Start by marking “Krzyżacy” as Want to Read:
Krzyżacy

Krzyżacy

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,720 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Krzyżacy to powieść historyczna ukazująca dzieje Polski w XV wieku. Pisarz odwołał się do epoki wojen z Krzyżakami i jednego z największych tryumfów oręża polskiego - bitwy pod Grunwaldem, aby podnieść na duchu rodaków.
Published July 28th 2001 by Wydawnictwo Zielona Sowa (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Krzyżacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krzyżacy

Кристина
Страшно много ми хареса-толкова е близко до нас!
Barney Trotwell
Jul 18, 2014 Barney Trotwell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Polish history
This book was well written. The medieval theme appealed to me, and I enjoyed reading about medieval custom and war, about how things worked, and about duels and unrequited love.

That being said, the book provides a completely one-sided view of the events it describes. The Polish, whose side the writer obviously stands on, are always presented as living legends, strong like bulls and as honourable as humanly possible. Each and every one is extreme in his virtue, passion and valiance, while also h
Lora Grigorova
The Knights of the Cross: http://readwithstyle.wordpress.com/20...

If you are looking for a historical novel, probably the best choice is the Polish journalist and Noble-prize winner Henryk Sienkiewicz. Born in the Russian-ruled Poland in the middle of the 19th century, Sienkiewicz wrote most of his historical novels set during the Polish Republic or Commonwealth. What can be noted about him is his negative portrayal of the German knights of the cross. This idea is most evident in the historical
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
This is an entertaining read full of over-the-top romanticism and lots of cliche... but then, it is a child of its times. If you've read it then I strongly advise seeing the film which sticks closely to the book (the director could hardly drift away from what is a much loved book amongst the Poles). The film, also, is a child of its times; there's that great "Seig Heil" moment that puts the Teutonic assault on the Poles and Lithuanians in a historical setting!
Krzysztof Trelski
For me, this is a best book ever. It's well researched. Most events mentioned actually took place, you just have to look around. Because it was written in 1900 its language may be little out of date. Now you can read the latest translation on-line at: theteutonicknights.blogspot.com
Alex Chapay
W czasach Sienkiewicza źródeł informacji było nieco mniej niż dziś, a odnalezienie zapisów o Polsce XIV-XV wieków było szczególnie nieprostym zadaniem. Więc oddać szacunek autorowi trzeba przynajmniej za to, że potrafił tę wiedzę historyczną właściwie użyć i stworzyć daną książkę.
Od samego początku w oczy się rzuca starożytny język polski (który prawdopodobnie jest prawdziwą karą dla tłumaczy). Jako obcokrajowiec, miałem trudności z czytaniem tego dzieła, ale po kilku działach już nie przejmowa
Arcey
Historický epos z konca temného stredoveku, verne zobrazená doba plná klamstiev, predsudkov, mylne vykladaných skutočností a bitka o vieru za cenu krívd, krvi a spálenej zemi. Príbeh rytierov Macka a Zbyska z Bogdanca zachytáva šesť veľkých rokov pred bitkou pri Grunwalde. Autor získal za toto dielo Nobelovu cenu za literatúru a nie je sa čomu čudovať. Realisticky zobrazené životy v Poľsku, ktoré sužovala Rehoľa Nemeckých rytierov, ktorá na úkor pokrestančovania používala všetky prostriedky a pr ...more
Piet Michael
Jak tu zaczac? Byc moze o tak: Jestem Polonista, z tym ze zdolalem zdac egzaminy bez Sienkiewicza, z czego bylem szczesliwy, poniewaz mialem w zakamarkach okropna ekranizacje "Krzyzakow" z lat powojennych. Teraz, lata pozniej, mialem odwage i stwierdzilem, iz ksiazka nie jest wcale taka zla. Dlaczego? Dlatego, ze mozna ja takze czytac jako czysto przygodowa. Nie, nalegam nawet, zeby nie czytac jej z powodu historycznego, lub informacyjnego! Albowiem miary dziewietnastowieczne, t.j. nacjonalistyc ...more
Dilyana Georgieva
Първият ми истински исторически роман и... може би не съм създадена за такива.
Очарова ме простия наивизъм на героите и колко симпатично глупав е рицарят Збишко. Може би ми отне твърде дълго време да се преборя с романа, а може би наистина действието е малко мудно, не съм сигурна. Но в един (доста напреднал) момент откриваш едни неочаквани истини, които са по-големи от живота - за силата на преображението и свръхсилата на прошката.
Героите наистина ти лягат на сърцето, мъчно ти става дори и за т
Robert Martinez
Jun 09, 2008 Robert Martinez rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older poeple who care for history.
My mother started to read this book to me and my four siblings years ago. But we had an earlier version of the book that only had the first half of the story and was even under the title of "The Knights of the Cross". My Brother in-law lent me this book just last week and after about six years I finally finished the book.
Overall the book shows the times as they were, with all the Catholic superstitions, wars, death and struggles. Though I enjoyed the book I would not recommend the book to ever
☯Bettie☯
Read online

The Teutonic Knights was the official name of the military order located in the northern part of Poland. The “Knights of the Cross” is a direct translation of polish word “Krzyzacy” a nickname used by Poles because the knights of this order wore black crosses on their armor.

read
tbr busting 2012
online AND paper

finished skimming this via paperback 16/4/2012. It was chewy.

