Start by marking “Tomorrow We Die” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow We Die

Tomorrow We Die (First Responders #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Jonathan Trestle is a paramedic who's spent the week a few steps behind the angel of death. When he responds to a call about a man sprawled on a downtown sidewalk, Trestle isn't about to lose another victim. CPR revives the man long enough for him to hand Trestle a crumpled piece of paper and say, "Give this to Martin," before being taken to the hospital.
The note is a ser
Published July 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow We Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow We Die

Nora St Laurent
Shawn Grady’s second novel Tomorrow We Die, is just as gripping, eye opening, and realistic as the Through the Fire. Shawn takes the reader into an EMT’s world the way no one else can. He’s been a firefighter and EMT in the Reno area for years. I’m thankful I received a review copy of this suspenseful, action packed story that made me realize how hard EMT’s work and how much they sacrifice, day-in and day-out.
Jonathan works as an EMT as he awaits news of a scholarship. He dreams of being a Docto
N.
4.5/5

Half a point off for describing the color and texture of emesis. Ew. Did not need that image. Otherwise, really a surprising, excellent read with a nice blend of mystery, action suspense, and romance.

Later:

I wrote quick thoughts about this book when I finished it at around 2 or 3 A.M. so . . . adding a bit more. I read Shawn Grady's first book and enjoyed it very much so I purchased Tomorrow We Die on the basis of that pleasant reading memory. Some plot points are revealed in this review
Jeff
I really like the characters in this book. I thought they were well developed and interesting. The story, when the writer focused on it, was entertaining and gripping (although at times I felt he tried too hard). A couple of other issues: First, Mr. Grady obviously has a very good understanding of medicine and medical procedures. But I couldn't see how extended and detailed accounts of medical treatment added to the story. If somehow those accounts would have been tied more directly to the overa ...more
Shaunika
The novel ,Tomorrow We Die by Shawn Grady, is an amazing thriller and gets your adrenaline pumping. The angel of death is chasing after people like there is no tomorrow. Paramedic Jonathan Trestle searches for answers while death is searching for him. Jonathan started getting suspicious after a man gave him a note before his death. Jonathan also hot a full ride scholarship to medical school, but does the angel of death ruin that? I highly recommend this book to middle schoolers and up. The book ...more
Rosemarie
Another excellent book by Shawn Grady! The second in a series, this book has a different voice than the first. Both are written in first person, and the author does a wonderful job of "being" a different character in each book. In this novel, the main character is a paramedic who finds himself in the middle of a "bad situation" (no, I'm not going to reveal it), and the suspense of following him through the events that roll over him kept me turning pages long past my bed time! And yes, I had to l ...more
D.M. Webb
We already met one character from this book. He was introduced in Through the Fire. Now Bones is back with his partner Jonathan Trestle.

When Jonathan Trestle saves a man's life, he is given a note, a cryptic clue. Of course he is drawn to finding out who might be this "Martin" the man talked about, but when Jonathan arrives at the hospital to check on the man, Jonathan finds him gone-only to be found by later at a motel and quite obviously dead. The grim reaper is striking with force.

Hounded by
Molly
Jul 08, 2010 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: CFBA
I have to confess that, on top of Historical and Amish novels, I am a complete and utter SUCKER for medical suspense and dramas! I used to love to watch E.R., House,and, back in the day, Doogie Howser, MD! I also loved the fast paced thrills of watching the real life medical shows. My blood and heart rate was always pumping into overdrive! Reading Shawn Grady's work for the first time falls into that blood-rush thrilling sensation! LOVED it!

From the minute I opened to the first page, Grady thrus
Katie
Tomorrow We Die is a medical suspense/mystery novel that will take you for a wild ride. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but by the time I reached the end of this book, I’d been on a crazy adventure with Jonathan and Natalie. Although a bit slow getting into the fast-pace action, I found it worth the slow-building tension when everything seemed to burst in the last hundred pages.

Jonathan, at the very beginning, seemed all tough-stuff but when he returned home after finishing his EMT shift, the rea
Victor Gentile
I had the privilege of interviewing Shawn Grady, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for his new book, "Tomorrow We Die" published by Bethany House.

For a story to be a thriller it has to have the hero in danger from the beginning and this story certainly qualifies. Jonathan Trestle is a paramedic whose ambulance is called to a scene where, supposedly, a drunk has died from over drinking. When he and his partner arrive they do everything they can to revive the man and they succeed. The man si
Jan Marie Newby
Tomorrow We Die, the second book by author Shawn Grady, is the story of the young paramedic, Jonathan Trestle. Jonathan is merely biding his time as a paramedic while he waits to begin medical school on a full scholarship. It seems that his well-laid plan is in serious trouble when patients begin mysteriously dying for inexplicable reasons. Thus begins the story of Jonathan's quest for truth. He is not content to accept the loss of his patients and sets off to discover the reason for the untimel ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Tomorrow We Die by Shawn Grady is the author's thrilling follow-up to Through the Fire. Jonathan Trestle is just a few weeks away from ending his job as a paramedic and starting medical school when a dying man hands him a mysterious note with the instructions to "Give it to Martin." Jonathan feels compelled to follow the dead man's final wish, but Martin dies before he can give him the letter, which starts the young man on a quest to discover the truth behind the two mens' deaths and what the cu ...more
Mark Young
Most people try to avoid the Angel of Death. In novelist Shawn Grady’s latest—Tomorrow We Die—protagonist Jonathan Trestle chases this death angel from one paramedic call to another. Set in Reno, Nevada’s high-stakes gaming town, Shawn takes readers from one crisis-driven scene to another. And if that’s not enough tension, Shawn draws Trestle into a twisted, shadowland where everything becomes upside down with life-threatening consequences.

