Start by marking “Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart, #3)” as Want to Read:
Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart, #3)

Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,369 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Josh Jones realizes his family isn't typical, but it's the only life he's ever known. Aunt Lou, Gramps, Uncle Charlie, Grandpa--they all have shaped the young man he has become. But as he grows into manhood, Josh begins to face important questions about life, love, and faith. Three million books sold in the series!
Published May 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Is Not Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Is Not Forever

Emilee
Apr 10, 2008 Emilee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who ever wants to read a boring book!
yeah its not one of those books that you just cant put down,its kinda boring and dosen't have much to it,but yeah i wouldn't say its a must read.(definately)
nat
Aug 17, 2010 nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Helvry Sinaga
Recommended to nat by: Iyut
Dari keempat serinya beginilah kesanku:

Buku I : buku yang menggambarkan sisi emosional seorang anak dengan pas, unik, lucu :) Josh sebagai tokoh utama tidak hanya ditonjolkan kebaikannya, namun juga pergumulannya untuk memaafkan dan mencoba mengenal Tuhan..

Buku II : Josh yang beranjak remaja dengan cinta pertamanya dan harapan-harapannya. Khas sekali dan benar-benar pas dengan perasaan saat remaja yang dipenuhi bunga-bunga pengharapan.Persahabatan dengan Willie yang menyentuh hati, dan percikan
Nadine Keels
Apr 11, 2015 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joshua: "It seems so simple."
Uncle Nat: "Maybe it is. Maybe we're the ones who make it complicated."

Much about farming in this one, getting a sense of one's purpose, and more on the dynamics of Josh's unique household of bachelors. I'm still working through this series with no blurbs to tell me what to look for (I so prefer it that way), and for the most part, I enjoyed this one about as much as the first two, despite the fact that there isn't as much humor and the ending is abrupt, without enou
Diana
Jan 14, 2016 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Janette Oke's stories. They aren't anything I rave about to my friends, but they are a source of feel-good entertainment with high morals, and that is nice. Her stories are comfortable and it's easy to feel at home in her settings and feel like a friend of the family of characters.

Each book in this particular series can be read as a stand alone book, but I do recommend that they be read in order if one plans to read all of them. Because of availability, I read #4 before #3, and didn't l
Michelle
Sep 02, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so maybe this whole series was sappy but I am a sucker for that stuff. I love series like this where you can really feel the characters personality and visualize the story playing out. I could hardly wait to read the next book and was definitely disappointed when I finished them.
Dora Wagner
Josh is faced with some difficult decisions within this book. He is grappling with God's call on his life. What is he supposed to do with his life? He begins to notice that his beloved grandfather and great uncle are aging and begins to help on the family farm, all the while thinking God will show him the way, in the midst of his farm work. What is he supposed to do for a career. It is a great theme, which the book centers around. He also faced with the knowledge that his first love will marry a ...more
Janiece
Dec 03, 2008 Janiece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rating I gave is to be considered within the context of the entire series. Good wholesome books. Simple books. Josh is graduating and trying to decide the path that God wants him to take. While all of his friends have direction, he does not, at least he does not recognize immediately what it is. While he is waiting to get that direction he takes over the farming for his grandpa and uncle. He grew up on the farm and loved it, but did not get directly involved in the planting, harvesting and w ...more
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
The long-awaited Graduation Day is fastly approaching for Josh and his friends. Soon they'll be done with school and they'll leave the little schoolhouse behind forever. Josh's friends all have big plans for their lives, many are going on to college, and his best friend Willie is headed to Bible College in preparation for mission work. But Josh still doesn't have an answer when people ask him what his plans are. He's considered several things, but hasn't felt God leading him towards anything in ...more
Annalisa
Jun 19, 2009 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Josh trying to find what God's calling is for him in life. He graduates from school not sure what his next step is so he begins to work on the farm. Grandpa and Uncle Charlie are aging more rapidly than he thought and they cannot manage on their own. Eventually they board the town's school marm and use her wages to hire Mary Turley to live with them and manage the household. Josh continues to pray for Camellia to become Christian and with the help of Willie (who has gone back ...more
Kristy
Rating: 5/10

I liked it but it is nothing special. There is a decent amount of the book dedicated to farming. The introduction of the two girls who come and live with them add an interesting development in the storyline. If I was reading this as a book I would give up reading it for sure but having listened to the audio version, it made it easier to get into.