2.5*

Once recovered from this I may have a tilt at this: With Fire and Sword

ETA: have found the film instead: http://w
Walt
Despite the enormous size of this "Polish classic," it is a fast read. It is clearly a novel that spends a lot of time degrading the German knights.

Ignoring the obvious bias, the book does provide a fascinating glimpse into the late Medieval society of Poland - politics, economics, diplomacy, medicine, food, and entertainment are all presented in a near-authentic background to the lead characters and their adventures.
Anna
I had to read it at school. Later it was better. It's a story of Zbyszek of Bogdaniec who joins Polish forces in fight against Teutonic Knights in early 15th century. He meets Jurand of Spychów and falls in love wth his daughter. There's a despcription of Battle of Grunwald (in German sources known as 1st Battle of Tannenberg - 2nd one was 500 years later, 1914). Very good story, but the book is a little bit too thick.
Pēteris Paikens
Bija tīri labi - nekas pārāk īpašs, bet lasījās labi, strauji, interesanti. Autors uzcītīgi (pārlieku?) mēģina radīt viduslaiku atmosfēru ar detalizētiem sīkumu aprakstiem, nu un tajā kontekstā ir klasisks 'piedzīvojumu stāsts' ar varoņiem, kuriem patīkami just līdzi.

Vēsturiskumu gan bik čakarē strikti pārspīlētais labo/ļauno sadalījums, bet nu tas laikam 'varoņsāgām' piederas.
Nezka
I LOVED Sienkiewicz's QUO VADIS, but I could only get through a few chapters of the KNIGHTS. The writing style is just too simple for my tastes; this could have something to do with the translator of course. Shame, I was hoping to enjoy it.
Misericordia
Incredible, amazing novel! I cannot really explain what I liked most about it, but it accounted for lots of strong emotions I experienced while reading it.
I read it in Polish original version 'Krzyżacy' and Russian translation 'Крестоносцы'.
Timofey
Exciting story about the middle ages and the religiosity that people fell into. With strong historical ties to the crusades and the Polish role in them. Has romance, history, action, and all the good stuff, very well written.
carnival
Remaining a nightmare from my school times, the book turned out to be an ordinary medieval adventure story, when I read it again. I found the main character quite annoying with his exagerrated pride and exaltation.
Umut
That was a wonderful book,when I read it I feel that era and all those kinghts and other stuffs "BUT" author is sympathizer of Poland & Lithuania for this reason it's kinda like propaganda book...
Biblioworm
Очень неторопливое повествование, но далеко не такое увлекательное как у Дюма.
Збышек совершенно картонный и примитивный характер.
Kasia
Very good book about the beginning of Christianity in Poland and the control of Teutonic Knights (Germans) over the people.
Andrey
My all-time favorite book. Amazing story with a historical setting showing the what the Catholic faith really is.
Goethicus
A dramatic and stirring tale but also a flawed and partisan apologia for Poland's war on the Teutonic Order.
Rebecca
Paints a picture of the vileness of the Teutonic Knights, and delves into the Catholicism of Poland.
Abulabas
I read it when i was 13, still remember my first historical novel <3.
cliff
A good read but not in the same class as the trilogy.
Lucious Lizard
I will write a proper review once I have read it...
Abby
Not very good, perhaps, but I very much enjoyed it.
Kent
Amazing. It'll take a while to recover.
Kirk
3rd time through. Still a great read.
Teutonic Knights 1 7 Aug 30, 2013 08:46AM
  • Szatan z siódmej klasy
  • Noelka (Jeżycjada, #7)
  • Zdążyć przed Panem Bogiem
  • The Morality of Mrs. Dulska: A Play by Gabriela Zapolska
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • Kamienie na szaniec
  • Kordian. Część pierwsza trylogii. Spisek koronacyjny
  • Pan Samochodzik i Templariusze
  • Świat Króla Artura. Maladie
Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz (also known as "Litwos"; May 5, 1846–November 15, 1916) was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. He was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

Born into an impoverished gentry family in the Podlasie vi
More about Henryk Sienkiewicz...
Quo Vadis With Fire and Sword In Desert and Wilderness The Deluge Latarnik

“Poland! Poland! The very name carries with it sighings and groanings, nation-murder, brilliance, beauty, patriotism, splendors, self-sacrifice through generations of gallant men and exquisite women; indomitable endurance of bands of noble people carrying through world-wide exile the sacred fire of wrath against the oppressor, and uttering in every clime a cry of appeal to Humanity to rescue Poland.” 1 likes