Shawn’s real-life experiences as a Reno firefighter and
Mandy
Grady’s central theme was perseverance. This is shown in a number of different ways. For example, when Jonathan pays his drunken father’s bill and provides him a home, he is forced to persevere through, leave Naomi’s house and do what he’s got to do. Grady shifts the focus to patience and how that can be exercised in our own lives. One of the things that I liked most about the book was that it described the life of a fireman and pediatrician. I have always wanted to know what it was like for men ...more
Sharon
Not as good as book one in the series but still lots of pluses, such as great suspense. I thought Eli's last gift to Jonathan and Naomi was a bit far-fetched and too convenient to be realistic, considering that it wasn't narrated as being a divine intervention. I wish Jonathan had given God more credit for working in his life for good.
Jill Williamson
Paramedic Jonathan Trestle has been getting in trouble lately for how long it takes his ambulance to reach the scene. But it’s not his fault that there are so few ambulances to cover the whole city of Reno at once. When a patient gives him a note before dying, Jonathan is pulled into a mystery that will force him to risk all he holds dear.

I like Shawn Grady’s books. They always have a strong main character, a suspenseful pace, and a mystery that hooks me to the last page. This one was no differ
Elaine
This one is medically graphic. See you in the morgue.

Tomorrow We Die is less about the mystery surrounding the patient and note than it is about the ambulance calls Jonathan and Bones go on. I think the author wrote it for himself or anyone with a good working knowledge of medical terms and procedures. One might get the idea the author is showing off his medical knowledge. (popliteal artery, cyanosis, carotid pulse)

The last quarter of the book, perhaps, is a bit over the top with its incredulity
Paul Goble
Apr 24, 2012 Paul Goble rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of medical thrillers.
Paramedic and his buddies stumble into a murder plot and become targets themselves.

Strengths: Competent treatment of emergency medicine. Fast-paced, engaging, and mostly believable plot. The main characters have realistic conflicts and personal issues. A quick read.

Weaknesses: Right at the climax, the editing breaks down. It becomes hard to tell who is present in the scene, let alone who is doing what. A few homophones crept in and stopped my reading while I figured out, for example, that the au
Sissyloo
This book was absolutely amazing! It was intense, and fast-paced, and simply perfect! I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on Shawn Grady's other books!
Trisha DeBoer
This book was suspenseful, gripping (especially the last 6 chapters or so), and exciting. I found it in a "Christian Bookstore," but don't let that turn you off. The author isn't all "COME TO JESUS" in the book. He lives out his faith through the book, without turning you off to matters of faith. I would read more of this guy's stuff if I ever came across it.
Carrie Padgett
I loved this one! Shawn Grady writes as a fire fighter and paramedic and the sense of urgency that makes him great at his job translates into his prose. I raced to the end like an engine on its way to a 4 alarm call.
Jennifer Doleanu-Lawrence
Overall good story. Author has a great imagination. Some things were far fetched that happened to the character lol but that made it good. I was sad it ended! Totally am going to re read it!!!
Bobbi
I've enjoyed Shawn Grady's first release and was looking forward to this one. It did not disappoint. Fast paced action novel that was fairly clean. Looking forward to the next one by this author.
Alison Powell
I absolutely LOVED this book and once I started reading, I never wanted to stop. The basic story line of this book is overall very well written and with that came a good story.
Katie
Amazing. I loved it so much that I couldn't put it down. It's not my typical kind of book, but it was outstanding.
Matt
I felt like it started kind of slow, but once it got my attention, i couldn't put it down.
Beth
Really good book! Kinda funny at parts. I really enjoyed it
Chelsea
2 1/2 stars.
Scott Miller
Scott Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rosemarie
Rosemarie is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Chris Southworth
Chris Southworth marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
  • Unlimited
  • Fatal Loyalty
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Sorcerer
  • Possession
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Renegade (Called to Serve, #2)
  • Wonders Never Cease
  • Proof (Bloodline Trilogy, #1)
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)
  • Danger Close
  • Over the Edge
  • Darlington Woods
  • Avenged (Pacific Coast Justice, #3)
I'm a novelist who has served as a firefighter and paramedic for over fifteen years in the Reno-Tahoe area, where I live with my wife and three children.

Books:
Through the Fire
Tomorrow We Die
Falls Like Lightning

More info can be found at shawngradybooks.com.
More about Shawn Grady...

First Responders (3 books)
  • Through the Fire