Start by marking “In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning” as Want to Read:
In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning

In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,362 ratings  ·  80 reviews
The best way to teach is to learn together with the students. One of the rare breed of teachers who do know this is Nancie Atwell.
- The New York TimesReading this book can be revolutionary. . . . Atwell leads us to new understandings of teaching and learning in a workshop classroom.
- Voices from the Middle When first published in 1987, this seminal work was widely hailed
Paperback, Second Edition, 546 pages
Published February 11th 1998 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Middle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Middle

KFedwards
Dec 14, 2007 KFedwards rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I don't talk to people
Nancie Atwell's prose puts me in a state of pure bliss that can only be equated to the magical migration one experiences while playing The Oregon Trail on a green screen Apple II.
Cara
The book had a lot of good information I can use on teaching English, but some parts were more useful than others. My review focuses on the information in the text related to teaching writing, event though there is a significant amount of information related to the reading workshop.
The least helpful part had to be the chapter on evaluation since Atwell's experience, publications, and charter school allow her to evaluate in any way she sees fit without having to answer to public school adminis
Dr. Bruce
This book is the by far the best book I've ever read! Nancie Atwell discusess so many strategies teachers can use to be as effective as possible. I plan to use many of them this year with my 6th grade langauge arts students...I know they're going to be so excited about it!
Jessica Fisher
Sarah Lodwick
ENG 315 – M 4p

In the Middle by Nancie Atwell
Read Share: Book Review

“Surviving adolescence is no small matter; neither is surviving adolescents. It’s a hard age to be and to teach.” (p 53). Nancie Atwell understands the many challenges young adolescents face as well as the challenges their teachers face. Atwell has been an educator for 37 years, specializing in middle level education. Atwell later founded the Center for Teaching and Learning in Maine, whi
Jessica Fisher
Sarah Lodwick
ENG 315 – M 4p
September 21, 2010

In the Middle by Nancie Atwell
Book Review

Michael Wolf
I don't think I will ever truly be "done" with this book, this referendum, consortium of knowledge experiences from viable collaborations between students and teacher. The constant pattern to take away is the exposition of theme and written accompaniment to demonstrate the succinctness of intent and idea gleaned from her tasks and assignments to the ongoing growth of her writers-becoming-authors. All of the excerpts and full length pieces are worth their fair share of the read as they demonstrat ...more
jacky
There are close to 75 books on my "college" bookshelf. I bought almost all of them. This is one that I wish I had bought because I think it would be far more useful to me now than all those paperback novels and plays. I had to read this as part of my student teaching program. Although some of the ideas were excellent, I didn't see it as being practical then. Now, even though I think that Atwell's school is idealistic and doesn't even mention many of the daily problems I face, I subscribe to her ...more
Annie
As far as writing programs go, hers is one that I absolutely adore and want to incorporate into my classroom (maybe next year?). She has more freedom as a private school teacher than I do (blast those SOL tests), but there are definitely ideas that I can use. Her biggest push - and one that I particularly want to explore - is her idea of choice. As teachers, we feel that we need to give parameters for everything to ensure that students follow directions and experience as few "lost at sea" moment ...more
Amy
a classic, but harder to implement Atwell's teaching style than she lets on.

This is the central problem of a lot of teaching books: teachers can be great at explaining what they do, but not as good at thinking about what's easy to adapt and what isn't. If only I had an encyclopedic knowledge of books and infinite patience for writing letters back to each student too!
Mallory
My first exposure to the workshop model. She gives a basic outline, an brief description of how she implemented it in her classroom, changes made over time, and then student anecdotes. She obviously is in an ideal setting being that she teaches at a school she helped to found.

Useful: Giving students more choice in their writing (increase motivation), use of portfolios, drafting writing in front of students, exposure to many genres, practice with lit. devices/syles in their own writing.

Not so re
Angela
Read in order to learn more about the concepts of reading workshop and writing workshop. Atwell's stories are inspiring, and her organization and examples were really helpful. Concepts and strategies needed to be adapted for a high school setting, but worth learning from one of the best in the field.
Stephen
Atwell describes an appealing approach to reading and writing. To some teachers, the approach can seem quite daunting for their situations. Dan Rothermel simplified Atwell's approach for his middle school classes and wrote Starting Points: How to Set Up and Run a Writing Workshop (Paperback) describing his modifications. Now, he uses his modifications with pre-service teachers in the Department of Education at UNE.

