Start by marking “Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)

Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  964 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Enslaved by King Kregant's army, Dar survived by befriending the fierce orcs who were also forced to serve. Now she has escaped-only to find that the price of freedom may be herdestiny.
Calling on her untried leadership abilities, Dar guides the surviving orc soldiers to the safety of their homeland-but the clan leaders refuse to accept her unless she can releasetheir quee
Published August 28th 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Clan Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clan Daughter

Zimt
This book is as good as the first. It was exciting and a page-turner.
I needed to know what would happen to Dar.
Will she succeed in bringing the five Orks home? What is her destiny? And can she make peace with Zna-yat?
The love-interest took a surprising turn for me, I just didn't expcet it or didn't think it possible. At first, I wasn't sure what to think, but since Dar is described as very happy and satisfied with it, I was able to accept it as well. In the end, I was rooting for them.
Still, I'm
Carolyn F.
This is book #2 of the Queen of the Orcs series and is slightly less dark as the first book. Dar and Kath-Mah become closer although there's really no hope of them ending up together. There's a confrontation rather than a battle between the Orcs and King Kregant, but this ends without a lot of bloodshed. The ending is a cliffhanger but not a horrible one that leaves you screaming. I've ordered book #3 from the library. Great book/series.
Fantasy Literature
After reading King's Property, the first book in the ORC series, I could see a lot of room for improvement.

The main character, Dar, was really hard to enjoy reading about and she was just a little too lucky a little too often for my taste.

Book two... Wow, can you say "more of the same"? And 80% of the book is a boring journey which sets the stage for interspecies love and actions on the part of the Orc mothers that totally contradicts everything we have been told about them. So, was the last 20%
Ana
Brownbetty
In which Dar learns (or rather, doesn't, but the book makes clear that,) the bad thing about matriarchies is that there may be power struggles between women.

Oh, book.
Hélène Louise
'Clan daughter' is a good sequel and transition book, with always the same rigorous way to expose the heroine's difficulties and choices. The manner by which she takes her new responsibilities are perfectible coherent and convincing: no silly shyness ('Oh, dear, I'll never be able to succeed, I'm just an ignorant girl, a nobody *tossing about her long hair*) or artificial perfection. All the story is cleverly designed, Dar's life, passed and more recent, always set the stage for the unusual and ...more
Dame
So I bought it just to try out my Kindle's buy feature. Got addicted, bought the final one. I really enjoyed this one and all of the culture..
Anorielt
Erster Satz: Nach frei Nächten einer beschwerlichen Wanderschaft hatte Dars Zorn sich abgekühlt.

Der zweite Band der Trilogie Königin der Orks unterscheidet sich wesentlich vom ersten Band Söldner. Nach der Schlacht im Tal in der der Großteil der Orks getötet wurde, reist Dar mit einer kleinen Gruppe in der auch Kovok-mah und sein Vetter sind in Richtung Norden. Sie hat den Orks versprochen sie nach Hause zu bringen und sie ist entschlossen dieses Versprechen zu halten. In ihrer eigenen Heimat wä
Jemma Gutierrez
I can't seem to start my review with anything but , Oh, My, God

I'm loving this series, it intrigues the hell out of me. First the twist- I'm usually the die-hard romantic kind of girl. I admit- a few months back the first thing I'd see in a book- if not the genre- is the romantic aspect involved. Is there romance involve? No? Ok, moving on!

Yes, i admit, it's kinda silly. But this book is too interesting, a lot of things are happening that i didn't give a damn about romance at all. So it was a
chucklesthescot
Having escaped from the army, Dar uses her visions and leadership skills to try to safely guide the Orcs to their homeland, hoping that she can live there with Kovok-mah, though not all the Orcs trust her or approve of taking her along. Her welcome once there is mixed and Kovok-mah's family want them seperated. Fearing for the future Dar goes on a quest to find and release the Queen of the Orcs from the very army that she has just escaped from, aware that her mortal enemy is looking for revenge. ...more
Lady Ethereal Butterfly
Clan Daughter is the second book in Morgan Howell’s Queen of the Orcs trilogy. This novel offers a change of setting for Dar and the surviving orcs that accompany her. Dar leads the orcs to their lands for safety and freedom, but she must return once again to the land of the king in order to liberate the orc queen who is being held there. It is essential that this trilogy be read in the correct order for complete comprehension of the story! The second book picks up right where the first book end ...more
Lucy Ritter
NOTE: Spoilers for King's Property.

After a battle in which the orc regiments and their human female servants were betrayed and slaughtered, human conscript Dar resolves to lead five surviving orc warriors back out of human lands where, if caught, she would be beheaded as a deserter, and the orcs burned alive as monsters.

