asks for a favor, if Brandi and April could walk he's son Larry to school and back; you know to ...more
Erin Forson
April, is a sassy freshman who is the family "misfit" in Dyker Heights, a.k.a. Mobster Central, but lucky for her she has a good head on her shoulders and avoids situations that might get her "whacked." Her brother, however, isn't that bright. He is in love with Bettina Bocceli, daughter of "Bobby the Bull" who doesn't take kindly to outsiders, and he's not smart enough to quit the relationship. As if this weren't complicated enough, April is suddenly faced with her own dilemma. Who to date? Not ...more
Liviania
BROTHERS, BOYFRIENDS, AND OTHER CRIMINAL MINDS is April Lurie's semi-autobiographical tale of growing up in a Brooklyn neighborhood populated by made men and falling in love with a Dominick. However, she made quite a bit up in order to deliver an interesting and exciting story.

If you're into books about relationships, you should definitely consider finding yourself a copy of BROTHERS, BOYFRIENDS, AND OTHER CRIMINAL MINDS. April Lundquist has a plethora of suitors: Dominick, her brother's friend
Lucy
Mar 26, 2008 Lucy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wednesday Wars fans, Mafia fans
It’s 1977, and April Lundquist lives on the same block as three murderers. Not the scary, mask-wearing movie murderers, but three Mafia hit men. When Soft Sal Luciano, the hit man across the street, asks April and her best friend Brandi to do him a favor, April knows she can’t refuse. But does this mean that she and Brandi are working for the Mob? It’s just a favor, but then, why are crisp hundred dollar bills appearing between the pages of her books?

April’s not sure, but she knows one thing for
Kinsey
When I first started reading this book, the fact that it was set in the 1970s threw me off a bit. Despite this, I ended up really enjoying the book. Some of the things that happened seemed a little implausible but overall the story kept me interested until the last page.
Julie
Apr 11, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls in high school
Set in Brooklyn, 1977, April Lundquist lives on a street of mobsters. She's trying to figure out who she is and who is the right guy. I believe that April Lurie wrote what she knows! (gin rummy, Welcome Back, Kotter and tennis).
Jo
I just re-read Brothers, Boyfriends & other Criminal Minds and had forgotten how much I loved this book the first time. This book is all about relationships, the relationship between April and her best friend Brandi, the relationship between April and her brothers Matt and Sammy (love, love, love Sammy), the relationship between April and Larry there are so many more but you get the point. I love it when a book drags you into the middle of a story where all these relationships are already es ...more
Lyn
Fourteen-year-old April Lundquist lives in a nice Brooklyn neighborhood that is home to a number of well know mobsters. Three hit men live on her street alone although you’d never know they were dangerous. They go to work each day in Armani suits and Gucci loafers.

April has a taste for horror. She spends most of her summer reading books by Edgar Alan Poe, Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock. Ninth grade gets off to a dubious beginning when Soft Sol, their neighbor across the street, requests a fav
Kate
I know it seems weird that i finished this book the same day that i finished the clique but i did.