We are discussing how to use technology to support the approach. Noelle Richard,
Jennelle Zarn
If you are an English/Language Arts teacher at any level, you absolutely MUST read this book! It is one of the few college textbooks I purchased and kept and continue to use as a reference on a regular basis.
Jo Gallagher
One of the most important books I have read to influence my teaching and learning in a workshop model for the teaching of reading.
Freya
There's some great stuff in here, but I recommend getting the older edition, as there is far less anecdotal stuff. As a caveat, this woman does not work in a public school, and, thus, some of her recommendations are not realistic. On a personal note, when I attended her conference and asked, "Well, what do you do about reluctant writers?" her reply was an incredibly terse, and unrealistic, "By even asking that question, you are allowing reluctant writers in your classroom." Actually, the state k ...more
Liz B
Jul 11, 2007 Liz B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ALL English teachers (not just middle school)
When students see themselves as readers and writers rather than students of reading and writing, they start to care. When they care, they grow tremendously. If you try this approach in your classroom (which I obviously recommend), you have to modify it to fit your style and your students' needs...and you really need to jump in and DO it, and be willing to wait for results. I usually start to see enormous leaps in writing in January, but increased proficiency in reading starts showing up as early ...more
Rachel Terry
Atwell's method of teaching middle school English seems to be ideal. She combines kids' social needs with writing and reading skills as the kids are individually as kids are ready for each new skill. I like her term "writer's welfare" for the teaching method of always assigning students topics to write on. She's a big proponent of ownership. The kids have to own the ideas in order to really be interested in them. I liked that she gave very specific examples from her classes for each teaching ide ...more
Tiffany
Lots of usable stuff in here. I put quite a few things in practice immediately.
Steve
Reading this with my English Education students. It's as amazing as I'd always heard, and now I want every writing teacher, grades K through graduate school, to read it! It's not only chock full of great philosophy and strategies for teaching writing and reading, but also crammed with interesting writing by Atwell and her students. We would truly have a writing revolution if all teachers learned from this book and became as thoughtful and dedicated, as respectful of young writers and readers, as ...more
Margaret Grabowski
Great overall principles; I love the connection between reading and writing workshop. However, not many of the ideas were novel if you've read other books on reading and writing workshop - Atwell focuses on the format of workshop (minilesson followed by independent worktime and conferencing), as well as on what to teach and how to teach it. If I had discovered this as my first professional book though, I would have been in love!
This book has great ideas -- is the go-to book, in fact -- on reading and writing workshops. The problem with it is that we could all teach like Nancie Atwell if we ran our own schools. The teachers reading these books are held accountable to high-stakes testing and teaching to the test -- a very different day-to-day teaching scenario than Atwell. Aspects of her work are implementable in public schools, but they have to be tempered with the real demands faced by public school teachers.
Kathie
Despite an open mind and the new edition, I am overwhelmed, rather than inspired. Nanci Atwell is far more organized that I will ever be; as a result, I see what she does and simply give up. I've tried taking one good thing and implementing it, and I have some success...but to do it all? I shake my head, thinking, "No way." Atwell acknowledged that issue in the new edition, but that, with 70% new material, was too much. I guess I need more focused professional development books.
Abbi Dion
This book was taught in a graduate-level Education course called Teaching Composition. Atwell's model was presented as the antithesis of the Structured Process model (AKA "the best way of teaching ever"). I actually found the Atwell model to be more exciting (which is admittedly irrelevant), genuine, and environmentally-based than the Structured Process model. That said, they both have much to offer. And Atwell's writing is fascinating as a kind of memoir.
Leanne
Feb 07, 2015 Leanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Leanne by: Lolene
Shelves: teaching
Nancie Atwell is a hero to me. I wish I could just transfer a tiny amount of her experience and knowledge into my own brain. I'm trying to copy some of her teaching methods, but I swear somehow her 90 minute classes last longer than mine. She actually does get to teach the same students for two years . . . I'd love to keep my present sixth grade LA group another year. Anyway, the book outlines, what is to me, the ideal way to teach language arts!
Ami
Nancie Atwell is one of my heroes in the world of teachers. I enjoy her humility and her writing style. Additionally, I am a huge fan of her educational procedures in reading and writing. My only complaint with the book is that it was revised over a decade ago. So many new books have emerged on the middle school front that it would be interesting to know if Atwell has come to use any of these more recent works in her classroom.
Mr. Z
I'm a big fan of Nancie Atwell and her way of teaching. This book is packed with ideas of lessons that center around developing a genuine appreciation of reading and writing among students. It's probably impossible for the average public school teacher to have the time to do everything she suggests but I'm sure there is time to incorporate at least some of her ideas, any of which would be beneficial for students.
Kathleen
This book saved my butt what when I was teaching middle school and was instrumental in my shift from education to composition for my graduate work. Atwell's approach teaching writing still holds up 30 years later. The tragedy is that the book may be less relevant to current public school teachers because of the current testing culture.
Chris May
Better than its first edition, this revises Atwells seminal book re:workshop strategies in middle school. Read this and then read her "Reading Zone" for further revisions she has made to her workshop strategies to make them more meaningful and managable. Every Middle school la teacher should read this.
Chandra
Nancie Atwell revolutionized my teaching AND my personal reading practices through this single work! If you teach middle school English Language Arts, you need this book to help you undo the damage of No Child Left Behind and to help you remember and clarify why you chose to teach English.
Catherine
The book would make an excellent addition to the reference shelf, but I was not up to the task of reading it cover to cover. I love Nancie Atwell's ideas, but she explains everything so fully in this book that I felt really bogged down by details. Best consulted on an as-needed basis.
GoodReads and Reading/Writing Workshop 1 16 Dec 15, 2007 12:49PM
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Teaching Adolescent Writers
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • After "The End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Craft Lessons
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons] Naming the World: A Year of Poems and Lessons [With "A Poem a Day" Book] The Reading Zone In the Middle