Among them is the patient Kovok-mah, who protected Dar from the human soldiers and is teaching her orcish custom and language, believing she is chosen of the World's Mother to l
Kim
Hmmm. Hard to know what to say about this book that I didn't say about the first book in the series. And BTW, if you haven't read book 1 yet, this review will contain spoilers. . . although I should point out that the very title of this series, Queen of the Orcs, could be taken as a spoiler as well. Book 2, Clan Daughter, is a quicker read than the first book was, as if, having introduced his big ideas about otherness and acceptance, and established Dar as a survivor and rather kickass, Howell i ...more
Crystal
A great addition to the trilogy. I wasn't sure how the author would handle the orc/human relationship but it works for me. At times it seems like all the humans in the book are terrible, nasty beings not just the males. In this works that works. The only thing that doesn't make a lot of sense for me is that the Orcs have this sense of peacefullness, almost hippy-like at times with their view of the world yet would be brutal and murder/kill humans (which I get) but also dogs. I found that a littl ...more
Rachel
Honestly, two-and-a-half stars would be more accurate. The writing isn't up to par just in terms of structure and readability. The human characters are really wooden and uni-dimensional. I lost respect for the author a little bit when the book became more romance than actual story, especially since it was so jarringly badly done. Really.

Still, it had it's moments. The humor was nice, and always surprising and off-kilter. I really like Kovok-mah, although not as much as in the first book. The mat
Tyler
The first book in the series was quite good, but not spectacular. With Clan Daughter, the characters gain significantly more depth and the world fleshes out significantly. Well done.
Alex
I loved the first book In this series and was honestly even starting to accept the Orc/Human loving that I knew as inevitable in this book. Sadly the book feel over for me somewhere along the 3rd town or so that our cast of characters had visited; it was just a lot of walking and not a lot of anything else.

Honestly the kiss of death for this book for me was that I started to read ahead - something that usually happens when I'm looking for interesting parts in the upcoming chapters. After skimmi
Delicious Strawberry
My major issue with this book is that it should have been published with the first book as one volume (with Royal Destiny as book 2 in a duology) But this book was still a very good read, and a worthy continuation of Book 1. Morgan Howell has proven herself good at world-building, though I definitely feel that there should have been more detail. It's definitely geared with the 'young adult' crowd in mind (teenagers) but is still a enjoyable read for older readers - too bad she didn't gear it wit ...more
Jean Tatro
After finishing the first book I eagerly bought the next two the next time I got to the bookstore. Book two picks up directly after book one, the start of it so abruptly I was left with the impression that book one and two were original one book broken into two.

It's a sort of lackluster book. The book's strength is its exploration of the Orcs and their culture, but the plot and world just don't stand out. I liked it alright, but only because I enjoyed the continued exploration of the world and c
Tatiana
I didn't think the sequel was going to be any better than the first book, but I was completely taken by surprise. At first I was disgusted by the relationship that was developing between Dar and Kovok. But if you pretend hes just a big human then their relationships becomes kinda cute. Morgan Howell has created a very intricate story. Everything fits together very well to create a cohesive tale that makes sense. I'm about to start the last book immediately.
Elizabeth
Decent book - although it did sort of feel like "filler." To be honest, that's hard to avoid in book two of a trilogy, though, so Howell gets a pass for that. I do have issues with how he handles his female characters - it's sadly/frequently obvious that the author is male; there's no real emotional depth to the characters. Oddly, that doesn't detract as much as it might from this being an enjoyable read.
Dejsha
I am glad that I started this series when all of them are written. I would have had a hard time waiting for the next book to come out. Hopefully this will be as fun as the last one.

Well, I have finished this book and I liked it as much as the last one.

It went a couple of places that I didn't expect and that is always nice. A great followup to the last book.

Off to get the next one!
Anna
I really enjoyed the orc society as portrayed in this book. The men aren't precisely simple-minded, so much as used to following a woman's orders. The species (or is it a subspecies? You'll only learn later) is honest to a fault. It's a good sequel to King's Property, covering new territory to keep you engaged.
Amy C
Glen
I enjoyed Clan Daughter every bit as much as I did King's Property. I actually finished it months ago and just forgot to come back to Goodreads to mark it as such. Honestly? I can't remember what was part of Clan Daughter and what was part of the rest of the trilogy.
Jody Wallace
Something about the simplistic style / voice in this one started to bug me when I was better able to tolerate it in the last one. I do really enjoy the storyline, though (and it's also pretty simple), and I know I'll read the last one.
Aimee
Gosh I love this series. Dar is a really interesting character, and the concepts in this book feel really original to someone who's read overly traditional fantasy one too many times. Can't wait to start the third!!
Tammykirk
Typical but enjoyable coming of age story where the monsters are the good guys. Heavy handed patriarchy=evil mariarchy=good theme. Although somewhat lacking in nuance this is still a good story.
Lori Mason
The story, and romance, progresses in this novel. Several unexpected twists, and goes further into the orcs' matriachal society, but not quite as good as the first one in the series.
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Destiny's Star (Epic of Palins, #3)
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • The Hob's Bargain
  • The Crown (Pearls and the Crowns, #2)
  • Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • Wolfbreed (Wolfbreed, #1)
  • Thief With No Shadow
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • A Brother's Price
  • A Call to Arms
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Sister of the Dead (Noble Dead, Series 1, #3)
Morgan Howell is the pseudonym of author Will Hubbell. Hubbell uses his own name when writing childrens' picture books and for his science fiction novels published by Ace. He uses the name Morgan Howell for his recent fantasy writing, citing the darkness of the writing.

A graduate of Oberlin College and the Rochester Institute of Technology, MORGAN HOWELL is a full-time writer who lives in upstate
More about Morgan Howell...

Queen of the Orcs (3 books)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs, #3)
King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1) Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs, #3) A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1) Candle in the Storm (Shadowed Path, #2) The Iron Palace (Shadowed Path, #3)