Start by marking “Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion” as Want to Read:
Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion

Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  473 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A message of revitalization and encouragement for leaders before they leave the ministry. Wayne Cordeiro, author of Doing Church as a Team, found himself paralyzed by burnout. He had been in ministry for 30 years, and 10 years after founding what is now the largest church in Hawaii, he found himself depleted. Wayne took a season out of his growing ministry to recharge and ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Leading on Empty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading on Empty

Dave Pettengill
Apr 14, 2011 Dave Pettengill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Church Staff
Recommended to Dave by: Fellow ministry partner
This book is very helpful for those in the ministry that might be encountering burnout, being a workaholic, or dealing with depression. Mr. Cordeiro is very transparent in what he dealt with during this time of his life and the steps he took to get back to health. Some parts may seem lofty and out of touch for a small/medium size church pastor who does not run networks, travel the U.S. speaking, or have a large church staff but overall I think there are important things to pull from this book so ...more
Mark
Jun 09, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ministers!
It's hard for me to review this book by itself, since I've been reading Anne Jackson's Mad Church Disease at the same time and both books deal with ministerial burnout.

Wayne's is both more personal (we get to see a lot more details about his story & his journey out of burnout/depression) and more specific about steps to take. I think that's probably a function of generational writing styles: Wayne is a mega-church pastor who's a Boomer, while Anne is a Buster.

Anyway, they're both good books
Matthew
Dec 29, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for anyone in ministry who just feels out of gas. It's about refilling your tank and renewing your passion for ministry. Some of my favorite thoughts in the book were...

"Suffering will change us, but not necessarily for the better. We have to choose that"

"It is a gift to be able to launch an inspiring vision. But unless you manage it along the way, it can turn on you, and soon the voracious appetite of the vision consumes you"

"Those who vocation is all about giving out are wearing o
Heather Hampton
Jan 25, 2011 Heather Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by a pastor who is highly successful and yet found that he was getting burnt out from all the things he was involved in. This book is written out of the journey that this pastor took in order to reevaluate his life and change things so that he could live a life that really matters to God. This book is a great resource for any pastor or leader that can let their good intentions get in the way of what they are really supposed to be doing.
Ben
Jun 03, 2012 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a timely read for me. Although it is intended for pastors, many of the insights apply equally well to other ministry positions. I discovered early in the book that I am dangerously close to burnout -- this book helped validate my situation and provided a number of useful nuggets to reverse the course I was headed on.
Kyle
Jul 22, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A great book reminding people, especially pastors, to get back into a Biblical rhythm for life to avoid burnout & finish their life & calling well
John
Sep 26, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This is a book I'm glad I read when I did and I would recommend it to every pastor, youth leader and church professional I know.
Matthew
One of the best books i have read for a pastor who needs to protect his heart so he can lead well for the long haul.
Theresa
Jan 06, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read several books on how to lead in the midst of burnout. Most books give you simplistic advice like "think happy thoughts and it will all be better" or (more common) "flee from the stresses in your life (quit your job, leave your relationship, simply run from your problems.) This book was written with raw and honest emotion and practical advice from someone who has successfully moved through burnout while leading people that still needed him emotionally and as a workplace leader. I've als ...more
Jared
I've always struggled with evaluating books that fall into the broad "self-help" or "leadership" categories. To be quite honest, I don't really like most books in this category. I feel guilty for admitting that because, as a minister, leadership and self-improvement should be pretty high on my priority list, right?

This book, though, has shown me a new way to value this literature as part of my personal formation. What Wayne Cordeiro does, and does so well, is to open up a window into his own ex
Joey Reed
This book is technically for pastors. But since it deals with burnout and the lack of energy that so many pastors face, laity should read this book as well. When a family member develops cancer or diabetes, his or her family come together to support him or her. My mother became an expert on many facets of diabetes throughout my dad's illness. My wife became an expert on supporting me throughout the difficult moments of my ministry.

From an Amazon customer review: "Wayne's book is both practical a
Jansen
Aug 26, 2012 Jansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book looking at the causes, signs, long term treatment, and preventative measures to prevent burnout when working in ministry.(view spoiler) ...more
Jimmy Reagan
Mar 04, 2013 Jimmy Reagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book is worth three times more at a certain season of your life than at any other. It might not be your need at this time. On the other hand, it might be soon. I recommend every pastor, and really any leader, have this book on the shelf. For perspective, I read over half of this book at a tough time for me, and then read the other half later when things were so much better for me. I can recommend it from both angles.

