Start by marking “A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River)” as Want to Read:
A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River)

A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River #1)

It is 1893 and the first generation of immigrants who came to America for the promise of free land and a good life for their children have finally achieved their dreams. They labored hard on the land and now have a bountiful heritage to pass on to the next generation. However, many of the young people aren't interested in becoming farmers--they have aspirations of their ow ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Dream to Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dream to Follow

Vicki Andrada
Jun 16, 2015 Vicki Andrada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book like all of these books. I am loving seeing the Bjorklund children growing up, and starting there own lives after we watched there parents do so as new immigrants to the United States, to what was at that time Dakota territory from Norway in the last series "red river of the north." I totally recommend this book! I am so looking forward to the next one in this series, and plan to start it right away!
Dec 06, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I obtained a copy of Lauraine Snelling's "A Dream to Follow" from the "Local" sections at a nearby book store. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, though I felt too many characters were introduced too quickly and it became rather difficult to keep track of them all. I also enjoyed the regional references (though there aren't THAT many thistles down here, LOL).

I especially enjoyed Thorliff's chapters and the chapter for Manda. Elizabeth feels like an inconsistent character. She wants to help people,
Linda Day
Here is the thing about Laurine Snelling; she writes series. So-o-o, each book ends with the need to buy the next book in order to finish the story which you are now hooked on because Laurine Snelling is also a very good author besides being a VERY good businesswoman !!! Alert Kindle Readers ... this can become a very expensive proposition. :o)

A Dream to Follow is the first in the 2nd series concerning the Folks in the Red River Valley. It is not only a continuation, but a "next generation" cont
Jan 15, 2016 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

After reading (and greatly enjoying) the Red River of the North series, I was really excited to see how the lives of the following generation played out. However, I was rather disappointed with this novel. Compared with the previous books, it lacked a certain depth. Flat seems like the right word to describe it. It felt like the novel ended before anything gripping actually happened. Yes, Thorliff finally got his father's blessing to attend college. Penny had her first chil
Jun 14, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh...this book just didn't feel terribly inspired or realistic to me. Perhaps it didn't help that I've not read any of the previous books in the series so I had no previous attachment to this family. I did appreciate that it is written so that someone new could pick up this book and not feel lost without a ton of recapping which I tend to find rather annoying.

Being Christian fiction, I expected it to be preachy and it certainly did not disappoint on that account. While the constant "communicat
Mar 24, 2011 Crazyreadingma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book got me hooked on the next in the series, anxious to find
out of the outcome of Thorliff's dream of college and his father's
views. I love the history references and the bond between the families.
This era of fiction is dreamy for me and the families are so easy to
get attached to with their respect and love for each other. Some of
Lauraine's books start out slow but once you read the first one in the
Series you can't wait to read the next and on and on.
Jun 01, 2015 Allan67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together. This seems to be a standard heading for me on my postings doesn't it?.

We had read the series following this, so we were able to speculate on things about eventual outcomes in the book. This series is basically about Thorliff and his determination to go away to college.

Diana liked the story, she took no time to determine that it should be a four star review. The next
May 13, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one in the Return To Red River series. Thorliff has grown into a young man. He yearns to go to collage to be a writer. His dad wants him to stay and run the farm that will be his inheritance. Introduction of a new character, Elizabeth, who is well to do. Her father runs a newspaper. I have a feeling that these two are destined to be together; even though Thorliff has pledged his love to a girl at home.
I loved the series Red River of the North - how the Bjorklund's came to America and homesteaded the North Dakota territory. So to have the series continue with Return to Red River is exciting. I like to see how the story keeps evolving. Reading about 1890's has been interesting. It would have been hard work to settle the land and build up a town. How the train changed things and also the steam engines for harvesting wheat. That period in history interests me. Can't wait to read book 2 - Believin ...more
Oct 20, 2014 Pegg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series picks up several years after the first Red River of the North series ends. We find the children of the first series graduating and thinking about life after school. The same cast of characters from Blessing are there, plus we meet Elizabeth Rogers from Minnesota. They suffer another death, rejoice over another birth, and continue to farm against the elements of nature.

There isn't much new here. There isn't a lot of compelling conflict with these older versions of the Blessing charac
Jan 01, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. Have researched my family and they also came from Norway. This series has given me an idea of what they went through. Lauraine Snelling has written a fine group of books about the Bjorklund family.
Rhonda Walker
Apr 13, 2014 Rhonda Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We watched Thorliff grow up in The Red River of the North. Now we get to see him become an adult and choose his own path.
How could I not read about little Thorliff? I feel like I've grown up with him...
Carolyn Van
felt unfinished; like there should be a sequel
Oct 09, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in the next series...wonderful as always
Apr 08, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the Red River of the North series I enjoyed this very much, it answered some of the questions I had at the end of that series, however it did skip a few years and having followed each year with the first series I felt a bit of a loss even though it tried to fill in a few gaps. Can't wait to read book two.
This was a well-written Christian historical novel. The characters were well drawn and engaging, and the plot was interesting. I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more of the series. This series (Return to Red River) is a follow-up to the author's Red River of the North series.
Mar 24, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of my comfort food. An interesting book in a place in history I am relatively unfamiliar with. It was really good for the genre though it was obviously a first in a series. I am intrigued enough to want to know more about what happens next to the characters.
Rebecca Cordova
Jul 16, 2008 Rebecca Cordova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close to the turn of the century, never before dreamed of opportunities are a reality. Thorliff, Ingeborg's son has the chance of a lifetime...College. It is his dream, will it happen? Can it happen for a farm boy from Norway living on the Dakota prairie?
Sep 22, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A; Excellent. Loved catching up on Thorliff and am on the edge to see what happens with his job at the newspaper and Anji. Since I read some of the series out of order I know the end result, but look forward to find out the details in the next story.
This book is a continuation of the Red River of the North Series. As the children of the original immigrants grown up, the younger generation becomes the main characters.
This is an enjoyable read.
Aug 04, 2012 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a little slow to begin with and the characters are not very exciting but I still enjoyed it. I will read the remaining books in the series because I want to find out what happens!
Sep 30, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
This is a really good book I enjoyed it I recommend it to anyone
Enjoyed the book . Looking forward to reading the other 2 books in the Return To Red River Series.
Laurie Mikalunas
This trilogy is all about the oldest son Thorliff from the Red River series. A good read. :)
Mar 19, 2012 Erin72 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finding Snelling rather slow. However this one was not as boring as the other.
Slow at first but picked up later, frontier life in the 1800s.
Aug 01, 2012 Lamby rated it liked it
Recommended to Lamby by: my dad
This book was slow moving but I'm still going to read the others.
Kara Mayfield
Jan 01, 2014 Kara Mayfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I love these books so much, but I do!
Apr 17, 2008 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing, abrupt ending.
  • Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10)
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana
  • The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Love Finds You in Prince Edward Island, Canada
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Return to Red River (3 books)
  • Believing the Dream (Return to Red River, #2)
  • More Than a Dream (Return to Red River, #3)