Homeschooling for the Rest of Us: How Your One-Of-A-Kind Family Can Make Homeschooling and Real Life Work

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Homeschooling parents are under great pressure. Besides trying to balance teaching responsibilities and family life, they often face unrealistic expectations from relatives, churches, other homeschoolers, and society at large. Even parents considering homeschooling sense the need to be perfect.
Sonya Haskins doesn't want any more families to give up on homeschooling. In th...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Homeschooling for the Rest of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschooling for the Rest of Us

I’m not a homeschooling mom, however, my husband and I have always said that if ever one or both of our children were to suffer from bullying or extreme difficulty with a teacher, we would pull them out of school and homeschool temporarily and as long as necessary. Thus far, our children are doing very well in school.

Nonetheless, when I was given the opportunity to review Homeschooling for the Rest of Us, I took it. And although I have a close friend who homeschools her children, this book was t...more
Pastoralmusings
Sonya Haskins has done a great job writing this book. Her experience, wisdom, empathy, as well as her passion for homeschooling have enabled her to greatly help the homeschooling community.
Haskins starts out by reminding us that the perfect families that we see in the magazines are usually not so perfect: they have their bad days, too. She reminds us that we need not set our goals so high that they can never be reached. Homeschooling families often stress themselves out, burn themselves out, and...more
Stephen Escalera
I was homeschooled for the vast majority of my 12 years of school. But it wasn't until my wife and I started homeschooling our own children that I realized just how stressful it can be. To put it simply enough, homeschooling can be intimidating. This is a fitting point for me to stop and give a huge "thank you" to my parents for sticking it out. Thanks Mom and Dad!

It's fairly intimidating to know that you are responsible for your children's education, and not just in the sense of making sure the...more
Title: HOMESCHOOLING FOR THE REST OF US
Author: Sonya Haskins
Publisher: Bethany House
January 2010
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0739-6
Genre: Inspirational/home school

It’s time to break a myth: Homeschooling families aren’t perfect. (from back cover)

Are you tired of seeing the pictures of large homeschooling families, all dressed immaculately, and in matching clothes designed by their preteen daughter in her spare time? Good news! There are some families out there that are just normal people, we don’t have twel...more
Abbie Riddle
Homeschooling for the Rest of Us, Sonya Haskins
I wish I had this book in hand my first year of homeschooling instead of some that I did. This is a surprising inspiration to the homeschooling family. It is not packed with rigid home school ideals, schedules, or unattainable goals. Rather Sonya Haskins inspires the reader through her candidness to seek out the best approach to homeschooling for the individual family. Her wit and wisdom as a homeschooling veteran shines through – as does her Christ...more
Kate
I've read quite a few books on homeschooling, and I've seen even more at my local book store and public library, so I was surprised to find that this little volume by Sonya Haskins, was, well, little. At only 172 pages, it's less than half the size of most homeschool books I've seen out there. Personally, I thought this was extremely appropriate! I wouldn't respect a book with a title like Homeschooling for the Rest of Us quite as much if it were three inches thick and took 2 months to read thro...more
Yiya
The author shares her homeschooling experiences in a simple and honest way. She comments on what has worked for her family and offers practical solutions to every day situations that may arise, always having in consideration that family context and needs are always different. Therefore, she focuses on making people realize that, if they're homeschooling, they need to find their own way and use what works for them, attaining a unique and individualized education. It is generally thought that educ...more
Kris
'Homeschooling for the Rest of Us' by Sonya Haskins provides down-to-earth, doable advice for parents considering or currently providing homeschooling. Haskins works hard to disrupt the illusion that you need to be a perfect teacher, parent, community volunteer, and general saint to home school. She reassures the reader that it is okay to have a messy house at times or to feel stressed out; no one is perfect! Sonya provides several suggestions to try in difficult situations, potential routines a...more
Sunflower
"What about socialization?"
"Don't you have to have a degree to homeschool?"
"How can you handle being around your kids all the time"

Did you know that in an informal survey that the author, Sonya Haskins, did, that 93 percent of those polled (friends, relatives, the educational community) that is was felt that standards placed on homeschoolers are higher than those placed on educators?