This book was really good but it was more advanced tan some other books that i have read. I loved every page of this dramatic romance and the mob addition was a real hit to me. I would recommend this to any girl in 5th or 6th grade. It is about this girl, April, who's brother is dating a girl that has a father that works in the mob and doesn't want his daughter dating April's brother. Her brother
Elaine
Kricket
cute story about growing up in brooklyn in the 70s. april lundquist, though tall, blond, and scandanavian, lives in an italian neighborhood with a handful of mobsters. when she starts walking larry luciano, son of soft sal luciano, to school, she starts finding enormous bills in her school books. is she doing business with the mob? meanwhile her older brother matt is dating the daughter of another mobster, and gets a mysterious black eye. is matt on their blacklist? april also explores her hobbi ...more
Alysha Speer
Seana
Mar 13, 2008 Seana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a litte bit of chick lit. Mystery and romance
Recommended to Seana by: myself!
This book was awesome! It was really funny, and kpet you on the edge of your seat. It's about a girl named April who lives in a neighborhood with several mafia men. When Soft Sal Luciano asks April and Brandi to walk Lari to school they just think it as a favor. But when $100 bills start showing up in their books, they get a little worried. To make matters even worse, her older brother Matt is dating a very strict mafia man's daughter. They hear noises in the trunks of cars, and really start to ...more
Brittany
Can someone tell me how to read on this thing please!!!!!
TheSaint
I couldn't help but thinking that this is Historical Fiction! And I am the same age as the main character in this book! I didn't grow up in Brooklyn, but I did have access to the media, so yes, I understood all of the pop culture references that the author painstakingly provides. Welcome Back Kotter, anyone?
This is a harmless little tome, hoping to appeal to young fans of The Sopranos, if that hasn't fallen off the pop culture radar by now.
Caroline P.
This book was amazing. I loved it so much, but I really didn't like Dominick, he just seemed bad, especially after what he did to April. I think Little Joe is so much better than Dominick, even after the beach. Soft Sal surprised me, he was very different from my image of what I expected a mobster to be, and he was so good to Matt. Frankie the crunch and "Georgous Vinny" were more of classic mobsters.
Noura H.
Dec 31, 2007 Noura H. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like chick lit.
This book was really good. It's about this girl named April who lives in a neighborhood populated by the Mafia in the summer of 1977. She and her friend Brandi take a responsibility in helping a son of a crime boss, Soft Sal, get to school everyday. After that, they mysteriously find hundred dollar bills in their textbooks and April's brother Matt being beaten by the Mafia for dating a mobster's daughter.
Ambar
This book was very interesting and entertaining...but there were a couple things I wasn't crazy about,like for example I wish April would have set Dom straight and confronted him instead of just hide from him but I guess some girl act different that others. And also the ending didn't quite feel like an ending to me.But overall I enjoyed this book and it brought a smile to my face.
Jason
This one was another great coming of age story, complete with mobsters, 70s music and fashion, and that groovy Brooklyn setting. I place it only slightly behind Dylan Fontaine, and that's probably just because this one's told in first person from a girl's point of view so I don't relate quite as well (having never been a teenage girl the way I was a teenage boy!)
Amy Reck
hmm, I read this because I had just finished another book, and that one was really intense, so I picked up this one thinking it would be an easy read, you know a teenager book no big deal. But i got sucked into it. It was really good. Of course, it was a teenager book and an easy read, but it made me so happy. And nothing can beat a book that sucks you in.
Allison W
Brothers Boyfriends and Other Criminal Minds was a great book about 16 year old April and her bf Brandi falling in and out of love. April falls in love with 2 people and has a few guys crushing on her. She lives with the mob and her brother gets mixed up with a few mobsters and their daughters. I would recamend this book to a adult addiance.
Marilyn
Jun 04, 2008 Marilyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th - 8th grade girls
It was okay, then it got better, then it was just okay. I didn't like the constant references to all things 70's like John Travolta, disco, The Who, etc. Lurie hits us over the head with these: totally not necessary. This bookis billed as a romance but anything romantic is so mild it comes across as dull. Very, very tame.
Mrskay Kay
Loved this one. The relationship between brother and sister was touching--after my sister took me to see The Shining when I was 10 years old, my brother was there for me to sleep in his room every night for the next year. But I digress--I also thought it was very clever to have them perform Romeo and Juliet.
Lina
This book was loaned to me by a friend's cousin, who i'm friends too, who got it from the library... Read it over the summer and it couldn't have been a better fit for the season. A good laugh is what I needed for a lonely while my friends were occupied with weddings and other family stuff... I got it.
Swee'tea
I really LOVED this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a really girly book, too. I think that most pre-teen and teenage girls would like it!!!!!!!!! It only took me a few days to read, well, I read most of it when I was home sick. But, yeah it was great!!! It was like a princess story sort of!!!!!!!!!
Mary Ann
This book is perfect for teenagers. the author writes much like a teenager would talk, and the plot has a lot of events that might happen to a teenager. i especially liked having the mafia in the story because it added a twist. overall this book is good, and i reccomend it.
Sofia Diaz
Alicia
OMG!!! i finally found the book!! i remember reading this book last year but i could not remember the title i could just recall that it had a hot pink cover and that the name of the author was april! i finally found it!!! :) i LOVED this book!
Tori
i have just started this book, and it is drama like never before. at the part where they just told us who the theives names are on the corner of each street. and trying to figure out who her brother is dating. she had just found out that day.
  • What I Meant...
  • Pieces of Georgia
  • Dark Water Rising
  • What the Moon Saw
  • The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney
  • The Sweetheart of Prosper County
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Zen and the Art of Faking It
  • ADHD and Me: What I Learned from Lighting Fires at the Dinner Table
  • Bull Rider
  • Bone by Bone by Bone
  • The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
  • Rich Girls (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #2)
I have the best job in the world - I write books for teens. I'm a former nurse, a native New Yorker, a wife, and a mother of four. I live near Austin, Texas, with my family, and I'm currently working on my next novel.
More about April Lurie...
The Less-Dead The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine Dancing in the Streets of Brooklyn