Start by marking “Fidel's Last Days” as Want to Read:
Fidel's Last Days

Fidel's Last Days

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Roland Merullo has consistently wowed critics with his brilliant storytelling and his refusal to be pigeonholed, hopscotching from the coming-of-age tale (In Revere, In Those Days) to the novel-as-fable (Golfing with God) to the road trip genre (Breakfast with Buddha). Now Merullo delivers a dazzling and finely nuanced political thriller about a clandestine plot to assassi ...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fidel's Last Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fidel's Last Days

Julie
Having loved Breakfast with Buddha, I was interested to see that Roland Merullo was venturing into new territory with this thriller. This would have been a 4-star read for me except for the ending, which I found unsatisfying. Of course, in the last review I wrote (of In the Woods), I got on my high horse about how we can't always have everything revealed for us . . . but in this case the lack of revelation of some key points was problematic for me. Still, it was a suspenseful read, well written. ...more
Elevate Difference
Fidel’s Last Days is a novel about a fictional conspiracy to kill Fidel Castro by applying a poisonous topical cream to his hairline. Supposedly the CIA has attempted to assassinate Castro 638 times, but Roland Merullo leads you to believe that maybe this time, with the cream, the secret society, and the beautiful woman, it will work. It has to.

The story moves effortlessly between Carolina Anzar Perez in Miami and Carlos Arroyo Gutierrez in Havana. Carolina is our likeable protagonist. She is po
Mary
This was a great book for the ride to and from work. I read it because we are alums of the same university and I thought, I'm fascinated by Cuba and Miami's Cubans, what the heck.

Liked the peek into CIA/NSA/secret societies and their methods, but the ending was unsatisfying. Still, I'm going read Merullo's latest because I'm looking forward to vicariously living through a summer on Lake Como
Megan
it was a very fast read, so i finished it in record time (well, for me that is!)...very complex, convuluted plot that kept you guessing about who was double-crossing whom...i wasn't overly surprised by the use of twists & turns though -- it felt a little formulaic in terms of a typical spy novel...not bad but i guess i was expecting to be "wowed" more than i was...
Sally
This was a really interesting and engaging novel. I feel like I learned alot about Cuba, though the book is fictional. I also loved the sense that I got, "yeah this could happen". It was really different than his past books though. So don't expect it to resemble "Breakfast with Buddha".
Mike Radice
I couldn't get through it because of the violence. I love his books, and that's no reflection on his writing, but I was surprised because I didn't think he was that kind of an author.

I'm still loyal to his writing, however, and am looking forward to his upcoming book.
Mary Lou
Very good espionage thriller based on current events and the aspirations of some. Twists and turns and betrayals make this a good read.
Deanna
It was an interesting review of Cuban-American sensibilities as well as an insight into Cuba.
Taraneh
I don't normally read books of this genre and for what it was...it was pretty good. Page turning.
Andrea
A former CIA agent is chosen by a secret organization to assist in killing Fidel.
katykins

Steve Auerweck
This tale of a modern-era plot to assassinate Fidel Castro is taut and inventive. The focus jumps back and forth among the U.S.-based leaders of the conspiracy, a young woman who left the CIA to work as an agent for them, and sympathizers in Cuba. The portrayals of life in Cuba, with the sense of a glorious revolution that has gone increasingly sour and corrupt over time, are the most effective, being fascinating and believable. The main conspirators could be seen as cliched -- shadowy zillionai ...more
james
This book kept me interested all the way through. It was good, but not great.
Sara
A great spy good and fast read for most folks -- I think that to truly understand and get into the spirit of what the storyline brings to life, one needs to have personally been in touch with the "Cuban experience" -- either as an expatriate, family or someone who has been affected by Castro and his actions over the last half centry. Rad with an open mind, it helps you understand the political and social inclications of the Cuban world as they "temporarily" live in the United States --always hop ...more
Holly
This was a fast, fun read. It's the fictional account of a plan to kill Fidel Castro...part thriller, part conspiracy, part spy novel. Think: Mission Impossible meets old time Soviet spy strategy with double crossing and who's who. It's a story line that works, twists and turns and some good writing that works to keep the book moving along without becoming trivialized or bogged down with too many details. The ending isn't as strong as the rest of the book which is why I'll give it a 3 and not a ...more
Sandy
I like Merullo's books (have read 2) and I lived in Miami - Cuba/America for five years so I decided I'd read this one and check it out. I'll let you know more of what I think when I'm done!

So, I'm done and I'd be entertained to ask the author..... does it end this way because..... we still don't know the ending of this regime? ..... Or because Fidel seems to be impervious to attempts on his life? Does this one work? Or not???????
Meghan
A plot to assassinate Fidel Castro and reclaim Cuba for the Miami Cuban-Americans...has all the makings of a good mystery, except it's a tired story. The writing didn't do much to spice it up - a page turner with a predictable ending and a cast of expected characters.
Alan
Interesting spy story with lots of twists and turns about a plot to kill Fidel Castro. A great summer read.

I'd recommend another book by the author called 'Revere Beach Boulevard' about growing up in Revere, MA.
Hulananni
I'm not a fan of spy/CIA novels but I've been to Cuba and thought it would be interesting. It was but not my favorite genre. I'm going to read one of the author's other books to see if they are more to my liking.
Tim Wendel
Of course, I love a novel set in Cuba. Havana, the people and the country won me over when I was working on Castro's Curveball. This novel gets the everyday life down but flies apart at end.
Magi
after reading this author's memoir about life in revere,ma...i was surprised to come across this one. good,easy read,great description of havana for someone whose never been.
Cynthia
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Paranoia and fear are woven together and have become the backdrop of all lives in Cuba. Lots of good twists in the plot.
Karen Shiebler
OK, Roland is my cousin, but it was a wonderful book. I recommend it to anyone who likes a good story and well developed characters.
Becky
I enjoyed this. There were a couple spots were it dragged a bit for ideological speeches, but a good quick read. Great ending
Byron Wright
Good light summer read. Fast paced and seemed much less corny than many thrillers. Unlike a previous reviewer, I liked the end.
Tamara
Great book gives you a lot of insight about the life people lead in Cuba. An interesting read and worth taking a look at.
Frances
Spy story with plot to kill Castro. Set in present-day times (post 9/11, pre-Obama). A real page-turner.
Nancy Torrey
A fun read, especially after my recent trip to Cuba. Not great lit, but an engaging, fast-paced story.
Judi
This could be my favorite Roland Merullo book. Good story - interesting look at Cuba and Cuban Americans
Michael
Interesting structure. For the number of characters and plot twists it could have been longer.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ROLAND MERULLO is the acclaimed author of twelve previous books, including Revere Beach Boulevard, In Revere in Those Days, A Little Love Story, Golfing with God, Breakfast with Buddha, Lunch with Buddha and American Savior. Merullo has won numerous prizes, including the Massachusetts Book Award for both fiction and nonfiction. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife and two children.
More about Roland Merullo...
Breakfast with Buddha The Talk-Funny Girl A Little Love Story American Savior: A Novel of Divine Politics Golfing with God: A Novel of Heaven and Earth