Mr. Cordeiro, a pastor of a thriving, large church, hit bottom. He s
Michael Locklear
I was encouraged by the honesty and transparency of the author. Pastor Wayne states that "we must discover and discern the top 5 percent of life," which is your faith, marriage, family, ministry and health.
He challenges you to focus on the priorities of each day, those must receive our time and energy. He lists his "seven bursts of daily energy" -
1. daily devotions
2. message preparation
3-5. areas of ministry (Pastoring and Leading)
6. marriage and family
7. self
Towards the end of the bo
Jerry
Oct 20, 2009 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
There are a few helpful things in this book, but the view of the pastorate is atrocious: "The constant expectation to come up with yet another inspiring message wears you out. It depletes your emotional system, reducing your ability to stay balanced. Long term stress is not detectable in the beginning...." The devastating thing is that a pastor I sort of respect recommended it. Cordeiro seems to forget that he, like mot of us happy American pastors, are not like Jeremiah who actually lived in a ...more
Derek Harvey
Nov 28, 2015 Derek Harvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good preemptive book on preventing burnout and overcoming depression because of ministry. Don't wait to read this in a crisis situation. If you are in full time pastoral ministry, this book is a must-read.
Florence Millo
Jan 16, 2013 Florence Millo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordeiro

I hadn't anticipated getting much out of this book. After all it was written for ministers and leaders who were burned out. I am neither a minister nor a leader. But to my surprise, his description of what he went through was a very close description of what led me to retire from my career as a pharmacist. Physical, emotional, and spiritual exhaustion. I was pleased that he gently but firmly described the steps that he took and recommends for people who are just
Chris
Nov 29, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, biographies
Wished I'd read this before buying copies for our senior staff to read. Frankly, after several well-known bloggers recommended it as an important read in 2009, I was pretty disappointed with the overly simplistic nature of the content. Clear, perhaps. Helpful and encouraging, not so much.

Pastor Wayne Cordeiro writes candidly about his burnout and recovery. Yet, the tone seemed a little patronizing. Few have the luxury, like Cordeiro, of taking a long sabbatical, knowing that income and job are
Casey
Apr 18, 2014 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this book thoroughly. Wayne is brutally honest about his burnout and gives very clear steps on how he overcame it.
Lauren
Jul 11, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was like sitting down with a mentor, it was something I defiantly needed to read for this season in my life. Now it's my husband, the youth pastor's, turn.
Bill Welte
Mar 18, 2014 Bill Welte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this several years ago. I needed to be reminded of the principles in this book. Timely read.
Tiffany
Apr 04, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was reading a book about myself as I read this Wayne's story of his journey from burnout back to intentional, passionate living. Just as his journey has taken years, so have mine. The steps that he outlines as he shares his road to recovery were strikingly familiar to me because they work. I find it interesting that I found this book four years after I've taken my own journey. For those that find themselves leading on empty - take this book to heart as it my very well save your lif ...more
Beth Laky
In my own battle with ministry burnout, I found Wayne Cordeiro's experience (and that of many other ministry leaders) firstly to be validating to my own struggle - it's comforting to know I'm not alone and there is hope to heal. As I begin to take steps toward health and balance, I will be using the resources Wayne shared as well as incorporating the practical steps he took in preparing for his sabbatical and working through his own burnout. Would recommend to pastors and other church leaders.
Tim
Nov 04, 2009 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book! I’m happy to say I’m not burned out, but I can see how easy it would be end up there. This book would be immensely helpful to those who are burned out, as well as for those who want to make sure they take steps now to stay healthy over the long haul. Honest, heart-felt, full of realistic, practical suggestions. Best take away’s for me: paying attention to what fills and what drains you, warning signs to watch for, taking a sabbatical. Highly recommended!
Amy Blakeslee
Jul 21, 2012 Amy Blakeslee rated it liked it

Overall it was helpful - encouraged me to prioritize rest and pay attention to my physical/emotional well-being. I don't agree with his view that as shepherds 'who we are is what we do and what we do is who we are.' I believe the main way to prevent both burnout and pride is to embrace the truth that my identity is not found in ministry, but in Jesus Christ. Also, this book reminded me to keep my family first as I manage the tension between home and work.
Luke Larner
Aug 31, 2015 Luke Larner rated it liked it
Some good practical advice but the writing style is a little cheesy and overly allegorical
Tobias
Jun 25, 2012 Tobias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most helpful thing about this book is that it is the story of a man who burned out and not only survived it but is still living for God, doing full-time church ministry. For a person who has been in the pit of depression, that is the most encouraging thing. There are definitely things to criticize here, but they have probably all been pointed out here before. I think there is alot of experience, wisdom and practical help to be found.
Mark Renfroe
Jan 24, 2014 Mark Renfroe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read for anyone desiring to avoid burnout in ministry.
Bob Flores
This book opened my eyes and explained a lot of what I am currently going through. Even though this book was written for pastors and leaders, I would recommend it for anyone in ministry. Burnout is a reality and the toll it takes is far more costly than most realize. Just the chapter on identifying what fills and drains you is worth the cost of the book.
P.L. White
Oct 17, 2012 P.L. White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like several books written for large audiences this one has many sidebars and quotes. Those are more distracting to me than helpful. The overall message is one I agree with. We need to take seriously the concepts of Sabbath. Those concepts are not merely for the professionals. I heard friends say that the podcasts based on the book were better.
  • Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Replenish: Leading from a Healthy Soul
  • Mad Church Disease: Overcoming the Burnout Epidemic
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Leaders Who Last
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction (The Pastoral series, #4)
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?
  • Essential Church?: Reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts
  • Ignite: How to Spark Immediate Growth in Your Church

“Solitude is a chosen separation for refining your soul. Isolation is what you crave when you neglect the first.” 95 likes
“We don't forget that we are Christians. We forget that we are human, and that one oversight alone can debilitate the potential of our future.” 7 likes