Not fair you may think and even then, ever have thoughts of how to manage your time, your home, your sanity while...more
Sheila
I received a free copy of this through Goodreads First Reads.
As a homeschooler I have to admit I have read many diffferent homeschooling genre books. This book was enjoyable in that it dealt with the non-perfect homeschoolers. You know, those whose children are not the perfect academic wonders who excel in all they do, while their smiling perfect parents beam at them from their perfect, neat home.
This book talks about all kinds of homeschoolers, and how life is not "perfect" but how that is oka...more
Cafelilybookreviews
May 10, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschooling families

Whether you’ve been homeschooling for years or have just started – you’ll find something you can use in this book. Sonya breaks down the many challenges that homeschool parents face, and offers ideas and solutions. In the sidebar of many pages, there is also commentary from various homeschool parents sharing their ideas, struggles and tips. Sonya tackles everything from socialization, homeschooling on a budget, routines, schedules, dealing with relatives, special needs children, how to downsize...more
Alba
Jul 06, 2011 Alba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschoolers
Whether new to homeschooling or been there, doing that, this is a short book with lots of good information. As a new homeschooler, it would be good to read cover to cover, but for those who have been doing it at least a few years can get much out of it reading only the sections that pertain to your current situation, which is what I did.

Her point of view is very open. She does not cater to any specific homeschooling style, but includes them throughout. She also covers a wide
range of topics from...more
Margaret
Mar 31, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschooling parents
Recommended to Margaret by: Bethany House
This book might be little, but it is a plethora and wealth of interesting information. In the case of someone like myself considering homeschooling, but still unsure this book is fabulous. Even if you already know you plan to homeschool or you are currently homeschooling this little book will have plenty of information to help you along the way. From realistic routines to messy homes and living with a budget Sonya Haskins, author, homeschooling mother extraordinaire provides pages upon pages of...more
Sarah Hackley
This was a little preachy for my tastes, and I found that the heavy handed religious comments interfered with the readability. There also wasn't much new information here for me, though I imagine absolute newbies might find it useful.
Krista
I finished reading this book the other day and I found it to be a pretty good book for the beginning Christian home school family. There is no certain method you "must" follow, which I like because we are more eclectic in our homeschooling style. I feel this book would be a handy book to use while considering home schooling or when you are starting out.

We have been home schooling for over 9 years and I did find a little that I gleaned. However I find that it would best be used for a newbie.

I r...more
April Franklin
Short, but some good advice. I found the advice on scheduling to be helpful and something I had been trying to figure out.
Tana
The book was readable, not too long, and had some good info. I did feel that the title or description should have pointed out that the book was told very much from a Christian perspective. If that helps you, and if this book is readily available to you, you might enjoy this book, but I read this after reading Linda Dobson's The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child, and found that one far better in terms of content, organization, writing, and overall comprehensiveness.
Emily Woodham
This is a great book whether you're a seasoned a homeschooler or brand new to the concept! It's an easy read full of good encouragement and wise suggestions. I particularly like the way the author blasts perfectionism and false-pressure in homeschooling. It was the perfect read for me during our Christmas break!
Julie Levenhagen
This book was okay. My son has ADHD, and the author's advice (in the chapter about homeschooling with special needs) to "teach your child to sit still" lost me a little. If I could do that, I'd be a miracle worker, but thanks for the advice, Ms. Haskins. *commence olympic eye rolling*
Erin

Worth reading if you are considering homeschool. This book looks at it practically and provides simple and helpful insights from someone who has "been there, done that".
I just started homeschooling and this has been an invaluable read. Even though this comes from a Christian perspective, if you aren't into that it's still very helpful.
Sanz
Super quick read. I really enjoyed the overall theme, which was "Follow your own path." There were great ideas for scheduling, chores, misbehavior, attitudes, etc.
Jennifer AM
Some good advice but I'd really like to find some books on homeschooling that don't refer to the author's personal religious convictions every other page.
Samantha
The first parenting/homeschooling book I've picked up that I couldn't put down. The book is fast paced, engaging, encouraging, and full of practical ideas.
Lynn
I found this book to be an enjoyable read that provided valuable information. I took plenty of notes while reading this book.
Michele
Might be a good read for a newbie to homeschooling, but I didn't find anything striking in it.
Lexi Woodward
this book really helped clear up some confusion!
Rob
Jul 23, 2010 Rob marked it as to-read
Won from a goodreads giveaway.
Child960801
A handy and practical book.
Sally
Jan 18, 2010 Sally marked it as to-read
entered the giveaway
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sonya Haskins is a veteran homeschooling mom of five children and an active homeschooling consultant and advocate. She is the author of several books, including The Homeschooler's Book of Lists, and her articles have appeared in Homeschooling Today, Guideposts for Teens, and other magazines. She has served in leadership positions for the homeschooling community on a local, regional, and state leve...more
More about Sonya Haskins...
The Homeschooler's Book of Lists: Than 250 Lists, Charts, and Facts to Make Planning Easier and Faster Knoxville Zoo [TN] (Images of America) The Homeschooler's Book of Lists: More Than 250 Lists, Charts, and Factsto Make Planning Easier and Faster Parentguide: The Ultimate Resource for the Tri-Cities