The Questions:

Entertaining/Addictive?: Not addictive at all though it was lightly entertaining

Writing Style?: Time moves very quickly so you
Jessica Van Vleet
May 12, 2014 Jessica Van Vleet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. I'm glad I stuck with this series, is really gotten better than I thought it was going to be. This one is more of a Christian read than the when calls the heart series. Still a great read.
Nana Sherry's
Jun 27, 2015 Nana Sherry's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victorious

I would recommend this book. Josh is the main character and goes through some trying times in the story. He is very confused, but soon figures it out.
Abby Oberg
May 26, 2015 Abby Oberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book and the words that e author uses to make the reader know that the main character is a farm boy. I really enjoyed all of Janet Oke's series!
Eliza Smith
Apr 02, 2015 Eliza Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Book 3 of series definitely contains enough hardship to last a lifetime. Great to read about Josh taking over the family farm.
H
Feb 26, 2010 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another enjoyable book with Josh. As usual, I laughed out loud several times. What I liked about this one was that when Josh was disappointed or faced with something hard, he didn't lost his faith this time--he trusted in God to work things out and comfort him. I thought it showed really well how he was maturing. I also liked how Camellia's conversion came about--how she really fought it for a while before even being curious, and then how she still resisted for a while before becoming c ...more
Anne Williamson
Sep 11, 2014 Anne Williamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book instead of going to my senior prom.
Elaine
Apr 29, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice story about how we can follow God's will for us.
Season Sinclair
Jul 22, 2012 Season Sinclair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All four of the books in this series were delightful. They were beautifully written, and captivated me right into the world of Josh and Uncle Charlie and Mary and Matilda. I could see the harvest wagons traversing the fields and smell the coffee brewing on the stove. The books are written in first person, which is unusual. However, I soon felt as though I knew the characters, and the life they lived became one that I wanted to experience.
seasonsinclair.blogspot.com
Odetta
Jan 27, 2012 Odetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
I liked this book. It was kind of slow. It says it's number 3 in the series. I don't think I've heard 1&2, maybe that's why it was so hard to get into.

ETA: Here we go again. Talking Books sent this back to me to listen to again. So, here I am, listening to it again. This time though I have heard books 1 & 2 & liked them. 1-24-12

This time through I LOVED IT!!!!!!! But now I know Josh & Willy & the other characters.
Joy
Jul 07, 2007 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love picking up Janette Oke to re-read. Her writing is familiar as I've been reading her since I was a young teen. I know the stories so well, it is like sitting down with a good friend. I don't have to think, so these books I'm usually reading at 11:30 PM when I need ten minutes of reading before hitting the pillow!
Breena
Oct 04, 2013 Breena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2013
My iPod has stopped working...arg....I hate stopping in the middle of a book.

Ok it kicked on long enough to finish.

Such a good book. I love the clean, simple life. I love that he finally thinks that maybe his calling in life is to be a farmer. I was thinking that for a long time already!
Kelli
Nov 16, 2013 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook as well. I really enjoy this series by Jeanette Oke. I appreciate the application of Christian values to handling life's problems. The plot is interesting, the characters are lovable. I am looking forward to listening to the last book in the series.
Teresa
Apr 30, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Loved this book and look forward to the final book in the series. Heartwarming old fashioned values!
Ruth
Sep 06, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Josh is graduating & branching out into love himself. A mans coming of age story if there ever was one of inspirational proportions. Girls will like the blooming relationships & perhaps guys can learn a positive way of treating the fairer sex. Good for all kids 9 or older.
Meadow
Jan 29, 2010 Meadow rated it really liked it
Josh is struggling with what is futur will hold. Willie is a missionary, Camilla is going to be an interior designer and Josh is left caring for his Grandpa and Uncle Charlie's farm, he doesn't mind. In fact he loves it. But is it what he was meant to do.
Connie
Feb 06, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book spans several years of Josh's life, beginning just before his graduation. Josh was struggling with understanding what God had in store for his life. This book was a fast read for me and a pleasant one.
Missy
Jan 31, 2016 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading this book.
Amy
Aug 18, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book was clean and that it included God in the day-to-day life of the main character. I was very surprised at the ending, because it left me hanging, but maybe there's a subsequent book.
Rishi
Oct 17, 2008 Rishi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was pretty good. We kept wondering when the main character was going to figure things out. This one was more of a pause before the main event, the final book. But it was good.
Megan
Dec 15, 2010 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't love it as much as the others. A little sadder, kind of how you feel in the winter I guess. Was one of the books that you have to read so you can read the next one.
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow)
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Seasons of the Heart (4 books)
  • Once upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
  • Winds of Autumn (Seasons Of The Heart, #2)
  • Spring's Gentle Promise (Seasons of the Heart, #4)